• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Should we have unisex locker rooms and bathrooms?

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't have a problem with it, personally but whatever it will probably never happen due to the amount people (mostly women, lets not lie) who have a problem due to the way society tends to portray men as would-be predators(or at least most predators as being men). Then again, people shouldn't be forced to do something they feel uncomfortable doing, but I do think people who feel uncomfortable should ask themselves why they feel that way, and if its legitimate or not.

Let's say only 10% of guys out there would leer or make comments or simply quickly glance at a woman as she's undressing; from my pov it wouldn't be positive at all with even that 'small' a percent of guys who would do that, the entire experience would be anxiety provoking and I have no desire to display my body to strange men. The reverse holds for guys... there'd be a % of women who might make men uncomfortable. (also I don't know if you're a guy or girl, but most women experience sexual solicitations, looks, or commentary while out and about. Transfer that to a unisex changing room....)

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
I don't have a problem with it, personally but whatever it will probably never happen due to the amount people (mostly women, lets not lie) who have a problem due to the way society tends to portray men as would-be predators(or at least most predators as being men). Then again, people shouldn't be forced to do something they feel uncomfortable doing, but I do think people who feel uncomfortable should ask themselves why they feel that way, and if its legitimate or not.

I realize that not all guys are like this, but they do exist and it makes people very uncomfortable. In my case, it was ongoing and I wanted to smash the guy's face in because of how angry it made me.

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Let's say only 10% of guys out there would leer or make comments or simply look at a woman as she's undressing; from my pov it wouldn't be positive at all with even that 'small' a percent of guys who would do that, the entire experience would be anxiety provoking and I have no desire to display my body to strange men. The reverse holds for guys... there'd be a % of women who might make men uncomfortable.

Well, its possible, but then why doesn't this happen with homosexuals in male only and female only locker rooms? I think it depends on how you go about this type of thing, though, it could be a total disaster just like it could teach more respect for people of opposite genders. I don't know, I think it could be tested in some establishments as a third option people have mentioned. But the respect for the opposite gender in bathrooms, like most things, would have to begin at home, as a form of education.

/DG/

Well, its possible, but then why doesn't this happen with homosexuals in male only and female only locker rooms? I think it depends on how you go about this type of thing, though, it could be a total disaster just like it could teach more respect for people of opposite genders. I don't know, I think it could be tested in some establishments as a third option people have mentioned. But the respect for the opposite gender in bathrooms, like most things, would have to begin at home, as a form of education.

I'm sure it probably does happen unfortunately. But non-heterosexuals make up a significantly smaller portion of the population, making this a far rarer occurrence.

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm sure it probably does happen unfortunately. But non-heterosexuals make up a significantly smaller portion of the population, making this a far rarer occurrence.

Personally, I've never experienced harassment from other men in locker rooms, public bathrooms, though I've never used public saunas or showers, though I have experienced harassment from (some) gay men in social situations. I think there is like an etiquette in locker rooms and public bathrooms (like you don't look at the guy next to you whos peeing), though I will admit that its easier to follow said etiquette for me as I'm not gay.

Just my personal experience though, which I will admit doesn't prove anything statistically. Stritcly speaking, I would assume that harassment in same sex locker rooms must occur on occasion, and how this correlates to harassment in social situations is not known.

Crabs

Permabanned
What would be the point of doing this? If the system ain't broke, don't fix it. I find it distracting enough to have women in skin tight pants at the gym bending over and spreading their legs in various exercises when I'm trying to concentrate on my workout. There's really no sensible reason to have unisex locker rooms or restrooms. The majority of the population still identifies as heterosexual. Why create needlessly awkward situations in an already sex-obsessed culture?

Chrysanthe

Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What country exactly. I would not consider it where I live, where high testosterone related behaviours are encouraged and even prized. I wonder if it'd work in a place like Sweden.

Ursa

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
8w7
There is one at my university near the history advisors and it is used all the time by students, staff and faculty. There are two stalls, a urinal and a sink. The entire room is also lockable from the inside. There are regular restrooms two floors down, so there are alternatives. No one has ever had a problem with it, or has complained about it. Most people welcome it as a sign of progression at my university.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Unisex locker rooms are a bad idea in current culture in social situations where the people aren't nudists. I think it's also completely unethical and impractical in middle/high schools. If private businesses want this, good for them, but some people will complain about cost or space waste for a third locker room.

This is why people are a bit overwhelmed or skeptical about this whole business. It's like, no I don't hate Trans people, I may even like them (depending on who "I" am) but why does this have to be foisted on children and there are space and monetary costs to consider.

I have used men's rooms before when they were totally individual like in a fast food restaurant, and I'm totally OK with anyone doing that, since nobody in there with you anyway...but honestly men's rooms stink, they have a different pheromone odor to their urine, and I've heard men complain about the smell of blood in women's rest rooms. Anyone who thinks this is an easy straight up case of social discrimination must have some serious first world problems, and may benefit by a night on the street.

Ursa

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
8w7
I find it distracting enough to have women in skin tight pants at the gym bending over and spreading their legs in various exercises when I'm trying to concentrate on my workout. There's really no sensible reason to have unisex locker rooms or restrooms. The majority of the population still identifies as heterosexual. Why create needlessly awkward situations in an already sex-obsessed culture?

There are women nearly everywhere, so you must get distracted a lot and/or think that women don't belong in places where you'd like to concentrate, such as the workplace or in the classroom.

/DG/

Personally, I've never experienced harassment from other men in locker rooms, public bathrooms, though I've never used public saunas or showers, though I have experienced harassment from (some) gay men in social situations. I think there is like an etiquette in locker rooms and public bathrooms (like you don't look at the guy next to you whos peeing), though I will admit that its easier to follow said etiquette for me as I'm not gay.

Just my personal experience though, which I will admit doesn't prove anything statistically. Stritcly speaking, I would assume that harassment in same sex locker rooms must occur on occasion, and how this correlates to harassment in social situations is not known.

Again, i didn't say it wasn't possible. I just said that statistically, it is FAR less common.

What would be the point of doing this? If the system ain't broke, don't fix it. I find it distracting enough to have women in skin tight pants at the gym bending over and spreading their legs in various exercises when I'm trying to concentrate on my workout. There's really no sensible reason to have unisex locker rooms or restrooms. The majority of the population still identifies as heterosexual. Why create needlessly awkward situations in an already sex-obsessed culture?

Poor you. I'm crying a river of tears for you right now.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I am not trying to be rude so don't be upset but... how do you talk about something that is inherently gendered (bathrooms/locker rooms) without emphasizing gender?

By biological sex, naturally.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There is one at my university near the history advisors and it is used all the time by students, staff and faculty. There are two stalls, a urinal and a sink. The entire room is also lockable from the inside. There are regular restrooms two floors down, so there are alternatives. No one has ever had a problem with it, or has complained about it. Most people welcome it as a sign of progression at my university.

I'm thinking there's a lot of people thinking of different things in terms of 'locker room'.

'Locker room' in sense I grew up with, in public schools in America, equaled all open-air, no individual stalls for changing, no individual showers, everyone could see everything (with exception of bàthroom stalls). This sort of scenario is also what most people use in private gyms, though in gym locker rooms (ie fitness centers for adults) the showers are individual stalls and there are a few private changing areas. But most of it is open space, no private stalls. That's what I was thinking of when I answered the question.

Ursa

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
8w7
It's like, no I don't hate Trans people, I may even like them (depending on who "I" am) but why does this have to be foisted on children and there are space and monetary costs to consider.

This is an excellent point. Should unisex restrooms be installed universally or should K-12 schools and other such minor-oriented institutions prohibit them? What do you think, everyone?

Ursa

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
8w7
I'm thinking there's a lot of people thinking of different things in terms of 'locker room'.

'Locker room' in sense I grew up with, in public schools in America, equaled all open-air, no individual stalls for changing, no individual showers, everyone could see everything (with exception of bàthroom stalls). This sort of scenario is also what most people use in private gyms, though in gym locker rooms (ie fitness centers for adults) the showers are individual stalls and there are a few private changing areas. But most of it is open space, no private stalls. That's what I was thinking of when I answered the question.

I completely overlooked the locker room bit, so thank you for bringing that back to my attention.

My private gym has a few individual stalls/changing. Every shower is private. I thought I'd throw that out there for comparison.

Disclaimer: I'm a weight trainer, though, so I never really felt intimidated by men.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx

Yeah I'm wondering how many of these people are from Europe. We generally only have full length door privacy in five star hotels and private school bathrooms, that includes our flimsy excuse for toilet stall "doors."

Ursa

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Yeah I'm wondering how many of these people are from Europe. We generally only have full length door privacy in five star hotels and private school bathrooms, that includes our flimsy excuse for toilet stall "doors."

Really?! What region are you from? I live near Seattle, and my gym membership is a low to moderate price. I haven't lived anywhere else, though, so I don't know about the rest of the U.S.

Crabs

Permabanned
There are women nearly everywhere, so you must get distracted a lot and/or think that women don't belong in places where you'd like to concentrate, such as the workplace or in the classroom.

Actually, no. I specified women who are wearing skin tight pants while bending over and spreading their legs. You're probably one of those women who wears stretch pants out in public then accuses men of being pervs for looking at what you're accentuating.

Yes, this is what I was referring to. The locker rooms I've been in don't have any privacy. There are fully nude people walking around nonchalantly with their genitalia exposed to everyone around.

I completely overlooked the locker room bit, so thank you for bringing that back to my attention.

Maybe you should work on your reading comprehension skills before you make erroneous projections about what someone else is saying.

And given your past interactions with me, I'd prefer you to refrain from engaging me at all.

Poor you. I'm crying a river of tears for you right now.

Good for you. Isn't it past your bedtime?

Go away, now!

Ursa

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Actually, no. I specified women who are wearing skin tight pants while bending over and spreading their legs. You're probably one of those women who wears stretch pants out in public then accuses men of being pervs for looking at what you're accentuating.

I appreciate your clarification; it was useful and has made me re-think. Of course, most women don't wear tight pants to the restroom so why did you bring it up as a supposedly relevant example about restrooms and locker rooms? No one exercises in the locker room; they do it in the gym proper. I don't appreciate your inaccurate tu quoque.

If you don't wish me to engage you, then don't engage me. This is not a one-way street.