• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Guardians of the Galaxy 3

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Evil and a Heathen
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
What, the guy who got into a pissing match with Roger Ebert and said the following about Tar: "When Cate Blanchett, the phoniest actress since Meryl Steep, teams up with Field in his latest film, Tár, the result is a histrionic wingding." He writes for National Review.

For some reason I thought he died. I didn't realize he writes for the National Review now; it looks like he used to write for the New York Press, not the Village Voice.

Apparently he's not too into PT Anderson; he was not a fan of There Will Be Blood.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Looks like it was a rough marriage counseling session, judging from the mechanical damage -- poor Nebula.

1683226355974.png

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Evil and a Heathen
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Looks like it was a rough marriage counseling session, judging from the mechanical damage -- poor Nebula.

View attachment 28778
I just finished reading a book with characters from the future, and because one of them was always called Blue, I kept picturing Nebula.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
1683241947788.png

From James Gunn: "Photo from moments after the last time, likely forever, we shot with the full on-set Guardians cast all at once. GOTG3 opens in just a few days. See you at the movies."

Funniest comment in the Twitter responses: Someone was worried because Groot and Rocket aren't in the picture. Yeah, they took a beating because obviously the characters could never appear in a live photo. DURRR.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Interesting: This is the first Guardians Film where the critic/audience RT scores didn't match up.
Both are still overwhelming positive, but the audience moreso.

GOTG3
Critics: Certified 80%
Audience: (1000+ verified) 96%

GOTG: 92/92
GOTG2: 85/87

EDIT: I guess the Holiday special was the reverse: 93/80.

Metacritic (which is actual score, not like/dislike) has:
Critics: 65
Audience: 83

Last edited:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So I just finished it. I'm having a really weird response. Like, it's a decent film... but tonally it's not as much like the other Guardian stuff. It isn't nearly as humorous to me, or that unique endearing mix of humor and serious depth all at once. It feels more solemn with humorish tone. Maybe another point is that Guardians always had a plot focus with strongly defined characters, this felt more like exploration and resolution of characters and the plotting isn't as strong. I understand the basis for some negative criticism responses. I think I'd like it more if it had remained more consistent in tone to other films.

The film core is really Rocket's backstory. It's heartbreaking. The High Evolutionary is totally psychotic and irredeemable...he's frightening in his depravity. I'm okay with that. Usually when I cried, it was with Rocket's memories.

The end was very surprising. That's about all I'll say openly.

EDIT:
I didn't really like most of the musical choices either. Yes, I knew most of them, but they didn't evoke anything in me, and most seemed to be used as random traveling music rather than contributing something to a scene. The two major exceptions were:

I'll say a bit more about the film here:

That kinda fit with my thoughts, but I didn't think the needle drops were as consistently good either, and I was also more okay with the darker elements.

ALso this, but a lot of spoilers about the plot. "Is it good enough after all the phase 4/5 crappy MCU stuff to have a film that simply isn't bad?"

Last edited:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Wow. That did NOT scan. He needed to handle that differently or telegraph it somehow. So yeah, another thing where this film did not feel quite as intuitive as the first two films. I didn't really find it adorable either, it felt very jarring and over-sentimental in the way I originally perceived it.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I agree with the gist. Maybe it's also why the soundtrack for 3 no longer felt personal to me. It was just random music much of the time.

When Ego brutalizes the Walkman, it actually feels like a character death.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Makes a good point, honestly.

There was a lot of closure in GotG3 and people got endings that were "realistically happy." Like, not the "Get everything you ever wanted" ending or the "sacrifice your life to save the universe" ending extremes. These were actually scaled down but contented endings for the characters in question, drawing many arcs to a general close.

I like where Peter ended up and it's kind of what he needed. To try to change that without a very good cause (and a sensible one -- I can't think of a good reason for a change either) feels more like a diminishment.

I also hope they don't pull some Gamora/Skrull hanky-panky either.

I mean, bottom line: That is the sort of crap that actual comic books are prone to, with the constant changing of the creative guard, but hey let's NOT be like actual comic books in this regard for once, and actually create real narrative arcs that aren't going to get redrawn by a new director?

EDIT: Maybe I should actually post the link next time.

Last edited:

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
Makes a good point, honestly.

There was a lot of closure in GotG3 and people got endings that were "realistically happy." Like, not the "Get everything you ever wanted" ending or the "sacrifice your life to save the universe" ending extremes. These were actually scaled down but contented endings for the characters in question, drawing many arcs to a general close.

I like where Peter ended up and it's kind of what he needed. To try to change that without a very good cause (and a sensible one -- I can't think of a good reason for a change either) feels more like a diminishment.

I also hope they don't pull some Gamora/Skrull hanky-panky either.

I mean, bottom line: That is the sort of crap that actual comic books are prone to, with the constant changing of the creative guard, but hey let's NOT be like actual comic books in this regard for once, and actually create real narrative arcs that aren't going to get redrawn by a new director?
I would imagine when they inevitably try to do a guardians 4 it might feel a lot like that. most reboots kinda feel like that to me. I just want one spiderman trilogy that isnt how spiderman got his powers. I would honestly rather see three movies of Peter Parker spidermaning around a nursing home as an old man than see one more kid get bitten by a radio active spider, like spiderman has so much cool stuff in his arc than just getting the spider powers and coming to understand with great power comes great responsibility. I want the six armed spiderman movie. Good insights and thought provoking as always @Totenkindly 😸

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Evil and a Heathen
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I remember hearing about Spiderman and "One Day More" and the outrage this caused (which seemed understandable to me. Was this the kind of stuff you are referring to?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I remember hearing about Spiderman and "One Day More" and the outrage this caused (which seemed understandable to me. Was this the kind of stuff you are referring to?
I don't know what that is.
There are so many examples though, it's the norm.

Take Jean Grey as an easy one. Or Carol Danvers.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Again, I'm so pleased that multiple films and different teams of creative writers took Gamora and Nebula's arcs through multiple films and made something coherent and moving out of it. Maybe it spoiled me, because I don't see the MCU able to do this anymore -- they've sucked since Endgame when it comes to arc development, because of a lack of coordination and meaningful plotting.

But hey I guess at least we got something good, once upon a time.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member

Again, I'm so pleased that multiple films and different teams of creative writers took Gamora and Nebula's arcs through multiple films and made something coherent and moving out of it. Maybe it spoiled me, because I don't see the MCU able to do this anymore -- they've sucked since Endgame when it comes to arc development, because of a lack of coordination and meaningful plotting.

But hey I guess at least we got something good, once upon a time.
And after all isnt that where all the best fairy tales like a cohesive cinematic universe live? And they all lived marketable ever after...Cinema is a flat circle.