• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Cold war 2.0

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This drama over the missing wind turbine that's supposedly the reason for greatly reduced Russian gas supplies to Germany via Nord Stream 1 is getting weirder and weirder.

From what I gather the turbine underwent maintenance work in Canada. The Russians said they can't deliver more gas until that turbine is back in Europe. Germany asked Canada to please violate their own sanctions and deliver the turbine back to Europe. The turbine is now in a Siemens hall in Germany. Russia says they are willing to deliver the gas as soon as the turbine is installed again, but says there are still technical issues. Ex-chancelor Schröder (a.k.a. the Putin-hugger), is telling the German media Siemens is to blame. Meanwhile current chancelor Scholz is giving a press conference literally standing in front of the turbine and saying it is in perfect working order, all papers are there and Russia is making up excuses.

My best guess is that they are simply trying to pressure Germany into opening Nord Stream 2.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
This drama over the missing wind turbine that's supposedly the reason for greatly reduced Russian gas supplies to Germany via Nord Stream 1 is getting weirder and weirder.

From what I gather the turbine underwent maintenance work in Canada. The Russians said they can't deliver more gas until that turbine is back in Europe. Germany asked Canada to please violate their own sanctions and deliver the turbine back to Europe. The turbine is now in a Siemens hall in Germany. Russia says they are willing to deliver the gas as soon as the turbine is installed again, but says there are still technical issues. Ex-chancelor Schröder (a.k.a. the Putin-hugger), is telling the German media Siemens is to blame. Meanwhile current chancelor Scholz is giving a press conference literally standing in front of the turbine and saying it is in perfect working order, all papers are there and Russia is making up excuses.

My best guess is that they are simply trying to pressure Germany into opening Nord Stream 2.

But there is something kinda related to this that I wanted to ask you. Germany got the new administration not so long ago that is to the left of the previous one. However is there any actual left wing shifts in the economy for the average people ? Or the war consumed all of that and everything is on hold ? (I am simply curious)

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
But there is something kinda related to this that I wanted to ask you. Germany got the new administration not so long ago that is to the left of the previous one. However is there any actual left wing shifts in the economy for the average people ? Or the war consumed all of that and everything is on hold ? (I am simply curious)

Well, as you know, the SPD was already part of the Merkel government coalition and the Greens and the FDP often cancel each other out. Covid and the war have also diverted attention from other projects. So far they have increased the minimum wage and will increase it again in October, but that had already been decided a few months before the last election and the new government is simply implementing the previous government's decision. They have also reformed, simplified and slightly improved unemployment benefits. There are probably a few more points in the coalition contract that they haven't gotten around to yet.

What I can tell you is that they presented themselves as the "coalition of renewal" but it's hard to get things done because the FDP is usually against anything that means fiscal investment in infrastructures, might temporarily hurt the industry or higher income people or mostly benefits lower income people.

However, in my experience (and I remember you asked me about the gas crises and how I see the upcoming winter) whenever there is a real acute crises (like the pandemic or the war or sudden refugee waves) Germany tends to throw money at the problem to make it go away rather than implement deep reforms. We suck at deep reforms because the system is very complex, more or less works as it (for now) and it is hard to get enough people on board. Germany is turtle slow on deep reforms and often very skeptical towards the new. The most likely scenario is that, if the Russians completely cut us off, we will have to a) import from friends at a higher price, b) reduce consumption (there are already measures being taken such as new regulations on the lighting and heating of public places, real estate companies are now allowed to heat their apartment blocks less, etc) and c) use whatever alternative sources we have including the really dirty stuff like coal or longer usages of nuclear (that we originally wanted to shut down). There will be enough energy for basic needs, but it might be reduced (a bit like during lockdown when life slowed down). I don't think the government will let people freeze to death (as some supporters of Russia, mainly abroad) claim. There are already plans to, yet again, throw money at the problem and simply pay people a few hundred euros per household to help them with the higher heating bills. That actually could make a difference for lower income households.

As for myself, I just ordered an infrared heater for emergency use, that should be enough to heat at least one room, just in case. I hope I won't need it but if the normal central heating suddenly doesn't work anymore because of some further escalation by Russia that way I know my children are not getting sick. Unless of course too many people suddenly use electric heating and the power system breaks down. Then it's warm sweaters, blankets and betting on climate change doing its work (winters have become noticeably milder these last few years and there are usually only a handful of days of snow per winter where I live).

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
To be fair though, the government seems to work frantically on catching up when it comes to energy supply. Habeck has been travelling to a bunch of countries trying to arrange for new sources. It is likely that nuclear power plants that were meant to be shut down will be kept running longer. Some even want to open up new ones or restart those that are already down, but that isn't something that you can switch on and off over night. The media is already making fun of the Greens no longer being pacifict eco warriors because they support sending arms to Ukraine and are suddenly okay with nuclear and fossile energy as a bridge solution.

If they had a bit more courage and vision they would push for something I have already been in favor of 20 years ago: Throw all their weight behind renewables, not just halfheartedly as the Merkel government has done, but seriously. Combustion engines are a thing of the past and the main reason the EU hasn't done more about them is because of the strong German automotive lobby. If you take a more longtrerm perspective we have to move away from being the world's car producers to being the world's producers of renewable technology. There once was a point where we could have taken that road but not enough was done, there wasn't enough political will and now the wind turbines, solar panels, etc are made in China. We've gotta get that technology and production back to Europe asap. It would be good for energy security, good for the economy and good for the environment.

Thios would be even more efficient if it is done on an EU-wide scale. The French will insist on nuclear, but other than that I think Macron might be on board so it really should happen soon before the far-right takes over and the whole continent is basically lost.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
To be fair though, the government seems to work frantically on catching up when it comes to energy supply. Habeck has been travelling to a bunch of countries trying to arrange for new sources. It is likely that nuclear power plants that were meant to be shut down will be kept running longer. Some even want to open up new ones or restart those that are already down, but that isn't something that you can switch on and off over night. The media is already making fun of the Greens no longer being pacifict eco warriors because they support sending arms to Ukraine and are suddenly okay with nuclear and fossile energy as a bridge solution.

If they had a bit more courage and vision they would push for something I have already been in favor of 20 years ago: Throw all their weight behind renewables, not just halfheartedly as the Merkel government has done, but seriously. Combustion engines are a thing of the past and the main reason the EU hasn't done more about them is because of the strong German automotive lobby. If you take a more longtrerm perspective we have to move away from being the world's car producers to being the world's producers of renewable technology. There once was a point where we could have taken that road but not enough was done, there wasn't enough political will and now the wind turbines, solar panels, etc are made in China. We've gotta get that technology and production back to Europe asap. It would be good for energy security, good for the economy and good for the environment.

Thios would be even more efficient if it is done on an EU-wide scale. The French will insist on nuclear, but other than that I think Macron might be on board so it really should happen soon before the far-right takes over and the whole continent is basically lost.

But truth to be told the Greens have to be like this in this critical moment. Because if they aren't they will be blamed for everything that goes wrong and some things probably will to some degree. We are simply in the times that require some pragmatism. You simply can't go directly to the target since the world has become too complex for that. This winter the whole EU simply must improvise to avoid large scale social damage. What is doable but only if you you take more flexible approach.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
But truth to be told the Greens have to be like this in this critical moment. Because if they aren't they will be blamed for everything that goes wrong and some things probably will to some degree. We are simply in the times that require some pragmatism. You simply can't go directly to the target since the world has become too complex for that. This winter the whole EU simply must improvise to avoid large scale social damage. What is doable but only if you you take more flexible approach.
Oh, I agree. I'm just saying they are being mocked and criticized for it (and of course there is a lot of internal debate).

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This is the thing

scholz-und-die-turbine.jpg

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm

Strategic analysis of the situation with Taiwan.

While this is actually major statement regardless of what you think about it. Since this basically means that EU with a few pro Russian exceptions will stand behind Taiwan. What means a lot since in that case China in the case of attack can count on major economic disruptions. Especially since in Europe more and more people want to phase out goods from China and all this seems as good excuse. Since the idea is to reindustrialize the continent to make it more self sustainable and with more democratic supply chains.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
99 dreams i have had
In every one a red balloon
It's all over and i'm standin' pretty
In the dust that was a city
If i could find a souvenier
Just to prove the world was here
And here it is, a red balloon
I think of you and let it go...​

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
Wikipedia:
The lyrics of the original German version tell a story: 99 balloons are mistaken for UFOs, causing a general to send pilots to investigate. Finding nothing but balloons, the pilots put on a large show of fire power. The display of force worries the nations along the borders and the war ministers on each side encourage conflict to grab power for themselves. In the end, a cataclysmic war results from the otherwise harmless flight of balloons and causes devastation on all sides without a victor, as indicated in the denouement of the song: "99 Jahre Krieg ließen keinen Platz für Sieger," which means "99 years of war have left no place for winners." The anti-war song finishes with the singer walking through the devastated ruins of the world and finding a single balloon. The description of what happens in the final line of the piece is the same in German and English: "Denk' an dich und lass' ihn fliegen," or "I think of you and let it go."[7]

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
China sanctions Nancy Pelosi over ‘provocative’ Taiwan trip

With Russia distracted, clashes rock Nagorno-Karabakh

‘Disgusting’: Zelenskyy hits back at Gerhard Schröder over Russia talks remark

Franco-Italian honeymoon hits troubled waters as Macron loses No. 1 ally in Rome

Hungary's Orban urges US conservatives to 'take back institutions'

This is pretty good example of how what is happening at one side of the Atlantic effects the other side. The world is just too intermixed that the things can be clearly separated anymore. With the inventions of internet and modern media there is no longer such a thing as 100% national politics. Even in those that claim that this is the only thing they care about. So instead there are various alliances that stretch across the world and often they even make alliances among themselves. In order to make various political gains and benefits. Therefore it really matters who wins seats all across the globe. Since the effects of that will surely and deliberately be spilled outside of national borders. No matter which country we are talking about.