• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How can I gain muscle?

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
IDK
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I am chubby, big boned and have a feminine-like figure. Is there any way I can lift weights to gain muscle, and lose weight and give my body an overall slimmer, more athletic and muscular figure?

I don't have a lot of tesosterone in my body atm.

Do I have to do cardio also? How long do I have to spend in the gym and what do I have to eat? Yeah, a lot of questions. I know. Any tips/suggestions? I don't have a lot of time during Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday to work out, given my current situation.

great_bay

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
Go to wal-mart are stories similar to that. Wal-mart sells supplements for muscle growth. At the wal-mart I go to, there was a villian milk which makes people gain 5 pounds of muscle a month. There was also a product called creatine which is a power people take which can make a person get one pound a week. Over all, if a person takes both of the products, a person may gain up to 9 pounds of muscle.

A person can only gain 2 pounds a muscle a month without using supplements. Overall, a person would be be getting muscle 4 times as fast if they use products.

Xann

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
A healthier diet (no fast food, sugary drinks, more meat and veggies) combined with attempting this Week 1 | Hundred Pushups as well as going for the occasional walk or jog will have your body changing shape extremely rapidly as well as raising your testosterone levels. Weights would be even better though if you have the time/money. Whether or not you're able to change your body composition is entirely a state of mind.

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
IDK
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I am naturally muscular and have done only modest strength training, so I don't have person knowledge.

I have read good things about Mark Rippetoe. Here is the amazon link to his book.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/09825...X236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=mark+rippetoe

Thanks, I will have a look at it.

Go to wal-mart are stories similar to that. Wal-mart sells supplements for muscle growth. At the wal-mart I go to, there was a villian milk which makes people gain 5 pounds of muscle a month. There was also a product called creatine which is a power people take which can make a person get one pound a week. Over all, if a person takes both of the products, a person may gain up to 9 pounds of muscle.

A person can only gain 2 pounds a muscle a month without using supplements. Overall, a person would be be getting muscle 4 times as fast if they use products.

I have read about creatine having good results in both men and women, but I prefer to do it naturally. 2lbs a month doesn't seem like a bad deal, if I really try. I'm not looking to be ripped as hell or anything. Just toned and trim. I want to lose as much weight as I can without looking like something weird.

I've looked at some whey products in health stores and online, and some (not all) of the ingredients seem a bit iffy. I think you really have to search for things that are pretty natural, and research how they may/may not affect hormone levels, and normal growth (if still at a normal growth age) etc.

A healthier diet (no fast food, sugary drinks, more meat and veggies) combined with attempting this Week 1 | Hundred Pushups as well as going for the occasional walk or jog will have your body changing shape extremely rapidly as well as raising your testosterone levels. Weights would be even better though if you have the time/money. Whether or not you're able to change your body composition is entirely a state of mind.

Yes, that is what I want. I want to try something like that, but I realize it will be hard.
I have a soft spot for junk food, and I know I shouldn't.
I want to make my body as masculine as I can, before I actually go and get seen to.
I want to lose weight also.
I know these two things help raise testosterone levels, as well as some foods.
It's just a bit depressing, being chubby and feminine looking xD

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am chubby, big boned and have a feminine-like figure. Is there any way I can lift weights to gain muscle, and lose weight and give my body an overall slimmer, more athletic and muscular figure?

Do I have to do cardio also? How long do I have to spend in the gym and what do I have to eat? Yeah, a lot of questions. I know. Any tips/suggestions? I don't have a lot of time during Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday to work out, given my current situation.

There is no point in working out without changing your diet, also. Diet is more important at this stage than working out. I.e. You will see faster results from changes in diet than anything else. BUT that isn't to say they shouldn't be done together. They work as a team.

Supplements aren't needed for beginner weight trainers, especially ones that could lose some weight. There are great websites that provide instruction for free weights, etc. no need to spend a lot of money.

You should visit your doctor for a physical before starting any exercise regimine.

So, you should have a balance of cardio and weights. Walk briskly for 10 minutes then do 15 sit ups. Walk briskly again for 5 min. Then do 15 push ups. Walk for 5 again. Do 15 squats. No breaks unless you are about to faint or something. Etc.

This will kick your ass after the 4th round. And you can mix and add other reps/muscle building exercises as you go and improve. You only need 30-45 min, 3 times a week to see results. No hours on the treadmill.

Keep track of what you eat for a week (don't change your habits). There are great apps for this. Important to look at serving size, calories, fat, sugar/carbs, protein.

You will start seeing where some choices you make are smarter than others in terms of nutritional value. Slowly start limiting the quantity you eat of the non-smart ones (sodas, fast food, high sugar foods). Eventually, you can start eliminating them. Your body takes time to adjust to changes in diet and cold turkey never works well. Portion control is so important.

Good luck with your goals. It is hard work but worth it. :)

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Look, if you want to just be healthy and such, find anything that works for you. Working out builds muscle. So does getting a hobby that's physical in nature--building things, climbing, swimming, etc.

Work out.. eat a science-based healthy diet (i.e. get enough protein, don't eat too many calories, etc. etc.) and you'll be on the way to muscle.

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Eating a balanced diet is key by getting a decent carb (mostly complex), protein, fat ratio.

In order to lose fat and gain muscle, you should do cardio in addition to strength training. Cardio helps you to use up the excess energy (fat) while strength training helps to maintain and build muscle. Without cardio, you can have a lot of muscle but it won't show under layers of fat. Without strength training, you tend to lose muscle mass.

geedoenfj

The more you know..
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I agree with most of the above replies, but I think the ability of building muscles differs from person to another, some people reach their muscular ideal body in a less time than others, so if you couldn't reach your ideals efficiently try consulting a professional trainer to help you out..

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I have built some decent muscle now in the last 6 months. I am 1,77 m @ 87 kg now and have a body fat around 12% with a nearly full sixpack. I am doing freeletics 3 times a week, which is HIIT cardio and the other 2 days, I do a fullbody strength workout involving deadlifts, squats, rows, military press, bench press and pull-ups. Some weeks I skip one strength workout and go climbing instead.
Low carb diet is nothing for me. I only got tired and muscles got sore. If you think of carbs being the fuel for your muscles burning the fats, its pretty unreasonable to do heavy sports and eat no carbs. Atm I am around 390 g carbs a day, around 77g fat and 90g proteine, so somewhat up to 2600 kcal. On sports days, sometimes up to 2900 kcal. That works out great for me. The most important is to now your daily need and keep a lower energy intake. A minus of around 250 kcal a day should bring you down a kilo of fat a month and its healthy. And the 250 kilo minus should be achieved via a workout, not by diet (except you are obesly fat).

Depending on your bodytype it can take you longer to build up muscle. Being a Soft- or Hardgainer makes a difference. The former needs to do more HIIT training as in intervall cardio to the max and the latter needs to do more strength.

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
IDK
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Replies 003 (I think.. Don't quote me on this one, Bae xD)

There is no point in working out without changing your diet, also. Diet is more important at this stage than working out. I.e. You will see faster results from changes in diet than anything else. BUT that isn't to say they shouldn't be done together. They work as a team.

Supplements aren't needed for beginner weight trainers, especially ones that could lose some weight. There are great websites that provide instruction for free weights, etc. no need to spend a lot of money.

You should visit your doctor for a physical before starting any exercise regimine.

So, you should have a balance of cardio and weights. Walk briskly for 10 minutes then do 15 sit ups. Walk briskly again for 5 min. Then do 15 push ups. Walk for 5 again. Do 15 squats. No breaks unless you are about to faint or something. Etc.

This will kick your ass after the 4th round. And you can mix and add other reps/muscle building exercises as you go and improve. You only need 30-45 min, 3 times a week to see results. No hours on the treadmill.

Keep track of what you eat for a week (don't change your habits). There are great apps for this. Important to look at serving size, calories, fat, sugar/carbs, protein.

You will start seeing where some choices you make are smarter than others in terms of nutritional value. Slowly start limiting the quantity you eat of the non-smart ones (sodas, fast food, high sugar foods). Eventually, you can start eliminating them. Your body takes time to adjust to changes in diet and cold turkey never works well. Portion control is so important.

Good luck with your goals. It is hard work but worth it. :)

Do you know any sites you can recommend to me (or any keywords I can/should search for on Google?)
Even forums that can advise me further on this matter?

Yeah, I know I should really keep a food diary, but I am a very busy person at the moment.
Usually on the move, and don't have as much time for good food that I should.

I do need to cut down on junk food.
This is my major downfall.
I know it's awful for me.
I do need to eliminate it as often as I can and make better choices.

Thanks for the advice.

Look, if you want to just be healthy and such, find anything that works for you. Working out builds muscle. So does getting a hobby that's physical in nature--building things, climbing, swimming, etc.

Work out.. eat a science-based healthy diet (i.e. get enough protein, don't eat too many calories, etc. etc.) and you'll be on the way to muscle.

Eating a balanced diet is key by getting a decent carb (mostly complex), protein, fat ratio.

In order to lose fat and gain muscle, you should do cardio in addition to strength training. Cardio helps you to use up the excess energy (fat) while strength training helps to maintain and build muscle. Without cardio, you can have a lot of muscle but it won't show under layers of fat. Without strength training, you tend to lose muscle mass.

I know, I am thinking of the gym as opposed to a hobby, though. I think it would be a lot easier to access, and complete.
I do walk about 15 minutes four days a week (I guess that could count toward something), but I am also planning to go to the gym two/three times a week on top of that. I could do some more cardio there.
Yes, I need to work on the diet (as mentioned above).
I do like protein, but I seriously need to cut back on my carbs (non-complex carbs).
[This is a response to both of you, btw].

I agree with most of the above replies, but I think the ability of building muscles differs from person to another, some people reach their muscular ideal body in a less time than others, so if you couldn't reach your ideals efficiently try consulting a professional trainer to help you out..

I also agree with that.
In general, I think it will take me an average amount of time, depending on how heavy I lift things, and how much cardio I do.
I know I got an outline last time I tried (but I was lifting heavily and doing some cardio. Not a lot).

I have built some decent muscle now in the last 6 months. I am 1,77 m @ 87 kg now and have a body fat around 12% with a nearly full sixpack. I am doing freeletics 3 times a week, which is HIIT cardio and the other 2 days, I do a fullbody strength workout involving deadlifts, squats, rows, military press, bench press and pull-ups. Some weeks I skip one strength workout and go climbing instead.
Low carb diet is nothing for me. I only got tired and muscles got sore. If you think of carbs being the fuel for your muscles burning the fats, its pretty unreasonable to do heavy sports and eat no carbs. Atm I am around 390 g carbs a day, around 77g fat and 90g proteine, so somewhat up to 2600 kcal. On sports days, sometimes up to 2900 kcal. That works out great for me. The most important is to now your daily need and keep a lower energy intake. A minus of around 250 kcal a day should bring you down a kilo of fat a month and its healthy. And the 250 kilo minus should be achieved via a workout, not by diet (except you are obesly fat).

Depending on your bodytype it can take you longer to build up muscle. Being a Soft- or Hardgainer makes a difference. The former needs to do more HIIT training as in intervall cardio to the max and the latter needs to do more strength.

What kinda carbs do you tend to eat? Some people say X Carbs are bad, others disagree. I know there is a general agreement that (the majority of) white carbs are pretty bad for you. Do you have any recipes/wesbites I could look into? Quick and easy foods/drinks that will help me through lunch/the day?

HIIT Training? Are there many resources/videos on this? Where can a beginner start?

@All- I have a question (not sure if it's dumb or not, but I am still asking it regardless). Anyway, do hormone levels matter much in the long run when building muscles, or is it more down to body type? I have seen women with better muscles than men that don't lift a lot (women born as women), and men (born as men) skinnier than women, but lift a lot? Do hormone levels assist/falter the process, or is this a myth?

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The 4-Week Beginner's Workout Routine | Muscle & Fitness

[MENTION=23098]Rico[/MENTION]

That is pretty comprehensive basic starting plan.
Keywords to google "beginning weight training plan" "beginning macos diet plans" etc.

Read up.

I am a HUGE fan of macros for a dietary guide. I know you said you don't have time, but you have to make time for this. You can't not. It is that important to what you want to do. I plan my meals out at bedtime. 20 minutes because I'm too busy in the day. It is a rough guideline and if I change something I can edit easily and add/delete.

There is an app $3.99, I think that is called mymacros. A good place to start is finding out how many calories you need to maintain your current weight.

So this is going to be your max per day. Obviously, you want to lose 1-2 lbs a week and these calculators can let you know what that will be for you.

This is slow, but healthy. Trying to lose more faster often ends in over-reaching goals and failure. Remember, you want to change your lifestyle. That isn't going to happen overnight. Slow is smooth. Smooth is fast.

Calculator:
https://authoritynutrition.com/how-many-calories-per-day/

Once you know that, you can use any number of fitness apps to track your caloric intake.

I mentioned mymacros for a reason and I think you will like it. So you have your calories per day amount to eat. Now 40% of those calories should come from protein, 30% from fat and 30% from carbs. (These ratios can be played with but that combo is classic and easiest to start with).

So you can, have your junk food if you want - as long as it fits into your percentages and you come in at your caloric goal.

This is a beginning way of getting healthier. Trust me, you will soon *want* to ditch those foods after about 4 weeks of slowly making changes.

I know you specifically asked for building muscle but it is very difficult to do (in the unilateral way I think you want to) if you have weight to lose.

You want to jump in the driver seat of a Ferrari but first, you need to learn to drive stick. You have to learn the fundamentals first. Then build upon those skills to get to know how to isolate building muscle.

If you stick to managing what you eat and how much and do these beginner weights/cardio you WILL gain muscle.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
As far as the gym thing.. I'm a sucker for free stuff. Time and time again, people prove that the money they spend on the gym does not influence how frequently they attend said gym. If you're going to jump into fitness... make the gym a reward. Show you can commit to the cost of the gym first before throwing money at it... what a lot of people try to do is throw money at a gym, and hope the money helps their health improve faster.

You gotta eaaaassseee into it. One step at a time.

My recommendation: Start teeny tiny and small. I've built a plan here just in case you want it.

First 30 days:
Exercise: Do a 15 minute work out 2-3 times a week. Need a 15 minute work out, you say? Fitnessblender and popsugarfitness (or sugarpopfitness its one of the two) on youtube is free, has all kinds of times available from 5 minute work outs to 1h30m ones, and many require no weights or equipment. 15 minutes is short enough to get a sweat on, and get the routine going, without feeling overwhelmed and you're less likely to over train in such a short amount of time.
Diet: Drink more water each day. How much is more? Keep checking your pee and see if it's a light yellow. That's a good amount. Also, try to create one easy recipe on your own each week. Like... spaghetti, or a crock pot meal, something else home cooked that isn't overly complicated. Just ease yourself into making your own meals. Don't worry about your food yet. You aren't an athlete (yet).
Reward: I dunno, think of something small and awesome.

Next 30 days:
Exercise: Replace one exercise with a 30 minute one. Add one stretching work out video to the mix.. so you're working out 3-4x a week instead of 2-3x, but with slightly longer training one day and one stretching day. Flexibility is useful. Also, start taking warm ups and cool downs seriously. Who cares that the warm up and cool down are the same length as the actual training itself. They're more important right now.
Diet: You've got water down, and you've tackled a spaghetti recipe or something. Cool. Try to add a vegetable and a fruit to one meal each day. Which ones? It doesn't matter, turns out. Just pick one. Hate everything but apples? Well eat an apple a day. Like broccoli but feel guilty it's covered in cheese and that's the only way you like it? Who cares. Eat it. Just add in one to each. (I'm basing this plan off of one I made for a friend that lived off of mcdonalds. Feel free to adapt these baby steps to your own.)
Reward: Picking something better than the last thing. Like a nerf gun. Or legos.

Next 30 days:
Exercise: Up the ante and make all three work outs 30 minutes long, and start formulating them by style.. one arms day, one legs day, one cardio and core day. You've built yourself up by now. Turn your stretching video into a stretching challenge. I like 30 days of yoga with Adriene, but there's a literal ton of them out there to research and follow.. so now you're stretching every day, even if it's just 5 minutes a day.
Diet: One meal each day is home cooked now too. You're going to be experimenting a lot with home cooked stuff.. you can do it. Make some turkey burgers that don't suck, if you want chicken wings cook them yourself.. you get the picture. There's a lot of google U you can graduate basic cooking classes from... frozen dinners that last a week, healthy meals you can prep and cook each day for under 10 minutes, there are endless lists of food out there. Pick one, and try it. Not sure what kind of healthy food you need? Pick the kind you'll actually eat.
Reward: NOW you buy the gym membership. Now that you've been at it for 90 days, and you're more likely to keep the habit up with this new reward.. it'll feel better, you'll feel better prepared, and you'll have access to all kinds of cool fancy stuff to keep you interested for a while.

.. Just do something each day. It doesn't matter what, but small baby steps are the key. Obviously these are pretty vague examples and you may already do some if not all of these.. but they're there to set an example. Health is a lifestyle.. if you look at it as a race, you'll tire out and lose. Health is more like breathing.. it's something you do until the day you die, and it adapts to what your body needs at the moment. For some people, health is taking it easy.. for some, it means stepping it up. You'll find what you need along the way. It's a learning process, and a pretty cool one.

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
IDK
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'll try everything here guys, thanks a lot for your help.

I will keep everyone updated on my progress.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'll try everything here guys, thanks a lot for your help.

More than "everything", pick one program and stick to it. For beginners, the 5x5 is a good place to start. All basic compound movements that work the whole body, and very efficient if you don't have a lot of time to spend in the gym. Once you've pinned down good form and have a basic level of strength, you'll want to increase the number of reps to 8-12, known as the "hypertrophic range" because that breaks the muscle down, and when you rebuild it during recovery you'll gain size. Personally I stick to low rep counts because I don't want to get big and just want to lean out.

If you want to gain mass, you will need to eat more calories than you're burning. Tracking macros is good and can help you to optimise for maximum gains, but if you're starting from a place of junk food it's like someone who hasn't learned to walk yet trying to snowboard... There's a lot to learn about diet and nutrition, and even junk food/high GI foods like white bread/rice can be used (at the right time) to maximise gains. But all of this is too complicated for a beginner and would not be sustainable if you tried everything immediately. I'd suggest just trying to start small, do it consistently, and move towards a healthier diet with more high quality protein in it (lean chicken, turkey, fish). Creatine is again another "optimiser", and I don't really bother with it on my current program (some people I know also take branched chain amino acids and beta-alanine), but I do take whey, a whey/casein blend or soy protein as supplements depending on which part of the program I'm on and time of the day.

The main thing is to start with the basics, lift heavy, ensure that you're getting enough protein and to clean up the diet. DO NOT STARVE YOURSELF. The first thing that the body burns after all of the glycogen is gone (which happens quickly, within a day or two) will be muscle. Another thing: doing a lot of cardio burns muscle, which is why the bodybuilders avoid it like the plague (unless they're doing a cut, then they adjust their diet to protect against this). But cardio is essential to cardiovascular health, so I'd suggest doing about 20mins of moderate stuff like stair-climbing, walking on the treadmill at an incline or jogging 3-4 times a week.

As for how much protein is "enough", bodybuilders tend to overkill with up to 2g/lb bodyweight per day. Even elite athletes only take about 1g/lb, and research shows that beyond 0.8g/lb there's no subsequent gains. I eat in the range of 0.8-1g/lb, only because protein also has anabolic (muscle building) effects and while it's easy for the body to convert sugar/carbs into fat and obviously the body stores fat as fat, it's not as easy to do the conversion for protein. That's helpful if (like me) you're trying to lower body fat % or maintain it at a low level. Cost is a consideration of course, since carbs and fats are cheap, but since I'm an Asian female and weigh a paltry <130 lb, I can fulfil my protein needs without costs going through the roof.

For scale of how much protein you'd expect to get from meals:
- half a chicken breast with no skin/bone gives you about 27g of protein
- turkey breast is 24g/100g
- a can of tuna (in water, you'll want to avoid brine/saltwater because it causes water retention which means that you'll balloon and end up puffy) is ~25g
- 1 scoop of whey protein in water ~24-30g, depending on the brand/type
- greek yogurt (I typically eat Fage so this macro value is from there) is 10g/100g serving
- low-fat cottage cheese is 14g/half cup
- egg: 6g/large egg
- 2% milk 8g/cup
- egg white (you can cook this in an omelet, NEVER drink it raw because it contains avidin which inhibits your absorption of protein) 26g/cup

These are common sources of very lean protein (protein:calorie ratio is high), which is why bodybuilders tend to rely on them as stock foods. There's quite a few more, like oats etc. but remember that if you want to bulk up, you will need to ensure that you eat more calories than you burn, i.e. you can't just eat the above foods because they're very filling and you'll probably end up losing weight. Calorie-counting is flawed, but there are some things that it's useful for as a ballpark estimate, and that's why people who are starting out keep food diaries. I did it for about 3 months while trying to build muscle, and have a good enough gauge now to ballpark almost anything that I eat. I don't bother with counting calories unless I'm working towards a specific goal, and that's generally how people use that system. Right now I still generally keep track - not to try to lose weight - but to ensure that I'm eating enough because I run so much and eating high-protein/fiber means that I feel fuller and might not get enough calories.

It's really about making the physiology/biology of the system work for you.. and once you understand how your body works, it's quite straightforward to manipulate it to get it to where you want. There's several other systems as well, but I think you'll want to start with something very basic and do it consistently before trying them.

...yeah I could write a book on this stuff.

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
More than "everything", pick one program and stick to it. For beginners, the 5x5 is a good place to start. All basic compound movements that work the whole body, and very efficient if you don't have a lot of time to spend in the gym. Once you've pinned down good form and have a basic level of strength, you'll want to increase the number of reps to 8-12, known as the "hypertrophic range" because that breaks the muscle down, and when you rebuild it during recovery you'll gain size. Personally I stick to low rep counts because I don't want to get big and just want to lean out.

If you want to gain mass, you will need to eat more calories than you're burning. Tracking macros is good and can help you to optimise for maximum gains, but if you're starting from a place of junk food it's like someone who hasn't learned to walk yet trying to snowboard... There's a lot to learn about diet and nutrition, and even junk food/high GI foods like white bread/rice can be used (at the right time) to maximise gains. But all of this is too complicated for a beginner and would not be sustainable if you tried everything immediately. I'd suggest just trying to start small, do it consistently, and move towards a healthier diet with more high quality protein in it (lean chicken, turkey, fish). Creatine is again another "optimiser", and I don't really bother with it on my current program (some people I know also take branched chain amino acids and beta-alanine), but I do take whey, a whey/casein blend or soy protein as supplements depending on which part of the program I'm on and time of the day.

The main thing is to start with the basics, lift heavy, ensure that you're getting enough protein and to clean up the diet. DO NOT STARVE YOURSELF. The first thing that the body burns after all of the glycogen is gone (which happens quickly, within a day or two) will be muscle. Another thing: doing a lot of cardio burns muscle, which is why the bodybuilders avoid it like the plague (unless they're doing a cut, then they adjust their diet to protect against this). But cardio is essential to cardiovascular health, so I'd suggest doing about 20mins of moderate stuff like stair-climbing, walking on the treadmill at an incline or jogging 3-4 times a week.

As for how much protein is "enough", bodybuilders tend to overkill with up to 2g/lb bodyweight per day. Even elite athletes only take about 1g/lb, and research shows that beyond 0.8g/lb there's no subsequent gains. I eat in the range of 0.8-1g/lb, only because protein also has anabolic (muscle building) effects and while it's easy for the body to convert sugar/carbs into fat and obviously the body stores fat as fat, it's not as easy to do the conversion for protein. That's helpful if (like me) you're trying to lower body fat % or maintain it at a low level. Cost is a consideration of course, since carbs and fats are cheap, but since I'm an Asian female and weigh a paltry <130 lb, I can fulfil my protein needs without costs going through the roof.

For scale of how much protein you'd expect to get from meals:
- half a chicken breast with no skin/bone gives you about 27g of protein
- turkey breast is 24g/100g
- a can of tuna (in water, you'll want to avoid brine/saltwater because it causes water retention which means that you'll balloon and end up puffy) is ~25g
- 1 scoop of whey protein in water ~24-30g, depending on the brand/type
- greek yogurt (I typically eat Fage so this macro value is from there) is 10g/100g serving
- low-fat cottage cheese is 14g/half cup
- egg: 6g/large egg
- 2% milk 8g/cup
- egg white (you can cook this in an omelet, NEVER drink it raw because it contains avidin which inhibits your absorption of protein) 26g/cup

These are common sources of very lean protein (protein:calorie ratio is high), which is why bodybuilders tend to rely on them as stock foods. There's quite a few more, like oats etc. but remember that if you want to bulk up, you will need to ensure that you eat more calories than you burn, i.e. you can't just eat the above foods because they're very filling and you'll probably end up losing weight. Calorie-counting is flawed, but there are some things that it's useful for as a ballpark estimate, and that's why people who are starting out keep food diaries. I did it for about 3 months while trying to build muscle, and have a good enough gauge now to ballpark almost anything that I eat. I don't bother with counting calories unless I'm working towards a specific goal, and that's generally how people use that system. Right now I still generally keep track - not to try to lose weight - but to ensure that I'm eating enough because I run so much and eating high-protein/fiber means that I feel fuller and might not get enough calories.

It's really about making the physiology/biology of the system work for you.. and once you understand how your body works, it's quite straightforward to manipulate it to get it to where you want. There's several other systems as well, but I think you'll want to start with something very basic and do it consistently before trying them.

...yeah I could write a book on this stuff.

Wow, that aligns with pretty much everything that I have read and learned from all of my personal trainer friends. What a great write-up... Quite impressed!

Dyslexxie

Dope& diamonds.

It sounds like what you're aiming for is a combination of weight loss and muscle gain and if you start working out, that'll begin occurring naturally. As muscle builds, the fat will burn.

What kind of exercise you want to do, how much you want to gain/lose, how much time you dedicate to this is all up to your dedication and what you want to achieve. Cardio is excellent for weight loss but not ideal for building muscle mass so you'll have to find a balance of cardio to weight training, or begin with cardio and work your way into weight training once you've lost the weight but are ready for the muscle. With fat loss, your primary goal should be burning calories while sparing as much muscle as possible.

You should probably start by determining what body type you have and work with it: endo, ecto, or mesomorph. If you're naturally more round, chances are you're an endomorph, so you need to train for that. Endomorphs need more cardio to see significant fat loss and depending on where you're at, you'd need to do cardio at least 3x a week to see results. If you are an endo, you'll probably also need to continue cardio 3x per week too prevent yourself from gaining fat when eating excess calories, but the good news is that endomorphs have more energy to burn off than the other types.

Anyway, here are some good articles:
Workout According to Body Type
Bodybuilding for Beginners: Training and Nutrition

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I had to read the title 3 times to figure out that the key word is not "mustache" but "muscle". (that makes so much more sense)

First and most basic rule is that you have to be physically active in order not to have too much body fat, everything else are just details. What you will do is up to you but you have to be physical at least 2 hours a day if you eat normal diet. Once that is done you can help yourself with weights and similar equipmet that will give you more muscle mass and therefore ease spending of calories. But 15 minutes of lifting weights every day before you get tired is not going to have any major effect on your body. The key is to be generally physically active and everything should at least for the most part fit into the right place. (if you have normal and healthy metabolism of course)

Eluded_One

Building muscle memory in my brain
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
one word: persistence

If you even can go light for 1+ hours every day for 6 months, you'll see minor improvement. On the other hand, going for major improvement in a short span takes a great amount of effort in nutrition and strict protocol.

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=23098]Rico[/MENTION]: Yes. Hormone levels do most definitely impact fat loss and muscle growth. If there is a hormonal imbalance, it can impact your metabolism and how you digest your food, retain/use energy. Also, the people with higher amounts of testosterone can build up more muscle.