• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Submitted for your consideration...

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
PS> I like how the doomsayers love the 25 year window (hence 2049), Back in 2000 the end of the world was expected to come due in 2025. They were wrong then, and they will likely be wrong 25 years hence. It's a long window though, so people forget to back test their flawed predictions. Global warming is indeed an issue, but this kind of dubious crystal ball gazing does no good. Put together a plan for how to get global consensus with all countries obligated to do their share, and I might listen.
We can't get a global consensus on anything, though. I think the last time that happened was with CFCs in the late 80s, and also in the 80s with whaling (which some countries still ignore). The problem here is probably related to everyone finding out that the End of History was more of a pause at the beginning of this millennium. That makes international cooperation difficult, and it's no doubt gotten even harder over the last few years. Do you think Russia and Ukraine will sit at the same table to talk about lowering emissions, even if the conflict ends?

Last edited:

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
We can't get a global consensus on anything, though. I think the last time that happened was with CFCs in the late 80s, and also in the 80s with whaling (which some countries still ignore). The problem here is probably related to everyone finding out that the End of History was more of a pause at the beginning of this millennium. That makes international cooperation difficult, and it's no doubt gotten even harder over the last few years. Do you think Russia and Ukraine will sit at the same table to talk about lowering emissions, even if the conflict ends?
Some people can only live in denial and die screaming.​

SensEye

MBTI Type
INTp
We can't get a global consensus on anything, though.
I know. But if we can't get it on this issue we are going to face the consequences of global warming. Concocting kooky stories like the one in the video in an attempt to psychologically manipulate people into ineffective actions annoys me.

Here in Canada, after last summer, the whole "Canadians don't like forest fires" mantra gets spun out ad nausea by politicians trying to sell us on carbon taxes. If Canadians think our carbon taxes are going to reduce the frequency of forest fires in any way, they are totally daft. But that's the line they get.

As long as ineffective silo based solutions to the issue keep getting spouted, no real solutions are possible. So if we can't get global consensus on anything, we should at least stop playing these silly games. It's counter productive in my mind, because it creates the illusion we are addressing the problem, when we are, in fact, not.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I know. But if we can't get it on this issue we are going to face the consequences of global warming. Concocting kooky stories like the one in the video in an attempt to psychologically manipulate people into ineffective actions annoys me.

Here in Canada, after last summer, the whole "Canadians don't like forest fires" mantra gets spun out ad nausea by politicians trying to sell us on carbon taxes. If Canadians think our carbon taxes are going to reduce the frequency of forest fires in any way, they are totally daft. But that's the line they get.

As long as ineffective silo based solutions to the issue keep getting spouted, no real solutions are possible. So if we can't get global consensus on anything, we should at least stop playing these silly games. It's counter productive in my mind, because it creates the illusion we are addressing the problem, when we are, in fact, not.
Well, the long-term plan would have to be to make more walkable communities with more mass transit. That might not be enough in the amount of time available.

These days there are other things I worry about way more than global warming.

Haight

Doesn't Read Your Posts
MBTI Type
INTj
Global thermonuclear war, the upcoming election, and my damnable job search.
I can help you with the second. However, the first is not worth worrying about. We will go when another astroid hits. I will respond to this thread with an "I told you so!" just before we evaporate. So, stay logged in for that.

Also, it seems The Cat is a big fan of YouTube, and that dude with the beard.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I can help you with the second. However, the first is not worth worrying about. We will go when another astroid hits. I will respond to this thread with an "I told you so!" just before we evaporate. So, stay logged in for that.

The asteroid would be better; it wouldn't be our own doing.

The Cat

Staff member

I started watching youtube during covid and its the closest thing i can get to free channel surfing like in the days of yore. I like Beau because he's (productive)thought stimulation, he's not big into fear mongering and provides resources. I dont agree with all of the various takes in some of the youtube vids belonging to other content creators, I post, but thus far Ive not found anything in Beau of the Fifth Collumn I've not been able get behind, and that's pretty rare.

The Cat

Staff member
Global thermonuclear war, the upcoming election, and my damnable job search.
"Global Thermonuclear War" Are you worried about it just because it sounds impressively like something to worry about? I'm fairly certain there would be emps used before nukes.
The asteroid would be better; it wouldn't be our own doing.
So you would rather the whole world go in fire from heaven than slip the shower? That's pretty selfish. 😁
d54fd416-5dea-43a1-af25-7422439d6016_text.gif
Joking with you aside, why do you feel this way?

The Cat

Staff member

Moscow Marjorie's slip is showing.​

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
"Global Thermonuclear War" Are you worried about it just because it sounds impressively like something to worry about? I'm fairly certain there would be emps used before nukes.
I don't trust some of the adults in the room. Besides, adultier adults have let me down before.
So you would rather the whole world go in fire from heaven than slip the shower? That's pretty selfish. 😁
d54fd416-5dea-43a1-af25-7422439d6016_text.gif
Joking with you aside, why do you feel this way?
LOL. It would be much less pathetic that way. Better asteroids than as a consequence of some country wanting to acquire more pieces of land.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
On EMPs before nukes, I'm not that familiar with them. I think they disable electronics by using electromagnetism to fuse circuits together, therefore melting all the conducting pathways via short circuiting. Does this then mean a city would be captured with less loss of life and damage to property than nuclear weapon?

That might be important if the objective is to acquire territory. I'm not sure this is always the case.

Last edited:

The Cat

Staff member
On EMPs before nukes, I'm not that familiar with them. I think they disable electronics by using electromagnetism to fuse circuits together, therefore melting all the conducting pathways via short circuiting. Does this then mean a city would be captured with less loss of life and damage to property than nuclear weapon?

That might be important if the objective is to acquire territory. I'm not sure this is always the case.
A nuclear weapon is not something anyone with access to actually wants to use. Nobody wants the party to be over. A big enough emp could in theory put us back to pre electricity times. pre industrial again all at once, would have a lot of chaos and things go wrong dont get me wrong, but it could render nuclear war not a thing for several decades at least unless of course the emp acted as a big enough wake up call(ie something humans are forced to adapt to quickly without the internet to speed chaos along, things could be more chill long term) but then im hopeful by nature dispite being paranoid by design.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
A nuclear weapon is not something anyone with access to actually wants to use. Nobody wants the party to be over. A big enough emp could in theory put us back to pre electricity times. pre industrial again all at once, would have a lot of chaos and things go wrong dont get me wrong, but it could render nuclear war not a thing for several decades at least unless of course the emp acted as a big enough wake up call(ie something humans are forced to adapt to quickly without the internet to speed chaos along, things could be more chill long term) but then im hopeful by nature dispite being paranoid by design.
That might not be so bad if you can hold out until the fancy modern bullets run out ( if they still work) and people have to start using muskets again.

I can imagine it would be much quieter. That would be nice.

The Cat

Staff member
Things never to be Underestimated:
The Sea
How fast a big animal really can move when it's motivated to fuck you up.
Redheaded Women
Short Men
Any quiet man with a quiet smile.

The Cat

Staff member
Jon Stewart is the modern Walter Cronkite​

The Cat

Staff member
A good break down of forign policy and how it works, and has your whole life, using the totally fictional kingdom of Denovia. Watch this and think about the major political events of your life, and behold how we got here. Komtrya.​