• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Jung's System Is Flawed - Rip My Theory To Shreds Please

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
As much as I am used to seeing Reckful do his standard attack on JCF, it still strikes me as odd.

Why make such a big deal out of people using a different system than the way one person understands it? The repeated effort to attack JCF (but not socionics) seems unnecessary.

JCF and MBTI typology is not limited to Jung's original ideas. His writings and musings are not Holy Writ that controls all of typology for now until the end of time.

Instead, it is a starting point. Nothing more. His works do not control typology any more than than Newton's works control physics.

And it is great that Myers and Myers-Briggs built upon it and fleshed out something Jung moved on from to explore things that intrigued him more. And socionics people did their thing.

And it is nice that the MBTI is consistent and that those with certain traits score in a certain pattern, but that it not the end all be all of the subject. They make millions on their tests and don't need to rock the boat.

So, just because the Official MBTI doesn't follow through with JCF does not mean that their data does not confirm its existence. Again, as previously mentioned, Quenk has all their data, wrote for them for years, and published a JCF book.

There is no church of typology and no one is a heretic for pushing JCF. They are just building on as they and many others see typology.

If one disagrees with it, great. I don't really do much socionics for various reasons, but I don't go harping on it every time it comes up. For some people it makes great sense and it greatly helps their self awareness. It does not for me, but that is likely a failing on my part more than a fundamental flaw in that system.

Personally, JCF makes sense in both myself and how I observe people. I also see how the combination of functions alters them.

And I furthermore see not only utility but also validity in shadow functions.

And I can see how these play out in people regularly. JCF works with MBTI very well and the much attacked stack fits most people better than they admit.

Typology is a journey in self discovery and understanding others. Everyone should use what works best for themselves. If straight MBTI works best, happy days.

But I have found that many people are mistyped. They are bound by perconceived notions and ego constructs. They test a certain way because they are blind to how they really act and think. JCF seems to really help those like that. Quenk's work is really good on that, but there are others as well.

Everyone is free to go along being mistyped just because the MBTI result came in a certain way. Been there done that. It sucked.

And everyone is free to follow their own form of typology. It isn't a religion of typology with only one allowed set of beliefs, after all. No one gets burned at the stake for supporting or rejecting JCF.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
As much as I am used to seeing Reckful do his standard attack on JCF, it still strikes me as odd.

Why make such a big deal out of people using a different system than the way one person understands it? The repeated effort to attack JCF (but not socionics) seems unnecessary.

JCF and MBTI typology is not limited to Jung's original ideas. His writings and musings are not Holy Writ that controls all of typology for now until the end of time.

Instead, it is a starting point. Nothing more. His works do not control typology any more than than Newton's works control physics.

And it is great that Myers and Myers-Briggs built upon it and fleshed out something Jung moved on from to explore things that intrigued him more. And socionics people did their thing.

And it is nice that the MBTI is consistent and that those with certain traits score in a certain pattern, but that it not the end all be all of the subject. They make millions on their tests and don't need to rock the boat.

So, just because the Official MBTI doesn't follow through with JCF does not mean that their data does not confirm its existence. Again, as previously mentioned, Quenk has all their data, wrote for them for years, and published a JCF book.

There is no church of typology and no one is a heretic for pushing JCF. They are just building on as they and many others see typology.

If one disagrees with it, great. I don't really do much socionics for various reasons, but I don't go harping on it every time it comes up. For some people it makes great sense and it greatly helps their self awareness. It does not for me, but that is likely a failing on my part more than a fundamental flaw in that system.

Personally, JCF makes sense in both myself and how I observe people. I also see how the combination of functions alters them.

And I can see how these play out in people regularly. JCF works with MBTI very well and the much attacked stack fits most people better than they admit.

Typology is a journey in self discovery and understanding others. Everyone should use what works best for themselves. If straight MBTI works best, happy days.

But I have found that many people are mistyped. They are bound by perconceived notions and ego constructs. They test a certain way because they are blind to how they really act and think. JCF seems to really help those like that. Quenk's work is really good on that, but there are others as well.

Everyone is free to go along being mistyped just because the MBTI result came in a certain way. Been there done that. It sucked.

And everyone is free to follow their own form of typology. It isn't a religion of typology with only one allowed set of beliefs, after all. No one gets burned at the stake for supporting or rejecting JCF.

Wow, that's for sure. They don't literally get tied to a tree and burned alive. True enough.

However, if you were me, coming to this forum for the first time, and not speaking the same lingo as everybody else here, you would get burned but in a different sense of the term.

Urban Dictionary: Burned

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
As a reminder, I don't believe in the cognitive functions or type dynamics, so in talking about "Te" or "Se," I don't think we're talking about things that deserve to be viewed as real components of the psyche, one of which is a "judging function" and one of which is a "perceiving function."

But if it's Jung's perspective you're talking about, then come on, fella. Read Jung's description of a Te-dom, and then read Jung's descriptions of Se and Si. If a Te-dom with an S preference is going to have one of those two S functions as their auxiliary, which one (Se or Si) sounds like it would be more compatible with Te?

To Jung, the extraverted attitude and introverted attitude were 83.47% of the show. (I'm approximating.) Much of what made Te Te were the aspects of Te that came from its extraverted, outwardly-directed focus on the real world. By contrast, Jung characterized Si as so dominated by an introverted focus on primordial archetypes, etc. that Si-doms had "an illusory conception of reality," and the relation between the actual physical world and an Si-dom's perception of it was "unpredictable and arbitrary."

So... as Jung portrayed the functions, the realistic and outwardly-directed aspects (i.e., the extraverted aspects) of Se made it significantly more consistent/compatible with Te, which is why it should be no surprise that Meier — Jung's longtime assistant and the first president of the Jung Institute in Zürich — explained ("interpreting Jung") that "cooperation" between Te and Se would tend to be "easier" than cooperation between Te and Si.

Yes, that's what I read in the PDF. That's why I asked the forum given Meier's interpretation. As for asking me to read Jung, I'm referring to your quote that states the inferior feeling function seduces extroverted thinkers to peculiar aberrations which are the result of Fi's unconscious opposition to conscious goals. There is function merger here, or else you're talking about a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde split personality.

In Jung's explanation, it is necessary for the extroverted thinker to allow *some* Fi through in order to avoid the self-defeating results occurring from its complete repression as a function. But the result of the conflict between a want and a need would typically be some form of hysterical paralysis involving a neurosis so profound that the extroverted thinker can no longer physically function. The rational, practical planner can still plan all he wants, but he can no longer act on his plans. This is because, in a deeply recessed part of his soul, some remnant of humanity is begging for expression, and expresses its helplessness as a function by rendering the extroverted thinker physically helpless. Because in all forms of human activity there is a synthesis of functions acting in conjunction. The more unhealthy the activity, the more you will find function conflict. And in the long run, the repressed function will win via some sort of unexpected, unintended consequence because its energy requires expression.

The problem with type dynamics is that it is dogmatically forced a priori. It would be more intellectually sound to begin with the psychology concepts we know and to analyze them functionally. A successful application of functions expressed healthily will bring us more energy. It is simply more difficult to do so with functions which are opposite in every way. TeSe, with Te in the lead, brings joy to our labors. When they are operating in conjunction, we don't want to stop working because the work is pleasant psychologically, even if not physically, and brings a sense of reward without the necessity of any material gain. Work and play are practically synonymous expressions when Te and Se are in conjunction, although the goal of work is to produce something so Te is the leading function.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This short story can serve to pose an analytical problem of opposite function interdependence.
The Man of the Crowd
In the story we are presented with a man who is usually depressed, but suddenly finds himself, while sitting in a cafe, delighted by the sight of humans of various stripes passing by the door of the cafe. While we may not know why, we can at least discuss this in functional terms which will result in at least the semblance of a reason. The sight of a mysterious stranger draws in the main character to investigate, but the source of the mystery is never untangled.

reckful

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Why make such a big deal out of people using a different system than the way one person understands it?

I'm not sure what you mean by "the way one person understands it," but the issue isn't treating any particular person — Jung, Myers, or whoever — as a sacred authority. That's not how science works.

And personality psychology is a science, albeit a soft science. And the soft sciences, by their very nature, are subject to standards that are generally not as strict as those that can appropriately be imposed in the harder sciences, but are still a long way from anything goes.

As I've noted many times before, the notion that an INFJ has "tertiary Ti," and will therefore tend (probabilistically speaking) to have "Ti" aspects of personality in common with a typical ISTP that ISTJs tend not to exhibit, is a typological assertion that — like all assertions that crosscut the dichotomies in that counterintuitive way — has no more validity than the notion that two people born at around the same time will tend to have aspects of personality in common because they're both Capricorns.

Lots of people take zodiac-based typings seriously, as you probably know, and they're free to believe in them if they want to, but do you really think there's something wrong with people like me pointing out to those people that the soft-scientific standards and methods used in the respectable districts of personality psychology mean that typologies that have established their validity can make a claim to correspond with something real in a way that zodiac-based typologies can't?

And if you're OK with me preaching to someone that the Real MBTI Model is scientifically valid in a way that the zodiac is not, but you object to me preaching to someone that the idea of an INFP's "tertiary Si" is in the same disreputable category as the zodiac, I can only assume that you think that the idea of an INFP's "tertiary Si" is in a more respectable category than the zodiac. And if that's what you think, then I'm sorry, but you're wrong.

And you might say, well, OK, maybe nobody's been able to establish the validity of an INFP's "tertiary Si" yet, but that doesn't mean it's impossible that somebody might establish its validity at some point in the future. And if you say that, you're right, but you're no more right to say that than a believer in the zodiac would be to say the same thing about the "Capricorn" personality traits.

And you should also understand that they've been correlating MBTI types with a vast array of personality-related things for over 50 years now, so the correlational patterns predicted by the HaroldGrantian stack (and its "function axes") have had approximately a zillion and a half chances to show up, assuming they're for real. And they haven't shown up.

And the last thing for you to understand, if you're looking to understand why I'm so passionate about making the MBTI forum rounds and calling out the HaroldGrantians, and am not the least bit motivated to make the rounds of zodiac forums and tell those people they're being silly, is that I think the respectable parts of the MBTI add up to a body of personality wisdom that can greatly benefit people who learn about it — both in terms of self-understanding and in terms of understanding others.

And that's the reason I'm so motivated to try to make sure people understand what the Real MBTI Model is about, and what it says about people, and what it doesn't say about people.

Here's the framing that will help someone understand how the real underlying personality dimensions that the MBTI is tapping into play out:

INFJ = I + N + F + J + IN + IF + IJ + NF + NJ + FJ + INF + INJ + IFJ + NFJ + INFJ.

And here's a framing that, by contrast, will greatly hinder somebody who wants to understand how MBTI type really works:

INFJ = Ni + Fe + Ti + Se

Hinder how? In multiple ways. First off, as already mentioned, the notion that an INFJ has "tertiary Ti," and will therefore tend (probabilistically speaking) to have "Ti" aspects of personality in common with a typical ISTP that ISTJs tend not to exhibit, is a typological assertion that is properly characterized as a steaming pile of horseshit — judged by the validity standards applicable in the personality psychology field. And ditto for the assertion that the INFJ's "inferior Se" means they'll tend to have things in common with ISTPs that ISTJs tend not to exhibit.

But just as bad as (if not worse than) the crap that's wrongly included in the standard functions model is the stuff that that framing tends to miss or shortchange — e.g., the aspects of personality that NFs tend to have in common, and INs tend to have in common, and so on.

For someone who understands what's respectably real about the MBTI and what isn't, and who wishes everyone could have the benefit of understanding what the types tend to be like, it can be infuriating to read a typical MBTI forum type-me thread and find the OP agonizing about what a hard time she's having figuring out her type, and how confused she is by X, Y or Z aspect of the functions, and then to stalk her posts a bit and discover that her preferences are actually reasonably strong and clear if you focus on the dichotomies. And what's more, you'll often find such an OP more or less acknowledging that yeah, I'm an INFJ (or whatever) "if I go by the dichotomies" — but she's agonizing and confused because she's been led to believe that pssh, the HaroldGrantian stack is what your type is really about, and you can really only understand what your type is if you forget about those silly/superficial dichotomies and learn about the functions, and figure out whether you're an "Fi/Te type" or an "Fe/Ti type," and whether you're an "Ni/Se type" or an "Ne/Si type," and so on.

In scenarios like that — and that's an incredibly common scenario, as you must know — the HaroldGrantian nonsense is not fairly or accurately viewed as some kind of supplemental set of possible insights that add to the respectable/real MBTI. Instead, and to an often dramatic degree, the HaroldGrantian nonsense ends up being a steaming heap of horseshit under which much of the truth and potential richness of the real MBTI gets buried.

And it makes me angry, and it should make me angry, and I'm sorry if it doesn't make you angry, but maybe if you give it some more thought, you'll at least come to a better understanding of why it might reasonably make somebody else angry.

Searching For Peace is all well and good if you're an ENFJ, but if you're an INTJ, there are times when Searching For Truth finds it necessary to boot Searching For Peace off the bus. :alttongue:

Last edited:

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm not sure what you mean by "the way one person understands it," but the issue isn't treating any particular person — Jung, Myers, or whoever — as a sacred authority. That's not how science works.

And it makes me angry, and it should make me angry, and I'm sorry if it doesn't make you angry, but maybe if you give it some more thought, you'll at least come to a better understanding of why it might reasonably make somebody else angry.

SearchingForPeace is all well and good if you're an ENFJ, but if you're an INTJ, there are times when SearchingForTruth finds it necessary to boot SearchingForPeace off the bus. :alttongue:

Nice diatribe. I rarely have found someone using more words to say less.

Sorry that you are so angry. Pretty awful to be so full of anger.

Truly your response was worthy of the Inquisition and just as about as reasoned.

The narrowness of vision is cringe worthy to say the least.

The profound worship of a single typolographic tool and the ignoring of any deviation from your understanding is nothing short of astonishing.

It is a one trick pony that you have ridden again and again.

The so-called Real MBTI you preach is merely the Official MBTI, a commercial product flooded onto the world.

The typical person, who may or may not be self-aware enough to answer the questions correctly about themselves, gets a result and then tries to fit themselves into the description.

Maybe they see themselves as socially awkward or emotional or organized or thoughtful or empirical and answer questions in such a manner. Except, like many people, they answer as the way they think they are or would like to be, and so get it wrong.

And by getting it wrong, they mess up their life trying to conform to their official MBTI type. "Oh, I am a ISTP and should live life like Dirty Harry" or "Oh, I am a INFP and should be airy and sensitive" or "I am a ESTJ and should be the boss and efficient and to hell with my feelings or anyone else's feelings". Talk about a easy way to screw someone up.

So it feels off. Or they have tested 5 different results. And they are confused. We get all that a lot. And if someone is more confused about themselves after taking an official MBTI test than before they took it, it is a flawed tool.

The goal should be to help people understand themselves and others. Using whatever tools are available. We are not talking about black holes and the origin of the universe here, but people, after all.

The only thing the official MBTI can scientifically validate is that those answering the questions in a similar manner tend to have similar personality traits. And that mere point is not enough to foreclose taking the field further and expanding it.

Repeatedly throwing up straw man arguments and ignoring anything but your narrow interpretation of typology isn't really helpful. It sure will not gain you adherents to your sect of typology.

So, if the "Real MBTI" floats your boat, great.

But for many of us here, it is a mere starting point. If that makes us heretics in the view of the Reckful sect of Real MBTI, oh well. We didn't want to join your cult anyway.

Many of us are interested in many different forms of typology and psychology and self-improvement here, not merely "Real MBTI according to Reckful". Typology is much broader and deeper than that corporate sorting tool.

And, about those official MBTI stuff: Quenk wrote for the Official MBTI for years including the Manuals you often cite. She used the vast pool of accumulated data of the Official MBTI to put together her book, Was That Really Me? She wanted to answer the question of why someone who tests one way appears very different years later or under stress. And, at least in that book, appears to be a full-on JCF supporter. Her book is extremely useful for most.

Lots of researchers and theorists have taken the ideas of the MBTI and taken the basics further. Some are better than others, but everyone can judge it for themselves. Everyone can decide what is useful to them personally.

It seems as though you only pop on here to preach your Real MBTI. Repeating yourself over and over again and citing previous posts of yours doesn't seem to have been very effective to stomping out the JCF heresy.

So, I really do hope you can deal with your anger issue......

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=25377]SearchingforPeace[/MENTION]

Here's a shorter summary: there's no empirical evidence for Type Dynamics despite people looking for it for decades. There is lots of evidence that the preferences are continuous traits, and that their effect is stronger when the preference is stronger. There's also lots of evidence that the preferences correlated with all kinds of interesting things, so they are meaningful and descriptive of the real world.

Therefore, doing things like typing by the tertiary/inferior is going to mislead people. Also typing by which is stronger between dom/aux is also going to be misleading, since there's no evidence that INFJs, for example, actually favor intuition over feeling.

Type Dynamics and function theory also artificially constrain things to the functions, when actually ANY preference combination may be meaningful and descriptive (look at "NF" and "NT", for example). Hence, Type Dynamics both mislead people and constraint their thinking in ways that can be frustrating to watch repeatedly.

As far as the MBTI itself: the MBTI is a well researched and carefully tuned, but it is not the only instrument that gets at those preferences (see Singer-Loomis, Majors PTI, etc).

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Truly your response was worthy of the Inquisition and just as about as reasoned.

The profound worship of a single typolographic tool and the ignoring of any deviation from your understanding is nothing short of astonishing.

The so-called Real MBTI you preach is merely the Official MBTI, a commercial product flooded onto the world.

The typical person, who may or may not be self-aware enough to answer the questions correctly about themselves, gets a result and then tries to fit themselves into the description.

Maybe they see themselves as socially awkward or emotional or organized or thoughtful or empirical and answer questions in such a manner. Except, like many people, they answer as the way they think they are or would like to be, and so get it wrong.

And by getting it wrong, they mess up their life trying to conform to their official MBTI type. "Oh, I am a ISTP and should live life like Dirty Harry" or "Oh, I am a INFP and should be airy and sensitive" or "I am a ESTJ and should be the boss and efficient and to hell with my feelings or anyone else's feelings". Talk about a easy way to screw someone up.

So it feels off. Or they have tested 5 different results. And they are confused. We get all that a lot. And if someone is more confused about themselves after taking an official MBTI test than before they took it, it is a flawed tool.

The goal should be to help people understand themselves and others. Using whatever tools are available. We are not talking about black holes and the origin of the universe here, but people, after all.

The only thing the official MBTI can scientifically validate is that those answering the questions in a similar manner tend to have similar personality traits. And that mere point is not enough to foreclose taking the field further and expanding it.

Repeatedly throwing up straw man arguments and ignoring anything but your narrow interpretation of typology isn't really helpful. It sure will not gain you adherents to your sect of typology.

But for many of us here, it is a mere starting point. If that makes us heretics in the view of the Reckful sect of Real MBTI, oh well. We didn't want to join your cult anyway.

Many of us are interested in many different forms of typology and psychology and self-improvement here, not merely "Real MBTI according to Reckful". Typology is much broader and deeper than that corporate sorting tool.

And, about those official MBTI stuff: Quenk wrote for the Official MBTI for years including the Manuals you often cite. She used the vast pool of accumulated data of the Official MBTI to put together her book, Was That Really Me? She wanted to answer the question of why someone who tests one way appears very different years later or under stress. And, at least in that book, appears to be a full-on JCF supporter. Her book is extremely useful for most.

Lots of researchers and theorists have taken the ideas of the MBTI and taken the basics further. Some are better than others, but everyone can judge it for themselves. Everyone can decide what is useful to them personally.

It seems as though you only pop on here to preach your Real MBTI. Repeating yourself over and over again and citing previous posts of yours doesn't seem to have been very effective to stomping out the JCF heresy.

I don't read any anger in his posts, nor do they seem poorly reasoned.

And the only reason his posts aren't 'effective' in stamping out 'JCF heresy' is that people on the forum LIKE to use functions as shorthand names for patterns. So I am in agreement with him that Ne is in reality a label/convenient shorthand name for a pattern attributed to NP temperament, in contrast with Ni for the N+J temperament, in contrast with Si for SJ, and so on. But there's nothing empirical about function stackings/orders for a given type. [MENTION=8074]Seymour[/MENTION] is extremely well versed too in the data behind all of it.

While I can appreciate that people might relate strongly to what is described in function theory and tie it into their own lives, there are an equal number of people who do not. Both can be seen on the forum.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=25377]SearchingforPeace[/MENTION]

Here's a shorter summary: there's no empirical evidence for Type Dynamics despite people looking for it for decades. There is lots of evidence that the preferences are continuous traits, and that their effect is stronger when the preference is stronger. There's also lots of evidence that the preferences correlated with all kinds of interesting things, so they are meaningful and descriptive of the real world.

Therefore, doing things like typing by the tertiary/inferior is going to mislead people. Also typing by which is stronger between dom/aux is also going to be misleading, since there's no evidence that INFJs, for example, actually favor intuition over feeling.

Type Dynamics and function theory also artificially constrain things to the functions, when actually ANY preference combination may be meaningful and descriptive (look at "NF" and "NT", for example). Hence, Type Dynamics both mislead people and constraint their thinking in ways that can be frustrating to watch repeatedly.

As far as the MBTI itself: the MBTI is a well researched and carefully tuned, but it is not the only instrument that gets at those preferences (see Singer-Loomis, Majors PTI, etc).

I am well aware about all that. It is all well and good. However, and it is a big however, everything is all part of a bigger idea, to help people understand themselves.

So, various typological instruments are used in testing and are reasonably verifiable that those who score in a certain pattern fit share similar traits, generally. Nothing more than that is scientific. Everything else is what we normally term an art.

I have had the opportunity to discuss a lot of topics with doctors. Doctors are normally allowed to testify as "experts" in court. They use phrases like "to a reasonably degree of medical certainty." I have been told that is the standard necessary to avoid malpractice.

Anyway, if someone were to quiz them on what percentage of certainty do they make decisions on, most give a number around 5%. A mere 1 in 20 chance of being right.

As such, I have had doctors, psychiatrists, psychologists, etc. admit to me that they are often merely guessing. A medication may help someone or it might not. They really don't know. They are merely acting with a reasonable degree of medical certainty.

If medicine is so much guess work, typology is much much more. Trying to limit and hold up a single standard is the only one and true way is silly. Like medicine, it is best to say "Is it useful?" "Does it help me to understand myself better?" "Does it help me understand others better?"

If someone finds the REAL MBTI extremely useful, more power to them. But, if they are a typical person confused about themselves, it really might do nothing to help and not trying to push a single standard allows people to find ways to help themselves.

I find Quenk pretty useful and compelling. Someone else might not. There are other theorists that seem to be very useful to me as well. I sure don't limit myself to the Official MBTI test.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't read any anger in his posts, nor do they seem poorly reasoned.

And the only reason his posts aren't 'effective' in stamping out 'JCF heresy' is that people on the forum LIKE to use functions as shorthand names for patterns. So I am in agreement with him that Ne is in reality a label/convenient shorthand name for a pattern attributed to NP temperament, in contrast with Ni for the N+J temperament, in contrast with Si for SJ, and so on. But there's nothing empirical about function stackings/orders for a given type. [MENTION=8074]Seymour[/MENTION] is extremely well versed too in the data behind all of it.

While I can appreciate that people might relate strongly to what is described in function theory and tie it into their own lives, there are an equal number of people who do not. Both can be seen on the forum.

Reckful said he was very angry. And whenever there is a JCF thread, he pops up to try and destroy it. He almost never posts on anything else, except when Mole attacks the MBTI.

Again, anyone can use whatever tool they want, but many people are actually worse off after taking the Official MBTI than they were before they took the test. If so, that is a real problem.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Again, anyone can use whatever tool they want, but many people are actually worse off after taking the Official MBTI than they were before they took the test. If so, that is a real problem.

'Worse off' only because the person thinks mbti will be the hidden grail in solving ones' issues and answer everything, thus being 'mistyped' will set them down the wrong path if they take a dichotomy test and then start latching onto whatever type they tested as? Sure. But only if they're leaning so heavily on it that that's the only roadmap being depended upon. But the same could be said of functions too. What if someone spends a year or two thinking of everything in terms of functions, basing all their decisions and perceptions and psychae on that, and they're mistyped? They will have been equally screwed that way. Anyway, I agree, people will make use of what they relate to and see truth in (though whether it's actually 'valid' is outside of that). But both methods have the same issues in terms of one potentially being 'worse off'.

reckful

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram

Well, speaking of straw men...

As I said, when it comes to the search for knowledge, I believe in respecting scientific standards to the extent that they're reasonably applicable in any field. And that attitude precludes treating any particular theory or source as a sacred authority.

In pointing out that the Real MBTI Model has established its validity in accordance with the standards applicable in the personality psychology field, I am in no way saying that there aren't or can't be other personality typologies that also establish respectable levels of validity. There are! And I've read about a number of them, and pay regular attention to, e.g., Big Five studies that make the news. There's no unscientific "profound worship" of the MBTI or any other typology going on here at Casa Reckful.

Nor am I saying that there aren't plenty of new insights and discoveries waiting to be made about what MBTI type is about. I'm sure there are! And the same is true of the Big Five. Personality typology is a relatively young science, and that's a point I've made more than once before.

And I've certainly never claimed that the official MBTI instrument does anything like a bang-up job of typing people. On the contrary, and as just one example, I'm always pointing out that I think there's a noteworthy tendency for INFs to mistype as INTs on the official MBTI.

My objection is to typological categories that have no respectable claim to validity — and as I said, I especially object to those categories when they're described/advocated by sources that conflate them with "the MBTI" and fail to acknowledge that what deserve to be viewed as the respectable districts of the MBTI and the zodiac-level stuff (from a validity standpoint) aren't just lalalala different perspectives with anything like equally valid claims to line up with actual human psychology.

----------------------------------------------

As a supplemental point...

You mentioned going beyond "the basics," and Quenk's descriptions of how different types act under stress, as if my perspective somehow put limits on what aspects of type were worthy of study. But it doesn't at all.

Nor is it my view that an MBTI aficionado who's interested in what, e.g., NFs tend to be like should limit themselves to qualities of a typical NF's personality that have somehow been clearly established by way of some respectable body of statistical data. Not at all.

Imagine that there are seven people you know pretty well who consider themselves NFs and seven people you know pretty well who consider themselves STs, and it seems to you that those preferences are reasonably strong/clear in those people. And suppose you're sitting there thinking about that anecdotal sample of NFs and STs and thinking about ways they seem to be opposites of each other, and pondering whether they seem to suggest one or more aspects of NF type and/or ST type that go beyond what you can remember having read about. And then suppose you go on an MBTI forum and throw out those anecdotal observations for discussion.

Do I have any objection to any of that? Not at all.

If it turns out there have been large-sample studies that bear on those same correlations, then I'd encourage you to have the perspective that all other things being equal, large-sample studies are more likely to indicate type correlations that are real and/or typical than anecdotal observations. But lots of type descriptions in sources I consider worthy (e.g., Myers and Keirsey) are partly based on the accumulated anecdotal experience that the authors have had in dealing with the various types.

But now suppose you're sitting there thinking about seven people you know pretty well who are Capricorns and seven people you know who are Libras, and you're thinking about ways the Capricorns seem to be similar (and different from the Libras) and ways the Libras seem to be similar (and different from the Capricorns).

If that's what you're doing, and you're a friend of mine, I have no qualms about confessing that I'd be strongly inclined to do my best to convince you that your time would be better spent thinking about personality-type categories with a respectable claim to validity. And at the least, I'd want to try to convince you that — as an objective (really!) matter — you should at least recognize that there's a significant difference (from a scientific respectability perspective) between the kinds of categories you're focusing on and categories that can make a respectable claim to psychometric validity.

You see the distinction? Nobody should claim — and I certainly don't — that any current personality typology is in anything like a final state, or that the studies that have already been done, or the books that have already been written, come anywhere close to figuring out and capturing everything that can be said about the types. That's a very open-ended task, and at the end of the day, essentially an infinite task.

But very much by contrast, establishing whether a set of proposed typological categories has some basic level of validity — setting aside what the full and rich nature of those categories might consist of — is a much more finite task, and something that psychologists are capable of doing with a far-from-ginormous body of studies.

And countless MBTI studies, over 50 years, have established the validity of the four MBTI dichotomies, and have also demonstrated countless correlations with dichotomy combinations in the manner reflected by what I call the Real MBTI Model.

And very much by contrast, and as further detailed in my earlier posts, the correlational patterns that would correspond to the Harold Grant stack have failed to show up — which puts the "tertiary Si" of an INFP in the Capricorn category.

And anybody's free to ponder the effect that "tertiary Si" is having on their INFP friends, just like they're free to ponder what stuff their Capricorn friends have in common. But my hope would be that, if they're going to do that kind of pondering, they should at least understand that there's an important distinction to be made between the categories they're pondering and categories with a respectable claim to validity.

And as you know, the MBTI forums are full of posts by people who fail to understand that distinction, and who treat the respectable districts of the MBTI and the validity-free districts as if they're all the same kind of thing, and/or as if they're all equally "valid" perspectives.

Hence my noble, ongoing crusade to clear up that misunderstanding.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
As Jung saw it, of all the components that go into Jungian type, there was no "opposition" more strong and profound than the one between introversion and extraversion.

In case you assumed otherwise…I have ready Psychological Types many times (and other works by Jung), owning a well-worn copy, in addition to a well-worn copy of Gifts Differing.
This sort of side-steps my main point, makes some assumptions about what I think, and leaves out some key details.

1) Am I arguing that Myers has the most faithful interpretation of Jung?
- No. Rather, I am simply noting how she based her system on Jung’s ideas, and later I will explain why tossing out this foundation presents a problem for MBTI.

2) That the most faithful interpretation of Jung or the most popular interpretations are the best.
- Well, I find this illogical. The most faithful and popular are not necessarily the most reasonable or what shows up in reality. I think MBTI is a more logical and realistic system, which is probably why it is aligning with the real world data. But to say its system is totally divorced from Jung is not accurate either, IMO.

3) Jung’s types would align with actual people (which I know you don’t believe either).
- No, because he didn’t make a system to type people. Jung notes that these are pure types, and that few if anyone is a pure type. He acknowledges most people are something closer to what we call ambiversion, and he even suggests that many may not have any differentiated functions at all!

Myer’s interpretation synthesizes all these statements, which would otherwise be contradictory. The struggle between E/I in a person’s psychology is now a matter of the inferior and dominant struggle (which Jung did focus on, I agree), but the reality that people are not entirely I or E in their mentality is explained with the auxiliary, which in every way is different without being opposed.

I strongly disagree that Myers significantly based her "MBTI profiles" on her notion — which is best viewed as simply a part of her theoretical justification for the auxiliary attitude flip — that each type used one of their preferred functions in connection with their "inner world" and one in connection with the "outer world." And there's more from me on the schizophrenic introvert idea — outwardly J but dominantly P, or vice versa

What you seem to be suggesting here is that the only difference between, say, an ISTP and ISTJ is J/P mentality, separate from the other dichotomies.

But that is not what Myers suggests, otherwise she would’t group ISTPs and INTPs together in Gifts Differing and group ISTJs and ISFJs together, etc. She is clearly grouping them according to what she sees as their dominant preference, and for ISTPs that is T, whereas for ISTJs that is S. Her explanation to classify introverts on the J/P dimension is using their extroverted, secondary preference, although I don’t think that the J/P dimension aligns with Jung’s use of “rational” or “irrational”.

I will address this more further down.

But more importantly, and for the most part, Myers really didn't base her profiles on the "functions" at all. She based them on the dichotomies. And it's reasonably clear that that's because Myers, despite quite a bit of lip service to Jung and the functions, understood that the dichotomies were the essential components of Jungian/MBTI type — and also that dichotomy combinations were associated with many noteworthy aspects of personality, but that there was nothing particularly special about the combinations that are purportedly associated with the functions.

Again, that would mean she sees each dichotomy as its own separate trait, as opposed to indicating preferences which are more than the sum of their parts.

If this were the case, then we should expect her to describe the appearance of Feeling for all IxFx types the same way. Yet, only with IxFPs does she echo Jung’s words that their Feeling is often not outwardly visible. Why would that be if J/P is not indicating something more than being it’s own preference?

What is it about IFP compared to IFJ that produces a notable difference in the way the feeling preference comes out in the personality?

The explanation is that the P/J dichotomy is affecting the other preferences, so that the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. This now becomes an issue of semantics where you either call it FJ and FP preferences or Fe and Fi preferences. The differences in these seem to line up suspiciously well with Jung’s Fe and Fi types though…

In fact, Myers thought of NF/NT/SF/ST as the most significant dichotomy combinations — and it's worth noting that each of those groups is a type foursome with (assuming you believe in type dynamics at all) four different dominant functions.

If we are going to split hairs, they have the same function preferences, but different attitudes for those functions.

Of course the dichotomies are important, and I am not suggesting they are not. Jung often speaks of functions without attitudes (ie what “sensing” is without referring specifically to Si or Se). There is much overlap in tendencies with all T types, all S types, etc.

IxxJ and IxxP are arguably ways of saying “Introverted Irrationals” and “Introverted Rationals” in Jung’s groupings. However, the way J/P is tested for is not really a matter of a person being a dominant rational or dominant irrational, as I agree that IxxPs aren’t “internally more like Js”. J stands for “judging” and although Myers says she relabelled these as “irrational” for perceiving could be insulting to some, I don’t think that P/J aligns with rational or irrational in Jung’s theory so much as being the result of a few factors.

J/P refers to a whole mentality, IMO. For J types this refers to Pi+Je preferences and for P types it is Pe+Ji preferences (although I realize the short-hand contradicts this idea; but it’s simply for the sake of brevity, which is also a lost cause at this point). IxxP means that Ji is before Pe, and IxxJ means that Pi is before Je, but it doesn’t mean the IxxP has a J mentality at core. Given that Je and Ji are opposed in a mentality, this makes sense. IxxPs aren't judging types at core…because the P mentality is comprised of both Pe and Ji preferences.

Here I go beyond Myers, because I see her idea as having the very problem you note UNLESS we take into account the functions. Even though she over-simplifies it and doesn't explain it this way, I think it is implied.

Also, you can arrange the letter dichotomies in many ways which will show overlap with types who don’t “share the same function-attitudes”, but they share functions without an attitude or attitudes without a function or just the preference for I/E or are a dominant rational or irrational, etc. Strict function models and the dumb tandem theory do ignore this, but tossing the functions out brings a similar problem.

Why do all IxxP types highly value autonomy more than other types? What is the common theme for INFPs and ISTPs here? They have no functions shared, and aren’t NFs supposed to be cooperative and people-oriented? What about IxxP causes this? Well, function theory explains this rather than defies it. IxxP is “introverted rational” and would be opposed to an “extroverted rational” menality, and in the person’s psychology, this causes a friction that can look rebellious. Noting the inferior function tells us a lot about types.

The dichotomies, IMO, actually DO make this clearer to note and discuss. But that doesn’t remove the reality that Myers created the type profiles using Jung’s pure types and combining them for the top two preferences. For example, INFPs turn feeling inward like a fur lined coat, and outwardly they seek possibilities, etc, which matches the Ne description; in contrast, her portrait of INFJs is quite different. Shouldn’t the only difference between them be the J/P dimension? Rather that dimension affects the whole mentality, and Jung’s functions are used to break down HOW and WHY. That doesn’t mean these types don’t have a great deal in common, and probably way more than INFJ would have with an ISTP.

Understanding Jung properly would mean INFJs don’t “use Ti and Se”, but that this is rather a mostly unconscious character in their psychology and will come out in an undifferentiated way. INFPs also have an unconscious ST character, which again created similarities for the two types (and the same can be said of all types which only differ by the J/P dimension).

Only the tandem model would suggest INFJs are like ISTPs, but the letter dichotomies and Jungian theory would actually say INFPs have slightly more in common with ISTPs (although not nearly as much as INFJs and INFPs will have in common).

If you remove the conceptions about tandems, then what conflict is there with the functions, the dichotomies and data about how personalities appear in reality? Rather, functions clarify the dichotomies in such a way that makes MBTI more consistent, not less.

and Myers ignored (and/or adjusted) substantial portions of those in creating her own type portraits. (As one example, and as discussed at length in this post, Myers' IS_Js bear little resemblance to Jung's Si-doms. And for a detailed discussion of the surgery Myers performed on Jung's conception of Te, see this PerC post.)

I disagree with most of this.
I agree she adjusted the profiles a bit, and a fair amount of that is due to creating types with two Jungian preferences over just one (ie pure types). The rest of it may be bolstered by her research, which IMO, just means she is building and refining the model with real world data. That doesn’t mean she totally ignored Jung’s ideas besides giving them lip service and that they didn’t have influence on her type portraits.

I entirely disagree that her ISxJs don’t align with Jung’s Si type or that she altered Te. I think people don’t understand Jung’s Si type well, and Myers did a good job of putting it in layman’s terms instead of the heavy metaphorical and symbolic language Jung uses.

She was also strongly influenced by Van Der Hoop, whom she also quotes and who basically wrote less dense profiles of Jung’s 8 types.
Her conception of ExTJs shows how the S/N preference affects the Te preferences; again, the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.
The fact that she still groups ExTJs together in her portraits shows she sees the shared dominant preference.

I read your interpretation of Myers vs Jung's Te and I don’t agree with it. If the types arent pure, then of course an ENTJ wouldn’t stick with conventional methods or ideas - BUT one may use conventional and accepted logic to order/arrange original ideas to meet a particular end goal. Myers very much saw how the Te and Ni preference synthesized to produce a whole, distinct personality. That is pretty much how the ENTJ profiles read, especially as compared to ENTPs who are described as more outwardly experimental in their methods. Sure, TJs and TPs may often reach similar end conclusions, just as Fi and Fe types do, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t starting from a different end. Te types are noted to be more hung up on data than Ti types.

You sort of comically support that in every post you make, as you frequently reference statistics and put a lot of stock in the data itself. In contrast, INTPs seem more focused on a consistent line of reasoning to back an idea, and data is often secondary or seen as supportive. Coincidence?

…other than a diagram near the end that shows that "ENFJs like Feeling best, Intuition next, Sensing third and Thinking least," and one brief note about tending to use Feeling in the "outer world" and Intuition in the "inner world." All the rest of the ENFJ descriptions in the report — after the brief initial profile, which isn't broken down by components — are descriptions of N (not Ni or Ne), F (not Fi or Fe) and so on, and they're the same descriptions of N and F (and the five subscales of each) that ENFPs receive in their reports (notwithstanding the fact that ENFJs are Fe-Ni and ENFPs are Ne-Fi).

I don’t see how the contradiction here is not glaring to you….
Why are ENFJs feeling first and ENFPs intuition first if the foundation of their type descriptions is not rooted in Jung’s type descriptions?
If we toss out functions, then what justification can be used?
And if we explain it as “The P/J preference affects the whole so that N+P and F+P produces particular traits, etc”, then we just have a matter of semantics on our hands. And it still wouldn’t justify the idea that ENFPs are N first, unless we continue to accept that J/P points to the function of the extroverted preference. To accept that means there is a function stack, although that doesn't support a tandem theory.

The more I reread Psychological Types, the more I appreciate the extent to which getting from Jung to the Myers-Briggs typology involved substantial adjustments and additions. I think the formidable job Briggs and Myers did in separating the Jungian wheat from the chaff, and modifying and supplementing Jung's theory, is grotesquely underappreciated by many internet forumites.

I agree it is under appreciated (but I think the comments about Myers not having a degree are tasteless and pointless; how you don’t see a Te attitude in that is hilarious. Someone is only smart and educated if we’ve used the conventional means of measuring them as such and handed them a piece of paper stating it?). But these online communities started getting interested in the functions because of holes in the MBTI that its very foundation patches.

A major hole is when testing for dichotomies as if they are individual factors that don’t influence one another in a whole personality, the dichotomies aren’t always properly separated (which may not be possible for the reason just noted). For example, the sensing questions lean towards SJ and the feeling descriptions lean towards FJ, but why that is may not be grasped unless we understand that Se and Si are a bit different, and Fe and Fi are a bit different, etc. Without that understanding, people who mistype or those who are close on two dimensions may struggle to settle on a correct type.

More on the idea of types being on a spectrum later…

But if what you're really asking is why middlish test results are more of an issue with the dichotomies than with the functions... where have you gotten that idea?

No…I am suggesting many people type 50/50 because of the way the dichotomies are based on functions without attitudes, and how functions with attitudes can alter how the function appears or how one experiences it. This is where understanding how the type portraits were created off of Jung’s 8 types can be helpful when people are trying to find their type.

IMO, getting a 50/50 result means the test is not able to indicate a type confidently based on what you input. It doesn’t necessarily mean you don’t have a preference, but that the test is not picking up on it. It doesn’t indicate strength of preference either, but the likelihood of having a preference based on what info you gave it. Example: 3% T is more like a confidence level that you are a T type.

However, you can also only give it info based on what it asks...and if it is asking about T/F and F sounds like FJ, then you have a problem...

As explained at more length in this post — which also addresses a number of other issues often raised by people claiming to "debunk" the MBTI — the reliability stats for the MBTI put it essentially "on a par" with the leading Big Five tests. In my experience, claims that the Big Five is substantially superior to the MBTI in the test/retest reliability department are most often accompanied by statistics that confuse retest rates on single dimensions with retest rates for a complete four-letter type.

I never suggested the MBTI was inferior to Big 5. That is not why I mentioned how people’s results often change. I am not a Big 5 fan, and I didn’t even mention it, so I don’t know the purpose of comparing/contrasting the two here, but since you bring it up…

It seems to me you want to assert MBTI is as - if not more - valid than Big 5, and one way of doing that is removing Jung’s theory from MBTI, as if this is what makes it invalid to people (fluffy theory instead of a data backed system).

But the problem with Big 5, IMO, is that it tells you nothing beyond what you give it. You tell it you like poetry, and it says “you are open, and open people like such things as poetry.” Ummmmm…..yeah, that’s what I told it! It doesn’t take every dimension it tests and combine them and create a WHOLE recognizable personality type.

Whereas MBTI is an INDICATOR that uses the info you give it to suggest something deeper. It uses dichotomies to indicate something MORE than just what you put into it. The 4 letters indicate something more than 4 preferences, they indicate a WHOLE personality type distinct from the other 15.

Now, if it’s just a scale of preference, then why call them dichotomies? I don’t disagree with the idea as a possibility, but it does sort of make calling and structuring the preferences as dichotomies rather, well, stupid.

IRL, human qualities do tend to exist on a spectrum, even if we can create categories that most people will be able to be sorted into (ie hair color). Nonetheless, these categories often have middle areas where the traits blur together and someone is “inbetween”.

Here, function theory patches the hole. T and F are dichotomous….but Te and Fe have some things in common (extroverted rationals), as do Ti and Fi (introverted rationals). The different commonalities you can find between the 8 types involve I/E and J/P aspects and cut across S/N and F/T preferences, meaning the dichotomies sometimes assign a particular quality to one preference when it exists to a degree in others (or other combinations). This can be explained when we note that functions have attitudes, and that the whole is more the sum of the parts, and how the letters combine to form a larger whole rather than being separate dimensions within a personality.

Personal anecdote - I test close on T/F, and what helped me decide the best fit type for myself was learning that Fi often doesn’t appear outwardly in the personality as Feeling and that Feeling is rational. To deny this comes from Jung’s theory is disingenuous. It is also hard to explain why IFP often looks that way but IFJ doesn’t. That Feeling is directed inward for a FPs explains it, and it really explains it when we see a similarity with how feeling operates in EFPs and IFPs, because we cannot just chalk it up to introversion anymore.

So does a person really have no preference or are they making a choice on the test influenced by another aspect of their personality, since in reality they are a whole personality and not some abstract preferences cobbled together?

Well, I think MBTI is often at fault here, for being a tad too overly simplistic, but it doesn’t mean it is totally invalid or doesn’t do a pretty good job of indicating type based on the info you plug into it. When it fails to do so for some individuals, the foundation it was built on can be helpful to them for determining what type suits the best.

If we take it purely as a spectrum and toss out dichotomous preferences, then the system sort of collapses, because what J/P is used to justify can no longer be justified, and we no longer have distinct types (and all that data on whole types and their tendencies means very little), and we’re left with something similar to Big 5.

Last edited:

reckful

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
They warned me this suit of armor was haunted.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
As I read [MENTION=18736]reckful[/MENTION] and [MENTION=6561]OrangeAppled[/MENTION] posts I am also struck by one argument that feels Te in style vs the other which feels Ti. But [MENTION=6561]OrangeAppled[/MENTION] doesn't have Ti in the top 4 functions according to the theory. Yes that's true but these patterns of thinking are noticeable in people even if individuals don't always line up with their supposed function ordering for their type. The system isn't perfect.

virtualinsanity

MBTI Type
--TP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I know you weren't directing this at me.. but if I may.. One thing to also remember is that this is the internet. There's a difference between seriously harping and not seriously harping. I will not bleed to death if someone uses a different system than me.. nor if there is no 100% 'right' system to use. (I think by way of subjective logic, there isn't a right one because everyone is different. One man's trash is another's treasure.) For me, I just like debate and counter-arguments and this has been on my mind.. but not like the Dr. appointment I'm dreading going to, tomorrow or Thursday. I'm validated by my own system that I've come up with.. and my thread was based on something I misunderstood in the first place. I agree on the one hand that people should use what works for them but on the other, I do feel there are more 'wrong' systems..( One system could be close to 56% sensible, while another is more like 80% sensible..).. and some people might not have a thought process that makes sense or a good handle on who they are as people.. (As you say when you talked about them mistyping themselves.) ..

I think for me, MBTI/Jung/HoodeyPookie/Valoocheedookie. or whatever you prefer to call it, shouldn't be taken so seriously to the point where people start feeling offended and what not.. but rather uh.. just fun! At the end of the day, we're all skeletons and are going to die. There's a type we can all, factually relate to.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I know you weren't directing this at me.. but if I may.. One thing to also remember is that this is the internet. There's a difference between seriously harping and not seriously harping. I will not bleed to death if someone uses a different system than me.. nor if there is no 100% 'right' system to use. (I think by way of subjective logic, there isn't a right one because everyone is different. One man's trash is another's treasure.) For me, I just like debate and counter-arguments and this has been on my mind.. but not like the Dr. appointment I'm dreading going to, tomorrow or Thursday. I'm validated by my own system that I've come up with.. and my thread was based on something I misunderstood in the first place. I agree on the one hand that people should use what works for them but on the other, I do feel there are more 'wrong' systems..( One system could be close to 56% sensible, while another is more like 80% sensible..).. and some people might not have a thought process that makes sense or a good handle on who they are as people.. (As you say when you talked about them mistyping themselves.) ..

I think for me, MBTI/Jung/HoodeyPookie/Valoocheedookie. or whatever you prefer to call it, shouldn't be taken so seriously to the point where people start feeling offended and what not.. but rather uh.. just fun! At the end of the day, we're all skeletons and are going to die. There's a type we can all, factually relate to.

In either case, this is a very good thread with some really interesting posts in it.

virtualinsanity

MBTI Type
--TP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
As I read [MENTION=18736]reckful[/MENTION] and [MENTION=6561]OrangeAppled[/MENTION] posts I am also struck by one argument that feels Te in style vs the other which feels Ti. But [MENTION=6561]OrangeAppled[/MENTION] doesn't have Ti in the top 4 functions according to the theory. Yes that's true but these patterns of thinking are noticeable in people even if individuals don't always line up with their supposed function ordering for their type. The system isn't perfect.

I see what you're saying but I think my "one-size" fits all mindset won't allow me to accept such systems... and that I need to find one that's more loose as to give humanity wiggling room, to get closer to accuracy, even if not complete. (..which still kind of bugs me.) With that said, it may have some validity. I guess I'm just searching for something more.. and created my own. My top 4 functions are Ti>Ne>Se> ? I often blend Se/Ne together.. but I say I'm an N because I believe I have Ni over Si. (Ne+Ni/Si = N > Se+Ni/Si) .. I don't relate to INTP's supposed functional stack.. Ti>Ne>Si>Fe. I have Se over Si which screws things up.. and I don't believe my Si is undeveloped but I just use Se more. (It's almost like a 2nd aux function, which is why some tests pickup on ISTP.) What if I'm a psychopathic, Bipolar, INTP?.. and all of my functions are well developed because I'm full of personality? What if they regularly change order after Ti>Ne>Se, everyday?:shrug:

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I see what you're saying but I think my "one-size" fits all mindset won't allow me to accept such systems... and that I need to find one that's more loose as to give humanity wiggling room, to get closer to accuracy, even if not complete. (..which still kind of bugs me.) With that said, it may have some validity. I guess I'm just searching for something more.. and created my own. My top 4 functions are Ti>Ne>Se> ? I often blend Se/Ne together.. but I say I'm an N because I believe I have Ni over Si. (Ne+Ni/Si = N > Se+Ni/Si) .. I don't relate to INTP's supposed functional stack.. Ti>Ne>Si>Fe. I have Se over Si which screws things up.. and I don't believe my Si is undeveloped but I just use Se more. (It's almost like a 2nd aux function, which is why some tests pickup on ISTP.) What if I'm a psychopathic, Bipolar, INTP?.. and all of my functions are well developed because I'm full of personality? What if they regularly change order after Ti>Ne>Se, everyday?:shrug:

I think the rigid functional stacking just isn't quite suited for everyone though it might work 85% of the time. Mostly I think it works but for some, I have found that it doesn't fit as well.