• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] Is a Bad Temper Common in ENxPs?

BatmanFanatic

MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm an ENxP who's normally quite calm. Whenever anyone is intentionally needlessly rude and they're not remorseful for it, I tend to fly into a rage and become dead-set on getting back at the person who was rude by insulting them back. I don't have the ability to calmly laugh off the offender's behavior with sarcastic remarks. I become absolutely furious and like I said, dead-set on insulting them back, unless they are repentant. Is this common ENxP behavior?

á´…eparted

passages
Similar to what I said in your other thread, this has nothing to do with type. You need to get a reign in on your temper, grow as a person, and find ways to cope.

Lark

I dont think that's a good way to be, sometimes its difficult to remain calm when others conduct isnt good but its ultimately not within your control and you shouldnt want it to be either, all you can control is your response to it and any of the responses you've considered, sarcasm, laughing it off, trying to get them to repent of their behaviour, are all other directed, you shouldnt let it disturb you.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I'm an ENxP who's normally quite calm. Whenever anyone is intentionally needlessly rude and they're not remorseful for it, I tend to fly into a rage and become dead-set on getting back at the person who was rude by insulting them back. I don't have the ability to calmly laugh off the offender's behavior with sarcastic remarks. I become absolutely furious and like I said, dead-set on insulting them back, unless they are repentant. Is this common ENxP behavior?

Yep, blind rage. If you're young this is probably a bigger problem. If you're going to fly off the handle every time someone makes a rude comment, wow life will be difficult for you. Maybe speaking to a professional would help you get a better handle on the anger.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Similar to what I said in your other thread, this has nothing to do with type. You need to get a reign in on your temper, grow as a person, and find ways to cope.

More people need to understand this. Yes, all types are prone to negative trait based upon their specific weaknesses but all people can learn to curb their negative tenancies.
I can't even count how many times people have told me " You aren't an ENTJ! You aren't aggressive enough! ( not even what "aggressive" means) I used to be, so much, but I grew the fuck up.

Point being; even it is a common fault of your type, you can work on it.

evilrubberduckie

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Has nothing to do with type. Im an ENTP and the strongest negative emotion I run into often enough is irritation.

Work on your anger. It has nothing to do with type. Its just you being you. Try being the best you.

BatmanFanatic

MBTI Type
ENTP
I get angry so frequently at those people because I feel belittled, as if they literally shrank my ego down to microscopic levels. I become furious when they do it to other people for the same reason: I don't like it when others feel belittled. Like I said, I believe there's no point in being needlessly rude for the sake of it.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
As an enfp, i used to get deeply hurt (anger is kinda a no no as a girl) when people were rude to me because my default need is to be understood. It's how I show others I care about them - by trying to understand where they're coming from. I would get very frustrated and hurt, to the point of hysterical (if pushed too long and hard by certain relatives) trying to explain myself, and having them twist everything into a negative and untrue perspective. It took me a while to understand that others don't share my default perspective, why that is and how to deal with that.

The same is true for underdog causes. Harming others, including through cruel statements and verbal bullying tends to make my blood boil, causing the whole 'championing' effect that enfps are known for. Considering that Fi is a mother**** wild horse to tame when you're young, it can cause intense emotion and some serious practice to learn how to deal with.

It doesn't help if your self-esteem was damaged in your childhood, because you take these insults onboard even more readily and they stay with you (as you have no faith in your own judgements and often have been taught to accept other's stances instead as true as a default) - which in turn causes you to rebel against them and build up resentment, which leads to lashing out and explosive tempers.

It takes time to learn to trust your own judgement and how to process what people tell you in a constructive way - to learn how to weed out which comments you should take on board and how to see which comments are honestly just motivated by what is going on within those people (which is about 90 percent of the time).

For now, as a rough rule of thumb, take everything other say with a bucket of salt, especially if it's meant to get your goat or be harmful in some way - it usually means those people have so much shit they have to work through still, that they're just lashing out (like you do when you explode) at you to take their mind of the misery in their own life. It's especially brutal when you're younger, as everyone, including yourself, is still sorting out their shit, causing them to hurt others, often without meaning to, or intentionally to feel better about themselves in comparison.

Knowing that they're struggling themselves and figuring out why is how I cope with this and what allows me to somewhat distance myself and feel compassion for them, instead of getting hurt and upset.

It does take some practice, though :)

Note: if you don't feel you can relate to this narrative, just disregard it.

MBTI Type
*NF*
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I get angry so frequently at those people because I feel belittled, as if they literally shrank my ego down to microscopic levels. I become furious when they do it to other people for the same reason: I don't like it when others feel belittled. Like I said, I believe there's no point in being needlessly rude for the sake of it.

I agree :D Just kick their ass :newwink:

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7

I feel this every goddamned day, always have.

But, to quote a famous lady who's name I don't remember "“No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.”

They do this to you because it gets to you. You don't control your anger, it controls you and by proxy anyone who can see this, controls you.
Every time you get angry ( and, most likely, make a complete ass of yourself) you're dancing on their puppet strings. You need to learn to ignore it, to show them that they have no power over you.

That's what I do. A lot of people still try to make me feel bad, to try and start some sort of petty competition with me and I can pick up on their insecurity in a second. ( my guess is others pick this up in you too) I use it against them. I pretend I didn't hear it, to let them know that their bullshit does not even register in my world. That I am a goddamned lotus flower and their vitriol does not stick to me. ( Buddhist stuff.)

You'd do very well to learn this too.

BatmanFanatic

MBTI Type
ENTP
I feel this every goddamned day, always have.

But, to quote a famous lady who's name I don't remember "“No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.”

They do this to you because it gets to you. You don't control your anger, it controls you and by proxy anyone who can see this, controls you.
Every time you get angry ( and, most likely, make a complete ass of yourself) you're dancing on their puppet strings. You need to learn to ignore it, to show them that they have no power over you.

That's what I do. A lot of people still try to make me feel bad, to try and start some sort of petty competition with me and I can pick up on their insecurity in a second. ( my guess is others pick this up in you too) I use it against them. I pretend I didn't hear it, to let them know that their bullshit does not even register in my world. That I am a goddamned lotus flower and their vitriol does not stick to me. ( Buddhist stuff.)

You'd do very well to learn this too.

The reason why I'd get so furious at those people is because to me, I believed that not responding was a sign of weakness, whereas responding was a sign of male domination and power. I wanted to appear powerful in the sense that I wouldn't take crap from anybody, with no tolerance for such behavior.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
The reason why I'd get so furious at those people is because to me, I believed that not responding was a sign of weakness, whereas responding was a sign of male domination and power. I wanted to appear powerful in the sense that I wouldn't take crap from anybody, with no tolerance for such behavior.

Ooook. You don't see any problem with any of ^^?

Male domination and power, seriously? Do you know how ridiculous this sounds? You think you have to assert domination over another person because.....? Someone is going to kick your ass someday because of your misplaced idea of masculinity. Grow up and get some help.

BatmanFanatic

MBTI Type
ENTP

Male domination and power, seriously? Do you know how ridiculous this sounds? You think you have to assert domination over another person because.....? Someone is going to kick your ass someday because of your misplaced idea of masculinity. Grow up and get some help.

I said "I'd", as in past tense. I don't really have that mentality anymore, as I realized that it was causing me much more distress then simply trying to avoid the issue. Additionally, I resort more to snark, rather then blind rage whenever someone has pissed me off now, so like I said, that post was referring to a past problem, not a present day one.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Just so I am fair to those who also have been posting about behavioral attitudes to typology:

No.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7

Yeah, that is how a lot people see it. And THB that is a juvenile view point. I say that not as an insult but as a fact, because I think most us have been there and learned better.

Edit: ..well you've said " Past" so now I really don't know what kind of advice you want.

This sounds like a guy I used to know-seriously masculinity issues. Every time the most insignificant inconvenience cropped up he'd threaten to " Kick someone ass". Everyone else was stupid and fell for it. They scurry around trying to make him happy and I'd sit back and do whatever I wanted. No, he never did "kick my ass."

I was the leader in that group and everyone knew it. I got that way because I was just confident. I never had to threaten or bang on my chest.

So this was prime example of the tiny beta dog ( "Beta" as it actually applies to a pack, not as in a meme that MRA's use to insult) desperately-and pathetically-trying to prove his dominance against someone who just wasn't impressed.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This hasn't been my experience with ENxP's I've known.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
This hasn't been my experience with ENxP's I've known.

It's funny, every forum/group about MBTI likes too pick on ENFP's for being " crazy" not in an endearing way either. Like they accuse them all of being socio/psychopaths.
I haven't known many ( most of my friend are INFP's. I get along with them because in my experience they don't judge. I need that.) but the have known are maybe a little...flighty? But certainly not violently crazy.

BatmanFanatic

MBTI Type
ENTP
While you guys have mentioned that any type can have a bad temper, Cascadeco mentioned that they do not know many ENxPs with the temper problems I mention I have. Is my short temper more common in another type? While I've definitely improved on it, I still became irrationally enraged if someone speaks to me even somewhat rudely.

Jayce

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7sx
I see this as a problem of low self-esteem and the rage as Fe acting out. Not a type related problem, even though ENTPs are said to have it, outbursts I mean. Tertiary Fe and all that.

You can ask yourself, is there something to be belittled about you? Are you not good enough as you are? I think it would help to develop a reliable self-image that isn't reliant on other people.

PS. I totally wholeheartedly recommend meditation for you. It has been so beneficial on so many unimaginable levels to me. If you want more advice, feel free to PM me.