• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Online "communities" tend to be toxic and infected in Nazi social Darwinism.

Indigo Rodent

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
1w9
It's fundamentally sickening to be in relation where the others don't care if one lives and dies and just treat one like nobody and just believe in survival of the fittest instead of solidarity. Yet it's a norm in online "communities". No matter if people share niche interests, community members are completely disposable.

ygolo

My termites win
It's not so much that people don't care so much as that people don't know enough to care.

On this forum, for instance, people care more about people who they interact more with.

Voice chat on discord makes a person feel more real.

People's private blogs reveal more about a person.

I've personally met up with people in real life, added people on other social media, and participated in projects together.

For there to be more of a feeling of community, there needs to be more communing.

Indigo Rodent

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
1w9
It's not so much that people don't care so much as that people don't know enough to care.

On this forum, for instance, people care more about people who they interact more with.

Voice chat on discord makes a person feel more real.

People's private blogs reveal more about a person.

I've personally met up with people in real life, added people on other social media, and participated in projects together.

For there to be more of a feeling of community, there needs to be more communing.
It's not about feelings. Everyone is leaving me to die. And it's generally a standard procedure. To leave community members to die. I will be dead soon, because people in my communities have decided I have to die for being disabled.

ygolo

My termites win
It's not about feelings. Everyone is leaving me to die. And it's generally a standard procedure. To leave community members to die. I will be dead soon, because people in my communities have decided I have to die for being disabled.
I hope you can find something, or a way to relocate, or something.

Kephalos

J.M.P.P. R.I.P. B5: RLOAI
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
It's fundamentally sickening to be in relation where the others don't care if one lives and dies and just treat one like nobody and just believe in survival of the fittest instead of solidarity. Yet it's a norm in online "communities". No matter if people share niche interests, community members are completely disposable.
This is really is a phenomenon (unfortunately): I remember a couple of years ago when I came across this video essay partially concerned with the use of and "infiltration" and takeover of online communities with niche interests by social-media savvy extreme-right groups/individuals. Here is the relevant section:

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I was going to rant about forum dynamics from 2015-2018 and how I think they enabled the corresponding period of far-right ascendancy on the forum (the mechanism I think is somewhat different from what is described above) but then I realized that nobody else cares about my old beefs with a bunch of people who aren't here anymore.

Last edited:

Burning Paradigm

Vibe Curator & Night Owl
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Partially from an online culture that values winning debates by outdoing others, even if it means using flawed arguments or overly technical reasoning, rather than focusing on the practical real-world outcomes for real people and communities *coughRedditcough*.

Trolling and arguing are fun, but the ethos should be about "punching up."

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was going to rant about forum dynamics from 2015-2018 and how I think they enabled the corresponding period of far-right ascendancy on the forum (the mechanism I think is somewhat different from what is described above) but then I realized that nobody else cares about my old beefs with a bunch of people who aren't here anymore.
I feel legitimately violated and used by a couple of those ex members.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
They might not be here anymore (well a couple still are) but their contribution to the overall damage can't be overstated. Individually, I think talking about it now is a good thing, especially since it's much easier to see what's ahead.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
They might not be here anymore (well a couple still are) but their contribution to the overall damage can't be overstated. Individually, I think talking about it now is a good thing, especially since it's much easier to see what's ahead.
My theory is actually lame and sucks, and will disappoint you even more than it disappoints me. The more I think about it I'm blaming the rise of the forum alt-right on a couple of people who are incidental and were in the end as flummoxed by the whole thing as anyone else.

There was a silence as these people came to dominate the forum; nobody said very much or pushed back against any of this. I was going to attribute the silence that enabled this to demoralization, which I think is accurate and the only good part of my theory.

But attributing the cause of the demoralization to two EJs who didn't like me is a stretch. They demoralized me, maybe, but the idea that they demoralized anyone else isn't convincing to me. There are other reasons why people would be demoralized which are much more likely, and have nothing to do with people on the forum.

The drama between me and the other two people is a convoluted affair (of which only my side can be told, at the moment). It doesn't help that that the three of us were struggling with the same shit, likely at the same exact time. There is no need to turn any of that into a shitty theory that clarifies nothing.

Last edited:

ygolo

My termites win
My theory is actually lame and sucks, and will disappoint you even more than it disappoints me. The more I think about it I'm blaming the rise of the forum alt-right on a couple of people who are incidental and were in the end as flummoxed by the whole thing as anyone else.

There was a silence as these people came to dominate the forum; nobody said very much or pushed back against any of this. I was going to attribute the silence that enabled this to demoralization, which I think is accurate and the only good part of my theory.

But attributing the cause of the demoralization to two EJs who didn't like me is a stretch. They demoralized me, maybe, but the idea that they demoralized anyone else isn't convincing to me. There are other reasons why people would be demoralized which are much more likely, and have nothing to do with people on the forum.

The drama between me and the other two people is a convoluted affair (of which only my side can be told, at the moment). It doesn't help that that the three of us were struggling with the same shit, likely at the same exact time. There is no need to turn any of that into a shitty theory that clarifies nothing.
I actually left the forum during this time. I felt that foruming just wasn't having the cathartic effect that it used to.

Interestingly, I feel 2015 to 2018 is exactly when this phenomenon was worst all over the internet. This phenomenon is still around, but I do feel like it has subsided.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I can't apologize enough for the role I played in this forum's slide into that toxicity. I know I backtracked and had a redemption of sorts, but that really doesn't excuse or undo my past comments and behavior, nor does it undo any of the damage. I cringe thinking about it, and am pretty ashamed of some of the people I allowed myself to be aligned with, some of the shit I reposted. I was in a bad place in my life, and some people took advantage of that and co-opted me. Again, no excuse, it's ultimately my fault and I can only take the blame fully. I can blame my past personal issues or my neurodivergence, but that feels like a copout. I screwed up in a bad way and really added to a toxic environment circa 2016 to 2018