• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Nature Tale

Lark

If this is more appropriate to philosophy mods can move it but I am thinking about psychology when I ask the question.

What do you think is meant by the tale of the frog and the scorpion?

The scorpion asks the frog to cross the river on his back, the frog asks him to swear not to sting him.

They set out across the river with the scorpion on the frog's back and the scorpion stings him and he is poisoned.

The frog says "why did you do this? Now I will die and you will drown in the river" and the scorpion replies "what did you expect? It is my nature".

Is this simply about expecting animals to be animals or do you think it is an analogy about human nature/psychology? If it is an analogy what does it mean? That people possess deterministic natures/psychology/behavioural traits that they will or are compelled to conform to?