• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

being a good parent destroys you

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Being a good parent will physiologically destroy you, new research confirms - Quartz

Damn, maybe I just need to give up being a good dad...

The money quote

A team from Northwestern University has examined the hidden costs of parental empathy. They found that while the children of empathetic parents are better off physically and emotionally, the parents’ cells reveal chronic, low-grade inflammation. When their children suffer psychologically, empathetic parents’ immune systems take a hit.

Researchers surveyed 247 pairs of parents and their adolescent children on how often and to what degree parents could understand their children’s feelings and respond with appropriate concern. They also took blood samples. Empathetic parents and their children were both better off psychologically. Children of empathetic parents also showed lower levels of inflammatory markers . Their parents were just the opposite. Their samples revealed this low-grade systemic inflammation.

Read the whole thing. ...

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's no surprise to me nor a coincidence that I've been sprouting grey hairs in my ginger beard since my son was birthed into this miserable world. At this rate, I'll look like old Luke Skywalker by age 45.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The article attributes the higher levels of inflammatory markers to empathetic parents taking care of their children and ot themselves. The inflammatory markers might just be higher due to empathy, regardless of self care. Like, if I were to let my child cry more rather than dropping everything and running to her, the crying would upset me more than addressing the problem.

Damn my mothering instincts!

Silent

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
I say the damage is minor compared to the benefits for the children.

geedoenfj

The more you know..
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Either way we're eventually going to leave this world, I better live as a good parent..

Last edited:

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
That title seems a bit hyperbolic.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I say the damage is minor compared to the benefits for the children.

My step-kids mom also says this type of thing. Then again, she doesn't contribute enough anything to qualify as a parent.

I personally feel if you and your mate think and act as a unified team, there is far less damage to parents. However, you can have empathy and be a great parent without sacrificing everything about your own health and well being. A good amount of this, people bring on themselves.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
My step-kids mom also says this type of thing. Then again, she doesn't contribute enough anything to qualify as a parent.

I personally feel if you and your mate think and act as a unified team, there is far less damage to parents. However, you can have empathy and be a great parent without sacrificing everything about your own health and well being. A good amount of this, people bring on themselves.

I'm nursing, so a little bit more of the childcare responsibilities falls on me than my SO, but the teamwork helps. If I can just make it to the other side of one year old, this should get easier, I hope.

*yawn* I'm so tired.

Mole

Permabanned
Natural Selection has seen to it that parents adore their children, otherwise we would not be here. Nature has seen to it that mothers eat the burnt chop themselves, rather than giving it to their children.

But can we have our cake and eat it too? Can we adore our children without eating the burnt chop?