• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Random Movie Thoughts Thread

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I know trailers can sometimes be misleading -- we all know at least one great trailer that ended up being far better than the movie (e.g., suicide squad 1 is a case in point) -- but I was kinda surprised when I went to see "Nobody" the other week that the "Cruella" trailer was actually... decent.

I mean, I really hate the cash cow approach Disney is taking to their existing properties, in remaking all of its animated tales as live action films. And despite the casting of Jolie as Malificent, I am not really fans of the two corresponding films there. The first one is pretty flawed, even despite having Fanning and Jolie in the same film

But the trailer for the pre-101 Dalmations Cruella actually looks kind of interesting, as an origin story so to speak. I don't know if the film itself will pan out, but they did cut a decent trailer for it.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Nope! It was made by the same guy that directed Mandy (which I have yet to see).

Beautiful, creepy, and kind of profound, IMO.

Ah, gotcha. I was being funny anyway.

But I did see Mandy. it's like a surreal nightmare dreamscape, the story itself is pretty simple but how it is told is kinda mind-blowing and fits with Cage's excesses perfectly.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So this is irksome: I purchased the 4K release of Donnie Darko from Arrow, which just released last week although it took Amazon an entire week to get it to me. (That's irksome too -- it's been sitting around the city since Friday but didn't arrive until last evening.)

So I was excited and sat down to watch the Theatrical Cut again -- and it looked jerky in the opening credits starting with the production company logos. I didn't remember that. Then the visuals of the film started after the blackscreen credits... and there looked to be a frame rate issue, it's like instead of a smooth camera movement it consistently was skipping frames so the "smooth pan" was a stutter. It made the film unwatchable and disorienting.

I thought maybe it was my viewer because the disc certainly couldn't be bad throughout the entire film, right? So I tried the Director's Cut, that version was fine in 4K. I then tried a different 4K disc. That worked fine too. I then got out the old bluray by Arrow and that one, the production company logos all were smooth and the TC was fine. It really looked like the disc or even the transfer itself was an issue (since it wasn't just for a few seconds, it looked consistent throughout while still operating).

So then I Googled this problem and lo and behold, people have been complaining since the film released last week about it. DC is fine, TC is messed up on some systems. I think Sony players were handling it fine but a lot of other players were having issues -- significantly so that it's been a widely known thing. I just didn't know because my web site I normally read about it on was down for a week and I got my disc so late.

Arrow is apparently aware. The consumer base strongly feels they need to issue a free replacement disc for the TC once they discover the root of the issue as it's not even a physical disc issue from what can be seen but an actual presentation issue that should have been screened out during the transfer prep. It is also shaking faith in Arrow since QC should have caught this but apparently they did not test adequately across different chipsets. I am not aware of another 4K release going south like this, so obviously the big companies are doing a proper review of their releases. Apparently there was an issue with another Arrow release or two recently as well. (They actually put out nice packages, getting up there with Criterion, but mainly for niche and horror films running back into the 1980's, even some giallo films.)

tl;dr The Donnie Dark 4K TC is apparently hosed on many regular 4K systems, depending on chip manufacturer, widescale.

I am currently watching the DC version, although it's one of those rare releases where I prefer TC over the DC cut.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
James Bond is not a codename. That's a stupid theory and I wish people would stop talking about it.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Rewatched Galaxy Quest yesterday after some years, since my son finally saw it.

It's actually pretty good for what it is and plays nicely as a meta-film (kind of both a homage to Trek-style shows while also gently mocking their idiosyncrasies). It's also amusing, decently cast, and some of the cast appearing here become more widely known later. I think this was actually Justin Long's first film, for example. Sam Rockwell of course became more widely known and went on to win an Academy Award a few years ago. Rainn Wilson of course is one of the aliens (and Missi Pyle).

I remember laughing when watching Deadpool and recalling that the recruiter was one of the aliens from this film too.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Rewatched Salt, which I have a soft spot for despite some of its flaws. Jolie is always watchable, it's got some other decent cast (and I like August Diehl, her husband in the film, who is much more famous in his native Germany and was so great in "A Hidden Life" and "Inglourious Basterds").

I most enjoy the first half of the film mainly because the script manages to obfuscate Salt's allegiances, and actually it keeps them still kind of cloudy until near the end, depending on which version is watched. It's fast, smooth, interesting, and rather enigmatic, and again, Diehl is just so warm and inviting in his scenes -- although this is one of those atypical films where the male is playing the "girlfriend" role whose only purpose is to reflect on and motivate the protagonist (who is usually male, but not here). Some of this might be because it was originally written that way, but then they revised it for a female lead.

I also feel like they cared a bit about details. For example, I know which McDonald's on Front Street in Harrisburg the film refers to in a throwaway line at one point. SOmeone must have googled the city.

Some issues: There are three separate versions of the film, because the director couldn't seem to decide which was best, lol. And this shows a bit in the film's structure. I actually like the most extended version the least as it feels too pat, although there's a nice scene near the end with Salt being held / recuperating, my favorite is the middle version (the regular director's cut). It also feels the most emotionally brutal of the three, based on how subplots resolve.

Also, while I love Jolie and the camera loves her -- I am always impressed at how PHYSICAL they can make her appear, and she does great stunt work -- the reality is that she has a pretty slight build and I just don't think she could be competitive in hand to hand with men who are 80 pounds heavier (most of it upper body muscle and bulk) than her. Typically women are going to need some kind of weapon that allows for quick incapacitation (versus trying to overcome bulk / brawling) and/or they need more bulk to compete, especially in work where people are trained. One of the better representations of this is recent cinema is Charlize Theron as Lorraine in "Atomic BLonde" -- Theron has a better build, she is really bulked for this film, and the film is realistic about what she needs to do -- she relies on blitz maneuvers, prop utilization, and other things to turn the tide against men who just have more upper body muscle than she could ever have. And the film also shows how badly battered she is, even after emerging victorious. LIke, she's pretty bruised and messed up by those fights. Salt does have some of that, but not enough, and Jolie is just so thin, frame-wise. THeron has a good 4" or more on her, and a slightly bigger frame (proportionally) and it matters.

my last annoyance is more of a cosmetic problem. They do really great with her female disguises, but there's a sequence where she pretends to be a man, and I'm sorry but she still looks like a woman pretending to be a man. It's not really her (although her voice is not convincing either), they just physically didn't pull off the disguise (the costume crew). I'm seen more convincing portrayals (for example, Jane/John Doe in "Predestination" or Lyndon in "DEVS"), so it can be done; this just wasn't a good one, and it mattered because she's passing a security checkpoint.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Rewatched Salt, which I have a soft spot for despite some of its flaws. Jolie is always watchable, it's got some other decent cast (and I like August Diehl, her husband in the film, who is much more famous in his native Germany and was so great in "A Hidden Life" and "Inglourious Basterds").

I most enjoy the first half of the film mainly because the script manages to obfuscate Salt's allegiances, and actually it keeps them still kind of cloudy until near the end, depending on which version is watched. It's fast, smooth, interesting, and rather enigmatic, and again, Diehl is just so warm and inviting in his scenes -- although this is one of those atypical films where the male is playing the "girlfriend" role whose only purpose is to reflect on and motivate the protagonist (who is usually male, but not here). Some of this might be because it was originally written that way, but then they revised it for a female lead.

I also feel like they cared a bit about details. For example, I know which McDonald's on Front Street in Harrisburg the film refers to in a throwaway line at one point. SOmeone must have googled the city.

Some issues: There are three separate versions of the film, because the director couldn't seem to decide which was best, lol. And this shows a bit in the film's structure. I actually like the most extended version the least as it feels too pat, although there's a nice scene near the end with Salt being held / recuperating, my favorite is the middle version (the regular director's cut). It also feels the most emotionally brutal of the three, based on how subplots resolve.

Also, while I love Jolie and the camera loves her -- I am always impressed at how PHYSICAL they can make her appear, and she does great stunt work -- the reality is that she has a pretty slight build and I just don't think she could be competitive in hand to hand with men who are 80 pounds heavier (most of it upper body muscle and bulk) than her. Typically women are going to need some kind of weapon that allows for quick incapacitation (versus trying to overcome bulk / brawling) and/or they need more bulk to compete, especially in work where people are trained. One of the better representations of this is recent cinema is Charlize Theron as Lorraine in "Atomic BLonde" -- Theron has a better build, she is really bulked for this film, and the film is realistic about what she needs to do -- she relies on blitz maneuvers, prop utilization, and other things to turn the tide against men who just have more upper body muscle than she could ever have. And the film also shows how badly battered she is, even after emerging victorious. LIke, she's pretty bruised and messed up by those fights. Salt does have some of that, but not enough, and Jolie is just so thin, frame-wise. THeron has a good 4" or more on her, and a slightly bigger frame (proportionally) and it matters.

my last annoyance is more of a cosmetic problem. They do really great with her female disguises, but there's a sequence where she pretends to be a man, and I'm sorry but she still looks like a woman pretending to be a man. It's not really her (although her voice is not convincing either), they just physically didn't pull off the disguise (the costume crew). I'm seen more convincing portrayals (for example, Jane/John Doe in "Predestination" or Lyndon in "DEVS"), so it can be done; this just wasn't a good one, and it mattered because she's passing a security checkpoint.

I haven't seen this, but I remember in the trailers a thick Russian accent saying "You are a Russian spy" which I love to quote.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Rewatched Galaxy Quest yesterday after some years, since my son finally saw it.

It's actually pretty good for what it is and plays nicely as a meta-film (kind of both a homage to Trek-style shows while also gently mocking their idiosyncrasies). It's also amusing, decently cast, and some of the cast appearing here become more widely known later. I think this was actually Justin Long's first film, for example. Sam Rockwell of course became more widely known and went on to win an Academy Award a few years ago. Rainn Wilson of course is one of the aliens (and Missi Pyle).

I remember laughing when watching Deadpool and recalling that the recruiter was one of the aliens from this film too.

There’s a good documentary about that movie from a couple of years ago. It stings though, because the entire original cast was on board with a sequel, it was in development, but then Rickman passed away, and how do you carry on without him? Even though it seems to parody TOS more than anything else, it has that great ensemble quality like TNG and it just can’t work without all of the original characters and actors.

I love the dryness and deadpan comedy style too. They could’ve gone super slapstick but then it would just feel like a Spaceballs ripoff. To me, it’s up there with the first Ghostbusters, just in the clever writing and nuanced performances and how there’s great chemistry between every single actor. In fact, IIRC, Ramis was originally attached to direct.

This is a movie where it’s hard to pick one favorite character or moment. All of the characters really carry it, although I suppose Rockwell and Shalhoub really make it for me. It’s also so quotable. I love Guy’s “did you watch the show?” and “is there air!?!? You don’t know!”, both of which I frequently quote whenever watching things like ST or Prometheus and Alien Covenant

Easily a permanent spot in my all time favorite movies list

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I’d like to see an unrated original cut with some of the cut curse words since it’s obviously aimed at a more adult audience, but I do think making it slightly more family friendly was probably the right call considering the franchises they were parodying

I do remember the part where Rockwell asks Shalhoub “are you high”, it’s kind of subtle and easy to miss but it says a lot. Also Shalhoub’s reaction to being transported to the ship is so great compared to the rest of the characters’ freakouts

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh yeah, Justin Long's mom was Susan, George's fiance, on Seinfeld. It might be the only other thing I have seen her in.

I just love how everyone thinks the crew is so knowledgeable but they don't know anything because they are just actors. And yet, because the aliens designed the ship from watching the TV show, they actually DO know everything they need in order to run and navigate the ship. And the stuff they don't, they get the geek fan base to tell them.

It is just beautifully set up, writing wise. It's all so perfect, rationally.

Ramis walked because he despised the casting of Allen as Nesmith Aka Taggart. Later once he saw the film, he recanted. I like Ramis (and the other dude that usually directs those films, Reitman), but here he might have been a bit off.

Anyway, considering how films like this go, it could have really sucked. (Admission: as a comparable thing, i hate much of Spaceballs. To me, its mel brooks in decline. About the only bit i like are a few throwaway jokes + the sketch where Dark Helmet is playing with this dolls.) But this film ends up working on so many levels.

I even cried once -

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh yeah, Justin Long's mom was Susan, George's fiance, on Seinfeld. It might be the only other thing I have seen her in.

I just love how everyone thinks the crew is so knowledgeable but they don't know anything because they are just actors. And yet, because the aliens designed the ship from watching the TV show, they actually DO know everything they need in order to run and navigate the ship. And the stuff they don't, they get the geek fan base to tell them.

It is just beautifully set up, writing wise. It's all so perfect, rationally.

Ramis walked because he despised the casting of Allen as Nesmith Aka Taggart. Later once he saw the film, he recanted. I like Ramis (and the other dude that usually directs those films, Reitman), but here he might have been a bit off.

Anyway, considering how films like this go, it could have really sucked. (Admission: as a comparable thing, i hate much of Spaceballs. To me, its mel brooks in decline. About the only bit i like are a few throwaway jokes + the sketch where Dark Helmet is playing with this dolls.) But this film ends up working on so many levels.

I even cried once -

I’ve never been all that crazy about spaceballs either. It’s mildly amusing.

Regarding the spoilered...The nods to Nimoy are so great. It’s like how he spent so much of his life distancing himself from Spock (I.e. the book I Am Not Spock) only to gradually realize the impact of the character and embrace it (I Am Spock)

And I’ve never been a big Tim Allen fan but he really channels the Shatner

Lark

There's a movie that I've been trying to search for but I'm having no luck, there's a prison guard in it who I think is played by Tim Robbins or who looks a lot like him, also I think there's an actor playing a prisoner who is also in Shawshank Redemption, I think, who is on death row.

The prison guard is a communist or something, at least he believes in rehabilitation, this prisoner is like the ultimate hood, he seems to be coming around but then kills or badly assaults this cruel prison guard, he tells the protagonist or one of his colleagues that he killed this cruel guard "for him" as he sees them as polar opposites, one believes in rehab, the other just thinks people are wicked and deserve all they get.

I remember this scene in which the guy gets his last meal and there's a jug of alcohol involved, I think but the guy breaks the pitcher and threatens to kill a guard or prisoner with a shard of this jug, the good guard gets him to give it up. Its depression era prison or earlier, like the prisoners all wear blue denims, the guards are all that dark navy blue uniforms and carry these long batons, its earlier, I think, than the Shawshank redemption era.

It was based on some book which had a long title like "true confessions of a something, something prisoner" or something like that but I dont think it was a TV or daytime film.

fatgurl

ARMY
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
There's a movie that I've been trying to search for but I'm having no luck, there's a prison guard in it who I think is played by Tim Robbins or who looks a lot like him, also I think there's an actor playing a prisoner who is also in Shawshank Redemption, I think, who is on death row.

The prison guard is a communist or something, at least he believes in rehabilitation, this prisoner is like the ultimate hood, he seems to be coming around but then kills or badly assaults this cruel prison guard, he tells the protagonist or one of his colleagues that he killed this cruel guard "for him" as he sees them as polar opposites, one believes in rehab, the other just thinks people are wicked and deserve all they get.

I remember this scene in which the guy gets his last meal and there's a jug of alcohol involved, I think but the guy breaks the pitcher and threatens to kill a guard or prisoner with a shard of this jug, the good guard gets him to give it up. Its depression era prison or earlier, like the prisoners all wear blue denims, the guards are all that dark navy blue uniforms and carry these long batons, its earlier, I think, than the Shawshank redemption era.

It was based on some book which had a long title like "true confessions of a something, something prisoner" or something like that but I dont think it was a TV or daytime film.

Is it Shot Caller?

fatgurl

ARMY
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
I've been wanting to watch this movie called The Road for years now. But I haven't been able to get around to it. It seems like one of those slow burn movies and I think it'll be boring.

Regardless, I'm currently watching it and it seems like something I'd like with the whole Dystopian thing going on.