• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Negative Parenting Test

Morpeko

Noble Wolf
MBTI Type
LEFV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
negative-parenting

Your strongest negative parenting pattern was Overprotection.

Saturnal Snowqueen

Solastalgia 𓍊𓋼𓍊𓋼𓍊
MBTI Type
FELV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
5efbcEg.jpg

Competitiveness: Parents who are very competitive and seek status often pressure their children to achieve, and they see situations as competition even if there is no explicit winner or loser. They do not celebrate their children’s improvements unless the children make the parents look good by being “special” or getting “first place.” Since such parents are often comparing their children to others, they easily get frustrated when their children do not outperform the majority, and they may unconsciously withhold love from the child because of their own need to be seen as special. Children of competitive parents may develop low self-worth, struggle with depression, become disengaged with their own feelings, feel guilty about not being good enough, or identify with the parents’ demands and attempt to present a grandiose façade.

I do relate to this yes, but rejection and deprivation especially hit home for me:

Rejection: Parents who degrade and reject their children often exhibit criticisms, insults, and dismissive behavior toward them. They often humiliate their children, threaten to banish them from the parental relation or the house, and say aloud that they wish their children had never been born. Since a child’s self-worth gets eroded by constant rejection, children of such parents are often plagued by self-doubt, despondency, fear, passivity, aimlessness, and similar concerns.

Deprivation: Parents who deprive their children of emotional affection create adults who, in turn, will also become emotionally disinhibited. Such people are often unable to seek out or ask for closeness in their own lives, have angry outbursts when their needs are not met, exhibit low stress tolerance, and tend toward unstable relationships in adulthood. Adults who were emotionally deprived by their parents are often unaware that they are even having problems with affection and closeness, and their partners often feel that they do not know “the real person” underneath the distant façade. Emotionally deprived individuals will, furthermore, tend to talk about what is being done or thought rather than what is being felt. Because of the hurt that they are carrying inside and their diminished capacity for emotional intimacy, children who grow up with emotionally distant parents tend to have failed relationships as adults – alternating between coldness and neediness, suffering from poor attachments to others, and having low self-esteem.

I expected some of them to be high, but not all of them that high. It's kinda hard, cause I feel like for example the competitive aspect was presented to me in an unhealthy way when I was younger and lived with my alcoholic mother, but when competition was presented to me in a healthier way with my dad and stepmom, I didn't know how to deal anymore, combine with being in a higher grade and depression at that time. Still don't know how to deal, really. But rejection and deprivation have lingered the most into my adult life. Wonder how linked these are to childhood wounds(like competitiveness 3, deprivation 5, rejection 9, punishing 1).

Indigo Rodent

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
1w9
Did for my father I got 60% on competitiveness. Weird that they didn't include financial abuse since it's quite common.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
1645311558779.png

My parents weren't necessarily similar. My mom was very accepting and had almost no will of her own; my dad was entirely self-centered and narcissistic, and also very demanding. Both of them though -- while not wanting me to act like I was "better" than others (they wouldn't even let me be in the Gifted program, because they didn't want me to be a snob) -- also never accepted failure and were extremely disappointed in and/or disapproving of me failing at anything. It was always because I didn't "try hard enough" or "didn't make an effort," even when I legitimately wasn't the top person in the activity.

This worked out okay when it ended up having them try to provide me with opportunities to use my gifts (music lessons, library trips, etc.) but it ended up being terrible when I failed or wasn't perfect with them something -- I wasn't supposedly living up to my potential -- or needed to feel understood. I always felt judged by them and we were not close in the least. (The alcoholism in my family didn't help either.)

It also made me unwilling to do things I wasn't good at and typically look for ways to succeed quickly, rather than doing the hard work and practice to get really good at things.

Deprivation: Parents who deprive their children of emotional affection create adults who, in turn, will also become emotionally disinhibited. Such people are often unable to seek out or ask for closeness in their own lives ... and tend toward unstable relationships in adulthood. ... Emotionally deprived individuals will, furthermore, tend to talk about what is being done or thought rather than what is being felt. Because of the hurt that they are carrying inside and their diminished capacity for emotional intimacy, children who grow up with emotionally distant parents tend to have failed relationships as adults – alternating between coldness and neediness, suffering from poor attachments to others, and having low self-esteem.

Last edited:

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I knew this was gonna be hilarious.
meme parenting.png

Yeah, my parents were garbage.