• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ni and Ti

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
IDK
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Okay guys, I have a serious question:

Is Ni basically an Intuitive, illogical, gut version of Ti in a sense? I know both functions are analytical and require a decent amount of input from reality in order to run smoothly. And when I say illogical, I don't mean in the sense of not being logical, but I mean it in the sense of abstract surrealism and mystical in a sense. The sense of being omnipresent; correct a lot of the time, but not using a lot of logic, and still having the desired output (conclusion and planning wise).

Or am I wrong? Reading too many interpretations of people's opinions on the functions, and letting them dictate, despite being so far from the original works. This would greatly help me in my quest of determining Ti or Ni as my higher function, and clear up things in my mind.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
One distinction that comes to mind, and it's a big one- (it's my understanding that) Ti assigns 'correct' or 'incorrect' (or whatever qualifying valuation) according to a priori reasoning; whereas Ni relies more on a posteriori style reasoning.

There's an interesting question in there about exactly what separates Ni from Si- since Si would seem to be even more a posteriori than Ni, and Ni does delve into some abstraction/theory on its own- but I don't think it could be said that abstraction/theory is the same as Ti (or even introverted judgment).

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
IDK
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
One distinction that comes to mind, and it's a big one- (it's my understanding that) Ti assigns 'correct' or 'incorrect' (or whatever qualifying valuation) according to a priori reasoning; whereas Ni relies more on a posteriori style reasoning.

There's an interesting question in there about exactly what separates Ni from Si- since Si would seem to be even more a posteriori than Ni, and Ni does delve into some abstraction/theory on its own- but I don't think it could be said that abstraction/theory is the same as Ti (or even introverted judgment).

So, basically Ti is deduction/logical based, and Ni is pattern/outcome based in its simplest forms?

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
So, basically Ti is deduction/logical based, and Ni is pattern/outcome based in its simplest forms?

Pretty much yes. J functions in general are reason based, T uses logical reasoning, while F uses reasons based on like/dislike, hence they are rational. P functions on the other hand are not based on reason, but on perception. S perceives through sense organs, while N perceives through unconscious(which sees patterns and possibilities, including outcomes), or to be more exact perceive the outcome of the unconscious processes. Those unconscious processes may include information that is logically deduced, but with N the outcome is perceived, not consciously reasoned. Basically N can give same information that the J functions do, but there is no conscious/rational processing of the info.

windoverlake

MBTI Type
INFJ
On the ground reporting:

I've yet to see an INTP say anything foolish, whereas I know I can sound foolish at times, esp to INTPs. Eventually I'll fill in the blanks (with Ti) and continue the conversation with them later, at which point they're game to play, but that first leap of Ni will look and feel like raving lunacy; I know it, they know it. INTP's Ti silence and furrowed brow shuts me down. I've yet to meet an INTP who will take that blind leap without the path of logic visible ahead of them. Something I respect. All play and no work makes Ni-dom a moron.

Yes. I've also heard it said that Ti is deduction and Ni is induction.