• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Typing across cultures

laterlazer

good, hot, fresh, fly ~
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Firstly idk if there's already a thread on this, if there is holla at me with the link and I'll forward my self.

Generally, just wanted to know if people think there's slight or significant differences when typing people of different cultures. Ofc there's already individual differences but do you think that some of the basic principles of a personality type could be partly affected by the society/culture that the person is a part of?

Do you have any examples where you found it hard to type someone because of a significant culture difference making them come across as a different personality type?
Or do you want to share about yourself and how you think you might be/have been mistyped because a difference in culture has made you come across as a certain personality type?
Also, do you think the way you go about typing people should change based on the culture they're a part of? Do you naturally do this, or do you have to actively make an effort to adjust how you go about it?

I'm just thinking about this from a perspective where we assume individual differences are negligible within a culture btw.

Lastly, peri peri chicken or fried chicken?

Punderstorm

Wallflower power!
MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
This is an interesting concept. I think culture can influence personality and mask true traits. A feeler in one culture could seem thinker-like to another. It all depends on perspective. I've never typed anyone outside my culture because I often don't find people like that, to me culture isn't an issue.

I'm not speaking to mbti, but to the more general matter of how we experience people with similar traits in different cultures, I will say that in part how a person perceives him/herself and what value is attributed to that both by self and other necessarily has to vary with the order of importance that one ascribes to the experiences one has access to.