• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ESTP? ENTJ? Something else? Help needed!

What's my type?

• ESTP

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • ENTJ

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

KarmaButterfly

Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm 3w4 sx/sp before anyone asks.

1)What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type?
I’m stuck between ESTP and ENTJ because both are extroverts, thinkers and use Se/Ni, which is all I can say about myself. I posted a thread a couple days ago about Ti vs Te because I find myself always siding wit Te but there’s a strong possibility is only because those who write on Ti misrepresent it and paint it in a bad light. So I can’t see myself in it.
I have doubts about being ESTP because I don’t relate to inferior Ni, I’m way too aware and careful of consequences. I’m also very much into theoretical subjects (like psychology, philosophy, theories on the nature and fabric of reality), and I see everywhere that they dislike and have no patience with these kind of topics. I spent a long time looking through the ESTP subforum and it just confirmed it to me. I even posted a thread on it that got completely ignored. ESTPs seem to see typology as a fun hobby, enjoying things like “the types as kitchen utensils”, memes and discussing how it can be applied to their sexual and romantic lives. Those things annoy me a lot, and typology is serious business for me. I can see the humor in it of course, but I take it seriously in terms of wanting to discuss it in depth and be accurate.
On the other hand I doubt I’m ENTJ because I’m not obsessed with productivity and only doing things that are useful. They are described as seeing doing tings that don’t contribute to a goal as waste of time, while I spend a lot of time doing what I like. I believe I’m too hedonistic and only go into serious business mode when it’s something I care about, or that is crucial to my life. I lack the discipline associated with ENTJs.

2) What do you yearn for in life? Why?
Happiness= me being excellent at what I do and getting recognized by it. It should go without saying that I need to be healthy as well.

3) What makes you feel inferior?
Being bad at things. Ineptitude is my enemy and since I’m competitive doing poorly compared to others is terrible. Or anything if its done in public.

4) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)
Consequences, cost benefit (pros and cons, the long term).

6) When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?

Quality and filling requirements if there are any. I used to stress myself out a lot about the results of every school project when I was young, until high school. Then I realized I was usually the only one who cared, so others would benefit from my hard work and get great grades for free. After that I still usually was the one to decide the theme we’d work on and a format, but beyond that I wouldn’t really care about other’s work or lack of. I only cared about my individual grade and being prepared for the actual presentation. A few years later I completely lost my marbles when one of the members of a group I was working with on an assignment in college just decided she could emailed me a copy and paste of a Wikipedia page as her “contribution”. I sent out a group email berating whoever may think it’s ok to do such a juvenile, lazy and disrespectful thing. I used those examples because I think it’s easier than trying to explain it.

7) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you? (Are you more prone to be hands on, to theorize, to memorize, etc)
It depends on the subject’s nature. Typology for example was something I learned by reading a lot about it and then checking its validity by comparing the theory against reality. That’s how I type people: it looks like a duck, talks like a duck, it’s a duck. If you have a good base of knowledge and a good discerning eye then typing is easy. I learned English by translating music lyrics, watching a lot of the same movies/tv shows first with English subtitles, then Portuguese, then with no subs. I learned to edit videos and pictures by watching some Youtube tutorials to get the basics.

8) How organized do you to think of yourself as?
My mind is organized I guess, because I greatly dislike vagueness, randomness and convoluted things. But I greatly struggle with keeping my things organized.

9) How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?
Many things are so ludicrous or illogical you can just discard them immediately, but if needed I Google it to check if they are true. I assume by “idea” you mean information/news, because otherwise the methods cited don’t make sense. If you actually mean a new idea like “Let’s open a record store” then I’ll discard them if the possibility, probability and logistics of it are small, or not even taken into consideration.

10) You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself?

Definitely the second option, not only do I have to keep true to my values and self but I also can’t stand people who don’t have their own or discard them to follow the herd.

11) Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speaks more than words?
Look before you jump is my natural way of being, but I’m also quite reactive. I don’t act irrationally by impulse, but I have a very quick response time.

12) How do you act when you're stressed out?
Isolate myself and will snap if interrupted, worse yet if people ask what’s wrong, because most of the time they won’t help at all.

13) What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?
I can’t stand people who can't separate feelings from reason and insist in making everything personal. People prone to self-victimization and whining. Using double standards, being over lenient and making up excuses for everything, intellectual laziness. The mental gymnastics of people who deny facts and create alternative narratives. Putting your preferences and affections before truth. Being vague, too indecisive and unwilling to take a stance. Carelessness, repeated mistakes, not doing what you said you'd do, showing up late, not behaving well in public, not pulling their weight, trying to lie or fool me in any way (especially if it's unnecessary), trying to emotionally manipulate me or guilt trip me, trying to sweet talk me into doing things instead of asking me directly, snooping around on my private business, being less than courteous to me. Lack of independent and critical thinking (in other words, stupidity), attention seeking behavior.

14) What kind of things do pay the least attention to in your life?
House chores.

15) How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? ? What would your friends never say about your personality ?
They come for me so I can advise them on people ("should I trust them?", "is he/she into me?", "why is x mad at me?", things like that) or important decisions ("which option should I take?", “do I do y or z”). I help them see the pros and cons and probable consequences, and how to get out of difficult situations they find themselves in. I guess I'm as good at giving advice to others as I am at ignoring the ones they give me. I was always seen as confident and secure in myself, which was not always the case. I never shared my insecurities so they couldn’t have known. I think no one would say I’m an easy going person.

16) How curious are you? Do you have more ideas then you can execute? What are your curiosities about? What are your ideas about - is it environmental or conceptual, and can you please elaborate?
I’m highly curious but only about what interests me. I don’t have a lot of ideas, but the ones I have are really good. I’m curious about how people really are, how things really work backstage in companies and industries I’m interested about, how things I like come to be (I LOVE documentaries). My ideas are varied, as anyone else’s I’m sure, they are not limited by a niche.

17) Would you enjoy taking on a leadership position? Do you think you would be good at it? What would your leadership style be?
My whole life I was put into leadership roles and most of the time I didn’t want it because of the bad experiences I had early on: people tend to be lazy and incompetent, and the leader has to either micromanage them to secure results, or take on the work themselves. I never asked why people always chose me, I guess it’s because I’m the responsible one who appears to know what they’re doing. I did take up leadership myself many times though, because people didn’t know what they were doing at all. I always got good results, so I think I’m good at it. My style depends on whether the team is capable or not: if they are them I’ll ask for their opinions and discuss things with them, if they are incompetent I’ll just tell them what to do and will take all decisions myself.

18) What's your opinion about the past, present, and future? How do you deal with them?
The past is there to teach lessons and hold good memories, I hate people who are stuck in it. I live in the present but it can’t be divorced from the future.

19) Do you need logical consistency in your life?
Yes, I have a really hard time with things or people who are inconsistent and illogical. I myself detect when I’m contradicting myself and correct it.

20) Do you control others, even if indirectly? How and why do you do that?
I have to say yes, even tough I don’t see it because I’ve been told I do. It only happens with my mom and my grandma, which I believe is both because they need it (terrible decisions health wise, and negligence of paperwork and finances) and because we’re so close. I have to admit I have many disapproving thoughts which might be an indirect controlling tendency.

21) How good are you at strategizing? Do you easily break up projects into manageable tasks? Or do you have a tendency to wing projects and improvise as you go?
When I receive a project I just know what to do in what order and what resources I’ll need, I never really thought about it past that. “This is what I have to do” is what I just know. Winging and improvising is something I never did except once as a teenager with a minor literature presentation.

22) How attached are you to reality? Do you daydream often, or do you pay attention to what's around you? If you do daydream, are you aware of your surroundings while you do so?
I’m very realistic and objective, but I do for sure daydream a lot. I think the difference between me and people that annoy me is that I’m very aware of the divide between imagination and reality. I’m generally very aware of my surroundings.

23) Do you ever catch yourself agreeing with others just to appease them and keep the conversation going? How often? Why?
No, never, detest those who do. Even if they are doing it to me.

24) What am I comfortable with?
Being on top of things. Having freedom and autonomy, having my space and privacy respected, being able to follow my curiosity and dedicating my time to things that excite me. "Show, don't tell" is one of my mottos, so I don’t brag or make promises, I prefer to let my work (and self) speak for itself.

Burning Paradigm

Vibe Curator & Night Owl
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Hi, [MENTION=32873]KarmaButterfly[/MENTION]! Welcome to the forum; hope you've found everything and everyone nice so far!

My vote's ESTP with strong aux-Ti (side note: I think a lot of the MBTI descriptions do S types dirty, coming just short of saying their intelligence is inferior to N types because of how "quickly" they grasp "theoretical" things; I wouldn't use that as a determinant of your type). I see more of a Ti/Fe axis; there seems to be more of a focus on what makes sense or is logical to you internally (Ti). There's more of an emphasis on independent, internal thinking, whereas a Te-dom would be more focused on trying to organize their external environment in a logical way. Sometimes, TP's who are 3's or with a strong 3-fix (like myself) can assume stereotypical xxTJ traits because that's what expected in realms of accomplishment and image. I also say ESTP because your thought process is more focused on what is rather than needing to read additional meaning or possibilities into something (as you put it, "a duck is a duck is a duck") --> S-dom.

KarmaButterfly

Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=40720]Burner[/MENTION] Thanks a lot for the input :bye: