• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

isn't posting pics of one's newborn babies unethical?

theablekingedgar

Permabanned
Sometimes celebs would post pics of their newborn babies. Or even random people on Facebook groups would.
I don't think this is right.
The baby doesn't and cannot choose that.
The parents are naturally happy and proud and loving (duuuh..)
but that photo of their several hours old baby may last forever online.
How would their son or daughter feel once they get to adulthood? That a pic of them as a newborn is still circulating?

I know it's well-intentioned, but I don't feel it's right to do this. I don't have nor want kids, but that's literally a lifetime of scrutiny for their child even if they are not doing it out of a bad place.

Tiger Owl

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Interesting question. The audience here is predominantly liberal and many may quizzically agree with your position above while still vehemently supporting abortion rights. Humans are fascinating, boringly predictable, and vile as hell at times, but try as a may I can't stop caring about each of them.

Don't post any photo online that you don't want some pervert potentially jacking it to later, especially of your children.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sometimes celebs would post pics of their newborn babies. Or even random people on Facebook groups would.
I don't think this is right.
The baby doesn't and cannot choose that.
The parents are naturally happy and proud and loving (duuuh..)
but that photo of their several hours old baby may last forever online.
How would their son or daughter feel once they get to adulthood? That a pic of them as a newborn is still circulating?

I know it's well-intentioned, but I don't feel it's right to do this. I don't have nor want kids, but that's literally a lifetime of scrutiny for their child even if they are not doing it out of a bad place.
Schools, scout groups, and sports teams routinely ask parents for permission to include photos of their children on websites, newsletters, etc. This is no different. The law in most places requires an adult to give permission for many things on behalf of a minor child. It does not grant the minor authority to make these decisions for themselves, even when they are well old enough to do so, e.g. teenagers. I am more concerned about lack of autonomy in those cases.

Whether it is a good idea to post personal details like photos online is another matter. I tend to be quite stingy with what I am willing to post, but then I am unusually paranoid about such things.

theablekingedgar

Permabanned
Schools, scout groups, and sports teams routinely ask parents for permission to include photos of their children on websites, newsletters, etc. This is no different. The law in most places requires an adult to give permission for many things on behalf of a minor child. It does not grant the minor authority to make these decisions for themselves, even when they are well old enough to do so, e.g. teenagers. I am more concerned about lack of autonomy in those cases. Whether it is a good idea to post personal details like photos online is another matter. I tend to be quite stingy with what I am willing to post, but then I am unusually paranoid about such things.
A child can comprehend if they do sports that they may get photos taken. A newborn baby cant

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I propose a reality show called The Ugliest Baby. People compete to see who has the ugliest baby. The parents with the ugliest baby win 100,000.

It would be the most 21st century American thing ever. I'm sure it would be a huge hit. I have to figure out additional ways to humiliate the parents, though, and not just their infants. Maybe have them duel it out with those padded American gladiator staffs over who gets the chance to give their baby milk from the bottle. It's important to foster that kind of healthy competition to encourage solid american values of hard work and self-reliance. Only the babies with the strongest parents should have access to basic nutrients; otherwise, we'd be rewarding mediocrity and laziness.

The premiere should be on 9/11.

theablekingedgar

Permabanned
You're not the final arbiter. Period.
I never said I was. But to get so irate when I'm staying an opinion is comical. So much for your intelligence and social discourse when my mere presence offends you.

comsider a no contact request since you're obtuse beyond belief. I can raise any pony I wish provided YOU get offended.

- - - Updated - - -

You're not the final arbiter. Period.
I never said I was. But to get so irate when I'm staying an opinion is comical. So much for your intelligence and social discourse when my mere presence offends you.

comsider a no contact request since you're obtuse beyond belief

theablekingedgar

Permabanned
I propose a reality show called The Ugliest Baby. People compete to see who has the ugliest baby. The parents with the ugliest baby win 100,000. It would be the most 21st century American thing ever. I'm sure it would be a huge hit. I have to figure out additional ways to humiliate the parents, though, and not just their infants. Mayee have them duel it out with those padded American gladiator staffs over who gets the chance to give their baby milk from the bottle. It's important to foster that kind of healthy competition to foster solid american values of hard work and self-reliance. Only the babies with the strongest parents should have access to basic nutrients; otherwise, we'd be rewarding mediocrity and laziness. The premiere should be on 9/11.
I told you not to contact.

Jaguar

comsider a no contact request since you're obtuse beyond belief. I can raise any pony I wish provided YOU get offended.

- - - Updated - - -

comsider a no contact request since you're obtuse beyond belief

Quit quoting my posts then freaking out when you don't like my opinion. This is the second time you've behaved like this in a thread. Put me on ignore. You can't handle the truth.

theablekingedgar

Permabanned
Quit quoting my posts then freaking out when you don't like my opinion. This is the second time you've behaved like this in a thread. Put me on ignore. You can't handle the truth.
Lol. You're smart but can't accept you're in the wrong. Yeah.

I just made a point and you bitched. I can say what I wish. Turn off if you don't like it. I don't get silenced.

Jaguar

Lol. You're smart but can't accept you're in the wrong. Yeah.

There is no right or wrong, there is only opinion. Maybe if you focused more on your own life instead of shoving your snout into the personal lives of others, things would improve for you.

theablekingedgar

Permabanned
There is no right or wrong, there is only opinion. Maybe if you focused more on your own life instead of shoving your snout into the personal lives of others things would improve for you.
Yep that makes sense. I'm merely making opinions here. I don't give a damn if you dislike it. That is the issue here. You're clearly not very happy in life but then I can see plenty of angst. As a human I comment on what I wish. Get over that or come and beat me if my views hurt you.

theablekingedgar

Permabanned
Then allow others to have theirs and be on your way. End of story.
No. The issue here is you don't like ME commenting. I told you I don't care what you think. I say what I think. Get over it.

note you are the one who got hostile over nothing. I know the deeper reason here so go away.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Why are people acting like babies in this thread?

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Why are people acting like babies in this thread?

I'm rather disappointed about the lack of feedback I've gotten about my reality TV show idea. The Ugliest Baby would get the highest ratings of all time. There would never be a show people would like more than The Ugliest Baby.

Jaguar

681094dcf9ee1efc961bb6dc268f4981.gif