• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Does having an avatar with a face on it make that poster seem more human?

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I have always wondered if having a face on your profile as opposed to say objects,landscapes e.t.c will make you appear more relateble to others. For me personally it doesnt seem to make that much difference but i would imagine it would do so for others.

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
that's an interesting question... it doesn't to me, but i am curious what others may say... i can say that "celebrity avatars" tend to annoy the shit out of me, unless there is a good fucking reason for them (i am a bit drunk)...

I always envision a person's avatar speaking for the user in their post. However, I look at their avatar and think more about the general vibe it gives off than the physical aspect of it being a human or not. There are times, though, that I think the user looks like their avatar if it is a human, so I have to remind myself that many aren't actually their avatars. :tongue:

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
The avatar of a user does affect my view of them, but not in a 'you seem more relatable because you have a human profile pic' way. It makes me reevaluate what you want to get out of TypeC, how mature you are, and in some cases, if I should put in actual effort talking to them.

Ambrose

Enneagram
4w5
Yeah, this may not be correct but I feel like based off the type of avatar someone has, I can judge what kind of person they are, although I doubt I actually have the talent to do so. If someone has a human face for an avatar, I do tend to think that's what the person looks like, but that is rarely the case. If they have an avatar of something really goofy or strange to me, I'd think twice about talking to them, but it might just be me reading into it too much.

To answer the thread's question, I think at first glance if someone has a picture that's human or some type of humanoid on it, it does make me feel somewhat more relateable to them as I don't see them as just a cartoon face or an abstract drawing, at least until I get to know them better.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
What does it mean if my avatar's face is cut out of the photo? :shock:

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
What does it mean if my avatar's face is cut out of the photo? :shock:

It means that you are ashamed to show your true nature to the world perhaps or you are just shy?. Out of curoisty what type of person does my profile show me to be. (Anyone can answer).

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It means that you are ashamed to show your true nature to the world perhaps or you are just shy?. Out of curoisty what type of person does my profile show me to be. (Anyone can answer).

someone with good taste... that movie was funny...

Hitoshi-San

MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
???
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
to me, if the person has an avatar that isn't a person, I get the impression that they might be more reserved or serious than someone who has a person as an avatar. Idk why that is.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've had people strongly associate me with my avatar. When I had a b&w photo of Tilda Swinton making an eye-rolling face, people interpreted my tone as harsher. A few began to imagine I have similar features to her. Then they saw my actual photo :D. I look nothing like Tilda Swinton.

When I switched to this avatar, I got all this positive feedback. It apparently makes a better impression, and I notice people are interpreting my tone more accurately. I DO choose an avatar I identify with in some way. It is not simply an image I like.

I think if there was not a person in my avatar, then a vibe may still come across, but yeah, I imagine it would be more abstract than a direct association with the face in the avatar.

julesiscools

MBTI Type
ISFP
I generally choose an avatar that I closely relate with - or simply like the vibe it gives off. I don't really relate anyone to their avatars, though. More the name they choose to go by.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't know. Isn't it supposed to be similar to wearing a mask?

Galaxy Gazer

Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think I actually prefer when people don't have a face in their avatar, for some reason. I guess I'd rather see a reflection of someone's personality than a model/celebrity/character that they think is attractive. Plus, I tend to associate people with their avatars if they have faces, even if they look nothing like them. I used to know this guy who had his avatar set as Tsunade from Naruto, and I always imagined him as looking like her :')

(also this only applies to human faces. animal avatars are the best.)

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think I actually prefer when people don't have a face in their avatar, for some reason. I guess I'd rather see a reflection of someone's personality than a model/celebrity/character that they think is attractive. Plus, I tend to associate people with their avatars if they have faces, even if they look nothing like them. I used to know this guy who had his avatar set as Tsunade from Naruto, and I always imagined him as looking like her :')

(also this only applies to human faces. animal avatars are the best.)

What makes you think a famous face is chosen because it's attractive? What if that celebrity has some quality that does reflect the person? Or maybe their vibe/expression in the photo reflects the person?

Mole

Permabanned
I don't see much advantage for Mole trying to look more human. I would prefer to draw attention to my black velvet smoking coat, sure, don't be shy, you can touch it. See how velvety and warm it feels, and realise I wear it every day, and I even wear it to bed.

Sometimes as I warm myself in the sunlight in summer, and before the fire in winter, I sometimes think it is too good for me. But what can I do?

Litsnob

I judge people by their avatars, though I am willing to have my initial judgement proven wrong. For that reason I have huge difficulty choosing an avatar for myself as it then simultaneously seems very important and yet not important at all. This probably explains why my current avatar is an avocado. Most avatars look too try-hard to me. Here is a chance to manipulate how people perceive you and use of an avatar automatically makes me assume someone is trying to manipulate my perception.

Yes, I want you to think I am really an avocado.

Firebird 8118

DJ Phoenix
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Doesn't really matter to me, honestly. We're all human anyway. I don't necessarily need to see someone's face in order to connect with that person emotionally.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I judge people by their avatars, though I am willing to have my initial judgement proven wrong. For that reason I have huge difficulty choosing an avatar for myself as it then simultaneously seems very important and yet not important at all. This probably explains why my current avatar is an avocado. Most avatars look too try-hard to me. Here is a chance to manipulate how people perceive you and use of an avatar automatically makes me assume someone is trying to manipulate my perception.
Interesting. If I want to manipulate someone's perception, I will put far more effort into my words than my avatar. I usually choose those by inspiration, though the inspiration shows me a picture in my head, and the effort is in finding an actual image file I can use.

Litsnob

Interesting. If I want to manipulate someone's perception, I will put far more effort into my words than my avatar. I usually choose those by inspiration, though the inspiration shows me a picture in my head, and the effort is in finding an actual image file I can use.

Being the Judging McJudgerson that I am, I am judging people by their words too. :D But when I look at an avatar I always think hmmm what is this person hoping I will get form this.