• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How do we improve the fitness of the population?

Lark

Well, how do we do it? Is it a worthwhile goal to begin with? Why do you think so?

Socrates and Plato apparently thought so, one of them at least was recorded as haranging some guy for being out of shape and told them they were a discredit to the very idea of republicanism at the time :D

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was just thinking about this because I think this 8 week quarantine could leave people more lethargic and with unintended weight gain. I can see some companies/people trying to combat it with a bunch of exercise videos, but unfortunately they are presented too peppy right now. Even I find them annoying.

People in the U.S. are allowed to go on walks and that would match with the levels of confinement, loneliness, cabin fever, and restlessness people feel right now. I think it would be good to encourage people to go on long walks.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Also, people are generally motivated do things that make them feel good about themselves, so if the disparity between how a person feels and the exercise activity presented to them is too great, then it makes them feel like crap and they won't do it. It needs to be fun and meet people where they are at, so they correlate feeling good about themselves when doing it.

Maybe creating a gym that feels like being a kid on the playground with hilarious physical activities would encourage people to work out. Like having them roll around in giant balls and stuff like that.

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
#sodomthoughts

This way of thinking is so foreign to me.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Remove corn syrup, and other bullshit from food.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Naming simple goals that will do it is easy, the real problem is how to make it a political reality. What also may vary from country to country. Here ultra fat people are pretty rare and overweight people are mostly in the zone that they can be "saved" without too much effort. Therefore the solution is preventing further westernization in eating habits, keep GM food and openly toxic food illegal, make sure people can afford healthier food types, keep it possible that there is public criticism of fast food and related industries.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Take a page from Community and have neighborhood paintball competitions with a 10000 dollar prize for the last person standing. I guess the only thing to worry about is people bringing real firearms.