• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Don't follow your passion

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't really do anything at my job that I am passionate about. This works to my advantage because then I don't let my emotions cloud my logic and decision-making. I have dealt with way too many people who run high on emotion and ego because you are getting in the way of their "passion".

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't really do anything at my job that I am passionate about. This works to my advantage because then I don't let my emotions cloud my logic and decision-making. I have dealt with way too many people who run high on emotion and ego because you are getting in the way of their "passion".

My ideal is to come up with and find a job that honors what I value in this world, while still being a role that fits my personality. That's a work in progress.

Currently, my job might be similar to yours, in that I'm not passionate about the work/field itself, BUT I find many aspects enjoyable, really like the lifestyle, and it fits my personality a whole lot better than previous jobs.

I disagree with those who say simply to do what you're good at, because I'll be honest, I can DO and excel at many things, but that took me down a kind of miserable direction for a while, not fitting many other aspects of my personality.

So I think there's a balance between doing what you're good at, AND it being something you don't mind/like/enjoy. Also I think some of this varies by personality and also a persons' life values, ie some people may not want the tradeoff of what comes with a super high responsibility/challenging job, some people may not care a whole lot about career, some people may place great value in these things, etc.

Blackout

Permabanned
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Actually related: when I was little I wanted to be a custodian at Disney World. Like legitimately. It just seemed like a simple task to do in such a happy environment. So some people can take joys in the simple things, but I don't think you could say this for every sort of job.

Interestingly, my brother is going down there in few weeks and will be working custodial lol!!

Well yes, there's nothing wrong with that either.

It's sad though, don't blame the dreamers, place all the obsessive zealot workaholic corporate monkeys who despise anyone who doesn't have a relentless desire to be "successful"

Blame the people who think that if you don't have some really highly sought after profession, if you're not fighting tooth and nail to get one, and always trying to succeed then you are a capital "loser"

Blame them.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I disagree with this. It may be true for unrealistic upper middle class dreamers, who might all want to be photographers...but being working class and practical made me pursue top less dancing and freelance writing. Now I make decent and psychologically satisfied money from massage therapy and pursue environmental issues which give me hope and purpose for life in the way some people follow entertainment. Please do what you are good at, cooking, massage or teaching, because honestly you are unhappy and lost otherwise. I know a 4 fashion designer who found her meaning with Bernie. I found it in teaching children ecology. Find what you can't function without. I will not function without trees, for you it might be elementary school or acting..

Silent

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Do what pays well for your career, but let your hobbies be where you partake in your passion. I have to survive financially. I want to enjoy life. Therefor, I work to live and party to play.:D

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'll let you know how this advice works out.

What I'd truly rather be doing is, I think, on the dreamy and pretentious side, so I keep it private at this time. The plan is to focus on getting out of my student debt first because of how much that aggravates this inner conflict, and only after that re-evaluate the place of passion in my priorities and begin to take greater risks in their service. To that end, I'm pushing myself hard at a job I'm decidedly not passionate about so I can make bigger payments toward the objective.

This is from someone who, when they were younger, didn't give a damn about anything but their own personal passions and as a result missed a number of practical opportunities that would have actually supported my desires better in the long term. So, today there is an element of reaction formation in my turnaround where I'll tend to underestimate the importance of my individual needs and preferences in a workplace and not bring them up until I'm circling burnout and it's a must. That is from anger at the past self, and fear that putting down the workahol could spiral into a return of the college-aged princess, but I'm gradually getting over that and speaking up a little sooner each time it's an issue.

And then sometimes I do find something in my current workplace that I love, a cool surprise where I wasn't expecting it. This is where the rigidness of my five-year schedule breaks down a bit. These finds mean a lot to me and are worth setting limits to defend.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'm not going to do anything that doesn't make me happy. I've wasted enough of my life that way.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'll let you know how this advice works out.

What I'd truly rather be doing is, I think, on the dreamy and pretentious side, so I keep it private at this time. The plan is to focus on getting out of my student debt first because of how much that aggravates this inner conflict, and only after that re-evaluate the place of passion in my priorities and begin to take greater risks in their service. To that end, I'm pushing myself hard at a job I'm decidedly not passionate about so I can make bigger payments toward the objective.

This is from someone who, when they were younger, didn't give a damn about anything but their own personal passions and as a result missed a number of practical opportunities that would have actually supported my desires better in the long term. So, today there is an element of reaction formation in my turnaround where I'll tend to underestimate the importance of my individual needs and preferences in a workplace and not bring them up until I'm circling burnout and it's a must. That is from anger at the past self, and fear that putting down the workahol could spiral into a return of the college-aged princess, but I'm gradually getting over that and speaking up a little sooner each time it's an issue.

And then sometimes I do find something in my current workplace that I love, a cool surprise where I wasn't expecting it. This is where the rigidness of my five-year schedule breaks down a bit. These finds mean a lot to me and are worth setting limits to defend.

Yes sometimes practical work can give you the money and/or flexibility to work on your passion. Servers in middle to high end restaurants can make full time money in part time hours if they find the right restaurant, especially in a city, but I think there's a reason why mothers do it in small towns, and not just because it's "sexist" but because it can give them 10-20 more hours per week with their kids than a 9 to 5.

I recently took a part time job I was hesitant to do at first: getting people to sign petitions. It looked boring and iffy, but you're essentially self employed, make your own hours, and there are tricks to getting more signatures. You can also deny petitions you don't agree with, and my first one is about environmental zoning laws, so funnily enough I'm still doing something I feel passionate about.

A friend of mine from long ago suffered a major illness which changed his life (and his politics) which prevented him from working at a practical corporate desk job. But now the experience he got with that gave him the opportunity to work from home, now, and travel for work. He also says he's become a minimalist and learned to put less money into a few quality items instead of accumulating crap. Sometimes a few years at a dull practical job can prepare you to do other things.

Being an independent contractor as a dancer taught me skills I've needed later on to be self employed.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
what if the passions are profitable?
That depends on where you believe one's passions come from. How much of a choice do we have in what we fall in love with? That's something I wonder a lot.

But after that, we do have more of a choice of what we do with that love.

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
That depends on where you believe one's passions come from. How much of a choice do we have in what we fall in love with? That's something I wonder a lot.

But after that, we do have more of a choice of what we do with that love.

I believe that love is an act of choice, an act of will, very much as Erich Fromm described long ago.

But I would amend that by saying that it is often an unconscious choice.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I believe that love is an act of choice, an act of will, very much as Erich Fromm described long ago.

That is now I've conceptualized romantic love, but I hadn't thought before of applying the principle to other kinds of love. Much to think about here.

small.wonder

So she did.
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Oh, this topic. Goody. I think I somehow mean that both enthusiastically, and with sarcasm, at the same time.

This subject (passion: to follow or not to follow, and how much blood loss that will entail?) has been the story of my life, it seems. I've always been kind of obstinate about it, wanting to do what I love, the child version of me lived with a mentality of unsinkable belief in dreams-- which obviously invites jabs and attempted slashings from others, mostly through shaming, eye-rolling and discouragement. So my faith in dreams took some serious hits, which left me bitter, insecure and cynical for years and years.

But even after healing (over years) from that bitterness (blah blah, I know I've told my story here too many times), I still was in this invisible bondage when it came to using my gifts-- or really feeling allowed to believe I could do what I loved and succeed at it. It's only been in the last few years that I've been figuring that out, and actually being able to do my thing with confidence again.

To many of the other comments made on this topic, I totally worked part time doing mundane things for awhile-- but mundane things that still allowed me to be me. I was a Nanny for five years part time, which allowed me to start my own (very) small business in 2011. It really started as a hobby (as some of you have mentioned) but grew. In May I made the decision to expand it into something more. Is it going to be awesome and support me fully? Heck, I don't know, but maybe! I think that's the thing I've learned most about pursuing our passions: it always always requires risk and friendship with the unknown. If you can't roll the dice, speak "stupid" ideas out loud, and move forward even when no one else gets it-- well, then you may be better off not following your passion (as this thread is titled), because there's just no other way.

I have too much passion, I've mostly found. But it kind of works for me, when I stop overthinking and get comfortable with the notion of failure. It's only then that I've actually been able to do what I love. Not that I've mastered this at all, I'm just finally starting to get how it works.

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member
Unabashedly believe in following one’s passion. That doesn’t always apply to doing a job that you love. And, in following passion one also needs to have options and reasonable expectations.

My Dad was instrumental in making me believe that I could accomplish anything. However, this wasn’t by telling me I was ‘special’ and sending me forth unequipped.

He started reading to me when I was still in the crib. He read books like Tom Sawyer, Robinson Crusoe and Lord of the Rings. This allowed me to read before I was 4. He grilled me on multiplication tables as we drove and he made learning about things like: science, cultures and art FUN.

He let me know that passion was vital but so was practical hard work, determination, loyalty, grit and adaptableness. If something I really wanted didn’t work out he’d ask what my personal accountability was. Then, he’d have me do an “autopsy” to see where things went off the path.

These lessons helped me lead with passion while still tempering my expectations of what will be, and brainstorming accessory plans for if the lead plan fails.

My Dad also let me know that love has intangible chemistry and can’t be ‘willed into existence’. Not to waste self-esteem or energy on romantic pursuits that don’t flow or where the reward isn’t equal to the investment.

Right now I am pursuing a new career field that I am interested in, but not passionate about. I am SUPER into paying my bills and being able to fund travel and the other life pursuits important to me.

Sometimes, putting energy into things we care less about, about allows us to invest in other things we DO find passion in :)

Congrats on expanding your venture ^ [MENTION=17697]small.wonder[/MENTION]! Very cool :)

Originally Posted by uumlau

That is now I've conceptualized romantic love, but I hadn't thought before of applying the principle to other kinds of love. Much to think about here.

[MENTION=17945]Alaska[/MENTION] ^ and [MENTION=9310]uumlau[/MENTION], I am in agreement here. I am a STRONG believer in the success of long-term relationships (romantic & otherwise) being predicated on continuing to ‘choose the person’.

Sometimes, the feeling is unconscious certainly :)

Other times (caring for an ill parent when it presents practical challenges, choosing not to hold on to hurts or misunderstandings a mate has dealt, dealing with the appearance of a child with mental disadvantages) mean that a conscious decision to love is necessary.

Permabanned
Unabashedly believe in following one’s passion. That doesn’t always apply to doing a job that you love. And, in following passion one also needs to have options and reasonable expectations.

My Dad was instrumental in making me believe that I could accomplish anything. However, this wasn’t by telling me I was ‘special’ and sending me forth unequipped.

He started reading to me when I was still in the crib. He read books like Tom Sawyer, Robinson Crusoe and Lord of the Rings. This allowed me to read before I was 4. He grilled me on multiplication tables as we drove and he made learning about things like: science, cultures and art FUN.

He let me know that passion was vital but so was practical hard work, determination, loyalty, grit and adaptableness. If something I really wanted didn’t work out he’d ask what my personal accountability was. Then, he’d have me do an “autopsy” to see where things went off the path.

These lessons helped me lead with passion while still tempering my expectations of what will be, and brainstorming accessory plans for if the lead plan fails.

My Dad also let me know that love has intangible chemistry and can’t be ‘willed into existence’. Not to waste self-esteem or energy on romantic pursuits that don’t flow or where the reward isn’t equal to the investment.

Right now I am pursuing a new career field that I am interested in, but not passionate about. I am SUPER into paying my bills and being able to fund travel and the other life pursuits important to me.

Sometimes, putting energy into things we care less about, about allows us to invest in other things we DO find passion in :)

Congrats on expanding your venture ^ @<a href="http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/members/17697.html" target="_blank">small.wonder</a>! Very cool :)

@<a href="http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/members/17945.html" target="_blank">Alaska</a> ^ and @<a href="http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/members/9310.html" target="_blank">uumlau</a>, I am in agreement here. I am a STRONG believer in the success of long-term relationships (romantic & otherwise) being predicated on continuing to ‘choose the person’.

Sometimes, the feeling is unconscious certainly :)

Other times (caring for an ill parent when it presents practical challenges, choosing not to hold on to hurts or misunderstandings a mate has dealt, dealing with the appearance of a child with mental disadvantages) mean that a conscious decision to love is necessary.

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member

Great movie. Nice scene. The way your brain retains info to pull out at a later date is a joy to behold.

Hey, I forgot to respond to the post about basic income and now I can't find it again.

Like rural Manitoba all over again :) I will try to look back and find it so as to respond proper like...

Permabanned
Great movie. Nice scene. The way your brain retains info to pull out at a later date is a joy to behold.

Hey, I forgot to respond to the post about basic income and now I can't find it again.

Like rural Manitoba all over again :) I will try to look back and find it so as to respond proper like...

perks of being ISTJ ;)

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If you have to take a general consensus about what to do with your life, you may as well just ignore any passion that you have.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I believe that following your passion may be great if it has been consistent in your life. 5 years ago I was definitely into music, and I am still definitely into music. And my interests don't change rapidly. When I was younger, I loved dance music. Now I love dance music even more. Lol.

It's essentially find something that you can do to benefit people (but what "benefits" people?) Art can, especially. So if you had art in your mind, still do it. Anything you love doing most likely will give value to others.

I don't like how he implies that what's "valuable" are do the "shoulds" in life, be a doctor, an engineer, lawyer, etc. Lol... These are all extremely tough, and while very noble in their respects, not everyone can do the "should jobs"

Therefore, do what you love and don't let society tell you what you "should" do.

You are worth it. Don't do something and expect you're later down in the road to love it. It'll lead to unhappiness and unfulfilled expectations.