• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Nevers

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Apparently this dropped last night, so...

Review: 'The Nevers' is HBO's next great fantasy series

Split into two parts consisting of six and four episodes apiece due to production delays caused by the COVID-19 pandemic (the second installment's premiere date has yet to be announced), “The Nevers” is a joy to watch and a thrill to follow. Supernatural realism, complex storytelling, fantastical powers and topical realties meet in this smart, suspenseful and colorful production. A litany of nuanced characters keep this otherworldly tale grounded. Suspenseful sleuthing and action-packed battles move the story along at a rapid clip. And all the lush scenery and ambitious wardrobe along the way — from London’s sewers to its high society — are a visual candy shop of period nostalgia.

The city is abustle, still reeling from an inexplicable event three years earlier that imbued a portion of the female population, and a handful of men, with paranormal abilities. “The Touched,” as they’re so delicately called, inspire some curiosity and plenty of fear among their fellow citizens, and a campaign to rid England of this “feminine plague” is building steam.

Touched widow Amalia True (Laura Donnelly) offers a safe haven for these human “oddities” in an old orphanage. She possesses extraordinary fighting skills, sees snippets of the future and drinks like a sailor. Her bestie, inventor Penance Adair (Ann Skelly), sees all forms of energy — which comes in handy during the dawn of electricity — and devises machines, weapons and more to defend against those who wish her cohabitants harm. Each has a different power: one makes gardens grow by simply touching the soil; another compels people to spill their deepest secrets in her presence...

Yeah we all get the gist -- it's like X-Men before modern times, Victorian age. it was a Joss Whedon brainchild but he left the series for undisclosed reasons when his social reputation was taking some big hits. Phillipa Goslett is now running the show... I'm not familiar with her prior work, really. The critical assessment of her film work has only been average at best; I'm not sure about her TV work. I guess we will see.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Hopefully it will be better than that awful League of Extraordinary Gentleman movie with Sean Connery.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hopefully it will be better than that awful League of Extraordinary Gentleman movie with Sean Connery.

dear god. I hope so.

the graphic novels were okay, I have the first one or two. But they really screwed the property on-screen. it didn't really translate well into a film, at least not the kind of film they tried to make out of it.

At least this is not an adaptation, so they were free to make it work with the medium.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
dear god. I hope so.

the graphic novels were okay, I have the first one or two. But they really screwed the property on-screen. it didn't really translate well into a film, at least not the kind of film they tried to make out of it.

At least this is not an adaptation, so they were free to make it work with the medium.

Not having read it, I can't say I blame Alan Moore for not wanting to have anything to do with film adaptations. Although V for Vendetta was decent (haven't seen either versions of Watchmen).

Sean Connery said he didn't really get what it was about, but he passed up the chance to do Lord of the Rings and the Matrix, so he thought he should do this because surely it would be the next big thing. (Did he retire after that? Can't say I blame him, especially because I'm sure he doesn't need the money.)

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
dear god. I hope so.

That was the movie that made me stop loving movies.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Not having read it, I can't say I blame Alan Moore for not wanting to have anything to do with film adaptations. Although V for Vendetta was decent (haven't seen either versions of Watchmen).

I'm probably more of a stickler, as I did not like the movie despite it being a Wachowski thing so to speak. They changed the character of V (in the book he might "flirt" with Evey, but he's not actually in love with her except in the most philosophical sense -- he's the "insane" sane man that is restoring England -- but the film kind of made him into a moany Phantom of the Opera) and it all felt sensationalized, including the gay man. Like, nuance, anyone? (At least they totally NAILED the hair-cutting sequence. I'm happy about that.) Still, I would have rather had it stick more with the book in tone and effect, although then they probably wouldn't have done it because it wasn't going to be a blockbuster; it would have had to be a TV show with some decent sets, etc.

They also Americanized it, fascism in England was a bit different than what we understand of freedom and that kind of thing here.

THe book was really meaningful to me. Like, some parts are dry; but the good parts just blew me away. Now I want to read it again, after talking about it. The culmination of the plots lines is just absolutely brilliant.

I enjoyed the HBO Watchmen, which is basically a "What happened Later" riff that really deals strongly with race. Some things I wasn't as much into, but it was a great example of how to reincarnate a story -- you take the match, the life, of the first story, and use it to light a new match... which is a new match so to speak but lit with the same flame. That was the HBO version. It wasn't a remake or "more of the same," it had its own ballsy story to tell.

I tried to watch Snyder's "Watchmen" but never got more than 20 minutes into it. Big fan of the graphic novel despite its commercialization, but god that film.. eh. Again, very magnificent, and the way the artwork is so mulit-layered and self-referential...

Moore has always been roughly treated in adaptations of his work. I do not blame him either.

Sean Connery said he didn't really get what it was about, but he passed up the chance to do Lord of the Rings and the Matrix, so he thought he should do this because surely it would be the next big thing. (Did he retire after that? Can't say I blame him, especially because I'm sure he doesn't need the money.)

ROFLMAO. Yeah, I think it was his last on-screen role? He did a documentary or something later. (I should correct you to "didn't" need the money, as he died in October. :( )

To be honest, I am very happy with the casting for Gandalf, The Architect, and Dumbledore as it is, so... nothing lost there. Besides, we'll always have Highlander. *snark*

im-ramirez-demotivational-poster-1252002624.jpg

That was the movie that made me stop loving movies.

I think it was very effective in that role.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
He's just setting up to hurt people. That's what Joss Wheadon does. He raises you up, and then he kills off beloved characters. The audiences anguish sustains him.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
He's just setting up to hurt people. That's what Joss Wheadon does. He raises you up, and then he kills off beloved characters. The audiences anguish sustains him.

Well, I never...!
what a soulless ghoul.

Then again, any time a writer can make someone cry, chalk one up on the scoreboard, bua ha ha