• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is there anything similar to the military that pays for school?

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
He called me back today from a toll phone, wanting to have lunch with me, today. He said the bike had a flat tire, and now I'm starting to wonder if he is being entirely truthful with me. I'll ask more about it next time I see him. He hangs around the area.

Yeah I see this situation as highly suspect. Although I want to believe the best in people and I know that you do too, good people- like perhaps the homeless guy- can be in really desperate situations and do things that- maybe they otherwise wouldnt do. It is really great that you want to help him, but dont hurt yourself in the process of it. It seems like you have already done a lot for this person, and I would really- just leave it at that. Let it stay a good thing.

You seem like a great person, and I dont want you to be hurt.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Well, could you do any of those and use them to get a master's degree in something you're passionate about? And do you really need disability if you have those other options? Like, I don't know your situation, but don't let your conditions hold you back more than they should. :) Also, I'm a tad bit impressed you went through college with all of those.

Wanting to help people is an admirable quality. There are lots of ways you could do that, I think.

There is nothing that I am passionate about. I've been actively doing self searching for 8 years now, and am no closer to finding my passion than when I started. Work is just an income generator for me. The things I really like in life are the things I buy.

SurrealisticSlumbers

📠girl in an 🎠world
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
May I ask how old you are? I creeped on your bio where you mention that you're a pharmacy tech, and that you're 21, but wasn't sure if that was an outdated bio. Sorry if that was too nosy of me.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
May I ask how old you are? I creeped on your bio where you mention that you're a pharmacy tech, and that you're 21, but wasn't sure if that was an outdated bio. Sorry if that was too nosy of me.

That's still accurate.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Well, could you do any of those and use them to get a master's degree in something you're passionate about? And do you really need disability if you have those other options? Like, I don't know your situation, but don't let your conditions hold you back more than they should. :) Also, I'm a tad bit impressed you went through college with all of those.

Wanting to help people is an admirable quality. There are lots of ways you could do that, I think.

Are there any jobs that pay 6 figures for people who are both mentally ill and would rather not work? I have a bumch of disabilities and the only thing I like about work is payday.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't know. :huh:

The whole reason I work is to pay the bills. I have ADHD, which makes holding down jobs harder for me, but I work only for the money, as a rule. I'd like big money, but my mental illness gets in the way, leaving me miserable most of the time.

SurrealisticSlumbers

📠girl in an 🎠world
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The whole reason I work is to pay the bills. I have ADHD, which makes holding down jobs harder for me, but I work only for the money, as a rule. I'd like big money, but my mental illness gets in the way, leaving me miserable most of the time.

The reality is, darling, you have a rather lucrative job as it is... you have a choice here. The choice either to access gov't benefits or to content yourself with your line of work. I don't know what your highest level of education is, but there may be other jobs out there for which you are qualified. If it is a matter of actually not wanting to do anything, that's another matter entirely and one I can't help you with. I get that you're autistic and have ADHD, but there are resources you can access to make life easier, i.e. therapy. You actually sound depressed and like you don't want to participate in life itself.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The reality is, darling, you have a rather lucrative job as it is... you have a choice here. The choice either to access gov't benefits or to content yourself with your line of work. I don't know what your highest level of education is, but there may be other jobs out there for which you are qualified. If it is a matter of actually not wanting to do anything, that's another matter entirely and one I can't help you with. I get that you're autistic and have ADHD, but there are resources you can access to make life easier, i.e. therapy. You actually sound depressed and like you don't want to participate in life itself.

Yes. that is also an issue. ADHD, Autism, Anxiety and Depression, and I've had all of those for years. School Social work pays triple what I'd make working full time at CVS, and that should take care of the $400 a month in disability I'll permanently lose if I start earning more. The work itself isn't appealing to me, but I think I'll like the work there better than talking to insurance companies all day. The way disability pays here is ridicoulsly low, and the income ceiling is also ridiculously low. I'm about to complete a bachelors of General Studies with a focus in humanities, and I could try to become a Drug Rep with that and make the kind of money I want...but nobody I have regular dealings with sees me as a drug rep type of person. I'll do it for the money, though, so that I can actually AFFORD to treat my conditions.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
1170 a month from work plus 400 from disability puts me at 1570 a month. I'd hardly call that even enough to survive on.

thepink-cloakedninja

Marshmallow Heart
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Well, how much money do you really need to make? Would a 6-figure salary make you happy? What if you tried cutting back on hours so you could do things that make you feel fulfilled, and then adopted a somewhat minimalist lifestyle? You could do things like learn to play a new instrument, take a fun art class at your local art center, and fulfill your desire to help people by say, volunteering at a nursing home or wildlife refuge or wherever. I think that a portion of the unhappiness in developed countries is caused by people trying to have it all and not prioritizing what will make them happiest.

SurrealisticSlumbers

📠girl in an 🎠world
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
1170 a month from work plus 400 from disability puts me at 1570 a month. I'd hardly call that even enough to survive on.

Mmm well I make $617/month - granted, I work 15 hours a week - and have only been able to find part-time jobs my whole adult life, even working multiple part-time jobs at a time. I'm not trying to have a contest here, but it looks like you need a bit of perspective on your situation.

If you hold out and get your BA, your desirability on the job market will increase markedly. It sounds like you're going through a bit of a stressful time now working and going to school, and I get that, as I'm doing the same as you are. But understand that this is temporary and that you will soon have your degree in hand, and if you've got an idea to go into social work, I think that would be doable if you don't want to get into any specialized area, i.e. psychotherapy, that would require more education. You could do pretty well for yourself. It sounds like you do need therapy, though, if you're unable to see your situation for what it is.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Well, how much money do you really need to make? Would a 6-figure salary make you happy? What if you tried cutting back on hours so you could do things that make you feel fulfilled, and then adopted a somewhat minimalist lifestyle? You could do things like learn to play a new instrument, take a fun art class at your local art center, and fulfill your desire to help people by say, volunteering at a nursing home or wildlife refuge or wherever. I think that a portion of the unhappiness in developed countries is caused by people trying to have it all and not prioritizing what will make them happiest.
I also have some mild depression--not enough to lose all interest in everything, but enough for my sense of meaning and happiness to take a pretty big hit. For example, I felt a little excitement when I found out my college has a free gym that lets people workout there without an id--which means I can get away there when I'm not committed to something (like that pharmacy tech job that, while I wouldn't go so far as to say I hate it, I dislike being there). Also, when some tv shows I like come up, I can somewhat enjoy them, though not as much as I used to. All my positive emotions tend to be muted. To be honest, if I did become a school social worker, making between double and triple what I make now, I would still have summers off to travel places. I've always liked experiencing new places and ideas. One of the reasons Military Social Work appealed to me was it combined helping people with travel with excellent pay...but I would never be accepted into that, so I'd best forget about it.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Mmm well I make $617/month - granted, I work 15 hours a week - and have only been able to find part-time jobs my whole adult life, even working multiple part-time jobs at a time. I'm not trying to have a contest here, but it looks like you need a bit of perspective on your situation.

If you hold out and get your BA, your desirability on the job market will increase markedly. It sounds like you're going through a bit of a stressful time now working and going to school, and I get that, as I'm doing the same as you are. But understand that this is temporary and that you will soon have your degree in hand, and if you've got an idea to go into social work, I think that would be doable if you don't want to get into any specialized area, i.e. psychotherapy, that would require more education. You could do pretty well for yourself. It sounds like you do need therapy, though, if you're unable to see your situation for what it is.

I'm seriously considering a MSW. I won't be rich, but it will put me into the social work specialties I have more interest in. If only I could combine Social Work with Travel...that might be interesting for a single man such as myself. (I debate whether or not I should even think about dating...it feels like a can of worms I don't want to open, but I get lonely, sometimes, too.)

thepink-cloakedninja

Marshmallow Heart
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I also have some mild depression--not enough to lose all interest in everything, but enough for my sense of meaning and happiness to take a pretty big hit. For example, I felt a little excitement when I found out my college has a free gym that lets people workout there without an id--which means I can get away there when I'm not committed to something (like that pharmacy tech job that, while I wouldn't go so far as to say I hate it, I dislike being there). Also, when some tv shows I like come up, I can somewhat enjoy them, though not as much as I used to. All my positive emotions tend to be muted. To be honest, if I did become a school social worker, making between double and triple what I make now, I would still have summers off to travel places. I've always liked experiencing new places and ideas. One of the reasons Military Social Work appealed to me was it combined helping people with travel with excellent pay...but I would never be accepted into that, so I'd best forget about it.

That sucks. I've struggled with depression before, and the toll it takes on your passion for activities is rough. For awhile, the only pastime I even enjoyed was sleeping. LOL. But hey, I'd say that feeling little excitement about a free gym is a normal response. Gyms are boring. Now if you found out about a free bouncy house or petting zoo ... :newwink:

Meh, well being a pharmacy tech also sounds extremely boring (not to knock on pharmacy peeps or anything).

I really think that you should focus more on what's going on inside of you than how your external circumstances are affecting you. Let go of what you can't do because of your medical conditions, and don't let them rule you, make choices for you, or dictate anything else about your life. It might not be a bad idea to get help as well if you're not already in therapy or taking any medications. Also, I'd recommend looking into nutrition for mental health. It's a controversial enough topic that it would be a foolish idea to let nutrition take the place of therapy or medication, but I've found it to be a nice supplement to hard-core treatment.

Also, healthyplace.com is one of my favorite sites for this kind of thing. I'd recommend you check it out and maybe surf some of the blogs and stuff. It was a big help to me when I was struggling.

Mental Health Support, Resources & Information | HealthyPlace

And if you can, make a support group and find people to talk to about this stuff.

If you have any questions about happiness and mental health, let me know, but I don't want to talk about money or jobs anymore.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

I want to travel and experience many different things

thepink-cloakedninja

Marshmallow Heart
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So, you are very religious, then?

I think that depends on how you define "very religious." For me, the word religion has negative connotations as I associate it with rules, strictness, fear, and violence. I think of my "religion" more as a close relationship with a loving divine father.