• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do you feel like INTJ's see through you?

á´…eparted

passages
Well one of my high school mentors was INTJ and she saw right through me (in a good way). She had smazing people insight, so it can happen.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If we are talking “death stare” ... yes. If we’re talking “significant insight into my psyche, knows me better than I know myself”... no.
I was going to add a comment about the highlighted, but you beat me to it. I understand that people often feel as though we are studying them, or analyzing them, as if they are samples under a microscope, whether because of a "death stare"/focused gaze, or our general demeanor. Even if we are studying them, however, "significant insight into the psyche" is not what we will pick up, or even what we are usually looking for.

INTJs see well though BS that various people say, not their persona.
This, too.

PumpkinMayCare

𝓛ιкєтнє𝓓єνi lмαу
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
No. I had other types see through me. Mostly INFJs they were, I think - or INFP's. Not quite sure. But certainly not INTJs. They tend not to get me, haha.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
@ Op: not even remotely.

Te is just too ill equipped to read and manipulate people to the degree they wish.

This, though I find the prospect of an actual INTJ wishing to be effectively manipulative or basing their identity on the ability to "see through" people highly unlikely. I've seen people who are effectively manipulative (and/or who have delusions of grandeur about "seeing through people) identify as INTJ, but I find it difficult to believe they're profiled correctly.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
Mostly just the 584s (in any order but that's the most likely I'd think). This is true for all Scholar archetypes... that's what they do (not saying they are right all the time, but overall very insightful into human nature and the dark crevices of the human psyche).

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
Most of my INTJ friends aren't really that interested in people outside of sport and work. We dont really "small talk" well, I mean it works for us, but I cant imagine what it sounds like to outsiders, I care more than they do; and otherwise we're usually too busy doing other stuff to like sit around and stare at each other. (sometimes we do though) ((it gets...weird))

"it's like two house cats that have been accidentally turned into people and just sort of sit and not blink at each other." (phrase coined by friend's S/O)

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
No, they dont relate much to me and they arent very good at seeing what they cant relate to, much less see through it

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Coming at this from the opposite side, I say that people have a tendency to see things in me that aren't there. I think it is because I don't tend to see feel or show that much emotion. People often mistake neutrality for judgement. If I look through someone, it's not because of my profound understanding of the inner workings of there soul. It's because I can't think of anything to say.

Starry

I was going to add a comment about the highlighted, but you beat me to it. I understand that people often feel as though we are studying them, or analyzing them, as if they are samples under a microscope, whether because of a "death stare"/focused gaze, or our general demeanor. Even if we are studying them, however, "significant insight into the psyche" is not what we will pick up, or even what we are usually looking for.

I'm happy someone understood and was able to articulate what I had wanted to express but didn't quite have it together enough to do so.

I had the opportunity to read the OP prior to it being modified and mentioned 'death stare' because I had been left to wonder if death stare/hyper focus/serious observation/dissection...basically "sees through" in a nearly literal sense ...was being taken for a more figurative understanding of the term in the INTJ descriptions by the OP. Sort of the Fe dom's version of "sees through you"...because I've personally never read an INTJ description that included a "profound insight into the thoughts and feelings of others" as a common type-related feature. To the contrary...I've most often read the opposite. That the highly confident and capable INTJ is quite likely to be left baffled and feeling unsure when it comes to "all things other people" and social dynamics/situations. It is not until later in life...probably coinciding some with the development of Fi that they start to feel more competent in the social arena and like they won't inadvertently reduce several people to tears when at a party or whatever.

I could be wrong though. It's not like I've read all the INTJ descriptions in existence or anything. But from all I have encountered I've never gotten the sense that "understanding people" came naturally for the INTJ.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Coming at this from the opposite side, I say that people have a tendency to see things in me that aren't there. I think it is because I don't tend to see feel or show that much emotion. People often mistake neutrality for judgement. If I look through someone, it's not because of my profound understanding of the inner workings of there soul. It's because I can't think of anything to say.
This is frequently my experience as well. If I am looking at someone, I may in fact be studying them, but not to learn their inner workings. If I appear to be looking through someone, it means I am simply focused on something beyond them, or on nothing at all and they are merely in my direct line of sight.

I could be wrong though. It's not like I've read all the INTJ descriptions in existence or anything. But from all I have encountered I've never gotten the sense that "understanding people" came naturally for the INTJ.
If you read carefully, you will see that the descriptions usually say, "Other people often feel as if the INTJ can see right through them". This is quite different from the INTJ actually being able to do so, and says more about how others perceive us than about our actual preferences or abilities, not unrelated to Andy's comment above.

Starry

If you read carefully, you will see that the descriptions usually say, "Other people often feel as if the INTJ can see right through them". This is quite different from the INTJ actually being able to do so, and says more about how others perceive us than about our actual preferences or abilities, not unrelated to Andy's comment above.

Oooooohhh ok...I totally missed that!!! In spite of having read it...I vaguely recall now ( <- this kind of thing appears in the ENFP descriptions I believe... “Other people often feel the ENFP understands everything that is being said directly to them...”). Thank you for reiterating that for me.

I’d be really interested in hearing from people that have felt that way in the presence of an INTJ as I can’t say I ever have. I have read reports of others feeling intimidated by INTJs as well and this may be a component of that.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
Oooooohhh ok...I totally missed that!!! In spite of having read it...I vaguely recall now ( <- this kind of thing appears in the ENFP descriptions I believe... “Other people often feel the ENFP understands everything that is being said directly to them...”). Thank you for reiterating that for me.

I’d be really interested in hearing from people that have felt that way in the presence of an INTJ as I can’t say I ever have. I have read reports of others feeling intimidated by INTJs as well and this may be a component of that.

I've had experiences with multiple INTJs with my tritype where they had a natural understanding of obscured parts of me. I think that's a very particular and rare connection though.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=7480]TSDesigner[/MENTION]: I usually feel misunderstood by INTJs, rather than them "being able to see right through me."

Maybe it's having some kind of introversion + thinking and intuitive bent (so you'd think we could connect easily) but this leads to too many assumptions about where each other is coming from.

I have a great working relationship with some INTJs but it's more about focusing on what each other actually says and does rather than trying to interpret each other a certain way.

Starry

I've had experiences with multiple INTJs with my tritype where they had a natural understanding of obscured parts of me. I think that's a very particular and rare connection though.

Thanks for this. And yah, I am in agreement with you that The Scholar has a line-up that compels them to really seek out a comprehensive understanding of others and the human condition. Like, I think Nietzsche was a Scholar.

My experience with INTJs is once they get me...then they really get me. But the Starry learning curve appears to be steep with this type with what I believe is an overly cautious need to self-preserve interfering with their ability to understand me as well as a tendency to judge me and my behavior and actions based on some measure they acquired from the past (like someone else said or did in their past experience what I said or did in the present...and they assign the past meaning to me) <-Again, once we get past that then I feel known and trusted.

Still, there will be “misses”...but no more in number than there are with any other type (although perhaps greater in strength as my dad did ask me the other night if I had ever considered becoming a truck driver wtf? I honest to god can’t think of an occupation more ill-fitted for everything about me. Someone’s a little worried about Starry becoming a homesteader haha.)

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=7480]TSDesigner[/MENTION]: I usually feel misunderstood by INTJs, rather than them "being able to see right through me."

Maybe it's having some kind of introversion + thinking and intuitive bent (so you'd think we could connect easily) but this leads to too many assumptions about where each other is coming from.

I have a great working relationship with some INTJs but it's more about focusing on what each other actually says and does rather than trying to interpret each other a certain way.
There is definitely something to the highlighted. Even after > 15 years together, I still have to remind my INTP of this, and most of our arguments involve a failure to keep that in mind.

Still, there will be “misses”...but no more in number than there are with any other type (although perhaps greater in strength as my dad did ask me the other night if I had ever considered becoming a truck driver wtf? I honest to god can’t think of an occupation more ill-fitted for everything about me. Someone’s a little worried about Starry becoming a homesteader haha.)
Well, when I explained the basics of MBTI to my Dad (ISTJ) once, he immediately declared I must be an extravert, so go figure. Sometimes those closest to us have some serious blind spots. Of course I am much more outgoing, if that's the right word, with my immediate family and can be quite outspoken and forceful about what I think should be done, which probably contributed to his assessment.

Snow as White

ƃuıǝǝs | seeing
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
the only thing i have noticed is that piercing fixation that Ni-Te users can have at times when they are focused on you.

i think they are good at detecting bs in other people and not being afraid to call it out. and i think they can be good at getting an idea of you, which sometimes can be illuminating and other times can be off-putting.

my bf's dad is an ENTJ in charge of quite a few businesses and people. he is pretty good at figuring out the concept of the type of person he is dealing with, ie, are they going to be helpful to the goals or a hindrance. but not in terms of "i bet you had a difficult childhood." ;)

Starry

Well, when I explained the basics of MBTI to my Dad (ISTJ) once, he immediately declared I must be an extravert, so go figure. Sometimes those closest to us have some serious blind spots.

haha I love this. Based in large part to the fact that all throughout my childhood my ENFJ Mom would introduce me to people as “One of her introverted children” ha!

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I can see through them, and them with me. It's so much fun, though.