• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] INTJ Self-Actualization

FallsPioneer

MBTI Type
INTJ
Being the best person that you can possibly be. As in, you developing your potential.

creativeRhino

MBTI Type
INTJ
as usual Wikipedia has some answers -

Self actualization - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
and
Abraham Maslow - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Maslow's primary contribution to psychology is his Hierarchy of Needs. Maslow contended that humans have a number of needs that are instinctoid, that is, innate. These needs are classified as "conative needs," "cognitive needs," and "aesthetic needs." "Neurotic needs" are included in Maslow's theory but do not exist within the hierarchy.

Maslow postulated that needs are arranged in a hierarchy in terms of their potency. Although all needs are instinctive, some are more powerful than others. The lower the need is in the pyramid, the more powerful it is. The higher the need is in the pyramid, the weaker and more distinctly human it is. The lower, or basic, needs on the pyramid are similar to those possessed by non-human animals, but only humans possess the higher needs.

The first four layers of the pyramid are what Maslow called "deficiency needs" or "D-needs:" the individual does not feel anything if they are met, but feels anxious if they are not met..... Needs beyond the D-needs are "growth needs," "being values," or "B-needs." When fulfilled, they do not go away; rather, they motivate further.

The base of the pyramid is formed by the physiological needs, including the biological requirements for food, water, air, and sleep.

Once the physiological needs are met, an individual can concentrate on the second level, the need for safety and security. Included here are the needs for structure, order, security, and predictability.

The third level is the need for love and belonging. Included here are the needs for friends and companions, a supportive family, identification with a group, and an intimate relationship.

The fourth level is the esteem needs. This group of needs requires both recognition from other people that results in feelings of prestige, acceptance, and status, and self-esteem that results in feelings of adequacy, competence, and confidence. Lack of satisfaction of the esteem needs results in discouragement and feelings of inferiority.

Finally, self-actualization sits at the apex of the original pyramid.

The best / simplest way I can think of describing what it may be in reality is the ability to go beyond survival regularly in life (ie have enough physical and relationship things as per Maslow's lower rungs in the article above) to be able to indulge in what you choose.

Clearly this could be seen to include the likes of Paris Hilton on the finacial rungs, but I'd say her emotional needs are way unmet.

Equally it doesn't mean you can't self-actualize if you are poor in relative terms - it is just a matter of knowing what your minimal needs are vs more elaborate wants/wishes. What foundation do you need / want before you can self actualize?????

In our culture/economy we are encouraged to be on an endless cycle of material improvement and the challenge has been for each of us to work out what equals enough. In fact I think it encourages the misconception that more stuff equals self actualization. Self actualized people in very poor environments just have less complex hard to meet basic needs before they start doing what really is "their own thing".

Self actualization has very little to do with $. Of course $ will help widen some choices, but all the $ in the world, all the knowledge of how best to proceed etc. won't stop a person from standing on the verge of what they want but fearing actually starting.

Fate does strange things in our life. People come and go, success isn't a given, money can be replaced/regained but time can't.

What I've learnt is to sometimes be brave and take risks. I don't think I've ever felt "ready" for many things I've done in life. But, as INTJs we should know that *feelings* are not to be trusted ;). In doing things I've found I was ready and "good enough", and even if I bombed out I learnt heaps.