• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is time travel even possible?

Is time travel possible?

• Yes

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • No

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Yes, but only forwards

Votes: 14 42.4%
  • Yes, but only backwards

Votes: 3 9.1%

• Total voters

Mole

Permabanned
yes, it has been in ancient times and medieval times because a lot of countries worked with aliens and demons

Yes, Jesus cast out demons, like many healers of his day Jesus believed that physical and mental illness was caused by demons, so it was rational for him to heal his followers by casting out demons, and demonstrate his supernatural powers.

The problem is today we know demons do not cause physical and mental illnesses, we know they are caused by lesions, genetics, and infections.

And although Jesus meant well he was mistaken about physical and mental illnesses, and he was wrong about other things as well.

What was Jesus mistaken about?

Gunboat Diplomat

MBTI Type
INTJ
Yes, Jesus cast out demons, like many healers of his day Jesus believed that physical and mental illness was caused by demons, so it was rational for him to heal his followers by casting out demons, and demonstrate his supernatural powers.

The problem is today we know demons do not cause physical and mental illnesses, we know they are caused by lesions, genetics, and infections.

And although Jesus meant well he was mistaken about physical and mental illnesses, and he was wrong about other things as well.

What was Jesus mistaken about?

Jesus was mistaken about driving the demons into swine. Pigs don't posses bicameral minds, and as such are not suitable hosts for demons.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
Bump.

Is time travel possible?

The answer is largely dependent as to whether or not we believe time is a linear concept.

Does time exist (obviously I get the rotation around the sun signifies progression, and that while "time" might not exist we, as living organisms, elapse and our cells degenerate due to our continued existence), in the sense of a 24-hours a day being the standard, objective unit of measurement? This is the main driving question behind Time Travel -- Does time exist if nothing is capable having the cognitive reasoning capacity to observe life "elapse".

If time is a linear concept by which all things are unified, time travel is achievable by simply rewinding the clock by which everything is universally aligned -- If the entirety of existence and the cosmos is not bound by a unifying measurement of time, the time travel water become muddied as if you are suddenly warped back into an arbitrary chosen historical destination, the current time from which you came must exist in its own separate context elsewhere (this line of reasoning ties more into Parallel Universes, which seems like a much more plausible theory to me in relation to time travel than the vastness of the cosmos being bound by one unit of measurement by which everything is tied to)

Mole

Permabanned
We can travel forward in time at different rated depending on our speed or gravity, but we can't travel back in time because of entropy.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
We can travel forward in time at different rated depending on our speed or gravity, but we can't travel back in time because of entropy.

Christopher Lloyd and Michael J. Fox say differently.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't think one can go back in time either. The past doesn't exist anymore, it's dead, so there's nothing to go back to.

So you would say the universe is simply copying itself and recreating itself every iteration of forward time?

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
To the best of my knowledge the answer is no. We can at best approach the speed of light with some miraculous technology not yet invented but can't go past the speed of light and time travel. I am going to have to brush up on my DVR recordings of 'How the Universe Works.' Other theoretical physics ideas of wormholes and such, i guess get around the speed of light problem.

xXxXx_wEltschmErz_xXxXx

the manga was better
So you would say the universe is simply copying itself and recreating itself every iteration of forward time?
That's an interesting way of putting it. I guess yes, the idea that only the present version exists feels right, and the present is based on the past but when it's already established itself the past isn't needed and the present is independent. If the present moment is a copy of the previous moment, wouldn't the universe/ time itself need to keep some sort of records/ copies of past moments for time travel backwards to be possible? And it would need to keep those together chronologically, that sounds like a real bother. So it feels more natural that the past ceases to exist when it ceases to be the present (to me anyway). How do youuu view it?

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
That's an interesting way of putting it. I guess yes, the idea that only the present version exists feels right, and the present is based on the past but when it's already established itself the past isn't needed and the present is independent. If the present moment is a copy of the previous moment, wouldn't the universe/ time itself need to keep some sort of records/ copies of past moments for time travel backwards to be possible? And it would need to keep those together chronologically, that sounds like a real bother. So it feels more natural that the past ceases to exist when it ceases to be the present (to me anyway). How do youuu view it?

I honestly don't even know. :p

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
For time travel to even be possible, well...it'd still be possible anyway...

Here's the conundrum. Time is NOT LINEAR it's cyclical.

mirkers

Hey guys. Somebody help please. I am in a situation in which I have to take a car in one country and hand it over in another. Particularly, I am going from Strasbourg, and I want to hand it over in Florence or Venice... I have always used one site for renting cars but this time they say I cannot do that with several countries. So I started searching for other options and services and found this one https://bookingautos.com/en what do you think, can I rent a car there?

Tengri

Not in the popular sense portrayed in time travelâ„¢ movies, books, and comics. (Spoilers: the next season of Stranger Things is definitely going back to the future, though) Time-space can be altered, halted, shifted by exotic singularities like super-massive stars, black holes, pulsars and obviously time dilation during interstellar travel, which is vaguely like time travel, are all known instances of time travel. The idea of sitting in a comfortably upholstered divan fitted on a filigreed metal carriage with brass knobs ordained with decorative curlicues and nonspecific dish and random coils is still science fiction, Verne notwithstanding the test of time. The closest approximation to this concept would be moving between dimensions, but to use another trope, inter-dimensional travel would theoretically require energy on par with channeling a Dyson Sphere - both of which are more conjecture and fantastical than realistic for the current level of human civilization.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Time is an illusion. We only see the present due to our 3rd dimensional perspective. But the beginning and end have already played out, we just haven't percieved it yet, and never will. "Time" is much like the infinity between whole numbers. We can count to 1 and 2, but we can't count the decimals in between.

Time travel is only possible moving forward, if at all possible.

Of course it is. It usually occurs when show writers have run out of ideas or have written themselves into a corner.