• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Humans are social creatures

Chthonic

Most are I guess, but some are completely happy alone.

That humanity at large runs with the herd is I guess you could say pretty conclusive. That doesn't eliminate those individuals off the curve who are as quoted, completely happy alone. Humanity is unique in it's requirements to make everyone the same when quite clearly a large spectrum of diversity is present. Stupidity is I suppose the glue that binds us all together.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No, I posted this thread because I am trying to gain insights into something. I love being alone at times but people say it's unhealthy. I was thinking my needs probably differ from most people. Most people tend to get depressed when alone but I tend to feel happier when alone. I am not sure why people kept nagging me to be more social and why they described being alone as unhealthy, and hence I wanna gain some insights into this by hearing about people's opinions on this.

If the majority's opinions conflicts with my own opinion and if being alone all the time is really considered an unhealthy lifestyle, then I might re-consider my own opinions and try to be more social in future.

As has been mentioned, simply posting this is social interaction.

I doubt you are alone "all the time." Or are you? Zero human contact whatsoever for a week, or two or maybe a whole month. No internet, no phone. You can have a book.

If you can do that and still feel mentally, physically, and spiritually healthy, then I'll believe that you are "happier when alone."

But I may question whether or not you are human.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Zero human contact whatsoever for a week, or two or maybe a whole month. No internet, no phone. You can have a book.

If you can do that and still feel mentally, physically, and spiritually healthy, then I'll believe that you are "happier when alone."

But I may question whether or not you are human.
With some books, my computer (no internet), and the great outdoors, I have done this for 4-5 days at a time, and always return feeling like I could have easily stayed away a month. Those few days were like a tiny snack to the starving.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
With some books, my computer (no internet), and the great outdoors, I have done this for 4-5 days at a time, and always return feeling like I could have easily stayed away a month. Those few days were like a tiny snack to the starving.

Well then, haha.

Henry David Thoreau style, eh?

I mean, that's REEALLLY hard for me to imagine myself doing, and am curious how many people can be true hermits.

Extroverts would have a harder time I'm sure, but even amongst introverts, I thought this would be a very difficult thing.

There's this Vice documentary about an 70 year old Russian woman that was born in 1943 in a totally isolated part of Siberia, 160 miles from the nearest town. After her last family member died, she's been living out there, in BRUTAL conditions, alone, for 26 years. A geological survey helicopter discovered the family in 1978. Unbelievable if you ever get a chance to watch: