• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

*Attention grabbing title*

Venkish

Who would you like to be?

Al Swearengen or Petyr Baelish. Someone cunning and intelligent who exudes confidence and maintains complete control. Someone with a firm grasp on the World. Basically, an NTJ type.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2Q7YRDL90E (NSFW language)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTxI-GXRMGk

My feelings in a nutshell: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28BXqQWqYJU

Who ARE you most like?

It depends on who I'm with, and the atmosphere. Of course, I cannot be objective of my external self.

When surrounded by strangers I'm sort of like Ben from the beginning of The Graduate where Ben's parents throw a party: awkward and shy. Sometimes I succeed in faking confidence and assurance, but not often.

When around immediate family, I'm sort of wacky, sarcastic and random. It bothers me to act like that, but it's something I have trouble turning off when the mood seems fit. However, there are times when I'm stoic.

Regarding the person I relate to the most, I find myself interrupting him and turning the conversation on me. I talk about things I know nothing about (maybe to impress him?) and usually end up looking like a fool. He usually is much more logical than myself. I often spill my guts to him, and complain like a petty child. We both do.

I do not initiate conversations in social settings. I have never so much as asked a person out. Do I fear rejection? Do I lack confidence? Maybe.

I would say every other day I am someone new, but I can't be sure.

What are you passionate about?

Nothing. I want to be passionate. I want to be one of those people who talk about picking up a paint brush at age 3 and painting a masterpiece by age 15, but that is not me. It makes me feel damn insecure.

I'm more like Cormac Mccarthy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kh0C5z79apA.

How are you different from your past self?

I was like most children: naive, obedient, optimistic, friendly, etc. Getting to know people and certain experiences shaped my paranoia, skepticism, and indifference. I'm not a brooder, nor am I anything special; I just don't see sunshine and rainbows. In my view, the world is more like Game of Thrones than it is a sit-com.

Describe yourself now

I'm a homebody. I prefer the company of immediate family or to be alone; I do not believe in concepts of friendships or romantic love, although I want to. Like in School, I've usually avoided extra curricular activities or anything which involved groups. When I was in groups, it didn't feel right to me.

Internal conflicts?

This is probably the source of my confusion. I have a Daniel Plainview mentality, but the world shuns those types (despite the fact that false courtesies and niceties usually get a person nowhere). It's the "being raised by a single mother" issue. I ask myself what my values are, but what I actually try to know is how I cannot stand out and attract attention, while still be who I believe myself to be. I was taught sentiment over logic; kindness over truth. My conflict continues within.

What irks you?

Noises: car doors slamming, children screaming, people talking loud enough for me to hear through a wall, assholes driving down the street blasting their diarrhea music, etc.

Comparing myself to others. While I don't want to work and don't mind remaining dependent on my family and abiding by their rules, I know it is not 'normal'. It is not what I'm 'suppose' to do. And that bothers me quite often.

Anything about other people that makes me jealous. Success stories and the like.

People forcing their agendas whether they be political or anti/religious. At the very least, keep it out of the classroom.

How do you spend your days?

Before starting College, I'd waste time on the internet and watching Netflix.

What cognitive functions do you not relate to?

Any which require effort. I live life on autopilot mode in a stream of consciousness. I really have to force myself to concentrate, or tell myself there is something on the line.

I basically live inside my head.

rmrf

The post screamed INTP to me.

You seem quite introverted, always having inner-monologue or chatter, "living in your head", an aversion to dogma (on both sides), sit at home a lot (on your PC), haven't asked anyone out, maybe from lack of confidence, or just 'laziness' (I'm 19 and that's me), on 'auto pilot'.

I can completely relate to a lot of that - You are definitely 'one of us' :)

I sort of get the impression you kind of want to be INTJ-like, probably stemming from being taught to value "sentiment over logic; kindness over truth". This however created internal conflict that manifests as cognitive dissonance (as it would in an INTP) as opposed to sort of 'over compensating' and taking those values to an extreme (as one would expect from a J). My advice would be embrace who you ARE, not who you WANT to be.

Also a little off topic, but you mentioned Littlefinger, I'm sure many will disagree, but I am convinced he's INTP too. While most INTPs are either of the 'successful intellectual' or 'basement dweller' variety, there is the rare 'evil genius INTP', which is what I think Baelish is.

Venkish

Isn't Ti described as inner complex maps of systems and logic? I'm not sure how I relate to that.

rmrf

Not always, especially if the Ti is weak. It's just that that's the cognitive style INTPs tend to gravitate towards. Not a defining characteristic as such. Also maps of systems and logic can be more abstract than just pure logical systems, but seeing the world in a system like manner, rather than a strictly formalised actual system.

Venkish

I do not act like Daniel Plainview, but his views are mine verbatim.

I have a competition in me. I want no one else to succeed. I hate most people...sometimes I look at people and see nothing worth liking. I want to earn enough money so I can get away from everyone...I see the worst in people. I don't need to look past seeing them to get all I need. I've build up my hatred over the years little by little.

The way he acts towards his "brother" is sort of how I act towards my brother.

rmrf

Don't know who Daniel Plainview is, so didn't use that as my basis. The impression I got was that he was an INTP whose ego gravitates towards INTJ type personalities; comparing "what I want to be like", "who I see myself as", with the actual details he provided.

Having said that, I am still fairly new to typing (about a month ago I didn't even know what MBTI was) so there's a good chance I may have been mistaken in my estimation.

Could you explain your reasoning for INTJ over INTP, as I would like to know in more detail how to differentiate the two.

Venkish

With all due respect Cog, you shouldn't type a person until you're well versed in the functions.

Looking at my first post, I spoke more of behavior than cognition. Anyone can act anyway and still be any type. So now I will try to talk about how I perceive and judge the World.

I'm a person who tries to look for deeper meaning, even when there isn't any. For example, I may take someone's words to mean something completely different; I see insult where there may be none.

I'm sure of my introversion not because of my aversion to group related activities, but because I live life in my head. To focus on the sights around me as a passenger in a car is a daunting task. I daydream of success, create scenarios, and live as I'd want to be inside my mind. For me to stay in the present moment requires a concentrated effort.

I do use past experiences as a standard for the present. If people were cruel to me many years ago, then I want nothing to do with anybody now.

I'm objectively unaware of what my principles or values may be, and I'm willing to adapt or break my current concepts if it is called for.

I have many surrealist, esoteric dreams and ideas that seem impossible to explain.

While part of me wants to explore the World, I can't help but feel whatever I see will not hold up to my expectations.

I live day by day, with little idea of how I'll spend my time.

I prefer knowing where I'm going before I get there.

rmrf

Ok, INTJ now makes sense, as that certainly sounds a lot more like Ni dominant than Ti.

I agree that one shouldn't type without having a good knowledge of the functions. I have a good conceptual understanding of the Jungian functions. I just need a little bit more practice in inferring function hierarchy from behaviour.

I would have probably come to the conclusion of INTJ with the info from the above post though, just the behaviour in the original post seemed quite 'stereotypical INTP', but perhaps I was a bit hasty in jumping to the INTP conclusion.

Venkish

I think I have some form of depression. It brings out the Fi in me and from time to time I believe myself to be INFJ or INFP. However, the way I interact with the world is apart from my circular internal struggle.

Also, I am more attracted to artistic pursuits (mostly because artists never do a hard day's work and still manage to make money) than scientific ones. But of course this is not a T/F indicator as many writers/painters/musicians/actors are T types.

Swivelinglight

Permabanned
I just wanted to state that your attempt at satiring attention grabbing titles is, in and of itself, an attention grabbing title.

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I read attention grabbing title as attention grabbing titties. :(

baccheion

Which typically comes first for you: work, or play?

Which describes you better: carefree, or intense?

Which best describes your political beliefs: liberal, centrist, or conservative?

Does it bother you when people are late?

Which do you put more weight in: science, or faith?

Which describes you better: more warm-hearted, or cool-headed?

As a personality, are you more passive, active, or balanced?

Are you generally able to forgive and forget?

Do you like dogs? Would you consider owning a dog as a pet?

How much would you enjoy hosting a big, crazy party?

Are Goth chicks more sexy, or more lame?

How do you feel about kids (precious, okay, revolting, indifferent to them)?

Could you date someone who was really quiet?

Which of the following types of intelligence do you most value: logical/mathematical, social/interpersonal, or visual/spatial/artistic?

How shy would you say you are?

When deciding what is right and wrong are you more emotional, logical, religious, or something else?

Outside of work and school, how inclined are you to investigate something that interests you?

When it comes to right and wrong, which of the following has the greatest impact on your belief system: religion, family/friends, laws, or self interest?

Which word describes you better: private or social?

When planning future activities with your significant other(s), do you generally like to take the lead?

Is the left or right hemisphere of your brain dominant?

Do you typically speak and write in a clear, precise manner?

How often do you try new things (food, activities, music, whatever)?

Do you mind getting really dirty working/playing outside?

When facing a complicated situation, can you easily put yourself in another person's shoes and consequently see things from his or her point of view?

Do you care about other people's suffering?

Are you annoyed by people who are super logical?

Are you almost always on time?

Which do you cause more of: order, or chaos?

Would speaking in front of a large group make you nervous?

How frequently do you drink alcohol?

Are you careful with your money?

Which of the following has the biggest influence on your behavior: reason/observation/empiricism/trial-and-error, tradition/faith/upbringing/heritage, or emotion/intuition/instinct?

How important is it that your partner be willing and able to participate in meaningful philosophical conversations?

If you had to choose one, which would you rather have: great sex, great friends, great love, or great ideas?

Which is worse: being too much of a dreamer, or too cynical?

What size party would you prefer to attend: a few close friends, 5 - 20 people, 20 - 100 people, or more than 100 people?

How do you feel about germs: obsessed (you bleach anything you can't trust), careful (you wash my hands and cover your sneezes), polite (you always wash up when someone's watching), or unconcerned (you don't actively lick doorknobs)?

How high is your self confidence: very high, higher than average, average, or below average?

How much do you procrastinate?

If someone asked what "wherefore" in the line “Wherefore art thou Romeo?” meant, what would you respond with: why, where, how, or who cares / wtf?

In a conversation are you usually listening or waiting to speak?

Do you ever feel socially awkward?

Do you space out or daydream a lot?

How frequently do you go out of your way to make others feel appreciated?

Do you like to be the center of attention?

Are you attracted to dangerous situations?

Are you likely to make long, friendly conversation with strangers?

Could you date someone who was really messy?

Do you usually blurt things out, or do you think carefully before speaking?

Which of the following characters best represents your personality: Garfield (apathetic and sarcastic), Bugs Bunny (creative & versatile), Batman (quiet problem-solver), or Mickey Mouse (cheery & energetic)?

If a photographer approaches you on the street and asks to take your picture, do you pose for them or politely refuse?

If you were going away for two weeks, when would you start packing: at least 2 days before, the day before, the same day, or not at all?

Do you pick up after yourself (always, when you have the time, no, or someone else does it)?

Would you be willing to adopt a child?

Do you enjoy finding out what makes things work the way they do?

How often are you open with your feelings?

Do you prefer your social plans settled and decided, or tentative?

Are you more cheerful (have a positive outlook), meh (have ups and downs), or annoyed ("the world sucks")?

How open are you to trying new things in bed: very (will try anything once), open (but not too crazy), hesitant, or not at all?

Do you often have a hard time thinking of things to talk about?

Do you believe reason is more important than emotions in solving problems?

In which climate zone would you prefer to live: tropical (love the heat), mediterranean (warm, but not too hot), temperate (everything in moderation), subarctic (love the cold and snow)?

Could you date someone who needs a great deal of alone time?

Do you keep a budget (of your finances)?

Are you an intellectual (loves learning for its own sake)? Do you find learning boring?

Are you more talented, or hardworking?

Can you name five living poets and the title of one book by each? Poets, but not titles? Five Poets, even if dead?

Which of the following if your greatest motivation in life thus far: love, wealth, expression, or knowledge?

Do you like wild parties?

Would you rather win a Nobel Prize, a Grammy/Oscar/Tony/Emmy, a Super Bowl (or other sports championship), or the lottery?

If your significant other put on a slow song and asked you to dance, would think it was romantic, corny, or not your kinda thing?

Does silence make you uncomfortable?

If a government were brutally oppressing you, would you organize a peaceful resistance, join the oppressive government, escape to a benign power, or break out the .50 sniper rounds?

How messy are you?

How often do you use Facebook?