• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Lack of Emotions

Jellyfish1234

So I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, so if someone wants to move it to a more suitable place then please do haha.

I think I lack emotions compared to a lot of people. A lot of people seem to 'feel' things from music or paintings or stories, and I've noticed it's very rare that this happens to me, and when I do finally feel something, it's just like a shiver or brief wave over my body. In general I really struggle to identify feelings inside me, and I'm kind of worried there's something wrong with me. Does anyone else relate to this, or know what the cause of this could be? I should clarify that I definitely feel things like guilt or disappointment or anger or happiness in their extreme forms, it's just when it comes to the usual, I feel quite empty of feelings most of the time, and things like music don't trigger anything for me, and I feel like I'm missing a huge part of what it means to be human I suppose.

Thank you in advance for any responses!

Jellyfish1234

It's like a sleeping animal or something, and every now and then something (perhaps a song or event) will nudge it and make it kind of stir a little bit and make little waves or vibrations go through my body, and then it goes back to sleep again. And a lot of the time I'm unable to identify what these little waves of feelings are, but in their extreme forms I'm able to.

I hope that makes any sense.

HisKittyKat

MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
4w5
From a rational perspective everything doesn't need a reaction or expression. I tend to believe that people who are highly Intellectual and rational don't fixate on moment to moment, day to day emotional expressions. You mentioned you excel on a few of the important basics, not expressing or paying attention to feelings and emotions of others doesn't define you as a whole.

What do you mean by usual ? Feeling empty on the inside is a sign of despair , I think ( if you're speaking in terms of sadness ).......as an Fi user I can sometimes feel empty also. I have to check in with my emotions to know how I'm feeling, for me it feels more like - unless I ask myself how I'm feeling I wouldn't check in ever. Triggering is huge for me, I need to feel triggered emotionally in order to run far and deep internally to sort out the mess and impact it can create, this is the only way I can tell exactly what is going on emotionally. It feels weird for me to talk about feelings, IDK why can't we just feel things and let it go unsaid, shouldn't we save our emotions for something worthy and worthwhile feeling ? I have a hard time understanding the concept of analyzing emotions of others in basic or simply conversations, I'm not saying I can't, I'm saying the concept as a whole doesn't seem necessary. I feel annoyed when others try to analyze my emotions, so I in return do as I want done.

It sounds to me like you are not triggered by past experiences, it doesn't necessarily mean you don't feel emotional, it could mean nothing noteworthy has happened to trigger yourself into reacting on how others are feeling. I see this a lot in XNTJs and Fi users, and those with high IQ/ EQ.

-Outsider-

Milkwalker
My two cents: It's only a problem if it bothers you. If it bothers you, see a therapist of some sort and figure out what the issue is. If it doesn't bother you, then just carry on with your life.

Littleclaypot

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Hey.
You're probably not alone in how you feel.. some people are just easily moved, and others aren't. I agree with Outside, though. If you feel really bothered by it then you can always talk to someone about it. But maybe this is just how you are? May I ask how old you are?

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
my experiences with "rare" emotional responses was tied to depression... most of my emotions are still a bit blunted, but it simply makes it easier to think clearly...

i also think it is a problem if it bothers you, though i would add it is a problem if it causes you to treat others in a callous manner... i add that second caveat because it is hard to transition into feeling if your prior state left you isolated...

Jellyfish1234

From a rational perspective everything doesn't need a reaction or expression. I tend to believe that people who are highly Intellectual and rational don't fixate on moment to moment, day to day emotional expressions. You mentioned you excel on a few of the important basics, not expressing or paying attention to feelings and emotions of others doesn't define you as a whole.

What do you mean by usual ? Feeling empty on the inside is a sign of despair , I think ( if you're speaking in terms of sadness ).......as an Fi user I can sometimes feel empty also. I have to check in with my emotions to know how I'm feeling, for me it feels more like - unless I ask myself how I'm feeling I wouldn't check in ever. Triggering is huge for me, I need to feel triggered emotionally in order to run far and deep internally to sort out the mess and impact it can create, this is the only way I can tell exactly what is going on emotionally. It feels weird for me to talk about feelings, IDK why can't we just feel things and let it go unsaid, shouldn't we save our emotions for something worthy and worthwhile feeling ? I have a hard time understanding the concept of analyzing emotions of others in basic or simply conversations, I'm not saying I can't, I'm saying the concept as a whole doesn't seem necessary. I feel annoyed when others try to analyze my emotions, so I in return do as I want done.

It sounds to me like you are not triggered by past experiences, it doesn't necessarily mean you don't feel emotional, it could mean nothing noteworthy has happened to trigger yourself into reacting on how others are feeling. I see this a lot in XNTJs and Fi users, and those with high IQ/ EQ.

Thank you for the response. I wouldn't say it's about how others are feeling - actually I think I'm pretty well attuned to how others are feeling, it's more about things like, having emotional reactions from music or books or events that take place. But yeah, I guess your point about nothing triggering me to feel a certain way still stands - maybe I just don't have any experiences or anything that relate to those things that trigger an emotion in me? Is that how it works for most people? And when I said I feel quite empty of feelings, I don't think I'm sad, just kind of removed, if that makes sense? In terms of myself anyway. When you add other people into the scene I am suddenly doing a balancing act, juggling what I perceive to be the feelings' and moods of the people around me and bouncing off of them. But in isolation, listening to some music or playing a video game, it's rare I feel emotional. I do sometimes, but it's rare.

And by usual I mean, I feel like 90% of the time I'm in a kind of 'neutral state' - no feelings, or at least, if they're there, they're just small bits like sand in the wind so I can't really notice them. But then every now and then something will happen that will make me shiver a little, like I'll go a bit hot or cold, and I'll think to myself, wow, I think I just felt something...I think I felt...<insert what emotion I think it was>.

My two cents: It's only a problem if it bothers you. If it bothers you, see a therapist of some sort and figure out what the issue is. If it doesn't bother you, then just carry on with your life.

Thanks for that - to be honest I'm not really sure if it bothers me. I sometimes just feel a bit left out when friends are like "man this song makes me feel so much" or "this memory makes me feel like this", and I feel like I'm missing out on something great. But I think I still function fine and have empathy and I definitely do have emotions, they just seem to be quite difficult to come out, and when they do, it's like a thin wind rather than a racing river of emotion.

Hey.
You're probably not alone in how you feel.. some people are just easily moved, and others aren't. I agree with Outside, though. If you feel really bothered by it then you can always talk to someone about it. But maybe this is just how you are? May I ask how old you are?

Hey, thank you for your response, it made me feel better haha. I'm 18 (19 this month) years old. Maybe you're right, maybe this is just how I am. It doesn't cause me any issues, I feel things when it comes to others so I don't act rudely or coldly at all, it's just a little thing I've been a bit concerned about recently.

my experiences with "rare" emotional responses was tied to depression... most of my emotions are still a bit blunted, but it simply makes it easier to think clearly...

i also think it is a problem if it bothers you, though i would add it is a problem if it causes you to treat others in a callous manner... i add that second caveat because it is hard to transition into feeling if your prior state left you isolated...

I've actually considered that maybe I have depression for a couple of years now, but I really don't know if I do or not. I don't feel sad or down or in pain, but it is quite difficult to excite me or make me want to go out and do something, or feel something. I do feel things, I feel love and guilt and pain and excitement, it's just I don't think I feel as much as the people around me do if that makes sense, and a lot of my feelings don't really feel 'deep' like my friends will sometimes describe, they just feel like thin, one-level waves that make images come into my mind. So I don't think I necessarily have an issue with emotions myself, it's just in comparison to others, maybe I do?

I probably need to research Depression more haha. And no, I've never had any issues with treating people in a callous manner, I'm quite warm on the outside, I just worry I'm missing something on the inside.

Huge thank you to everyone who took the time to respond, I didn't expect this many responses at all, thank you so much for all your support!

Jellyfish1234

I should also clarify that I'm not incapable of feeling emotions that I consider to be quite deep and have a big impact on me - I have felt what I consider to be deep love or sadness for example.

Jellyfish1234

I'll have a think about whether or not this bothers me enough to speak to someone about it. Thank you very much everyone!

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What I am getting from this is you're mainly not moved by works of art, as well as stories. Is this correct?
You have emotional responses in relation to your own life events and they can be deep and strong, but you may not have many everyday emotional responses...

You also don't feel particularly motivated by emotion. What does motivate you?

This concerns you not because of your own experience - you want to feel what people feel when they are moved by art forms. After all, that does mostly affect you.

You mention that you feel empathy - how would you describe your ability to empathize? Do you see a line between other people's experiences and "stories" that fail to touch you? Where is that line? A matter of fiction/fact or how close you are to someone, etc?

Jellyfish1234

What I am getting from this is you're mainly not moved by works of art, as well as stories. Is this correct?

Yes, in general.

You have emotional responses in relation to your own life events and they can be deep and strong, but you may not have many everyday emotional responses...

You also don't feel particularly motivated by emotion. What does motivate you?

Yes.

I think I can be motivated by emotion for sure, when I'm feeling it. But I think most of the time I'm motivated by a sense of what I believe to be 'right', and what I see getting me the best path for my future, or what I see to be most beneficial for others (which ties into the 'what I believe to be right' I suppose). And if I'm inspired by something, I'll be motivated by that too. I just struggle to get excited and motivated about going out and doing things in life, because not a lot interests me, and things that do interest me also tend to come with anxiety about going out and doing them.

This concerns you not because of your own experience - you want to feel what people feel when they are moved by art forms. After all, that does mostly affect you.

You mention that you feel empathy - how would you describe your ability to empathize? Do you see a line between other people's experiences and "stories" that fail to touch you? Where is that line? A matter of fiction/fact or how close you are to someone, etc?

Yes!

I'd descibe my ability to empathize as an ability to both understand why and how someone is feeling (as long as I have enough information, whether it be facial expression, body language or factual based information about their circumstances) and also an ability to be effected by emotions of others and feel them myself - for example, if someone in the room turns angry, I feel their anger hit me sometimes. But there are a lot of times where someone will tell a story or I'll witness something and whilst I'll be sympathetic towards them, and probably ponder on the philosophical questions that emit from the situation, I just won't feel upset, even if other people who experienced the same thing are crying their eyes out. I'm not really sure where the line is to be honest - the only time I can think of crying about a story that effected me is a TV show though so maybe that means something. I think in general, when it comes to people, I do fine in being effected by their emotions - but it's just me feeling what they're probably feeling, as opposed to myself getting this deep well of emotion after being effected by something, which I see others describe. And even though I might feel how they're probably feeling, I still remain quite distanced from it, if that makes sense. Distanced enough so that rather than focusing on the emotional side of things, I'll think about it from a distanced perspective, as if I was an alien drawing conclusions about life on planet Earth.

Thank you for the response.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=28184]Jellyfish1234[/MENTION]

A fair amount of what you say is familiar to me, except I am easily moved by art and feel emotions frequently and deeply, but not in the way other people do. The things that may make others cry, the things they get excited about, the things which elicit reactions from them - it may not move me at all. I may often process empathy more intellectually rather than feel emotions, but it still may move me as far as action. I've been called cold because of these "non reactions", but internally I feel anything but that. I can't always explain how or why other things move me deeply and I feel things quite intensely. What stirs others but fails to stir me will be glossed over in favor of something others may not even notice, so that I will say I am actually very sensitive.

Anyway, I just mention that for comparison to illustrate that I don't think it's necessarily some deficiency as perhaps a different way of experiencing things. It may also be a matter of not having found what does it for you. Probably being a Fi type, I developed a sense of personal taste very early in life and am highly aware of what affects me and what doesn't. Not everyone starts off that way, and it may be something you have to cultivate. I've had to cultivate, say, being more in my body; I can enjoy physical activity a lot more now.

The only other thing that stands out is you mention some anxiety blocking you at times. If you do have mild depression and anxiety, then it could be affecting your ability to really enjoy things. Others have already mentioned that, but it's really the only thing that sounds like a potential "problem".

Jellyfish1234

[MENTION=28184]Jellyfish1234[/MENTION]

A fair amount of what you say is familiar to me, except I am easily moved by art and feel emotions frequently and deeply, but not in the way other people do. The things that may make others cry, the things they get excited about, the things which elicit reactions from them - it may not move me at all. I may often process empathy more intellectually rather than feel emotions, but it still may move me as far as action. I've been called cold because of these "non reactions", but internally I feel anything but that. I can't always explain how or why other things move me deeply and I feel things quite intensely. What stirs others but fails to stir me will be glossed over in favor of something others may not even notice, so that I will say I am actually very sensitive.

Anyway, I just mention that for comparison to illustrate that I don't think it's necessarily some deficiency as perhaps a different way of experiencing things. It may also be a matter of not having found what does it for you. Probably being a Fi type, I developed a sense of personal taste very early in life and am highly aware of what affects me and what doesn't. Not everyone starts off that way, and it may be something you have to cultivate. I've had to cultivate, say, being more in my body; I can enjoy physical activity a lot more now.

The only other thing that stands out is you mention some anxiety blocking you at times. If you do have mild depression and anxiety, then it could be affecting your ability to really enjoy things. Others have already mentioned that, but it's really the only thing that sounds like a potential "problem".

Thank you very much for taking the time to help - your experience is very interesting and reminds me of a friend of mine who experiences something similar (I think). Anyway, thanks for the support and reassurance!

Jellyfish1234

I really really appreciate everyone who takes the time to write things to help me out by the way - I feel like I'm not expressing thanks enough haha, so: thank you.

-Outsider-

Milkwalker
I really really appreciate everyone who takes the time to write things to help me out by the way - I feel like I'm not expressing thanks enough haha, so: thank you.

Aw, you're sweet. :)

Bottom line is...see a therapist or don't. Whatever you think would be best for you!

And on the missing out bit, I actually do know what you mean, but in other ways (hence my username). Not that that is particularly helpful to you, but just thought I'd say that you're not alone in feeling left out from society.