• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Trump vs. Biden

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If Dominion/Scytl didn't have servers in germany, then why was the update to the dominion voting machines from a Frankfort IP address?

KyImiKM.png

eFW5jJU.jpg

Curious they didn't show up to their court case in PA too.

Jonny

null
MBTI Type
FREE
If Dominion/Scytl didn't have servers in germany, then why was the update to the dominion voting machines from a Frankfort IP address?

Curious they didn't show up to their court case in PA too.

It isn't particularly helpful to post pictures if it is unclear of their source. Also, it wasn't a "court case." It was a "virtual fact-finding hearing."

Jaguar

Harrisburg, PA — Pennsylvania Republicans are calling into question Dominion voting machines, used by over 1.3 million Pennsylvanians as part of their risk-limiting audits of the election process in all 67 counties.

A roundtable between lawmakers and dominion officials was planned, but Dominion ultimately backed out, leading to more questions than answers from Republicans.

OMG!!!! SEE, THEY'RE GUILTY!!!! I DON'T HAVE ANY EVIDENCE BUT I JUST KNOW!!!!!!!

But . . .

Dominion has released a statement:

"As we await the opportunity to debunk the baseless conspiracy theories being offered about Dominion and its voting systems in a court of law based on yesterday's press conference claims that litigation is coming, we had to ask for a postponement of the discussion."

“Notably, our company doesn't even support Philadelphia, or some of the other jurisdictions being targeted by attorneys in their remarks."

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It isn't particularly helpful to post pictures if it is unclear of their source. Also, it wasn't a "court case." It was a "virtual fact-finding hearing."

From what I could find Scytl and Dominion are two completely unrelated companies, neither of which has offices or servers in Germany and neither of which was subject to a raid.

Also, both the watermarked ballots myth and the raid myth were started by QAnon and then gained traction through social media spreading.

Jaguar

In terms of cognitive processes, people with stronger conspiracy beliefs are more likely to overestimate the likelihood of co-occurring events, to attribute intentionality where it is unlikely to exist, and to have lower levels of analytic thinking.

None of this should be surprising, because once you start to analyze a situation with demonstrable facts, it usually — and quite thoroughly — will break down the conspiracy theory into its component parts, none of which make sense standing on their own. Once a person starts inventing a narrative out of thin air, you can see very little critical thinking occurring.

Lantian et al. (2017)

Jonny

null
MBTI Type
FREE
An interesting chart I made comparing the robustness of a winning candidates electoral college win in terms of % margin in each contest. The y-axis is the margin, and the x-axis is electoral votes normalized such that "100" equals the necessary number of electoral votes to win. I did this because in one of my examples the requisite number of EV's was 269 rather than 270.

What is interesting is how handicapped Biden is in terms of the distribution of his votes. Comparing his line to Obama's, they follow each other fairly closely, but diverge from about 82 thru 158, crossing at around 130. Basically, Biden traded his margin in the states necessary to get to 270 EV's in exchange for larger margins in states that would have allowed him to get to just over 400 EV's.

Biden's tipping point state margin is closer to Trump's in 2020 and JFK's in 1960, despite the fact that in both cases the national popular vote margin was very close (or won by the other candidate). What is particularly interesting is that Biden's EV margins in 2020 are better in almost all cases than Trump's margins in 2016 except around the few states that are needed to clinch the 270th electoral vote.

Another interesting observation is how much more flat the graph looks for the two earlier elections (1960 & 1976), indicating less polarization of the states. The 2012-2020 election results all are very similarly polarized.

Not that this is news to many of you...

mlW7XWv.png

Jaguar

Conspiracy Theories Make a Person Feel Special

Lantian et al.’s (2017) research examined the role of a person’s need for uniqueness and a belief of conspiracy theories, and found a correlation.

We argue that people high in need for uniqueness should be more likely than others to endorse conspiracy beliefs because conspiracy theories represent the possession of unconventional and potentially scarce information. […] Moreover, conspiracy theories rely on narratives that refer to secret knowledge (Mason, 2002) or information, which, by definition, is not accessible to everyone, otherwise it would not be a secret and it would be a well-known fact.

People who believe in conspiracy theories can feel “special,” in a positive sense, because they may feel that they are more informed than others about important social and political events. […]

Our findings can also be connected to recent research demonstrating that individual narcissism, or a grandiose idea of the self, is positively related to belief in conspiracy theories. Interestingly, Cichocka et al. (2016) found that paranoid thought mediates the relationship between individual narcissism and conspiracy beliefs.

The current work suggests, however, that need for uniqueness could be an additional mediator of this relationship. Indeed, previous work has shown that narcissism is positively correlated with need for uniqueness (Emmons, 1984) and here we showed that need for uniqueness is related to conspiracy belief.

Jonny

null
MBTI Type
FREE

Lantian et al.’s (2017) research examined the role of a person’s need for uniqueness and a belief of conspiracy theories, and found a correlation.

We argue that people high in need for uniqueness should be more likely than others to endorse conspiracy beliefs because conspiracy theories represent the possession of unconventional and potentially scarce information. […] Moreover, conspiracy theories rely on narratives that refer to secret knowledge (Mason, 2002) or information, which, by definition, is not accessible to everyone, otherwise it would not be a secret and it would be a well-known fact.

People who believe in conspiracy theories can feel “special,” in a positive sense, because they may feel that they are more informed than others about important social and political events. […]

Our findings can also be connected to recent research demonstrating that individual narcissism, or a grandiose idea of the self, is positively related to belief in conspiracy theories. Interestingly, Cichocka et al. (2016) found that paranoid thought mediates the relationship between individual narcissism and conspiracy beliefs.

The current work suggests, however, that need for uniqueness could be an additional mediator of this relationship. Indeed, previous work has shown that narcissism is positively correlated with need for uniqueness (Emmons, 1984) and here we showed that need for uniqueness is related to conspiracy belief.

This description really rings true when I think about the 2018 documentary Behind the Curve (clip below).

And now that I look at this clip...they kinda remind me of Trump supporters, lol.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

Oh I agree with this. I think something like QAnon is attractive because the believer can participate. It's like Blues Clues looking for Democrats (never Republicans) that are pedos and trafficking children (Republican policy detains children at the border and many of them have been sexually assaulted but that's clearly not an issue), JFK is still alive and well and apparently pizza is still involved.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This description really rings true when I think about the 2018 documentary Behind the Curve (clip below).

And now that I look at this clip...they kinda remind me of Trump supporters, lol.
Flat Earthers do make me sad. Absolutely sad. I did know one, and this isn't a statistically meaningful sample, but the one I knew was also hardcore Qanon and a Trump supporter. The other Qanon, Trump supporter I knew was a Hollow Earther. At least the Hollow Earthers reference centrifugal force. No one is too concerned with gravity, although the Hollow Earthers will say Earth's gravity should be much stronger if it was solid. There are several movements that are driven by baseless audacity of thought.

What if there is some sort of brain damage occurring in society on a larger scale? :shrug:

The Cat

Offering FREE Monkey paws down at the Crossroads.
Staff member
Flat Earthers do make me sad. Absolutely sad. I did know one, and this isn't a statistically meaningful sample, but the one I knew was also hardcore Qanon and a Trump supporter. The other Qanon, Trump supporter I knew was a Hollow Earther. At least the Hollow Earthers reference centrifugal force. No one is too concerned with gravity, although the Hollow Earthers will say Earth's gravity should be much stronger if it was solid. There are several movements that are driven by baseless audacity of thought.

What if there is some sort of brain damage occurring in society on a larger scale? :shrug:

a collective madness...I wonder that too

interesting times indeed...

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Almost as if you guys think you have to be able to Google something to believe it, or find it credible.