• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Random political thought thread.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
A weapon?

I mean I suppose it depends what you mean by a weapon. The forks in the drawer of the house could be a weapon if I so decided. But if you're asking if I own a gun or pocket knife - the answer is no.

So could a lemon or a salt lick!

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You just did.

Please explain how I did, and what that has to do with what we are discussing anyway.

It seems to me whenever someone disagrees with you, you just get more hostile rather than being open to discussion whatsoever. If you do not intend to have real discussions, why indulge?

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm saying the conservative right isn't concerned about deaths at all. They want people to believe they are and they show concern about the deaths they deem worthy of concern. Elderly, but not children for example. But it's all a lie as they are very cool with a six figure death toll. They only want to play on emotions and it's successful.

That a fair point. But I find it sad how many people also do not feel an emotional tug about the elderly in the first place...
I was going to go into geriatric social work actually, and I started my major under that and began volunteering in those places, and the level of abuse and lack of loving treatment these people received completely broke my heart. On top of it, they were trying to teach me their wrong ways and I refused to learn them, which made them frustrated with me. But I know from my little siblings just because someone cannot speak or defend themselves doesn't mean a person isn't inside there deserving of care. Sadly, I did kind of give up that because I didn't see how I could change anything with the way things are now, but I also did not want to be part of it. Idaho is also shit on the healthcare side though so I pray this isn't everywhere else...

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
That a fair point. But I find it sad how many people also do not feel an emotional tug about the elderly in the first place...
I was going to go into geriatric social work actually, and I started my major under that and began volunteering in those places, and the level of abuse and lack of loving treatment these people received completely broke my heart. On top of it, they were trying to teach me their wrong ways and I refused to learn them, which made them frustrated with me. But I know from my little siblings just because someone cannot speak or defend themselves doesn't mean a person isn't inside there deserving of care. Sadly, I did kind of give up that because I didn't see how I could change anything with the way things are now, but I also did not want to be part of it. Idaho is also shit on the healthcare side though so I pray this isn't everywhere else...

Democrats don't care about the elderly either - not if it impedes profit for hospitals and nursing homes. This is all my union members are - nursing homes and a few hospitals so I'm intimately familiar with how they are administrated and staffed. The "not for profit" religiously based, tax exempt, health care systems, such as they one I deal with every day (Trinity Health) are so incredibly vile to their staff and residents I don't have time to discuss it here.

But OMG COVID is killing them!! I never heard a peep out of any of these conservatives regarding the deaths and neglect of the elderly in nursing homes prior to COVID so they can get the fuck out of here. COVID is also killing the staff but yanno, open the economy!

Jaguar

pHJpibL.gif

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member

I've always had issue with pledging allegiance to a FLAG to symbols instead of ideals. My time in the military magnified this issue. My perspective is considered taboo by my family and most of the physical people I have access to as friends. :shrug:

Burning Paradigm

Vibe Curator & Night Owl
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

I've always had issue with pledging allegiance to a FLAG to symbols instead of ideals. My time in the military magnified this issue. My perspective is considered taboo by my family and most of the physical people I have access to as friends. :shrug:

Pledging allegiance to a flag is a political statement, as well. If you're requiring someone to stand for the pledge, that's forcing them to make a political statement they don't want to make. Analogously, this is also my issue when people say "keep politics out of sports"; as if standing for the anthem itself is not a political statement.

How widespread is your perspective among rank and file in the military?

The Cat

Staff member
Pledging allegiance to a flag is a political statement, as well. If you're requiring someone to stand for the pledge, that's forcing them to make a political statement they don't want to make. Analogously, this is also my issue when people say "keep politics out of sports"; as if standing for the anthem itself is not a political statement.

How widespread is your perspective among rank and file in the military?

I got out with my honorable discharge, before the current administration, so I can't speak to that currently if that's what you're asking?
:unsure:

Yeah that whole keep politics out of sports things bug me too. You see a bunch of guys with a wide audience setting an example for a peaceful protest and people lose their god damned minds, dont listen and when things escalate they wonder why couldnt there have been some sort of peaceful protest that didnt endanger lives?:doh:

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I got out with my honorable discharge, before the current administration, so I can't speak to that currently if that's what you're asking?

Yeah that whole keep politics out of sports things bug me too. You see a bunch of guys with a wide audience setting an example for a peaceful protest and people lose their god damned minds, dont listen and when things escalate they wonder why couldnt there have been some sort of peaceful protest that didnt endanger lives?:doh:

The only thing that irks about sports stuff.

If I protested, peacefully, on my company's time, I would be fired.

Because they're football players making millions though it's okay for them to do something I cannot do.

Burning Paradigm

Vibe Curator & Night Owl
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

I just meant how widely is your perspective that the Pledge of Allegiance is to a FLAG to symbols instead of ideals (or is pointless altogether) shared among people who served or are serving in the military?

And, good God, tell me about it. With Colin Kaepernick, they used his rough couple of seasons with the 49ers to gaslight and say "Ah, but he wasn't blackballed because he kneeled...he was blackballed because he sucked!" Okay, by that standard, there are MANY more quarterbacks who should be cut. In all my arguments with conservative friends, they're like "Well, the NFL is a private organization, they can do it if they want!" Which is technically correct, but should they? Also, would they feel similarly if a conservative were fired by liberal or left-of-center management and ownership (as is often purported to be the case in Hollywood and universities)? Anyhow, end of speech XD

The Cat

Staff member

Because they're football players making millions though it's okay for them to do something I cannot do.

I think you're missing the point. :mellow:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I'm kind of unclear why kneeling during something they would simply be standing for otherwise is somehow doing something on "their company's time."

It's not like they're out in the streets marching while they're supposed to be playing inside and thus failing to do their jobs on the company dime. To me, it's no different than putting a quote in your e-mail tagline at work (which typically gets allowed depending on content and type of business) or some kind of poster hanging in your cube at work that promotes something you believe in without stirring up controversy that derails work.

The guys are just kneeling instead of standing during the same time they'd be there anyway.

The Cat

Staff member
I just meant how widely is your perspective that the Pledge of Allegiance is to a FLAG to symbols instead of ideals (or is pointless altogether) shared among people who served or are serving in the military?

And, good God, tell me about it. With Colin Kaepernick, they used his rough couple of seasons with the 49ers (outside their Super Bowl appearance) to gaslight and say "Ah, but he wasn't blackballed because he kneeled...he was blackballed because he sucked!" Okay, by that standard, there are MANY more quarterbacks who should be cut. In all my arguments with conservative friends, they're like "Well, the NFL is a private organization, they can do it if they want!" Which is technically correct, but should they? Also, would they feel similarly if a conservative were fired by liberal or left-of-center management and ownership (as is often purported to be the case in Hollywood and universities)? Anyhow, end of speech XD

When I was in it was at the height of the whole 9/11 fall out. It depends on the person. tbh. But but most had the attitude of not liking it but defending the right to be able to do it. For the most part. :shrug: