• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How to Stay Hopeful on a Dying World

á´…eparted

passages
Coping with climate anxiety on a warming planet

However all of this is indeed a registered psychological problem.

For about a year and a half I was seeing a therapist 2-3 times a week, and this was a topic I talked about a lot. If people are experiencing stress and anxiety about it, its actually quite important to talk about it. As it is very much like grief, it is not good for the individual to hold it in. In some cases it can be extremely damaging.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
For about a year and a half I was seeing a therapist 2-3 times a week, and this was a topic I talked about a lot. If people are experiencing stress and anxiety about it, its actually quite important to talk about it. As it is very much like grief, it is not good for the individual to hold it in. In some cases it can be extremely damaging.

Ok, but I am the last guy that will be able to give you peace.
I went through full scale social collapse as a kid and therefore for me climate doom isn't something only imaginable. Since I went through a rehearsal of that. Plus the fact is that I study the issue for decades and I have scientific background, what really doesn't make me mild in argumentation. In a way I am probably the first to guess how this should play out if there is no counter-action to the environmental problems.

á´…eparted

passages
I went through full scale social collapse as a kid and therefore for me climate doom isn't something only imaginable. Since I went through a rehearsal of that.
Plus the fact is that I study the issue for decades and I have scientific background. What really doesn't make me mild in argumentation. In a way I am probably the first to guess how this should play out if there is no counter-action to the environmental problems.

I... know that. I was just pointing out that seeking therapy is good and if others think it might help them, they should absolutely seek it.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If you or anyone makes choices that go hand in hand with your statement of wishing for no animals to go extinct, and living in harmony with nature, and wishing humans cared more, I would believe that you actualize what you are saying; if you don't, though, then there's a discord between what you say you wish for and what you actually choose to bring about via your decisions.

The one thing you and I seem to agree on is the improbability of it; but that's probably the only thing we agree on in terms of choices made in life to counter this.

I guess this is what I am getting at: There is a difference between saying you care about animals/nature, vs thinking about 'what humanity needs to overcome to prevent its extinction'. Some people say they value the former when their actions and choices don't reflect that at all. I just wish everyone would OWN what they actually value; then there wouldn't be a discrepancy between what they say and what they do. If you/one ultimately prioritizes human life only, at least own it; don't beat around the bush saying you care about everything else too when in reality it isn't the case or in reality any attempt to try to pass litigation to 'live in harmony with nature' is obstructed or reversed, or due to 'humans being animals' and the reality of humans, is not prioritized.

At this point, some of these thoughts aren't directed specifically towards you, fwiw --- they reflect my frustration, though, and what I see frequently as being 'valued' but what everyone does speaks quite differently.

I do a lot to help the enviroment. A lot more than some people. I even used to be part of an Oregon enviromental preservation program. I am also learning to grow my own food. I drive a green vehicle, and I pick up trash on the side of the road. I am absolutely against littering. Which is why I dislike China and India getting off scott free as some of the worst polluters.

If you want to talk about real, and practical green solutions. I am all ears. For example, diversity of energy is more ecologically friendly than a single focus energy like solar. Diversity reduces demand for one specific enviromental resource. Allowing for things to recover. Or that 19 year old who invented an autonomous trash collector. (Way better hero and face than Greta). Or that marina who has water trash cans, to collect floating debris. Its things like this that should be embraced, while reducing waste. As well as creating competitive alternatives that can compete in a free market without help from the government. Etc. But 9/10, the people who support green whatever, are useful idiots of fossil fuel companies to eliminate competition for a shitty alternative.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
I went through full scale social collapse as a kid and therefore for me climate doom isn't something only imaginable. Since I went through a rehearsal of that. Plus the fact is that I study the issue for decades and I have scientific background, what really doesn't make me mild in argumentation. In a way I am probably the first to guess how this should play out if there is no counter-action to the environmental problems.

Ironically it's part of how you give me peace. You're still enduring.

Sacrophagus

Mastermind Fieldmarshal
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Due to climate change, our planet is slowly going belly up. The extent to which in regards to how badly and at what rate it will effect human life varies, but at minimum there will be a necessary and unavoidable large reduction in the quality of life on a global scale in the coming decades. While there are ways in which this could be mitigated, this seems unlikely or to be enough to thwart major impacts. As a result, the outlook is rather grim, to put it nicely. We'll survive as a species and people, but how we will survive might be very harsh and undesirable.

This makes it extremely difficult for some people to have hope for the future. Many of peoples plans implicitly depend on stable food and water supplies, stable economies, stable and predictable weather patterns, all of which are at major threat and will be negatively effected in the coming decades. Sure, you can have hopes, plans, and dreams for what you want to do with your life and into the future, but when the plant truly begins to tilt those plans may have to be shelved or canceled all together. For those who have grappled with this, how do you cope and how do you hold hope and positivity for your future? If you don't, then what do you plan (if at all) to do?

Discuss.

I don't worry about tomorrow. Instead, I'll ask myself "what can I do about it if things went south?"
I simply have some plans made in case of emergency, and I will deal with whatever unexpected once it happens.

I used to overthink such scenarios in the past. It was a waste of time.
Worrying is useless and will only cripple you from moving forward. Death is a simple truth.

Oh no, I deeply value life. But there comes a time where one has to accept nothing lasts forever. Strive and persevere as you might, but the clock is always ticking. For everything. So much life went extinct before humans even existed. Things go extinct, and evolve all the the time in constant flux. Humans will see the birth and death of many things, even itself. There will be a time when humans have to choose between human life, and nature. How do you reconcile the contradicting logic of unlimited empathy and saving all life, with overpopulation and the destruction of the enviroment to make saving those lives possible? We support green energy, naturalists ideas etc. But how does that stop overpopulation? It is escapism from the conscious thought of death and life. When will you realize that humans are actually the biggest problem for themselves? like an algea bloom in the ocean? Do you know what happens after an algea bloom? Everything dies becaused it used up its resources (and giving birth to new life). Its a natural part of life. Humans just question absurdity, and try to resist against the inevitable. I will be long dead before that happens. So I am content just enjoying life now.

You actually make some good points.

The world has existed and will exist without us. We are not as important as people want humans to be. However, we do play a role to preserve and care for nature and its resources at the best of our ability, for its sake, and more importantly, for our survival.

If nature took an unpleasant course where humans have gone extinct, I would not worry about it. Nature has the most wonderful tool of all: Adapting. A new system will simply take place.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
You have to imagine a better world and believe that it's possible.

Sometimes going out and participating in things can convince you with the possibility part, because then you realize you aren't alone. They had me for so long because they made me think I was alone. Now I realize that isn't true.

rav3n

Due to climate change, our planet is slowly going belly up. The extent to which in regards to how badly and at what rate it will effect human life varies, but at minimum there will be a necessary and unavoidable large reduction in the quality of life on a global scale in the coming decades. While there are ways in which this could be mitigated, this seems unlikely or to be enough to thwart major impacts. As a result, the outlook is rather grim, to put it nicely. We'll survive as a species and people, but how we will survive might be very harsh and undesirable.

This makes it extremely difficult for some people to have hope for the future. Many of peoples plans implicitly depend on stable food and water supplies, stable economies, stable and predictable weather patterns, all of which are at major threat and will be negatively effected in the coming decades. Sure, you can have hopes, plans, and dreams for what you want to do with your life and into the future, but when the plant truly begins to tilt those plans may have to be shelved or canceled all together. For those who have grappled with this, how do you cope and how do you hold hope and positivity for your future? If you don't, then what do you plan (if at all) to do?

Discuss.
The manner in which I cope, relative to ecological disaster, is to voraciously consume science on up and coming alt fuel technologies like the advancement of solar tech, biofuel, etc and pay attention to how solar tech is affecting the political landscape. Warren Buffett's subsidiary NV Energy is building the biggest solar plant in existence, to supply energy needs to Nevada.

á´…eparted

passages
The manner in which I cope, relative to ecological disaster, is to voraciously consume science on up and coming alt fuel technologies like the advancement of solar tech, biofuel, etc and pay attention to how solar tech is affecting the political landscape. Warren Buffett's subsidiary NV Energy is building the biggest solar plant in existence, to supply energy needs to Nevada.

One of the energy companies that provides me with hope is NuScale. I was fortunate enough to watch the CEO give a keynote talk at a conference in 2017 and he received a standing ovation. The potential here is massive, and one of the key features that makes it so appealing is the sheer energy density of nuclear fuel, and the fact that its designed to be modular and to self-shut down, so the risk of a meltdown or accident is reduced very close to 0.

Many people knee jerk react to nuclear power thinking it's bad, but if its designed and engineered properly (like they are doing) it is safer than nearly all other energy methods that exist.

rav3n

One of the energy companies that provides me with hope is NuScale. I was fortunate enough to watch the CEO give a keynote talk at a conference in 2017 and he received a standing ovation. The potential here is massive, and one of the key features that makes it so appealing is the sheer energy density of nuclear fuel, and the fact that its designed to be modular and to self-shut down, so the risk of a meltdown or accident is reduced very close to 0.

Many people knee jerk react to nuclear power thinking it's bad, but if its designed and engineered properly (like they are doing) it is safer than nearly all other energy methods that exist.
I'm on the fence about nuclear since the problem with it has to do with mismanagement where companies cheap out on maintenance, repair and care and/or cheap out on knowledgeable labor. If a solar plant shuts down, it's not going to have generations long negative impact on people and the environment.

á´…eparted

passages
I'm on the fence about nuclear since the problem with it has to do with mismanagement where companies cheap out on maintenance, repair and care and/or cheap out on knowledgeable labor. If a solar plant shuts down, it's not going to have generations long negative impact on people and the environment.

Look into the company- that's being managed. The whole principle of the design of the plants is to contain the nuclear waste in the event of a shutdown or when it is simply used up. The casing it is used in is the casing it is disposed in.

For the next several decades we cannot rely on just a handful of energy methods alone.

They're basically giant batteries:

rav3n

Look into the company- that's being managed. The whole principle of the design of the plants is to contain the nuclear waste in the event of a shutdown or when it is simply used up. The casing it is used in is the casing it is disposed of.

For the next several decades we cannot rely on just a handful of energy methods alone.

They're basically giant batteries:

Companies that are successful, often merge with or are bought out by global conglomerates. You can't rely on who fronts for the company at present, for something that has a generational impact.

á´…eparted

passages
Companies that are successful, often merge with or are bought out by global conglomerates. You can't rely on who fronts for the company at present, for something that has a generational impact.

If you want to throw the baby out with the bathwater and assume all businesses are or will become unethical and without actually looking into the company or technology itself, that's fine.

This company is nearly certain to have multiple active nuclear plants by the end of this decade, so we'll certainly find out what happens over time.

rav3n

If you want to throw the baby out with the bathwater and assume all businesses are or will become unethical and without actually looking into the company or technology itself, that's fine.

This company is nearly certain to have multiple active nuclear plants by the end of this decade, so we'll certainly find out what happens over time.
Having been part of the business world for many years, specifically investments and finance, including corporate finance, you'll have to forgive my cynicism about corporations. That said, I do speak from a business knowledgeable stance.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You have to imagine a better world and believe that it's possible.

Sometimes going out and participating in things can convince you with the possibility part, because then you realize you aren't alone. They had me for so long because they made me think I was alone. Now I realize that isn't true.

Where do you draw the line between dellusion and idealism?

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Where do you draw the line between dellusion and idealism?

One is based on things you see and uses that is a jumping point, the other is based on stuff that exists entirely inside your head. Trust me, I was not this gung-ho with Obama.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
One is based on things you see and uses that is a jumping point, the other is based on stuff that exists entirely inside your head. Trust me, I was not this gung-ho with Obama.

What if what you see, is explaind to you by others, as being entirely in your head?