• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Interesting Blog Post on Facebooks new (ish) gender boxes

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This was given as part of an independent study during my course. I thought it was an interesting exploration of how, at least on a societal level, gender norms are changing in popular culture. It is a two part blog post written pretty much in layman's terms so should be an easy read.

Wasn't entirely sure which sub forum to post this on, so mods please feel free to move it if necessary.

"This brings us to the second reason why what Facebook did was important. The gender dichotomy is not just problematic for those it excludes, but also for those it includes – because the idea of two, and only two, genders is associated with commonly held attitudes that those genders are ‘opposite’ to each other, and that they involve having to behave in stereotypically ‘feminine’ and ‘masculine’ ways. When people hold rigidly to such attitudes and try to conform to limited ideals of masculinity and femininity they often struggle. High rates of depression and body image problems in women, and high rates of criminal conviction and suicide in men, have all been linked to limiting and rigid ideas of what it means to be a woman or a man. Also, gender stereotypes limit people’s opportunities in the world in various material ways."

Part 1

57 genders (and none for me?) - Part One - OpenLearn - Open University

Part 2

57 genders (and none for me?) - Part two - OpenLearn - Open University