• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

isn't posting pics of one's newborn babies unethical?

Firebird 8118

DJ Phoenix
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Don't post any photo online that you don't want some pervert potentially jacking it to later, especially of your children.

That already makes me want to post less. :mellow: Not that I’m interested anyway in showing pics of my baby niece to anyone other than close friends of mine (and that too in private).

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
I propose a reality show called The Ugliest Baby. People compete to see who has the ugliest baby. The parents with the ugliest baby win 100,000.

It would be the most 21st century American thing ever. I'm sure it would be a huge hit. I have to figure out additional ways to humiliate the parents, though, and not just their infants. Maybe have them duel it out with those padded American gladiator staffs over who gets the chance to give their baby milk from the bottle. It's important to foster that kind of healthy competition to encourage solid american values of hard work and self-reliance. Only the babies with the strongest parents should have access to basic nutrients; otherwise, we'd be rewarding mediocrity and laziness.

The premiere should be on 9/11.

Could you even humiliate the kind of parents who would go on this show?:unsure:

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
A child can comprehend if they do sports that they may get photos taken. A newborn baby cant
So the more able to understand and express an opinion a child is, the more right the parent has to decide for them? Something is backwards here. Should parents then decline to decide what a baby will wear or eat; whether it is a good day for a stroll in the park or a visit to the zoo; or when Grandma can visit, because the infant cannot comprehend these things? That would make parenting impossible.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Is it unethical to post pictures of your pets? Including the really smart ones? Are wildlife photographers unethical?

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is it unethical to post pictures of your pets? Including the really smart ones? Are wildlife photographers unethical?

If we follow this path of reasoning, Steve Irwin was practically Hitler to the animal kingdom until he was slain by the noble stingray for which the prophecy had foretold. Now I'm more confused than ever...

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If we follow this path of reasoning, Steve Irwin was practically Hitler to the animal kingdom until he was slain by the noble stingray for which the prophecy had foretold. Now I'm more confused than ever...
I'm starting to wonder what the trees and squirrels actually think of Bob Ross.

The Cat

Staff member

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm starting to wonder what the trees and squirrels actually think of Bob Ross.

Something tells me their testimonials may contain language deemed inappropriate for PBS viewers.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Lol. You're smart but can't accept you're in the wrong. Yeah.

I just made a point and you bitched. I can say what I wish. Turn off if you don't like it. I don't get silenced.
You can get ignored, which amounts to the sane. Or you can get criticised. If you are not willing to have your ideas criticised, well, I'm sure I don't need to spell out the alternatives. Yes, imposing no contact orders on your critics is one approach, though not one that will contribute to meaningful discussion, or encourage others to take your comments seriously Note also that no contact requests work both ways. If you require it of someone else, you may not contact or refer to them.

GoggleGirl17

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If you think about different cultures, some have more relaxed boundaries when it comes privacy, and the same goes for individuals. I personally don't like the idea of consistently posting those kinds of pictures in places on the internet where anybody can access them, but I also don't like the idea of overstepping when it comes to someone else's parenting, since the fear of "potential danger" can be applied to many kinds of parenting choices, in one way or another. It's still their job to protect them and their situation to handle until the child starts to develop a sense of their own personal boundaries and preferences.

theablekingedgar

Permabanned
You can get ignored, which amounts to the sane. Or you can get criticised. If you are not willing to have your ideas criticised, well, I'm sure I don't need to spell out the alternatives. Yes, imposing no contact orders on your critics is one approach, though not one that will contribute to meaningful discussion, or encourage others to take your comments seriously Note also that no contact requests work both ways. If you require it of someone else, you may not contact or refer to them.

he comically accused me of being a dictator. i merely raised a point, and apparently i should be silenced since i'm lecturing to random imaginary people. i still say what i wish, and if people are "lectured" by me, they'll know it. the fact he got triggered and tried to be hostile over nothing really is telling. so he can go do one and leave me be.

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
I don't think it's inherently unethical, but obviously I do think there is a certain amount of restraint that should be exercised as well. I think it could easily cross into unethical territory if anything clearly embarrassing we're posted or if any sort of significant personal information about the child were revealed

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't see why it's bad, especially in the age of zero privacy. Animals can't consent to pictures either, but we do it anyways.

theablekingedgar

Permabanned
a dog or cat, or horse, or tiger or whatever other species doesn't have the same social ramifcations lasting for life.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
I mean. There are a million zillion things that are low level unethical, and probably 5 or 6 times that that can be questionable depending on personal opinion.

While people should try to do the best they can imo, controlling for every potentially unethical thing is impossible.

I mean. Eating honey can be seen as unethical. Pumping your own gas when we could create more jobs for people instead to do that.

Idk. Different things are big deals to different people. If something seems wrong to you, decide whether its worth doing something about. Otherwise idk what to say

The Cat

Staff member
social media: red in tooth and claw.

Jaguar

15faac813d96ebf61fa8eb5bcf46fd20.gif

That cat is seriously unethical.

theablekingedgar

Permabanned

Can a cat tell its owner that it didn't like photos of it when it was kitten? Do other cats mock it or even praise it years afterwards? Animals are self-aware, sure. But not to the level of a human, nor would they find the same pressures as humans would in this case.
Not also paedophiles who can and will take even innocent baby pics and use them. Cats don't have to worry about that.
It's a scant comparison imho.

- - - Updated - - -

15faac813d96ebf61fa8eb5bcf46fd20.gif

That cat is seriously unethical.

Don't like the topic, then leave, sir.