• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Guardians of the Galaxy 3

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Disney is pulling some stuff off D+ and Hulu next week. One of them (MForce) is their four episodes about women characters in the MCU. I can't really watch the Scarlet Witch one because it's full of crap from the Film Not to be Named, but the Gamora one also looked at Nebula, Mantis, and women who worked on the film, so it was kind of cool. It makes sense that Zoe Saldana has a background in dance and looked up to Sigourney Weaver and other strong women when she was young -- all of her characters speak more through action than words, and Gamora moves very fluidly. Saldana says her key to cracking her physical style was a bullfighter and I can totally see that.

Also some comments by James Gunn, and I love him because he got choked/tears up as he's talking about Nebula and Gamora's relationship and the big reveal when Nebula is trying to kill Gamora and blurts out how Gamora always wanted to win but Nebula just wanted a sister. And then at the end when the camera pans back as Gamora goes towards Nebula (who almost strikes her)... and then gently hugs her. And Nebula doesn't know how to respond but eventually manages put her hands lightly on Gamora's back. Gunn says it's the first moment where Nebula is given an opportunity to accept love and yet doesn't even know to respond -- but it's the first step on her journey. (It's mirrored in Endgame where young Nebula refuses Gamora's hand to stand but wiser older Nebula is able to take it.)

This is what I loved about the best of MCU Phases 1-3 -- the character beats, not necessarily the action beats. It's what made the characters so special and what Guardians did better than most of the other films.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
One of the alternate character designs for Nebula for GotG3 -- interesting style change, to humanize her more.

1684947378853.png

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So I picked this up on 4K this week and rewatched (2nd viewing).

I actually laughed a lot this time, so that was good. I still feel like aside from the Rocket flashbacks that the format, plotting, and humor wasn't as good as the first two films. There was a really odd tonal difference with this film, I think the humor is more situational rather than overt (where the other films seemed to make goofy/quirky jokes and setups); here I was laughing more just at the absurdity of things... a station made of biological material, people giving each other the side-eye while watching a scene between other characters unfold, and so on.

It didn't feel as rational and direct as the first two, it was aiming more for emotional character completion... and i feel like it did that. Each character has arc set up earlier in the film (emotionally) and the film actually gets there. But the plot almost just felt like the goo holding the pie together rather than something neat in itself.

The Rocket sequences are very strong. It's hard to not get choked up while watching them. It's really clear that Gunn had those moments in his head for a long time. They also feel the most true -- young Rocket is actually Rocket. The character truly solidifies and everything makes sense. You get a real idea how exceptionally inventive/brilliant Rocket is, despite his brash and aggressive manner.

Zoe Saldana also really mugs the camera a lot as Gamora. She's angry, overt, oversized in her expressions, loud, aggressive. She practically snarls at the camera at times. It's amusing. It reminds me of how much she changed as part of the Guardians. There's always the possibility she might come to the Guardians one day, as she matures as a person, but right now she's where she needs to be and feels comfortable... and it's nice to see her grasp what a different version of herself might have valued in this timeline.

tl;dr -- i feel it was more enjoyable on second watch, maybe not as much as I enjoyed the first two, but I did enjoy the character arcs, and am very proud of Nebula. She had such a great three-film arc, even if not Gunn's pet character, and she got her due.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Last edited:

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
This was the best of the three. They topped themselves each time. Loved the ending. I'm capable of enjoying things that end relatively happily these days. I don't necessarily need it to include romantic hook-ups, either. Not everything needs to be dark, IMO.

I liked OP Groot (excellent, convincing FX, too). I also enjoyed seeing a lot of Mantis using her powers.

I don't think a solo Star Lord movie will work. I think I'd start to feel like I was watching Andy Dwyer.

Last edited:

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I know nothing about this character, but I enjoyed Adam Warlock. I liked his arc of being a bad guy constantly shit upon by everyone for not being very good at being a bad guy to finally just shrugging his shoulders and deciding to be a good guy. Seems like the sensible choice, really. And hey, the good guys would also let him have a cat.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I know nothing about this character, but I enjoyed Adam Warlock. I liked his arc of being a bad guy constantly shit upon by everyone for not being very good at being a bad guy to finally just shrugging his shoulders and deciding to be a good guy. Seems like the sensible choice, really. And hey, the good guys would also let him have a cat.
In the comic, he is created to start life as an adult as well but he has a more mature adult appearance and actually was part of the Infinity War/Stones arc and is instrumental in stopping Thanos. He was typically attached to the Soul Stone in some way. He and Pip were around a lot together (Pip shows up in the Eternals end credits scene, along with Eros, Thanos' brother.)

Gunn has put his own spin on these characters. I didn't mind this iteration at all, considering the Thanos arc is already over anyway, and Warlock is developing apart from the Soul Gem. I think the only part I didn't like was Ayesha not getting much to do and then just stupidly dying, she kinda got fridged to further Warlock's plot arc versus feeling like she had a purpose herself. It's kind of amusing he has all this power but has no idea how much damage he can cause or how to use it appropriately -- and also what he wants to actually fight for.

I read for the hug at the end, Warlock hadn't been included, and then Gunn talked to Poulter through the headsets to tell him to go over and join the hug -- part of the reason he looked kind of bewildered, but also fit with how the character would have felt.

Last edited: