• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Random Star Trek thoughts

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Real life needs roads to redemption like in Star Trek.
Also Operation Paperclip *cough cough*
I don't know Garak's full character arc since I haven't watched the whole series. I know he was involved in the Obsidian order, but I don't know if they ever really established him played a role in the occupation of Bajor. I seem to remember most of his misdeeds were against other members of the Obsidian order, which doesn't seem that irredeemable. (I only watched a portion of the video because I figured it must contain spoilers, so forgive me if there is something missing from my analysis.)

My basic stance:

Sometimes people need to be forgiven.

And sometimes they need to go to jail.

That's the tough part:

What can we forgive?

There have been times when I related to Sisko here.

Last edited:

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
I don't know Garak's full character arc since I haven't watched the whole series. I know he was involved in the Obsidian order, but I don't know if they ever really established him played a role in the occupation of Bajor. I seem to remember most of his misdeeds were against other members of the Obsidian order, which doesn't seem that irredeemable. (I only watched a portion of the video because I figured it must contain spoilers, so forgive me if there is something missing from my analysis.)

My basic stance:

That's the tough part:

What can we forgive?

Steve jumps to a couple of guns that I typically disagree with. Much of Garaks tenure was gardening on Romulus. The three stories he told Bashir are all true, and a lot of the people he killed while in the order were cardassians like dukats father. his actual sin was having sex with some legets wife and getting found out

The Cat

Staff member

My basic stance:

That's the tough part:

What can we forgive?

Whatever you are inclined same as always same as anybody. You can forgive anything you want.

The Cat

Staff member
Speaking of: What do you want Ambassador?

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Whatever you are inclined same as always same as anybody. You can forgive anything you want.
I might be able to forgive a betrayal (or something that felt like it) if I thought they seemed remorseful about it. If they kept dodging the subject and didn't show any sense of shame as well as demonstrated an inclination to engage in the same exact behavior, that would be different. It's important to keep that in mind, in a more general sense. What does someone think of the bad thing they did? And are they going to just keep doing it?

Oh, and I meant to include this video in the above post. I quote it:

Last edited:

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Steve jumps to a couple of guns that I typically disagree with. Much of Garaks tenure was gardening on Romulus. The three stories he told Bashir are all true, and a lot of the people he killed while in the order were cardassians like dukats father. his actual sin was having sex with some legets wife and getting found out
That aligns with my memories.

The Cat

Staff member
Kor, Koloth, and Kang really made me feel the joy of being a klingon.

I think Once more Unto the Breach has some of the best dialogues in DS9
These clips dont get all of it, but its close.​

The Cat

Staff member
So my theory is that Gul Dukat was blinded by the P Wraiths because he couldnt keep his dick in his pants when he was running his cult for them. Dukat's ambition constantly has him looking from what he should be doing for his masters to what he thinks he's owed for his service. Kai Winn and Dukat being the chosen of the Pa Wraiths isnt even about bajor. Its about hurting the prophets and teaching them that even their most holy are faithless to them when presented with anything from the pa wraiths.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Ok, from an episode I've seen:

"We do not fear you [solids] the way you fear us." That's not the way the Vorta or even the head Changeling told it. Wasn't the whole Dominion founded based on a fear of solids?

Last edited:

The Cat

Staff member
Ok, from an episode I've seen:

"We do not fear you [solids] the way you fear us." That's not the way the Vorta or even the head Changeling told it. Wasn't the whole Dominion founded based on a fear of solids?
The Vorta were also told their suicide pills were painless. That too was a lie.

The Cat

Staff member
Makes you wonder what else the Vorta believed was a lie.
My theory is literally everything. The Vorta are genetically engineered to be diplomats who compulsively lie to everyone not a founder. What better way to cement the effectiveness of the Vorta than to make it so everything the vorta believes to be true is a lie. The Jem Hadar often figure things out quicker than the Vorta because to the Jem Hadar. The founders are gods. They speak to the Vorta. The Jem Hadar fight and kill in the name of the Jem Hadar. Obedience brings victory. Victory is life.

What trips my biscuits is Odo returns to the Great Link and for lack of a better word, subdues the Founders, ending the war for the alpha quadrant. They still hold all the poker chips in the gama quadrant. They'll still keep the Vorta around as servants. Though they might not be genetically engineered the same way. They'll still keep the jem hadar, but they'll definitely be a new formula same great toughness and obedience, less aggressive outside of combat. Because no matter what Odo does to the Founders in the great link. Odo isnt very fond of solids in general. He's just more fascinated by them than the others.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
My theory is literally everything. The Vorta are genetically engineered to be diplomats who compulsively lie to everyone not a founder. What better way to cement the effectiveness of the Vorta than to make it so everything the vorta believes to be true is a lie. The Jem Hadar often figure things out quicker than the Vorta because to the Jem Hadar. The founders are gods. They speak to the Vorta. The Jem Hadar fight and kill in the name of the Jem Hadar. Obedience brings victory. Victory is life.

What trips my biscuits is Odo returns to the Great Link and for lack of a better word, subdues the Founders, ending the war for the alpha quadrant. They still hold all the poker chips in the gama quadrant. They'll still keep the Vorta around as servants. Though they might not be genetically engineered the same way. They'll still keep the jem hadar, but they'll definitely be a new formula same great toughness and obedience, less aggressive outside of combat. Because no matter what Odo does to the Founders in the great link. Odo isnt very fond of solids in general. He's just more fascinated by them than the others.
I never saw Odo as hating solids in a general sense (specific examples like that Bajoran doctor who raised him are a different story), just not feeling like he belonged among them. He was ecstatic about discovering the Great Link because he felt like he belonged. Even if he didn't have his past as an outsider, it would have been an ecstatic experience. I don't think he would have wanted to hold dominion over solids, though.

Last edited:

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I think the character odo from ds9 is perfect rep of people with schizoaffective because we never quite fit in, like we try to appear normal but people some how still sense we're not quite, but if we're ourselves no one understands us, we want to understand the world but nothing makes sense, and we want to belong somewhere but we don't belong anywhere,

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
From my POV, I've found Odo interesting and relatable because he's an outcast who doesn't fit in with the Bajoran society he was raised in. Then he discovers the other shapeshifters (Founders) and the Great Link, only to find that he's also been shaped by his time apart, which makes him different and unusual from the perspective of the changelings as well. Ultimately, he was unwilling to go along with what they required of him, making him an outsider and exiled from the shapeshifters.

I forgot that I had him as my avatar, probably before the Modest Mouse whale sea captain.

I'm referring to them as shapeshifters because that's how Odo refers to himself. I also think the introduction to the other shapeshifters came before a later reveal that Odo's people are in fact the Founders of the Dominion.

Last edited:

The Cat

Staff member
From my POV, I've found Odo interesting and relatable because he's an outcast who doesn't fit in with the Bajoran society he was raised in. Then he discovers the other shapeshifters (Founders) and the Great Link, only to find that he's also been shaped by his time apart, which makes him different and unusual from the perspective of the changelings as well. Ultimately, he was unwilling to go along with what they required of him, making him an outsider and exiled from the shapeshifters.

I forgot that I had him as my avatar, probably before the Modest Mouse whale sea captain.

I'm referring to them as shapeshifters because that's how Odo refers to himself. I also think the introduction to the other shapeshifters came before a later reveal that Odo's people are in fact the Founders of the Dominion.
it was hinted at pretty low key throughout the show. They had at least the glimmer of the idea.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
it was hinted at pretty low key throughout the show. They had at least the glimmer of the idea.
I like that they were villains who were the inverse of the Federation. They were multispecies, with an extremely strict hierarchy, made up of species that were all genetically engineered to serve specific roles and functions. (Of course, I'm sure critiques could be made of how inclusive the Federation is, just like you could for the Rebellion in Star Wars.)

Last edited:

The Cat

Staff member
I like that they were villains who were the inverse of the Federation. They were multispecies, with an extremely strict hierarchy, made up of species that were all genetically engineered to serve specific roles and functions. (Of course, I'm sure critiques could be made of how inclusive the Federation is, just like you could for the Rebellion in Star Wars.)
I sometimes wonder if they really were the inverse of the federation. The Existence of Section 31 implies the existence of Federation Founders willing and unconcerned with doing whatever it takes to accomplish their goals. idk man, but it makes me think.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I sometimes wonder if they really were the inverse of the federation. The Existence of Section 31 implies the existence of Federation Founders willing and unconcerned with doing whatever it takes to accomplish their goals. idk man, but it makes me think.
I don't know a ton about Section 31, but supporting this point is the fact that a decent chunk of the Star Fleet admirals we meet are shady or corrupt. (Picard and Kirk hold this rank at times but obviously don't count.)