• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Random TV Show Thoughts

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The wife has been binging that show The Goldbergs. The references are amusing but I hate how the timeline jumps around. One episode they’ll be referencing something from the late 80s but the next episode they’ll be talking about going to see an early 80s movie. I though Stranger Things was bad about the historical errors

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

finally binged succession and i'm ready for more 😤

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Community is still making me very happy. Whenever I watch it, I always end up feeling good and like the world is briefly okay. it's just so damned funny.

I just reached S3e14, Pillows and Blankets, which is the second part of the conflict between Troy and Abed about whether blankets or pillows will make the biggest fort to get into the Guinness Book of World Records. This basically leads to a war across the community college campus (using pillows as weapons). The entire episode is done in the form of a PBS war documentary, it's pitch perfect and hilarious, and it's narrated by Keith David.

But the other side of the coin is that the characters have built relationships with each other and there's this kind of familiarity and fondness for each other that gets brought out. There were actually a few touching moments in this episode, including when Jeff goes for the imaginary friendship hats. I can't help but love this show.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
How was there a 4th season of Eastbound and Down that I didn't know about!?!? I must fix this!

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I had to lie low for several days over the past week, with a few days lying in bed/on the couch basically all day long, and I binged all of seasons 12 and 13 of Grey's Anatomy, as well as the final 1/4 of season 11 and solidly into season 14. This was no small feat and though I do not consider it quality along the lines of Mr. Robot or Better Call Saul or others, it's like candy and continues to provide excellent drama and relational mishaps. Woo! (I never in a million years thought I'd make it this far when I started watching it, but what can I say)

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I love that episode of Community where it's like Goodfellas except with fried chicken in the cafeteria instead of the Lufthansa heist. I love any show with a fried chicken Mafia. I think the first episode I saw was the one just before the epic paintball 2-parter that ended season 2. I'd been watching Parks and Rec and the Community folks would flood the AV club comments (back when the site was good and not just woke cllickbait like about how Ellie Kemper is a Nazi princess.). Any way they were chatting about how Community was a much better show, so I thought I checked it out. I don't really know which show is better, I enjoy them both. Community Season 4 was rough.... I can't remember any season as bad as that on Parks and Recreation. The highlight of Season 4 is probably the one at the Inspector Spacetime Convention, with Tricia Helfer (The additional cameos at the end made me lol as someone with a sister who was a teenager in the 90s). It's just... everyone is so off and one note..... Annie no longer has any defining traits besides being obsessed with Jeff , and Abed is always talking about how bad the Star Wars prequels are because that's what nerds do. I mean, it is what nerds do but it seems like the kind of obvious thing that someone who wasn't really familiar with that culture would settle on because that's the one thing they know about it. I did like Chagnesia.. .was that this season?

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
But the other side of the coin is that the characters have built relationships with each other and there's this kind of familiarity and fondness for each other that gets brought out. There were actually a few touching moments in this episode, including when Jeff goes for the imaginary friendship hats. I can't help but love this show.

It does have really endearing moments. The scenes where they all start saying the same thing to each other - and actually start saying them in unison - totally kill me.

I can't remember which season (I want to say 3 or 4), but the episode where they rehash all their past arguments to try to figure out what goes wrong - pretty sure it's the episode where Annie loses a pen, and they spend the whole episode looking for it (everyone proving they're not the one who has it) - reminds me of the forum, in our occasional pockets of "what's wrong with the forum?" Correction: it was after the missing pen episode, it was called Paradigms of Human Memory.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
girls was a fantastic show and sadly had it's reputation ruined by lena dunham's horrible personality.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
girls was a fantastic show and sadly had it's reputation ruined by lena dunham's horrible personality.

I'm kinda interested in checking it out because it was Adam Driver's breakout role. How often is he in it?

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

only 2 episodes out, but this show is sooooo good

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Phg4Sjh.png

for the degrassi heads, up for debate.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Phg4Sjh.png

for the degrassi heads, up for debate.

Is the guy on the bottom the guy who put drake in the wheelchair? I've seen a few episodes of this show, I confess. I recognize a few of the characters.

Isn't it amusing that there's now a Canadian gold medalist with the last name De Grasse?

Which one is the bad boy that Emma tried to date? There are a few guys on the left that look like they could be candidates.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Watched the first two episodes of "What If...?" on Disney+.

It's okay so far.

I like the animation style decently; others might differ. It's pretty fluid and expressive.

The plotting is hit or miss so far. Episode #1 casts Sharon Carter as Captain America through a fluke in the original scene that turned Steve Rogers into Cap. But it pretty much just seems to be similar in all the beats (except for a few that mildly change) to CA: The First Avenger except with a woman in the role. So not super imaginative or anything.

Episode #2 is What if T'Challa had been captured instead of Peter and became Star-Lord? This episode is a bit more imaginative, although it all kind of rolls out of the premise that T'Challa would bring a nobility to Star-Lord that Quill did not possess, so instead of becoming a scoundrel, he becomes more like a Robin Hood figure and the ruffians who either did not recognize him or who ragged on him now are kind of glomming for his attention. What's really kind of fascinating is the huge cast we recognize from MCU and how they would be reshaped by this, and that Marvel got all the voice actors back from live action MCU (aside from Chris Pratt). Again, it's marginally better than the first episode and at least tries to do something newer with the concept, and I even laughed occasionally throughout. (It's kind of funny hearing a reformed Thanos continuing to gripe all the time about how he still thinks his personal plan to reallocate stellar resources is more effective and efficient -- he's like the loser at the bar who just cannot shut up about his pet peeve.) ALso, they got Chadwick Boseman to record his lines before his passing.

Jury is still out, it's been rather lackluster so far overall. I don't really get how they managed to take an idea like this and just come up with some kind of lame one-offs. I loved the What If comic, there were some great issues. (I still reread the "What if Jean Grey had Lived?" title, and the humor issue.)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Been pushing through "Sharp Objects" (from 2018, HBO Max now). My son read the book, so we've been comparing notes during my viewing.

It's a very slow burn, which is why I never finished the first time -- I mustn't have been in the right headspace to deal with the pace -- but my opinion is that it's extremely well done and the acting is great. THere's also a lot of interesting ways in which the show deals with memory. Usually most film with memory/flashbacks just does them as full-fledged memory flashbacks (audio, visual) but this show handles them more in how they actually work. Usually during the regular current-moment plotting, Camille will get visual glimpses (or occasional audio) of past experiences flashing up in her head related to the current moment, sometimes more targeted, sometimes more tangential. But I find this to be more on target with how I experience memories IRL, it's like these flashes of connection to past events and isn't necessarily a full-fledged memory unless I sit down and consciously indulge, and typically they are just these momentary flashes tying me back to the past moment. This does however mean that you cannot half-watch the show, your eyes need to be on the TV the entire time to catch these past glimpses.

I think the show is excellent and my watching of it is definitely a love/hate relationship. In fact, I find myself extremely angry and frustrated much of the time when watching it. This is a sign of how engaging it is, even while my emotional state during the viewing is not necessarily pleasurable. In fact, I'm sometimes feeling like just quitting because I'm so frustrated. My frustration is that it is set in a small town dealing with some really awful human beings and social dynamics, which I experienced myself (to some degree) growing up and still often feel twinges of when I go back to visit, so this show is tapping into all that. Camille dealt with all of her pain, grief, and rage by actively destroying herself in some ways (she's a chronic drinker, and she has carved a lot of stuff into her body over the years), and going back to the hometown is just putting her in emotional and physical jeopardy. Her mother is one of the worst -- a small town matriarch who is in everyone's business, who feels like everyone else's behavior is a commentary on her (for good or ill), and who views herself as the long-suffering perpetual victim of other people's inconsideration, esp Camille. It's very easy to grasp why Camille became so self-destructive, because she manifests her pain outwardly in a world where women are either supposed to be engaging on the surface while catty behind the scenes, or just otherwise bear their pain stoically and pretend it doesn't affect them.

The show itself is on the surface about two murders in the local community, but it's actually focused on the dark web extending throughout the community (with Camille's mother like the spider queen at the center) and the psychological impact on the people involved, esp Camille who is both a local and yet now also treated like an outsider after escaping for the "big city" years prior.

The high marks for the show are pretty deserved IMO... but I can't say the experience is entirely pleasurable. Like Camille does in the season at least once, I want to press my face into a pillow and scream in frustration uncontrollably many times over.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Been pushing through "Sharp Objects" (from 2018, HBO Max now). My son read the book, so we've been comparing notes during my viewing.

Wow. What a tour de force and not following convention. If you can make it through the eight episodes (amounting to about eight hours) and accept it's more of a character study of the messed up relationships in families in small towns, rather than the murder mysteries that are an excuse to bring people together, then it's definitely worth watching. There is also a lot of misdirection in the show up until its final minutes and it is worth watching to the very end of the credits if you want to see everything about this story. I don't even feel cheated, because the way it ends up actually resolves some of the uncertainty I had about previous resolutions in the finale. It actually does make a lot more sense by the time it clicks off.

There are so many layers to this drama and interplays between what characters do both to themselves and to others.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Is the guy on the bottom the guy who put drake in the wheelchair? I've seen a few episodes of this show, I confess. I recognize a few of the characters.

Isn't it amusing that there's now a Canadian gold medalist with the last name De Grasse?

Which one is the bad boy that Emma tried to date? There are a few guys on the left that look like they could be candidates.

emma is actually romantically linked to 4 of the "chaotic" men :eek:
the guy kinda in the middle of the chaotic good quadrant was her most enduring love interest through the series though.
and yes, bottom middle is rick the school shooter.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
righteous gemstones season 2 and the actual star trek orville season 3 are finally in production. i don't really watch a lot of tv or movies so it's nice when something i can actually stand comes back.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
emma is actually romantically linked to 4 of the "chaotic" men :eek:
the guy kinda in the middle of the chaotic good quadrant was her most enduring love interest through the series though.
and yes, bottom middle is rick the school shooter.

That was Spinner, right?