• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Commercial poetry

StarFollowed

Stardust
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I find that commercial poetry (like Rupi Kaur and Sin, and Amanda Lovelace, etc.) has become popular not for moving, breathing words, but for its’ simplicity and “relatability”, as in the feeling of “anyone could write this.” While I’m not discreaditing the painful experiences the authors have been through, I find that we need to call these people writers and not poets, since what these writers are writing is not poetry, rather, they are tumblr quotes that anyone can reblog. “Insta-poets” have abused the platform of social media to turn poetry, a great art many will never be able to master, into a cliched, overhyped outlet.

For instance, Rupi Kaur has taken poetry workshops, and asked her teachers how to publish her work and they told her. She submitted her work and got a lot of rejections. Instead of letting those rejections fuel her to improve on her craft, she arrogantly believed that she was not being published because of her race, not for her poor quality of work.
So she self-published until she became picked-up by a publishing house.

This
Is. Not.
Poetry, okay?