• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Running Forever

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If you clicked on this cheesy title, congratulations! I haven't exercised for a while and I know I need to. I went a full on 45 minutes and I was literally hugging the treadmill afterwards. Call me insane but I did it.

Music and running definitely work together. Listening to my mix while grooving was awesome lol.

Treadmill for 18 minutes. Stretching for like 10 minutes. Treadmill for 7 minutes. Bike for like 5 minutes.

Boss. My coach in high school was always astounded why I tried so hard to my detriment. Because of that I was his favorite lol.

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
Good job! I need to get back into exercising myself. I used to run for a solid 30-40 minutes about every other day. Now I've lost my love for it...and most of my fitness. I need my love of running back so badly. I was gonna run my first 5K and start training for a 10K. Then a half marathon, a marathon...I had big dreams. :cry:

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Good job! I need to get back into exercising myself. I used to run for a solid 30-40 minutes about every other day. Now I've lost my love for it...and most of my fitness. I need my love of running back so badly. I was gonna run my first 5K and start training for a 10K. Then a half marathon, a marathon...I had big dreams. :cry:

I've done the first two officially, but the half marathon was just doing it pathetically slow and never attempted a marathon. You can do it. Some people start as old as you are right now. A little off topic but [MENTION=23213]GarrotTheThief[/MENTION] started guitar in his late 20s. So Anything is possible if you work for it.

I think the secret is to find a solid running partner. I need to find one and set aside possible personality differences or appearances and just find one because running alone is hard. I get it and it's so easy to find excuses.

Dyslexxie

Dope& diamonds.
Is it weird that I definitely thought of you running even before I opened this thread?
Good job, that's awesome! I wish I liked running but cardio can just eff right off. I'm all about the weights.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Is it weird that I definitely thought of you running even before I opened this thread?
Good job, that's awesome! I wish I liked running but cardio can just eff right off. I'm all about the weights.

Aww c: That makes me so happy. :run:

Thank you! Well I hated running to begin with, it's a funny story tbh haha. I think running is those things you have to start and work on it a little in order to start loving it. I have this weird passion-full relationship with running like my body is like desperately thanking me when I start even when I hate it. I think it's mostly psychological because I had the most interesting experiences when I did that. Plus I was tired of feeling like I was not existing. Running helps me feel my body (besides pain lol).

Chrysanthe

Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
oh God, I wish I were in shape again lol. I have little to no willpower even though I enjoy the Hell outta exercising, so I can only really keep to it if I'm in some kind of class. My motivation comes from being with other people with the same goal too, so taking Weight Training my Sophomore year was extremely fun for me... but then after that the excitement ran out and I just couldn't keep up with it. :p

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
oh God, I wish I were in shape again lol. I have little to no willpower even though I enjoy the Hell outta exercising, so I can only really keep to it if I'm in some kind of class. My motivation comes from being with other people with the same goal too, so taking Weight Training my Sophomore year was extremely fun for me... but then after that the excitement ran out and I just couldn't keep up with it. :p

I believe your fun meter was too full and you couldn't have your fun again. :p

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I've done the first two officially, but the half marathon was just doing it pathetically slow and never attempted a marathon. You can do it. Some people start as old as you are right now. A little off topic but [MENTION=23213]GarrotTheThief[/MENTION] started guitar in his late 20s. So Anything is possible if you work for it.

I think the secret is to find a solid running partner. I need to find one and set aside possible personality differences or appearances and just find one because running alone is hard. I get it and it's so easy to find excuses.

Also, start small. Set small goals at first....1 mile, then 3, then 5k races...then do a 13....take a break for a month and go for 26 in a few years time. And become a pro at stretching...not weightlifting...if your goal is a marathon.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Also, start small. Set small goals at first....1 mile, then 3, then 5k races...then do a 13....take a break for a month and go for 26 in a few years time. And become a pro at stretching...not weightlifting...if your goal is a marathon.

Stretching is super super important. I agree. It prevents the most injuries, helps haste the process of healing for some injuries. Yes. One step at a time. No one built Rome in a day. :D

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
If you clicked on this cheesy title, congratulations! I haven't exercised for a while and I know I need to. I went a full on 45 minutes and I was literally hugging the treadmill afterwards. Call me insane but I did it.

Music and running definitely work together. Listening to my mix while grooving was awesome lol.

Treadmill for 18 minutes. Stretching for like 10 minutes. Treadmill for 7 minutes. Bike for like 5 minutes.

Boss. My coach in high school was always astounded why I tried so hard to my detriment. Because of that I was his favorite lol.

lol if you read my blog you'd know that I run. It's been the biggest thing in my life in the last 6 months. I used to really hate it but kinda like parts of it now.

Have a half-marathon in 4 weeks, and another in 8 weeks. I'm training up to do the full at the end of May next year. :D

Keep posting about your progress! It excites me to read about others running. :newwink:

*edit: Heh I don't stretch, I warm up with an easy jog before increasing pace. And I foam roll afterwards when I can be bothered.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
lol if you read my blog you'd know that I run. It's been the biggest thing in my life in the last 6 months. I used to really hate it but kinda like parts of it now.

Have a half-marathon in 4 weeks, and another in 8 weeks. I'm training up to do the full at the end of May next year. :D

Keep posting about your progress! It excites me to read about others running. :newwink:

*edit: Heh I don't stretch, I warm up with an easy jog before increasing pace. And I foam roll afterwards when I can be bothered.

Really?! :happy2: Time to get crackin' on your blog haha. Really? Well the more and more I get into it, it's like my body pulsates from muscle twitching haha. If I run really hard just to get somewhere somehow I'm just really excited that I am making myself feel alive. Satisfying my primitive part of the brain.

Wow congratulations! My best wishes to you! Consistency is key. :)

Stretching is worth it. I got an injury from not doing it enough. :( Although I tend to have more muscles on my legs than many runners do, so I have a little more to take care of.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Really?! :happy2: Time to get crackin' on your blog haha. Really? Well the more and more I get into it, it's like my body pulsates from muscle twitching haha. If I run really hard just to get somewhere somehow I'm just really excited that I am making myself feel alive. Satisfying my primitive part of the brain.

Wow congratulations! My best wishes to you! Consistency is key. :)

Stretching is worth it. I got an injury from not doing it enough. :( Although I tend to have more muscles on my legs than many runners do, so I have a little more to take care of.

:D Nah it's just that it feels like 50% of it is running. I know what you mean, after training up to a certain mileage I feel twitchy if I don't run, like I should just sprint it out of my system. Today's not one of those days though - really sore from intervals + lifting yesterday.

Thanks! And yep, it's really about consistency. :) The more I run, the more I enjoy it.

Heh I do some basic upper body stretches to loosen up, but nothing comprehensive because I feel like it doesn't really warm me up. It's usually only about 5min into a run that I feel like I'm warm, so I always take care to start slow and speed up. Foam rolling really helps with recovery though!

Are you aiming towards a specific distance or event? Or running for fun?

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
:D Nah it's just that it feels like 50% of it is running. I know what you mean, after training up to a certain mileage I feel twitchy if I don't run, like I should just sprint it out of my system. Today's not one of those days though - really sore from intervals + lifting yesterday.

Thanks! And yep, it's really about consistency. :) The more I run, the more I enjoy it.

Heh I do some basic upper body stretches to loosen up, but nothing comprehensive because I feel like it doesn't really warm me up. It's usually only about 5min into a run that I feel like I'm warm, so I always take care to start slow and speed up. Foam rolling really helps with recovery though!

Are you aiming towards a specific distance or event? Or running for fun?

Really? You're that much of a boss huh? :) Yeah soreness sometimes can do it for you. I remember though I have had one of my best days from strong soreness. It was the day after I tried snowboarding for the first time. I wonder if snowboarding would make me a better runner. :huh:

Yeah it's when you stop it becomes less fun ahaha or overdoing it. :p

Running to lose weight and to feel better about myself, to improve my health for school and mentality as well. I won't worry about being a pro until I feel like I'm starting to be like one again. :D

For stretches I run 5-10 minutes to get my body warmed up and then stretch. Stretching cold is not the best I believe. When you're warm and flexible, it feels good to get the stretch in, I feel much lighter too. It's really cool that you run. :)

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Really? You're that much of a boss huh? :) Yeah soreness sometimes can do it for you. I remember though I have had one of my best days from strong soreness. It was the day after I tried snowboarding for the first time. I wonder if snowboarding would make me a better runner. :huh:
Not a boss, more a student of running. It schools me all the time. :D I know what you mean with the soreness. What I find the best though, is the session after a super intense/long session followed by a recovery run. That's why I don't usually put my rest day after a long run, because it just makes the soreness that much worse. Snowboarding probably helped :wink: I'm a big believer in cross-training.

Yeah it's when you stop it becomes less fun ahaha or overdoing it. :p
Yeah gotta be careful of injuries! :)

Running to lose weight and to feel better about myself, to improve my health for school and mentality as well. I won't worry about being a pro until I feel like I'm starting to be like one again. :D
:happy2: Sounds great! Yep it's much better to start small, be consistent and just enjoy the process. Maybe don't focus on the weight loss and just eat "healthy" while building up? I find that if I make weight loss the goal of running, it kinda kills the joy in it.

For stretches I run 5-10 minutes to get my body warmed up and then stretch. Stretching cold is not the best I believe. When you're warm and flexible, it feels good to get the stretch in, I feel much lighter too. It's really cool that you run. :)
Oooh good idea. I can see how that would work. :) I'll give it a go for my easy run tonight.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I'm a seasonal runner. I only really train with running in the summers. I hate running in the cold. So it's always a battle of building myself up again from the 1 to 1 1/2 mile area to 2 1/2 - 3 miles on a lucky day. To me nothing feels better than sweating and running in hot weather. Running in the cold feels like I'm just working to try and feel slightly warm, which never works 100%, I don't want to drink water after, sweat freezes after, etc. etc.

It used to be summer time: train every single day, eat light, lots of water, activities.
Winter time (which was only 3 months really): chill mode, train 2-3 times a week and in shorter amounts, eat a bit heavier food, lots of reading and studying.

But now? I live in an area that's cold more often than it is hot. (Well.. cold to me anyways.) so I'm trying to find the motivation to train differently. It is a serious challenge.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Not a boss, more a student of running. It schools me all the time. :D I know what you mean with the soreness. What I find the best though, is the session after a super intense/long session followed by a recovery run. That's why I don't usually put my rest day after a long run, because it just makes the soreness that much worse. Snowboarding probably helped :wink: I'm a big believer in cross-training.

Haha the school of hard knocks! er... on your legs. :) :O! Good point! I should just try to do recovery runs and just handle out the soreness. I get really sore and it sometimes takes a while because I believe I generate lactic acid more than most. :unsure:

Yeah gotta be careful of injuries! :)
Seriously. It's a warfare everyday. Not really. :p

:happy2: Sounds great! Yep it's much better to start small, be consistent and just enjoy the process. Maybe don't focus on the weight loss and just eat "healthy" while building up? I find that if I make weight loss the goal of running, it kinda kills the joy in it.
True. I just need to focus on the process of running. Just like creativity. What's more rewarding, the process or the goal? I told my philosophy teacher that. Shame that he didn't appreciate it all that well.

Oooh good idea. I can see how that would work. :) I'll give it a go for my easy run tonight.

Haha yes. :) I'm sure you have a bit better understanding than me of how the body works than me right now.:blush:

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Haha the school of hard knocks! er... on your legs. :) :O! Good point! I should just try to do recovery runs and just handle out the soreness. I get really sore and it sometimes takes a while because I believe I generate lactic acid more than most. :unsure:
:D My legs are all knocked out today, had jelly legs yesterday when I left the gym. Yep I often find that recovery runs are the most enjoyable because I don't push myself and once I'm all warmed up I can zone out and really relax.

Actually lactic acid is usually cleared by the liver within a few hours, so the soreness is from microtears in the muscle fibers. The stiffness afterwards is an immune response where a sort of scab forms between the tears, and needs to be healed (this is the basis of delayed-onset muscle soreness, or DOMS). When we do an easy recovery, there's more blood flowing through there and anti-inflammatory signals released so it helps to clear it up faster and we feel less stiff. :) That's why it's important not to do 2 hard workouts consecutively though, because a sore muscle is weak and if you push it, you might tear it in a major way.

True. I just need to focus on the process of running. Just like creativity. What's more rewarding, the process or the goal? I told my philosophy teacher that. Shame that he didn't appreciate it all that well.
Heh. I think both are important - the idea of the goal gets us started (e.g. I WANNA LOOK LIKE A GREEK GOD), but focussing too much on a big goal (e.g. losing 20 pounds) makes it likely that we'll give up if we don't see immediate progress. But if we focus only on the process (e.g. I want to work out every day for 3 months) it's quite hard to hold yourself accountable and seek the right level of intensity in the workout. So I think they're both very complementary. That and a detailed plan can help people to go amazing places. :wink:

Haha yes. :) I'm sure you have a bit better understanding than me of how the body works than me right now.:blush:
:newwink: We're the expert of our own bodies.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm a seasonal runner. I only really train with running in the summers. I hate running in the cold. So it's always a battle of building myself up again from the 1 to 1 1/2 mile area to 2 1/2 - 3 miles on a lucky day. To me nothing feels better than sweating and running in hot weather. Running in the cold feels like I'm just working to try and feel slightly warm, which never works 100%, I don't want to drink water after, sweat freezes after, etc. etc.

Doesn't it feel like you have to restart all the time though? I suggest buying some long slacks to run and doing indoor as much as you can then. Even though I find indoor boring. :laugh:

It used to be summer time: train every single day, eat light, lots of water, activities.
Winter time (which was only 3 months really): chill mode, train 2-3 times a week and in shorter amounts, eat a bit heavier food, lots of reading and studying.
Eating does have a huge effect on running, I feel like crap if I'm running on Taco Bell lol.

But now? I live in an area that's cold more often than it is hot. (Well.. cold to me anyways.) so I'm trying to find the motivation to train differently. It is a serious challenge.
Agreed. For me as long as it doesn't snow, I'm okay with it. If it DOES. Well I'm huddled inside.

:D My legs are all knocked out today, had jelly legs yesterday when I left the gym. Yep I often find that recovery runs are the most enjoyable because I don't push myself and once I'm all warmed up I can zone out and really relax.
Jelly legs are the WORST. So SO bad. I wish I had the patience like you, the more bundled of wow my body can now handle more tension. I force myself to push to its limits again. I need to remind myself I'm not training to be a navy seal, just to be a good runner lol.

Actually lactic acid is usually cleared by the liver within a few hours, so the soreness is from microtears in the muscle fibers. The stiffness afterwards is an immune response where a sort of scab forms between the tears, and needs to be healed (this is the basis of delayed-onset muscle soreness, or DOMS). When we do an easy recovery, there's more blood flowing through there and anti-inflammatory signals released so it helps to clear it up faster and we feel less stiff. :) That's why it's important not to do 2 hard workouts consecutively though, because a sore muscle is weak and if you push it, you might tear it in a major way.

Hmm.. maybe that's how I got my injury. Microtears sound horrific, but must be natural. Good to know, I tend to do better when I have the "why" in my head.
Thank you! Serious.

Heh. I think both are important - the idea of the goal gets us started (e.g. I WANNA LOOK LIKE A GREEK GOD), but focusing too much on a big goal (e.g. losing 20 pounds) makes it likely that we'll give up if we don't see immediate progress. But if we focus only on the process (e.g. I want to work out every day for 3 months) it's quite hard to hold yourself accountable and seek the right level of intensity in the workout. So I think they're both very complementary. That and a detailed plan can help people to go amazing places. :wink:

True. It's just getting yourself to be accountable for the detailed plan. :p I'm kind of like plan as you go when things change. :p Then plan some more, changes? More plans lol. But true, true. :) Yeah big goals don't do well if they're not supported by little goals. Sorry I sound like I'm repeating you haha.

:newwink: We're the expert of our own bodies.
True. That was a nice way saying that. We're both right. :)

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Jelly legs are the WORST. So SO bad. I wish I had the patience like you, the more bundled of wow my body can now handle more tension. I force myself to push to its limits again. I need to remind myself I'm not training to be a navy seal, just to be a good runner lol.
:wink: I dunno, navy seals are pretty hot. But yes, it's about progressive overload. There's a rule in running circles not to up the amount that you run by more than 10% every 2 weeks, and that you should drop distance if you increase speed/intensity. There are loads of people who disagree with that rule, but I tend to follow it because I prefer to be conservative to minimise chances of injury.

Hmm.. maybe that's how I got my injury. Microtears sound horrific, but must be natural. Good to know, I tend to do better when I have the "why" in my head.
Thank you! Serious.
No worries. And yes, that's why you're more likely to get injured if you don't build up gradually. Foam rolling also helps with recovery because it breaks up the "scabs" (people call them "knots"), re-aligns the muscles and stimulates blood flow. The microtears are a normal part of training, that's how you get stronger/bigger muscles. :newwink:

True. It's just getting yourself to be accountable for the detailed plan. :p I'm kind of like plan as you go when things change. :p Then plan some more, changes? More plans lol. But true, true. :) Yeah big goals don't do well if they're not supported by little goals. Sorry I sound like I'm repeating you haha.
Haha I know what you mean with preferring to be flexible. What I find helps though, is if there is structure but also some degree of flexibility. For e.g. I can make a specific goal that I'm going to run 5k 3 times a week - but how/when I run it is completely flexible.

Or (my current program) I want to do 1 long run, 1 tempo run, 1 interval run, 1 short/high intensity run and 2 easy runs a week for a total of 50k - when/in what order I do those runs is flexible and dependent on other/social plans for the day. Some days I feel good so I do a hard workout, some days not so good so an easy/short run. Some weeks I get sick so I don't get to do everything, but more often than not I finish, and that's good enough. The big goal is the marathon - which I'm terrified about - but I'm just trusting that if I gradually increase the distance and keep training it will be OK. Having the big goal there is what keeps me honest. ;)

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
:wink: I dunno, navy seals are pretty hot. But yes, it's about progressive overload. There's a rule in running circles not to up the amount that you run by more than 10% every 2 weeks, and that you should drop distance if you increase speed/intensity. There are loads of people who disagree with that rule, but I tend to follow it because I prefer to be conservative to minimise chances of injury.

I would imagine so haha. :D I'll try to tell myself that rule. I've gotten better at pacing myself though. And done shorter sprints with hard running.

No worries. And yes, that's why you're more likely to get injured if you don't build up gradually. Foam rolling also helps with recovery because it breaks up the "scabs" (people call them "knots"), re-aligns the muscles and stimulates blood flow. The microtears are a normal part of training, that's how you get stronger/bigger muscles. :newwink:
I see. I probably need to get one of those then. Gosh my coach professor worked in the labs. Why didn't he educate me? :mad: :p

Haha I know what you mean with preferring to be flexible. What I find helps though, is if there is structure but also some degree of flexibility. For e.g. I can make a specific goal that I'm going to run 5k 3 times a week - but how/when I run it is completely flexible.
True. I hate even conforming to my own specific goals should I find something new. It's a weird feeling to feel like you're bossed by your former self, as odd as that sounds.

Or (my current program) I want to do 1 long run, 1 tempo run, 1 interval run, 1 short/high intensity run and 2 easy runs a week for a total of 50k - when/in what order I do those runs is flexible and dependent on other/social plans for the day. Some days I feel good so I do a hard workout, some days not so good so an easy/short run. Some weeks I get sick so I don't get to do everything, but more often than not I finish, and that's good enough. The big goal is the marathon - which I'm terrified about - but I'm just trusting that if I gradually increase the distance and keep training it will be OK. Having the big goal there is what keeps me honest. ;)

I should just learn to do different types of runs. Lol. Don't get sick for me please? :cry: Haha with preparation, it'll be intense. But I think that's the exciting part to rush into something unknown. Had you known the experience, I don't think the finishing process or feeling would be as satisfying. I know when I did my more "perfect" training. I've loved the races that came afterwards, although there was one great race that came out of nowhere. Although it was hard to finish at the end, I was surprised by the boost.