• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The 2016 Healthy Habits Thread

MBTI Type
ISIS
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
:D*respect*

That's damned impressive. I'd say that's genetics then. You probably retain more fat there so you'd need to gain more mass in the arms to get the same effect. ������For fig competition/modeling, you do a carb load and dehydrate yourself just before and lift a bit to pop. But for normal daily life.. yeah most of us aren't madonna. ������

Haha yeah that was in relation to genpop. Not knowing your background I thought it would be safer to go with the "norm". ������ What sport do you do? Generally pros are around 16-18% so that's amazing.

One conversation that I often have with my gym buddies is our jealousy of ectomorphs. We're mostly meso/endo types who bulk easily and the hard part for us is not overdoing it on the eating.. and the diet bit ������
Yeah my arms don't have as much shape as I thought they would. I forgot what they were on the test. I don't think I could ever do bikini, the hours of cardio are terrifying.

I do powerlifting and strongman so the only reason my bodyfat is low is due to having to stay below a certain weight. I'm going to have to start water cutting soon though, because I don't think I should go in much lower in bf.

For my sport I would rather be meso or endo, long limbs are the worst!

Do you compete at all, you know a lot about this stuff.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I rather want to be ekto, they at least get clothes. Been shopping for endo clothes for 5 hours today and found just one pullover :/

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yeah my arms don't have as much shape as I thought they would. I forgot what they were on the test. I don't think I could ever do bikini, the hours of cardio are terrifying.
:D A powerlifter would say that. Nah, if you gained upper body mass you'd either have to compensate with lower body or go up a weight cat.. or drop bf but I agree that unless you're competing for figure it's not worth it. You'd end up losing strength.
I do powerlifting and strongman so the only reason my bodyfat is low is due to having to stay below a certain weight. I'm going to have to start water cutting soon though, because I don't think I should go in much lower in bf. For my sport I would rather be meso or endo, long limbs are the worst! Do you compete at all, you know a lot about this stuff.
That's really really amazing because you're at a genetic disadvantage to the mesos. On top of being a female? It's definitely getting more popular but powerlifting is so foreign/scary to most girls.. mad props.
I work out regularly but don't have any drive to compete lol. My passion is on the coaching side, I get a lot of satisfaction from using knowledge to help people to get to where they want to go.. also my primary focus is health and wellbeing so yeah, I don't really approve of crazy things that athletes do for comps like cutting water/crash dieting to make weight or 6-8weeks of broccoli + cardio during a final cut. :wink: For that reason I agree with not reducing bf further.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Ctr1808_Us_AEly_Ec.jpg

My lunch with a friend today after lifting (my usual):
- Fresh romaine lettuce
- Lightly poached broccoli
- Boiled egg whites
- Half-boiled egg
- Grilled chicken breast

Her salad:
- Brown rice
- fresh baby spinach
- fresh baby tomatoes
- Steak
- Boiled egg whites

It was delicious. :D Big fan of this chain.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Meanwhile, I ate a giant quesadilla and feel really sick afterwards @_@ .. The downsides of eating fairly healthy is when you get such a rich meal out of no where you feel really gross and sick foreevveerrr after... it was sooo yummy looking on the menu though! :cry:

Yesterday I WAS going to do a work out, but instead did a beast session because I accidentally flooded the crawlspace of the house.. so yesterday, and today, it is hours of low crawling, swimmers (from only having space to lift my hands a bit above my head swimmer-style to wring the rag out into the bucket) and more low crawling with weights (the bucket, which needs balancing so it won't spill) all the way back out of the house, then going back in to deposit a dehumidifier in the space for a few hours while I move to the next one.

Almost done though. My shoulders are dead.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Meanwhile, I ate a giant quesadilla and feel really sick afterwards @_@ .. The downsides of eating fairly healthy is when you get such a rich meal out of no where you feel really gross and sick foreevveerrr after... it was sooo yummy looking on the menu though! :cry:
I totally get that. When your body is used to "healthy" and minimally processed, it doesn't react well to sugar/fat in large amounts anymore.. sometimes I go for a big meal of something off-plan and regret it because I feel so ill after. People who eat that stuff regularly think that I'm lying about feeling sick though..

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I totally get that. When your body is used to "healthy" and minimally processed, it doesn't react well to sugar/fat in large amounts anymore.. sometimes I go for a big meal of something off-plan and regret it because I feel so ill after. People who eat that stuff regularly think that I'm lying about feeling sick though..

I think most of the time it is over eating for me.. I do eat rich foods still, but in such small amounts.. A peice of cheese on a healthy sandwich, or avocado on toast being the entire meal versus a garnish on the meal.. filling my stomach up with cheese, tortilla, meat, and fat with the same volume that I do normally with plain old rice + bits of veggies is going to take a looooott longer to digest and feel heavier. :laugh: And when you're not used to over eating, it does feel sickening.. that's a very real thing..

And then I have the pressure of "this is good, I paid for it, and it won't be a very good leftover so what I don't eat is trash." :doh: :shrug:

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Thinking of getting back into regular exercise videos. Maybe going through the free month of Betty Rocker vids again. Unless I'm being too optimistic re: my ability to get up when it's dark out (goddammit S.A.D.), it could be a good way to force me to actually wake up and get energized on dreary fall/winter mornings. Not to mention, I'm happy to say that 2x climbing and 1x running per week really feels like not enough exercise now(!).

Also! More additions to this (since the list is working well so far):
After a month of (comparatively) insane spending due to stress and lack of energy, I'm finally back to a point, mentally, where I can get back to normal spending levels.

My plan for how to do that is as follows.

1. Buy coffee beans (coarse-ground at the store) and make french press coffee in the morning
2. Eat the easiest possible grab-and-go breakfasts -- muffins (made over the weekend) or fresh fruit or granola bars
3. Keep a nice mug at work to encourage drinking office coffee in the afternoon
4. Cook 1-2 recipes per month that immediately go into the freezer, and keep said dishes at work and at home to prepare for no-energy/lazy days, and to disincentivize eating out
5. Make sure energizing snacks are always in the gym bag on climbing days, so as not to buy overpriced snacks at the gym
6. Invite friends over for dinner parties in the future -- especially crappy dinner parties, where dinner is comprised only of ingredients that were already lying around
7. GET MORE SLEEP! Self-restraint is easier when you're not exhausted
8. Ride bike somewhere(? anywhere?) once a week to get used to the idea of bike riding -- maybe try Saturday mornings? Still not sure how to get into the swing of this, but I am clearly not ready for the bike commute, so... whatever else I can attempt is good, and will prepare me to start saving money on public transport down the road
9. Run the 4 miles home from work on Mondays and Thursdays, or any 1-2 days a week that the weather isn't terrible

I know that feeling and I hate it. My solution is smaller portions. If I can't stomach it in smaller portions, then maybe I should adjust my diet so I stay used to it. Cookies and ice cream add enough joy to my life that it's worth it. :)

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Bought a new workout shirt :D

[MENTION=2]Ivy[/MENTION]

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp

Yep. This definitely happens to me. Mostly with fried foods, or large amounts of cheese. I vividly remember the first time I ate something fried after radically changing my diet. I was at the coast and ordered calamari and french fries. I was in so much pain afterwards. :( Thankfully, I still eat pizza often enough that it doesn't usually bother me too much. But, I also usually go for vegetarian to minimize grease.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Today was going to be climbing day, but instead it was CSA bag day and fridge cleanout day. Why was it fridge cleanout day? Because the only way I could fit all that damn CSA food in my fridge was if I cooked a bunch of stuff (not to mention re-tupperwared and rearranged everything). And that took most of my evening, after picking up the food and buying supplemental groceries.

Most of the evening's cooking was just sauteeing random leftover veggies and combining them with quinoa and lemon tahini dressing to make grain bowls for work lunches. But I also made this to freeze: Coconut Red Kuri Squash Soup | VeguKate

Things I still need to cook to make room in the fridge (it is currently PACKED):

- Broccoli soba noodles with peanut sauce ( [MENTION=19948]Showbread[/MENTION] I think I'm going to try to spiralize the non-flower part of the broccoli. Or I'll grate it with a cheese grater to make my own broccoli slaw. And I'll use the rest for something else.)

- Easy Baked Gnocchi with Tomatoes and Mozzarella | The Floating Kitchen (with tomato sauce from scratch: Marcella Hazan’s Tomato Sauce Recipe - NYT Cooking )

- Shakshuka with red peppers, leftover onion, harissa, and the one can of tomatoes I have left in the pantry

- Baked Acorn Squash with Greek Yogurt, Honey & Pecans (my new breakfast obsession)

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Do you roast the acorn squash and then freeze it?
Nope -- roast, eat half, refrigerate other half, and re-heat in the morning. I've never tried to freeze squash actually.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Quote of the day:

"Food should feed your cravings and your body. Your body should say, 'Fuck yeah!' and your tongue should say, "Why the fuck not?!"
- Justin Cucci, Denver-based chef/restauranteur

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Went hiking out with my HEMA group and it was AWESOME. A 2 mile hike (not too bad), and 2 hours of practice. I only jumped in a couple times. I need gear. I keep switching off with other people, but I do need a set of my own. I ordered some hip protector/cup shorts on amazon today because I got caught where the sun don't shine and it definitely hurt, and I'll get a throat protector as well eventually... I'm going to buy a jacket last I think, but protecting my hips is paramount because of my current problems with them. Elbow protection I need to pick up as well, but that's cheap enough if I keep my eyes open.

FB just released an 8-week challenge that's all new.. :) I'm excited about it.. but since I won't start it until after vacation, here's what I'm doing for now:
- 5 day challenge for people who get bored easily
- 3 day flexibility challenge

Then vacation time.. where I think I'll do work outs, but I'll limit them to hotel-room visits if I use a video and 10-15 minute lengths. I'm going to do a lot of walking, using stairs, and other things to keep my energy levels up.

Lark

Quote of the day:

"Food should feed your cravings and your body. Your body should say, 'Fuck yeah!' and your tongue should say, "Why the fuck not?!"
- Justin Cucci, Denver-based chef/restauranteur

There's a class digression in the book The Art of Being by Erich Fromm about the difference between Why? and Why Not? And how the former is harder to answer than the later and therefore the later rather than the former is what most people base their judgement on.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Wooowwww has it really been a month since I posted here?!

Jeeze Kyuuuu. :wizfreak:

So, with Thanksgiving around the corner, I'm making a super healthy dish to bring and a super unhealthy dish. Roasted multi colored carrots, and pumpkin stuffing.. my signature dish. I'm making a big dish for friendsgiving, and two small dishes for family thanksgiving (BF and his mom and her bf) and work that evening.

I've been cooking mostly healthy meals, but I haven't been exercising the way I used to... and it shows. Physically shows. :laugh: I was driving my car and I felt a weird sensation on my sides.. Like, I couldn't figure out what was going on. WTF IS THAT!? ... Turns out, I've gained juuuuust enough fat on my tummy area that my sides were jiggling with the vibrations of the car. :laugh: I've never experienced that before so that was interesting. But it's my fault, I got hormone-based birth control so that I wouldn't be miserable half a month every month, and I gotta pay for that with daily real exercise.

I've been a slacker and doing 10 minutes here, stretching there, outdoor chores, HEMA once a week.. and little else. I need to step up my game and be serious for a minute. I used to do 2 hours of physical activity every single day on top of my normal daily activities. It obviously isn't enough to maintain.

Besides the loss of muscle I haven't noticed it too much at all.. so I just need to ramp it up some. Stop being lazy and get out there and run, and stop being lazy and lift some cotdam weights for some REAL time.

So, I'm making a new plan.
- Total day off on my last day of work. I'll just do a stretching video at work itself. If I'm going to have a day off, it's going to be on a day where I've almost had it with work haha.
- Do a stretching video at work every single day I work. Unless it's insanely busy, I usually get a lunch break, and I should use that time to stretch tfo.
- Each work out day... warm up to fitness marshall.
- One of the 30 minute bored-easily exercises on FB.
- Rotate one of the following throughout the 6 days.. 10-15 minute burn out arms, legs, abs, and I've designed my own for my calves, and run. The days I do legs and calves I will run first.
- Do cycles of 1 of the 3-day stretching challenges after each work out.
- I can substitute out a training session for an activity.. I.E. HEMA class will substitute a work out day, hashing will sub, and on thanksgiving we're going out first for a bike ride/hike and that'll sub.. stuff like that... but I'll still do the burn outs, and the stretching, once I get home. So the work outs will be on a rotational basis.. Meaning if I skip a day, the next day becomes "day 2" vs just skipping arm day.

What I'm eating this week:
- As I'm eating down the freezer, I ate leftover rice/cauliflower and TJ orange chicken last night.
- I made some salad, leftover mashed squash, pickled papaya and sauteed veggies for dinners at work the next two nights. I'm busting out a vegetarian chili in a can to go with it all.
- Salad and toasty sandwiches with sauteed garlic spinach for lunches here at the house. I'm going to try experimenting with non-butter toasty sandwiches and see if they come out almost as good..
- Oats for breakfast with pumpkin seeds and almonds sprinkled in.
- After work, I'm cooking up some frozen soup from the freezer, making a box of tabbouleh that's been hanging out in the pantry for a long while, and cooking up some onion/bell pepper/spinach tacos and that'll get me through thursday night and friday.. and Saturday is friendsgiving and the start of tons-of-leftover-food-to-turn-into-meals, so I probably will only eat some oats prior to it to get me through bike riding.

I think next week will just be leftover food + thanksgiving + more leftover food. Probably going to make some turkey salad and lots of toasty thanksgiving sandwiches. :)