• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The 2016 Healthy Habits Thread

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Been really enjoying this climbing gym that my INTP friend has been dragging me to (maybe once every two weeks). I didn't like it initially, but now I like bouldering a lot. I'm terrible at it, and I barely have enough upper body strength for it, but I like it.

OTOH I only like it when I go with other people. I like talking out the process and learning from my friends. (Not to mention, going with friends makes it less likely that you'll be mansplained to by complete strangers.) And I dunno if I'll be able to go climbing with INTP friend after she moves.

Maybe I can find other climbing buddies?

:/

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Been really enjoying this climbing gym that my INTP friend has been dragging me to (maybe once every two weeks). I didn't like it initially, but now I like bouldering a lot. I'm terrible at it, and I barely have enough upper body strength for it, but I like it.

OTOH I only like it when I go with other people. I like talking out the process and learning from my friends. (Not to mention, going with friends makes it less likely that you'll be mansplained to by complete strangers.) And I dunno if I'll be able to go climbing with INTP friend after she moves.

Meetup.com usually has circles of interest that helps find new friends. :) It's how I found HEMA class--WHICH I SLEPT THROUGH LAST NIGHT SO I DIDNT GO. @_@ We definitely need a quieter fan in the house... I couldn't hear my alarm clock over it and boom, before I know it it was 10pm and my hour nap was a 5 hour nap. I haaate naps -_-;;

Anyways, I found a DnD campaign group and I'm thinking once that group dissolves from the DM moving this fall I'll be going to the board game geeks meet up + this HEMA group meet up.... and I was even thinking of starting my own for fitness.

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member
[MENTION=13849]Kye[/MENTION]uui

@_@ I have trouble doing fitness marshall in front of my boyfriend I realized. I dunno why.. it seems so dumb to be self conscious about it since I literally dance in front of him all the time. I think my brain is creating a stupid excuse to say no to doing something. I'll get over it.

I have this mental block too. It’s bizarre when sharing in intimate activity isn’t a problem - but then the self buckles at having actual exercise observed :blush: Let me know if you come up with any solutions to this…

Peaches are in season, and $2 a bucket right now. Hell Yes.

Mmmm…peaches. This weekend we made a sort of ‘Lazy Bellini’. Puree peach in a blender and then freeze. (I added a smudge of stevia and a bit of coconut water). Later, put frozen peach concoction in bottom of a glass, pour sparkling wine over and then a robust red wine on top as liquid garnish. (Licks lips)

IMG_9463%202_zpsalghy7rm.jpg

[MENTION=4945]EJCC[/MENTION]

Hope you find someone else to go with!

Meet up is a great suggestion. Sometimes I will use Yelp to find partners for stuff that doesn't interest my friends. You can ask questions in the 'talk' section. Looking over their reviews and profile allows you to get a small sense of what they might be like.

I suck so bad at upper arm strength! I always think I am doing ok, until I go climbing or surfing (so much paddling :().

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
[MENTION=13849]I have this mental block too. It’s bizarre when sharing in intimate activity isn’t a problem - but then the self buckles at having actual exercise observed :blush: Let me know if you come up with any solutions to this…

If I had any talent in dancing I might be less nervous.. but it's a work out vehicle for me.. sooo..:laugh: No problems lifting weights in front of my bf.. but this dancing? Maybe when I get better at it. Which I'm hoping will passively come from practicing once a day for 3 minutes. :doh: :laugh: The reality? It's only 3 minutes... so whenever I catch him going outside for a short errand of some sort, I just do it then. :D

Mmmm…peaches. This weekend we made a sort of ‘Lazy Bellini’. Puree peach in a blender and then freeze. (I added a smudge of stevia and a bit of coconut water). Later, put frozen peach concoction in bottom of a glass, pour sparkling wine over and then a robust red wine on top as liquid garnish. (Licks lips)

Oh nice!! That does sound wonderfully lazy. I'm a fan of lazy recipes. I remember I used to make a bellini at the ren fest, and I could have sworn I saved the recipe but it's no where to be found. :shrug: Needless to say, yours takes far less time and effort. :D

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
- Still waiting on word from my friend re: being my climbing buddy. Which is good because I definitely can't afford the climbing gym costs right now. Better to wait a few months I think. (Or, alternately, save a ton of money and just go 1-2x/month -- you only save money with monthly payments if you go more than 3x/month.)

- Was doing really well with going to bed early and waking up early/working out early... then fell off the wagon. Work stress, I think. Made it harder to relax in the evenings. Trying to get back on the wagon this week.

- I hate 30-day exercise challenges. I started trying another one, and I don't know why I did -- I already knew I hate them. I hate them because 1) no flexibility if your body says "no" to a particular thing on a particular day, and 2) no room to exercise the way you want on a particular day, e.g. climbing, or running. So I'm just going to haphazardly do some of these challenge items whenever I have the time. ([MENTION=4939]kyuuei[/MENTION] I tried out Betty Rocker after you mentioned it a few times in here. I like it but don't like the time constraint for the exact reasons I mentioned above.)

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I have this mental block too. It’s bizarre when sharing in intimate activity isn’t a problem - but then the self buckles at having actual exercise observed :blush: Let me know if you come up with any solutions to this…

My husband comes down to the basement when I'm on the treadmill. For two reasons - he wants to see what I'm growling and grunting at (10 incline at speed 5 usually) and he thinks my music choice is hilarious and I'm usually singing along somewhat.

I don't care. I come watch him on it too. Sweaty...mmmmm....hot.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
- Still waiting on word from my friend re: being my climbing buddy. Which is good because I definitely can't afford the climbing gym costs right now. Better to wait a few months I think. (Or, alternately, save a ton of money and just go 1-2x/month -- you only save money with monthly payments if you go more than 3x/month.)

- Was doing really well with going to bed early and waking up early/working out early... then fell off the wagon. Work stress, I think. Made it harder to relax in the evenings. Trying to get back on the wagon this week.

- I hate 30-day exercise challenges. I started trying another one, and I don't know why I did -- I already knew I hate them. I hate them because 1) no flexibility if your body says "no" to a particular thing on a particular day, and 2) no room to exercise the way you want on a particular day, e.g. climbing, or running. So I'm just going to haphazardly do some of these challenge items whenever I have the time. ([MENTION=4939]kyuuei[/MENTION] I tried out Betty Rocker after you mentioned it a few times in here. I like it but don't like the time constraint for the exact reasons I mentioned above.)

See I do like 30 day challenges, but I read them differently than you. Day 1 is day 1. If that's on a Monday, then Tuesday need not be day 2. It can be Thursday for all I care. As long as I finish what I started. It took me 65 days to do 30 days of p90x and it was a good pace. If I went running or something else that day I didn't do p90x and try burning myself out.

Like right now br has weekly tabata bikini shit, but I'm doing what I need out of those right now. The cool thing about Internet stuff is no one is waiting on you or expecting you. You just do you.

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Be honest with me: Is it more expensive to buy pre-packaged health foods (for example, organic/gluten-free so and so), or to make your own versions of them at home from scratch?
Is it cheaper to buy pre-packaged healthy bread, or to bake your own with the flour they used and so forth?

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Be honest with me: Is it more expensive to buy pre-packaged health foods (for example, organic/gluten-free so and so), or to make your own versions of them at home from scratch?
Is it cheaper to buy pre-packaged healthy bread, or to bake your own with the flour they used and so forth?
As a general rule, it's cheaper to make from scratch. Especially with enough comparison shopping.

That being said, it depends on how you value the time you spend preparing those things -- and it depends on whether you would use the necessary groceries enough to warrant buying them in larger quantities. (For example, you kind of have to buy whole flax seeds in big bags, but I only ever use it a tablespoon at a time.) So that affects your determination re: whether you'd be wasting money or not.

See I do like 30 day challenges, but I read them differently than you. Day 1 is day 1. If that's on a Monday, then Tuesday need not be day 2. It can be Thursday for all I care. As long as I finish what I started. It took me 65 days to do 30 days of p90x and it was a good pace. If I went running or something else that day I didn't do p90x and try burning myself out.

Like right now br has weekly tabata bikini shit, but I'm doing what I need out of those right now. The cool thing about Internet stuff is no one is waiting on you or expecting you. You just do you.
I don't know why this didn't occur to me before. :doh: Maybe because all the Betty Rocker videos are so serious about "Do this every day!" etc, and because they all say that the videos expire 24 hours after you receive them. (False, they expire 24 hours after you open the link, and the description of the workout lasts forever, so you can do it whenever so long as you have an interval timer.)

Anyway, those videos are going well now!

Also, cross training has made running more difficult, somehow. But in a good way. A lot more leg muscles are engaged when I run now, and many of those muscles are relatively weak. This is great for my knees and my overall health, but it's also a bit confusing.

Re: food, my CSA has started, which means I've had to eat significantly more plants than usual. The other day I had so many greens that I had to eat -- gasp -- lettuce wraps. Just throwing leftovers into the lettuce leaves and calling it a new meal. Not the worst thing ever, but lettuce is not my favorite.

I love cooking, but this CSA situation may end up forcing me not to cook. Or at least forcing me to cook more minimally. Or eat a lot of veggies/fruit as a snack every day. A good change re: my health, I think, but a difficult change. Old habits die hard.

Last edited:

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram

fingers die first, before the latissimus even notices. In german we call it Haltekraft. Strength to hold on

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

From a money spent standpoint it's almost always cheaper to make things yourself. The other plus is that you know exactly what is in them. Gluten free and organic is so much easier now, things like flour, grains and pasta is readily available and organic is nearly universal anywhere. But when discussing expense, you have to consider what your time is worth. In the cases where there is more money than time, I don't think pre-packaged is a bad thing. There are a lot of meal services that cater to any diet need, stores with excellent deli and grab and go food items. The only way you will really know is to try both and see how each works for you.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Re: food, my CSA has started, which means I've had to eat significantly more plants than usual. The other day I had so many greens that I had to eat -- gasp -- lettuce wraps. Just throwing leftovers into the lettuce leaves and calling it a new meal. Not the worst thing ever, but lettuce is not my favorite.

Make these. Seriously, this is where I stick all my bumper crop stuff and the sauce is mmmmmmm... Add cukes, seeded tomato, zucchini...

6bbf64edf48aef6a3962d4e6aa680be2.jpg

Basil: Spring Rolls with Spicy Peanut Sauce

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
From a money spent standpoint it's almost always cheaper to make things yourself.

No it's never or try to beat a frozen pizza. :)

P.S.: your vegetable recipes wont make a man happy. 3900 kcal aint no salad :)

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
No it's never or try to beat a frozen pizza. :)

P.S.: your vegetable recipes wont make a man happy. 3900 kcal aint no salad :)

I never said it was a salad. I said it was a good way to deal with a carpet bomb of produce from a CSA.

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
As a general rule, it's cheaper to make from scratch. Especially with enough comparison shopping.

That being said, it depends on how you value the time you spend preparing those things -- and it depends on whether you would use the necessary groceries enough to warrant buying them in larger quantities. (For example, you kind of have to buy whole flax seeds in big bags, but I only ever use it a tablespoon at a time.) So that affects your determination re: whether you'd be wasting money or not.

From a money spent standpoint it's almost always cheaper to make things yourself. The other plus is that you know exactly what is in them. Gluten free and organic is so much easier now, things like flour, grains and pasta is readily available and organic is nearly universal anywhere. But when discussing expense, you have to consider what your time is worth. In the cases where there is more money than time, I don't think pre-packaged is a bad thing. There are a lot of meal services that cater to any diet need, stores with excellent deli and grab and go food items. The only way you will really know is to try both and see how each works for you.

Very sage advice from the both of you, thank you from the bottom of my heart. I just knew that healthy diets will always consist of making things from scratch and at home, and it makes sense. Not that there's anything inherently evil from pre-packaged 'health foods', especially when one is in a pinch of time. I am currently in love with my health store's canned tomatoes so that I can make my husband and I a delicious and nutritious dinner every weekend. :wubbie:

But yes, it's time to put on my big girl panties and start cooking and baking more if I want to save money while also eating sensibly. Thank you!

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram

depends. Bread? Generally cheaper to buy. the technique makes it difficult, and machines can make it expensive. Bread is reeeaallyy cheap to bake, and really easy with a good bread oven.. but really, just store-brand bread will be cheaper generally than making it if you're no chef. I got my bread machine cheap as hell (It's a Breville, which is one of the best makers imo) but even those have their limitations and generally slicing still doesn't give perfect bread slices like store bought. And bread freezes well, so if you have a discount bakery you can buy a loaf that day, split it into smaller loaves, and freeze them and thaw a little at a time.

Pre-packaged frozen foods are ALWAYS cheaper to make yourself. Like, 99.99% of the time. A frozen burrito from the healthier section is going to charge you an arm and a leg for.. what? Tortillas, beans, eggs, and spinach? All REALLY cheap. And, burritos have the added benefit of batch-cooking.. for 1 hour of serious effort, you could save a loooott of money and make a lot of frozen food. Breakfast sandwiches, pasta dishes, etc. They're all cheaper to make yourself. For the quality of those meals typically, you could cook a lot yourself. Batch cooking has the added benefit of being able to be separated by weeks. So, you're not stuck eating burrito forever. You can make Burritos, breakfast sandwiches, pasta dishes, and rice dishes and just rotate which ones you eat each week. Something different each day and you won't get super tired of it.. bonus: when you're in a hurry, it's there for you. It usually doesn't take me more than an hour to make a month's worth of a dish.. and I make multiple batches at the same time, so typically I'm in 3-4 hours of serious work and end up with 1-3 months of meals. All for a hell of a lot cheaper than $4 a meal.

Even though it's cheaper to buy salads by the head and make them, I just never do. Never will again. I don't do it myself, I don't take the time, and I don't like prepping salads. If I want salad, I buy a bag of salad. It isn't very expensive at TJ's and I get a great, decent salad I'll actually eat with no effort. Better to spend $6 on salad ingredients that week than to spend $4 and have half of it rot. So, keep what you LIKE prepping vs what you don't care for in mind. Like EJ said, lots of things come in giant containers of Nope and you can't get a small amount for that one recipe.

Generally speaking anything that requires technique (pizza, fage style yogurt, and bread for example) and/or are ingredients to a meal (cheese, butter, frozen vegetables, canned veggies/fruit, etc.) is easier/not that much more expensive/ sometimes even cheaper to buy unless you just want a new skill, and meals are cheaper to cook and prep. So for example, spinach is an ingredient.. it is cheaper to buy it than to grow it unless you're a decent gardener that has the time and resources to make that happen. However, spinach-chickpea-curry-dish is going to be far cheaper to cook yourself than to buy premade.

I don't know why this didn't occur to me before. :doh: Maybe because all the Betty Rocker videos are so serious about "Do this every day!" etc, and because they all say that the videos expire 24 hours after you receive them. (False, they expire 24 hours after you open the link, and the description of the workout lasts forever, so you can do it whenever so long as you have an interval timer.)

Yup! They do that to light a fire under your ass, but there's no need for all of that. I don't really agree with BR's principles, but I like her work outs themselves. I like the "set my own day pace" thing. I just make a checklist of days 1-30 and mark them off as complete as I go.. and like I said, if I go do something else that day that was a good work out, I don't bother to count it as a day. I'll get to the end eventually. I just take a rest day when life dictates it.. there's always going to be some event/lack of sleep day/something to intervene naturally, so I don't really create rest days anymore. I found that just makes multiple rest days for me.

:laugh:

I love cooking, but this CSA situation may end up forcing me not to cook. Or at least forcing me to cook more minimally. Or eat a lot of veggies/fruit as a snack every day. A good change re: my health, I think, but a difficult change. Old habits die hard.

I'm pretty sure our vegetable drawer is where we rescue plants from the horrors of vegetarians and let them die a peaceful death in one piece. I finally broke down and just realized that bagged salads and cherry tomatoes are the life for me all day everyday. Anything else is destined to die.

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
depends. Bread? Generally cheaper to buy. the technique makes it difficult, and machines can make it expensive. Bread is reeeaallyy cheap to bake, and really easy with a good bread oven.. but really, just store-brand bread will be cheaper generally than making it if you're no chef. I got my bread machine cheap as hell (It's a Breville, which is one of the best makers imo) but even those have their limitations and generally slicing still doesn't give perfect bread slices like store bought. And bread freezes well, so if you have a discount bakery you can buy a loaf that day, split it into smaller loaves, and freeze them and thaw a little at a time.

I am doing an experiment now because I have a hunch that I am suffering from gluten intolerance, as well as being lactose intolerant, so I'm going on this diet for the next few weeks and see if I feel better. This one special bread they sell at the health store cost a bit much for just a small loaf, so that's why I'm wondering if perhaps I am better off just baking it at home. :shrug:

I've never used a bread maker before, are they easy to use? :)

Pre-packaged frozen foods are ALWAYS cheaper to make yourself. Like, 99.99% of the time. A frozen burrito from the healthier section is going to charge you an arm and a leg for.. what? Tortillas, beans, eggs, and spinach? All REALLY cheap. And, burritos have the added benefit of batch-cooking.. for 1 hour of serious effort, you could save a loooott of money and make a lot of frozen food. Breakfast sandwiches, pasta dishes, etc. They're all cheaper to make yourself. For the quality of those meals typically, you could cook a lot yourself. Batch cooking has the added benefit of being able to be separated by weeks. So, you're not stuck eating burrito forever. You can make Burritos, breakfast sandwiches, pasta dishes, and rice dishes and just rotate which ones you eat each week. Something different each day and you won't get super tired of it.. bonus: when you're in a hurry, it's there for you. It usually doesn't take me more than an hour to make a month's worth of a dish.. and I make multiple batches at the same time, so typically I'm in 3-4 hours of serious work and end up with 1-3 months of meals. All for a hell of a lot cheaper than $4 a meal.

I think that's what I'm going to do, then: Make a huge amount of foods once a month and then freeze them. Oh my, I need an ice box for all of that, I think! :doh:
Yes, its true what you say, that meals such as burritos are hell a lot cheaper to make from scratch than to buy them individually store-brought. And more fun, too, since I can customize it for my own taste!

Thank you for this, I have read about people who work very hard each month preparing large batches of food but then its worth it in the end, both for their time and money saved. :wubbie:

Even though it's cheaper to buy salads by the head and make them, I just never do. Never will again. I don't do it myself, I don't take the time, and I don't like prepping salads. If I want salad, I buy a bag of salad. It isn't very expensive at TJ's and I get a great, decent salad I'll actually eat with no effort. Better to spend $6 on salad ingredients that week than to spend $4 and have half of it rot. So, keep what you LIKE prepping vs what you don't care for in mind. Like EJ said, lots of things come in giant containers of Nope and you can't get a small amount for that one recipe.

Ha ha, what happened? :( Were they difficult to cut or something? I have watched my mother for many years cut the heads of salad and I don't know how she can do it so effortlessly. Can you freeze cabbage? :huh:

Generally speaking anything that requires technique (pizza, fage style yogurt, and bread for example) and/or are ingredients to a meal (cheese, butter, frozen vegetables, canned veggies/fruit, etc.) is easier/not that much more expensive/ sometimes even cheaper to buy unless you just want a new skill, and meals are cheaper to cook and prep. So for example, spinach is an ingredient.. it is cheaper to buy it than to grow it unless you're a decent gardener that has the time and resources to make that happen. However, spinach-chickpea-curry-dish is going to be far cheaper to cook yourself than to buy premade.

You make a lot of sense, actually. Its an even 50/50 split in the end. I don't live on a farm, so some of the things I enjoy I'll have to buy store-brought, but that is okay! :D I am glad you answered me, you've always had great advice when it comes to food. :hug:

Cheers!

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I am doing an experiment now because I have a hunch that I am suffering from gluten intolerance, as well as being lactose intolerant, so I'm going on this diet for the next few weeks and see if I feel better. This one special bread they sell at the health store cost a bit much for just a small loaf, so that's why I'm wondering if perhaps I am better off just baking it at home. :shrug:

I've never used a bread maker before, are they easy to use? :)

First, side note: usually those expensive breads are cheaper to bake at home vs buying in the store. If your bread costs more than $3 a loaf, it's worth it to bake it if you have the means and skill. But, also, sometimes those breads require a technique unique to making it palatable.. which may not be practical in normal cooking. So, it could be beneficial to just cut back on bread-based meals and have the bread as a special something vs a daily star of the show.. which is another way to save money while eating the expensive product.

Bread makers are very easy to use. I use a Breville, which is a brand I highly recommend in the kitchen for many of their products, and it makes a pretty damn good bread. A lot of bakers complain the breads come out badly in bread makers, but the dough always comes out great. I haven't had this issue too much with the Breville, but they are imperfect machines. Difficult to clean, but not so bad if you make a couple loaves at at time. However, a good bread slicer will probably be necessary too. I don't always use the bread maker, but I got it for cheap which made it worth it to have nice hot bread.. I give fresh bread as gifts many times, which saves me money because bread is cheap and soul-soothing at the same time. People appreciate it, and I appreciate the lack of effort and money into something consumable. It also does nicely on holidays. It makes the house smell great too, and it has a timer so I can have hot bread in the morning when I wake up if I want.

There are different theories on kitchen gadgets... for some, a uni-tool is awful and cluttering. To me? A cheap tool that does the job well is worth having around vs going out to eat. I bought a small, flat waffle iron for $4 at a thrift store, and it makes great waffles... which is awesome because my urge to eat IHOP went down 1000% after I bought it. I don't make waffles frequently, but if I crave them I'm not going and spending $9 to make it happen. I'll spend $2 on ingredients and boom, waffles. And I'll cook a bunch and freeze them, so boom, more waffles. I have a mini donut maker... because it was $1 and the donut trays were $10 on amazon. I don't hardly ever make donuts, but when I want them? The maker makes it easy and available. I look up a recipe based on what I have on hand, and boom, donuts. A bread machine doesn't do much else but bake bread and make dough, but I still found it worth it. A food processor is pretty much mandatory for my cooking style. I like collecting gadgets and having them on hand. If you have a small kitchen, it can be a clutter to have gadgets, but for me space wasn't a big deal at all, and having machines that help my cooking (I'm no chef by any means and have trouble cooking things well at times like breads and such) is more than worth it. It all depends on your philosophy.

What I dont recommend: buying a machine just because it's there. Look at what you need in it. For me, a big waffle iron was no good.. it had to be small, adjustable heat, and literally the size of the waffle itself, nothing more. My juicer and bread maker had to be Breville brand for cost effectiveness and high functionality. A bad machine wastes money. My sandwich maker is a mess, it sucks.. and I'm lucky I got it for free otherwise it would have been a total waste of money. It was a cheap $3-on-black-friday-square-one-setting-sandwich maker that gets gross easily and is difficult to clean. Instead, a good grilled cheese/panini maker is more up my alley. So, I have my eye out for one before I send this one to the graveyard that is the donation center.

The nurse in me is itching to educate, so I stuck it in a spoiler in case you don't feel like listening to me on a soapbox about stomach problems. :laugh:

I think that's what I'm going to do, then: Make a huge amount of foods once a month and then freeze them. Oh my, I need an ice box for all of that, I think! :doh:

:laugh: just make sure it's foods you really like when you make them. It's okay to have failed experiments. If you don't like it, it'll rot in the back of the fridge. Also: a sharpie is essential. Label your food. You WONT remember what it is. Ask me how I know. XD

Ha ha, what happened? :( Were they difficult to cut or something? I have watched my mother for many years cut the heads of salad and I don't know how she can do it so effortlessly. Can you freeze cabbage? :huh:

No not at all... I just never take the time to prep it. The reality is, I get bored with salad on a whim, so a whole head of lettuce is too much for just me to eat. A few heads of anything to make a decent variety leads to a lot of waste... so it's actually cheaper and better for me to simply buy a bag of something. If I lose the feeling for salad that day, not much is wasted, and no time prepping it all was wasted.

You make a lot of sense, actually. Its an even 50/50 split in the end. I don't live on a farm, so some of the things I enjoy I'll have to buy store-brought, but that is okay! :D I am glad you answered me, you've always had great advice when it comes to food. :hug:

Cheers!

:cheers: :hug: anytime!

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=4939]kyuuei[/MENTION] :hug: Thanks so much for your sound advice. I will go see a doctor soon, you are right, it probably is something much more complicated, but I was curious about the elimination diet and I like trying things out once while I am alive, so why not. ;) IBS definitely sound like the most likely diagnosis for me, and I am terrified if I am lactose intolerant since I love milk and dairy products. I read somewhere that raw milk and products made with raw milk doesn't cause intolerance in people that are normally reactive to typical supermarket milk, so I do feel somewhat hopeful.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
[MENTION=4939]kyuuei[/MENTION] :hug: Thanks so much for your sound advice. I will go see a doctor soon, you are right, it probably is something much more complicated, but I was curious about the elimination diet and I like trying things out once while I am alive, so why not. ;) IBS definitely sound like the most likely diagnosis for me, and I am terrified if I am lactose intolerant since I love milk and dairy products. I read somewhere that raw milk and products made with raw milk doesn't cause intolerance in people that are normally reactive to typical supermarket milk, so I do feel somewhat hopeful.

I mean, lactose intolerance is fairly easy to figure out.. Just have an empty stomach, eat a serving of milk, see if it reacts poorly to you within the hour. If not, have another serving in 30 minute intervals, and if you realize 2-3 servings in you have stomach cramps and awfulness going on you're likely intolerant. My bf can eat some milk and cheese, but a dinner designed based on those things hurts him terribly.. pizza, enchiladas, etc. they're all coated in cheese which hurts his stomach. But small amounts are tolerable for him.

An easy solution if it turns out you are intolerant is A2 milk or Mootopia (which is an HEB brand if you happen to have one near) which is the only lactose free milk I've tried that tastes genuinely like milk vs that weird sweet after taste. The Trader Joe's lactose free milks aren't so bad either for the price.

The elimination diet is one of the standards used for diagnosing IBS. Just keep a strict food log, and eat really awful bland food forever. :laugh: I tried to be raw vegan for a while because I was swept up in the craze of "omg internet says be healthy this ways!" and I got super sick off of it... ended up eating normally and recovered, but still had bowel issues, and then went on the BRAT diet, and tried adding foods in one at a time, seeing if I reacted to them that day or not, etc. It was pretty annoying, and I didn't write about it much at the time because I hated it, but it did help the diagnosis tremendously.