• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Tarot Thread

Abcdenfp

Terpsichore
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W8
you can also get a Tarot spread, so they show you how to lay the cards for yourself and ask the question.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think you can have more than one deck. From what I understand, gifting a deck is a good thing, so look for someone to give a deck to you, and if you find better you can give your old one away.

From what I understand, the 'rules' differ from person to person. Some say you absolutely mustn't for various reasons (bias, it just won't spiritually work, fear of hubris, etc), some are more flexible. Those who don't read for themselves get other people to.
I have never heard of any prohibition on having more than one Tarot deck, or on doing readings for oneself. I have never tried doing Tarot readings for anyone, but occasionally do rune castings for myself. I'm not very good at it, but that has nothing to do with the fact that I am the subject. I can see benefit in both: reading for yourself, and having someone else do it.

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I have never heard of any prohibition on having more than one Tarot deck, or on doing readings for oneself. I have never tried doing Tarot readings for anyone, but occasionally do rune castings for myself. I'm not very good at it, but that has nothing to do with the fact that I am the subject. I can see benefit in both: reading for yourself, and having someone else do it.

Oh boy, depending on what kind of spirituality you follow I've heard stuff like when you own a tarot deck you either hide the deck forever, or your face forever (i.e you read for someone separately or you read for them on the spot but with your face hidden by a veil / behind a curtain / etc)- forgot the reason why, but it's a thing. Tarot isn't a cut and dry thing so it's very much YMMV, some folks think sticking to form and ritual preserves a kind of spiritual integrity and lets them be closer to the truth than if they 'freestyled' (same as how some religious groups want you to do things- if you don't interpret things THIS CERTAIN WAY then it's 'wrong').

I think the weird rules are especially true the more 'popular' a style or a person is. On a more 'logical' and non spiritual level, people are discouraged from reading for themselves because they'd be biased or, if they received a 'bad reading', would keep re-casting their cards/runes/etc to get a 'good reading' instead. This has been less true ime for individuals (like this thread) sharing tarot tips.

As a small OOT, ime, folks who congregate into a formal system or group usually fight about which one is the 'correct' way to read, sometimes with arbitrary restrictions. Then some would drift apart and begin labelling themselves 'eclectic, esoteric witch', etc. Nothing bad with that, but it ends up becoming more a label and broadcasted identity and a private, personal spiritual experience- form over function, showmanship over experience.

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I guess, having said that, I'm curious (and I hope this isn't too much of a joykill / that they are fun questions and could prompt discussion)- if you are a reader or aspiring:

1) How did you find tarot?

2) What are your rules with tarot?
(It doesn't have to be a strict thing or about what you do, it can also be how you interpret things. For example, some people believe that if you drop your cards three times while shuffling them, it means that the reading isn't meant to be done, and some think it means those cards have special meaning- read also jumper cards, which has a lot of interpretation to what they mean: [1] [2].)

3) Aside from looking up tarot meanings in a book / online, were you tutored or do you go with 'what feels right'?

4) Do you create your own spreads / have you created your own spread before?

5) What's your favourite Major Arcana and Minor Arcana card?

Tagging @Merced @GoggleGirl17 @Totenkindly @тень @Abcdenfp

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I guess, having said that, I'm curious (and I hope this isn't too much of a joykill / that they are fun questions and could prompt discussion)- if you are a reader or aspiring:

(It doesn't have to be a strict thing or about what you do, it can also be how you interpret things. For example, some people believe that if you drop your cards three times while shuffling them, it means that the reading isn't meant to be done, and some think it means those cards have special meaning- read also jumper cards, which has a lot of interpretation to what they mean: [1] [2].)

3) Aside from looking up tarot meanings in a book / online, were you tutored or do you go with 'what feels right'?

1)I simply came across it when I was a lot younger, and at the time had gotten into Satanism and magic orientated things. I bought the deck at Hastings.

2)When it comes to actually knowing how to do tarot, I definitely fall into the amateur area. The only things I do that others seem to not do, is use "upside down" cards in readings. Meaning their meaning is reversed/opposite. How I read them is also a LOT different, and probably kinda... wrong. Because I go with simple, gist like readings rather than extensive ones. How I interpret the cards is generally based on guides. I have not remembered most of the card's meanings.

3)I have a guide book, and I have had online definitions. But I don't go super rigid with those, hence saying I do "gist" readings.

4) I exclusively just do the 3 card spreads, generally the "Past, present, future".

5) The Tower is the only card I would consider my "Favorite", and I am not particular to any minor arcana.

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp

1) I've always known about tarot and found it interesting. I've gotten a reading done by friends who casually participated in it. Then at my new job, when I was teaching two coworkers about MBTI and enneagram, she explained to me how tarot can hit the same beats in term of doing it as a hobby. Turns out this personality bullshit really increased my ability to read patterns in things, including cards and their meanings.

2) My rules (so far) are as follows:
-Do not use Tarot for evil.
-Do not lie when reading tarot.
-Always pile shuffle.
-Never do readings while tired, be it physically or emotionally.​

3) I use Labyrinthos and a book called How to Read Tarot: A Modern Guide by Jessica Wiggan. I am trying to ween off the book and go fully to Labyrinthos but yeah.

4) I have not created my own spread.

5) The Sun and the Queen of Pentacles for reasons that are obvious to anyone that has met me.

Mole

Permabanned
Just like Rohrshach tests?

For 300,000 years we relied on our imagination, and built up a huge menagerie of mythical figures, stories, and practices, then about four centuries ago we discovered a way to determine what is true and what ia not true, by evidence and reason. And we also discovered how easy it is to fool ourselves.

And we know now the more educated we are the less likely are we to believe what we are told without evidence and reason.

And it is plain that many here wallow in traditional beliefs and practices. They actually believe them.

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
For 300,000 years we relied on our imagination, and built up a huge menagerie of mythical figures, stories, and practices, then about four centuries ago we discovered a way to determine what is true and what ia not true, by evidence and reason. And we also discovered how easy it is to fool ourselves.

And we know now the more educated we are the less likely are we to believe what we are told without evidence and reason.

And it is plain that many here wallow in traditional beliefs and practices. They actually believe them.

What is evidence and reason to one person might not be evidence and reason to another. The truth we all live is widely dependent upon our perceptions for not all can be measured but by our own lenses of sight. The more we know the more we know we don't know, yet the more we don't know the more we know. There are so many perceptions and vastly different experiences that a singular judgement from a singular mind no matter how enlightened could still be missing something you'll never know nor desire to know. It's hard to stray from our comforts to truly explore the foundations of existence and truly formulate an in depth understanding from more than one perspective. A, uh, "big picture", if you will.

Mole

Permabanned
What is evidence and reason to one person might not be evidence and reason to another. The truth we all live is widely dependent upon our perceptions for not all can be measured but by our own lenses of sight. The more we know the more we know we don't know, yet the more we don't know the more we know. There are so many perceptions and vastly different experiences that a singular judgement from a singular mind no matter how enlightened could still be missing something you'll never know nor desire to know. It's hard to stray from our comforts to truly explore the foundations of existence and truly formulate an in depth understanding from more than one perspective. A, uh, "big picture", if you will.

Our Space telescopes have led us to believe there are other planets with intelligent life in our universe.

And we know all intelligent life will discover the truth of physics, chemistry, biology, and cosmology as we have.

We also know their religions will be different from our religions, just as our religions on Earth are different from each other.

Of course the New Age religion says evidence and reason to one person might not be evidence and reason to another, but evidence and reason found in physics, chemistry, biology, and cosmology is exactly the same in all parts of our universe.

Abcdenfp

Terpsichore
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W8
Anyyyy wayyy.. to answer the questions
I have always been fascinated by tarot cards and have had several readings.
recently I have written a couple of stories for "This Witch" magazine and started to really study the process and in particular the spreads ( see one of her articles and spread example below)
I still have a lot to learn and have always wanted my own deck but energetically I am always cautious about the magic I bring into my space and would have ultimately loved to been gifted one. But now that we are having these discussions and it lends into the psychological aspect of it, I am seriously thinking about purchasing a set, for further discussions.
I love [MENTION=27952]Merced[/MENTION] rules they make a lot of sense to me, and would be something I adopt.
b3477ce9f621ece4e4157b1389c32742.jpeg

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
2)When it comes to actually knowing how to do tarot, I definitely fall into the amateur area. The only things I do that others seem to not do, is use "upside down" cards in readings. Meaning their meaning is reversed/opposite. How I read them is also a LOT different, and probably kinda... wrong. Because I go with simple, gist like readings rather than extensive ones. How I interpret the cards is generally based on guides. I have not remembered most of the card's meanings.

I'm super confused, isn't that what reversed cards are? Cards that are laid upside down that have an opposite meaning? If so, you are far from alone.

Also try the Celtic Cross, it's a great spread to get better at extensive readings.

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I'm hardcore struggling with the Minor Arcana and I found this, in case anyone was running into the same roadblock as me:

Do it systematically...

Coins are all earth, associated with material and practical things.

Cups are water, associated with emotion and feelings.

Swords are air, intellect, logic, communication.

Wands are fire, all about passion and creativity and willpower.

Then look at the numbers.

Ace- potential, 2 conflict, 3 growth, 4 rest/achievement, 5 struggle, etc.

So if you pull the 5 of coins without even looking at the imagery you have a suggestion of a material struggle... The 2 of swords, a conflict of the mind... it gives a good staring point which to build from and add layers to.

For the court card my favorite method is to use them in conjunction with MBTI... 16 cards, 16 personality types.​
-Reddit​

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm hardcore struggling with the Minor Arcana and I found this, in case anyone was running into the same roadblock as me:

Do it systematically...

Coins are all earth, associated with material and practical things.

Cups are water, associated with emotion and feelings.

Swords are air, intellect, logic, communication.

Wands are fire, all about passion and creativity and willpower.

Then look at the numbers.

Ace- potential, 2 conflict, 3 growth, 4 rest/achievement, 5 struggle, etc.

So if you pull the 5 of coins without even looking at the imagery you have a suggestion of a material struggle... The 2 of swords, a conflict of the mind... it gives a good staring point which to build from and add layers to.

For the court card my favorite method is to use them in conjunction with MBTI... 16 cards, 16 personality types.​
-Reddit​

On that page you linked, they actually associate the suits with Jungian functions. Although, the basic description sounds more like the taemperaments than functions: Swords: NT, Cups: NFs, Wands: SP, Coins: SJ.

Mole

Permabanned
Tarot is effective because it entrances us. It serves to put our critical mind to sleep, and wake up our imaginative mind. This is pleasurable, and leads us on.

So Tarot is a passive pleasure, we let the cards direct our imagination. We can learn to entrance ourselves safely, to enter and leave a particular trance at will, and to design a particular trance for a particular purpose. For a good place to start, click The Way of Trance PDF - riffporducalleaufrees6.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm super confused, isn't that what reversed cards are? Cards that are laid upside down that have an opposite meaning? If so, you are far from alone.

Also try the Celtic Cross, it's a great spread to get better at extensive readings.
I am a complete novice at Tarot. Can you or anyone else comment on what kinds of spreads are good for which circumstances: questions, people, etc.?

yeghor

I think F-dominant people are more inclined to do tarot readings though I noticed some ISTJs and ESxPs on youtube doing readings as well.

I noticed that men doing tarot readings also have feminine qualities mostly suggesting they are F-dominant.

I watch tarot readings myself. I notice that it gives me a sense of hope for the future that things will go well so it is a method of self-suggestion (or manifestation as they call it I guess).

There used to be a great tarot channel called "Channel Manna" but at some point she closed her channel. There were times I felt her reading was specifically aimed at me (resonate as they call it) but might as well be a coincidence.

She used to use this deck called "The Wild Unknown Spirit" deck.

TWU_animal_spirit3_ac0a23b3-ade6-424c-8bc7-76127ba3a12b_1200x1200.jpg