• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Random Star Trek thoughts

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
I like to imagine Miles and Julian's holo suite adventures have aged up with them still the same kind of thing, but reflecting their lived experience. I like to imagine by this time Barclay's allowed to have a holographic girlfriend and friends without people making a big honking space deal all of the time.

The Cat

Staff member
"Yeah Demar, what kind of people give those orders?" I only just noticed, when Demar looks at Kira. In his eyes, its not anger, its understanding. This is the first time he's actually seen Kira, or any Bajoran and realized they're people just like Cardassians are people. ITs kind of a powerful moment where a man who considered himself a patriot and a good citizen and honorable soldier his entire life realizes his entire life was a lie. How he responds to that is the exact opposite of Dukat when presented with the same realization. Dukat retreats further into madness and depravity. Demar becomes a hero for the people. Ds9 did some good character arcs

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I like to imagine Miles and Julian's holo suite adventures have aged up with them still the same kind of thing, but reflecting their lived experience. I like to imagine by this time Barclay's allowed to have a holographic girlfriend and friends without people making a big honking space deal all of the time.
I don't think any of the regulars objected to Geordi's holographic girlfriend, from what I remember. Although, I know there's a follow up episode where he meets the real life inspiration, and it goes about as well as you would expect, lol.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Season 1, Episode 7 of Picard is probably the strongest episode yet.

I think almost everything between Picard, Troi, Riker, and everyone else on the planet worked well. And, since this came up earlier, they did showcase some of Picard's flaws. I like this idea of him stepping back up into the mantle of Captain Jean Luc Picard. Sometimes there are times in our lives where we don't live, and then something (even if we don't know what it is) shakes us out of that, and we feel alive again. I found those moments where that was alluded to extremely satisfying.

I also like that Soji still has a really hard time trusting Picard at the end, even after everything everyone has said to her.

Was this planet supposed to remind us of Kirk's retreat inside the Nexus in Generations?

Something I'm getting tired of: scenes where Allyson Pill is trying to consider her secret about what happened to Bruce Maddox. I will see that Alisson Pill is a phenomenal actress and that
she helps make these scenes semi-tolerable.

Can Romulans mind-meld? I'm inclined to think not and that it's something that they have to follow Vulcan philosophy to get. I always assumed the Vulcan officer who had her kill Maddox was actually a Romulan. I suppose in this case, the mind-meld thing may be complete bullshit made possible by futuristic sunglasses, but if so, shouldn't Alison Pill know better than to fall for that?

The stuff aboard the Borg Cube was getting a little tedious as well; I hope that with the death of Hugh, Romulan Legolas can sustain my interest in these scenes.

A good thing about this show: even though it has a lot of references, callbacks, and old characters (even obscure ones) reuniting, none of it seems like fanservice to me.

The Cat

Staff member
Season 1, Episode 7 of Picard is probably the strongest episode yet.

I think almost everything between Picard, Troi, Riker, and everyone else on the planet worked well. And, since this came up earlier, they did showcase some of Picard's flaws. I like this idea of him stepping back up into the mantle of Captain Jean Luc Picard. Sometimes there are times in our lives where we don't live, and then something (even if we don't know what it is) shakes us out of that, and we feel alive again. I found those moments where that was alluded to extremely satisfying.

I also like that Soji still has a really hard time trusting Picard at the end, even after everything everyone has said to her.

Was this planet supposed to remind us of Kirk's retreat inside the Nexus in Generations?

Something I'm getting tired of: scenes where Allyson Pill is trying to consider her secret about what happened to Bruce Maddox. I will see that Alisson Pill is a phenomenal actress and that
she helps make these scenes semi-tolerable.

Can Romulans mind-meld? I'm inclined to think not and that it's something that they have to follow Vulcan philosophy to get. I always assumed the Vulcan officer who had her kill Maddox was actually a Romulan. I suppose in this case, the mind-meld thing may be complete bullshit made possible by futuristic sunglasses, but if so, shouldn't Alison Pill know better than to fall for that?

The stuff aboard the Borg Cube was getting a little tedious as well; I hope that with the death of Hugh, Romulan Legolas can sustain my interest in these scenes.

A good thing about this show: even though it has a lot of references, callbacks, and old characters (even obscure ones) reuniting, none of it seems like fanservice to me.
Yes. It was a little different in that Picard chose to hide and Kirk was more, just trying to make the best of a bad situation(he didnt choose to be there like Picard chose the Vinyard. But its meant to hit the same notes when he needs to be talked into leaving. For Kirk it was a second chance to do over reckless decisions in youth. (Showing Kirk having matured from even Star Trek Six) And for Picard it was to show how cynical and discouraged he'd become showing his "maturing"(getting more cynical) The Difference to me between Kirk and Picard is Picard talked Kirk into leaving heaven to return to earth for one last heroic go of it, where as Picard was a like a ghost haunting his brother's life who is set free from the haunting to move onto the afterlife.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yes. It was a little different in that Picard chose to hide and Kirk was more, just trying to make the best of a bad situation(he didnt choose to be there like Picard chose the Vinyard. But its meant to hit the same notes when he needs to be talked into leaving. For Kirk it was a second chance to do over reckless decisions in youth. (Showing Kirk having matured from even Star Trek Six) And for Picard it was to show how cynical and discouraged he'd become showing his "maturing"(getting more cynical) The Difference to me between Kirk and Picard is Picard talked Kirk into leaving heaven to return to earth for one last heroic go of it, where as Picard was a like a ghost haunting his brother's life who is set free from the haunting to move onto the afterlife.
That's interesting. I was thinking less of the vineyard, and more Riker and Troi's place.

The Cat

Staff member
That's interesting. I was thinking less of the vineyard, and more Riker and Troi's place.
Ive always found Picard's tango with the vinyard the second most fascinating thing about him. Like Clearly he was a bratty insufferable snot as a kid. As a teenager, as a young adult; as a significant other. Picard in almost everyway at least once in every TNG episode is depicted as a VERY difficult man personally to live with. Robert is never one portrayed or referred to as a man who exaggerates, and he spells out pretty clearly who Picard was as a kid, and Q makes Picard face up to who he was as a person a number of times. Like one thing Ive never understood is why Picard is always talked about like he's this great even temper and nice teamlsy guy in a way kirk never was when IN REALITY*Dramatic chord* The inverse is more true. Kirk was far more teamsly and even tempered. He was a cowboy for sure, but he was a cowboy with a possy. He cared so much about his crew he went down to the planets instead of sending someone else. It was unorthodox, but Kirk was a rural working man from a farm place.

Picard was kind of like a bad ass fraisure. But I get the feeling that Jack Crusher's death is what made him stop tom catting around like he didnt care if he got stabbed by a Nausican or who thought he was a snot. If they could find a good actor I would love to see a series of Picard and Jack and Beverly in Starfleet Academy, I think it has everything that would make for a good sexy drama set in the Trekiverse. It strikes the right balance of nostalgia and new so long as they dont try to reinvent the wheel for it. Just slate it for five seasons with an option to renew at seven and I guarauntee you it would draw in audiences both old and new fans to the franchise alike. They better do it soon if they want to be able to get Patrick Stewart to do voice overs of Picard looking back as a narrator.

But yeah it seems clear to me that Picard has about as complicated feelings about that Vinyard as Kirk does about being bisexual.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Ive always found Picard's tango with the vinyard the second most fascinating thing about him. Like Clearly he was a bratty insufferable snot as a kid. As a teenager, as a young adult; as a significant other. Picard in almost everyway at least once in every TNG episode is depicted as a VERY difficult man personally to live with. Robert is never one portrayed or referred to as a man who exaggerates, and he spells out pretty clearly who Picard was as a kid, and Q makes Picard face up to who he was as a person a number of times. Like one thing Ive never understood is why Picard is always talked about like he's this great even temper and nice teamlsy guy in a way kirk never was when IN REALITY*Dramatic chord* The inverse is more true. Kirk was far more teamsly and even tempered.

People say this, but I remember Kirk getting into a lot of fistfights; I don't remember Picard getting in any except in flashbacks. And there was First Contact where he mowed down the Borg with a Tommy gun or something like that.

(Also, the fist fights had some fairly interesting moves. There's one thing that comes up a lot where they put their hands together, as if in prayer, and then karate chop the back of the opponent. I highly doubt that works.)

The Cat

Staff member
People say this, but I remember Kirk getting into a lot of fistfights; I don't remember Picard getting in any except in flashbacks. And there was First Contact where he mowed down the Borg with a Tommy gun or something like that.

(Also, the fist fights had some fairly interesting moves. There's one thing that comes up a lot where they put their hands together, as if in prayer, and then karate chop the back of the opponent. I highly doubt that works.)
Well how many fights have you been in or seen? Because they rarely ever look like they do in movies or in tv shows, the closest genre that gets things right is horror becuase they're morality plays and they need to make it real enough to make the audience uncomfortable, but that aside. Kirk did get in a lot of fist fights(he's a cowboy) and that used to be a fairly common way people settled things. Its why so many of the fights are portrayed as fair or honorable duels. Gotta reach the audiences where they live with what they know or they wont tune in.

Regarding Picard not. in the middle of his arc. That's what i mean. Something happned to him before taking command of the enterprise something so traumatic that it took being raped by the borg to bring it back out. My bet is his reckless cockiness got Jack killed and Beverly covered for him. That's why Westley bugged him so much. It should have been Jack's command Bev and Wes were sailing under. So Wes viewing him as a father figure, finding happiness with another woman, its too much to bear. What's really interesting to me and how you can tell Q REALLY DOES LIKE Picard. He never appears to him as Jack Crusher, he could, but it would destroy picard.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Well how many fights have you been in or seen? Because they rarely ever look like they do in movies or in tv shows, the closest genre that gets things right is horror becuase they're morality plays and they need to make it real enough to make the audience uncomfortable, but that aside. Kirk did get in a lot of fist fights(he's a cowboy) and that used to be a fairly common way people settled things. Its why so many of the fights are portrayed as fair or honorable duels. Gotta reach the audiences where they live with what they know or they wont tune in.

Regarding Picard not. in the middle of his arc. That's what i mean. Something happned to him before taking command of the enterprise something so traumatic that it took being raped by the borg to bring it back out. My bet is his reckless cockiness got Jack killed and Beverly covered for him. That's why Westley bugged him so much. It should have been Jack's command Bev and Wes were sailing under. So Wes viewing him as a father figure, finding happiness with another woman, its too much to bear. What's really interesting to me and how you can tell Q REALLY DOES LIKE Picard. He never appears to him as Jack Crusher, he could, but it would destroy picard.
That's interesting. Most of the episodes I've seen haven't dealt with Jack Crusher.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't recall if Picard Season 3 had any more detail, but it seemed a case where Picard was responsible for choosing who lived and died (in some way or another) and he saved another person before he could help Jack. At least, that's what I had pieced together. It emulates a test Wesley faced in TNG at some point. But Jack was his best friend, Picard would deal with survivor's guilt, and also the sense maybe that he had been prejudiced against Jack because they were best friends and he didn't want to make a partial decision?

Then of course it gets all weird because of the Bev/Jean Luc/Wesley triangle.

Jean Luc is palatable much of the time because we see him in private moments or inside his own head, but yeah on the surface he can seem gruff and curmudgeony and rather finnicky. Riker can be annoying in often seeming wanting to be the loudest voice in the room, but he's more accessible and even keel in some ways -- more what you see is what you get. I'm not sure all the other characters always get Jean luc.

The Cat

Staff member
I don't recall if Picard Season 3 had any more detail, but it seemed a case where Picard was responsible for choosing who lived and died (in some way or another) and he saved another person before he could help Jack. At least, that's what I had pieced together. It emulates a test Wesley faced in TNG at some point. But Jack was his best friend, Picard would deal with survivor's guilt, and also the sense maybe that he had been prejudiced against Jack because they were best friends and he didn't want to make a partial decision?

Then of course it gets all weird because of the Bev/Jean Luc/Wesley triangle.

Jean Luc is palatable much of the time because we see him in private moments or inside his own head, but yeah on the surface he can seem gruff and curmudgeony and rather finnicky. Riker can be annoying in often seeming wanting to be the loudest voice in the room, but he's more accessible and even keel in some ways -- more what you see is what you get. I'm not sure all the other characters always get Jean luc.
That's it! That makes so much sense(I havenst seen season 3 yet, im not ready for it to be over) Patrick Stewart played this so well. His eccentricity is my favorite thing about him as a captain. He has a way of feeling like dispite being a starfleet officer, he's still a provincial farmer from the french country side. He's just trying to do his job, or play his piccolo and all these hectic situations keep coming up. I can just picture him at the end of the day collapsing into his bed taking a deep sigh and saying. "What the fuck is it about mondays, this shit all seems to happen every week." I think my favorite Picard episodes are Picard and Dathon at El-Adrel., and The one where he meets Vash. Going to the pleasure planet of Rhysa to read. I felt seen.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
1000005007.jpg

The Cat

Staff member
“When everything is intense, nothing is intense.”

I like the technical point he made about the focus especially. I think the biggest issue with modern trek vs older trek is the lack of faith in the possibility of getting a next season, so they rush the arcs with a lot of melodrama in every scene. I wish Paramount would just pick up the shows for 5-7 seasons and let the writers, directors and actors make their shows.

This guy was spot on with what makes things cinematic. Hollywood has forgotten the face of its Father.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I like the technical point he made about the focus especially. I think the biggest issue with modern trek vs older trek is the lack of faith in the possibility of getting a next season, so they rush the arcs with a lot of melodrama in every scene. I wish Paramount would just pick up the shows for 5-7 seasons and let the writers, directors and actors make their shows.

This guy was spot on with what makes things cinematic. Hollywood has forgotten the face of its Father.
I miss the 26 episode per season format but I realize that's just never coming back. Also, as much as I love DS9, I think massive, multi-episode/season-long arcs should be the exception rather than the norm in Star Trek.

The Cat

Staff member
I miss the 26 episode per season format but I realize that's just never coming back. Also, as much as I love DS9, I think massive, multi-episode/season-long arcs should be the exception rather than the norm in Star Trek.
I really miss it. I believe we could have it back, but they'd have to go back to relying on solid writing and dedicated actors. And dial back the special effects. I dont think any network would be willing to do that these days. I'll always prefer arcs over episodic though. But I think there can be a balance.