• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Analyze this

Lib

Permabanned
The concept of what is a conventional art interpretation is so subjective it's ludicrous to even ask.
So the distinction between conventional and abstract is nothing familiar to you? Surrealism is abstract, deals with unconscious perceptions, which makes it more 'unconventional'. This is what I meant.

mgbradsh

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
I would say it represents humanity at somewhat of a crossroads. Outside you have all manner of natural disaster, and something manmade in each window/door suggesting that man could be a significant contributor to the problem.

Inside you have kids, our future generation, disappearing before our eyes. What might be ancient texts are burning away, indicating a loss of historical wisdom as we keep moving forward. The large Chia head is probably representative of our past connection with nature as something that belongs in a museum or something, but at any rate is more of a monument to history than anything we’re living now, more along the lines of the wisdom of the ancients.

The mirror on the fireplace is interesting. It’s looking backwards with a relatively clear sky, maybe suggesting that if we want answers to our problems we can find them in our past.

I don’t know if that answers it, it’s what I saw.

Permabanned
What is the idea of this painting in your opinion?

Well, that's true. But that one doesn't leave room for conventional interpretation... like many others, I know.

@ the bold to me refers to one's interpretation of the idea of the piece.

So the distinction between conventional and abstract is nothing familiar to you? Surrealism is abstract, deals with unconscious perceptions, which makes it more 'unconventional'. This is what I meant.

Surrealism is indeed abstract. The piece is undoubtedly abstract.

My opinion of what the idea of the piece is, to me refers NOT to the style of the piece, and what that style is called, but what story it tells, on which [MENTION=27809]Malela[/MENTION] thoroughly expounded on, btw.

Mole

Permabanned
We
What is the idea of this painting in your opinion? Please, don't look it up before answering, if you haven't come across it before.
79738444963af81db6c96d643c045096.jpg
What is the idea of this painting in your opinion? Please, don't look it up before answering, if you haven't come across it before.
79738444963af81db6c96d643c045096.jpg
Paintings have no meaning. Meaning is ascribed by words afterwards.

rav3n

I would say it represents humanity at somewhat of a crossroads. Outside you have all manner of natural disaster, and something manmade in each window/door suggesting that man could be a significant contributor to the problem.

Inside you have kids, our future generation, disappearing before our eyes. What might be ancient texts are burning away, indicating a loss of historical wisdom as we keep moving forward. The large Chia head is probably representative of our past connection with nature as something that belongs in a museum or something, but at any rate is more of a monument to history than anything we’re living now, more along the lines of the wisdom of the ancients.

The mirror on the fireplace is interesting. It’s looking backwards with a relatively clear sky, maybe suggesting that if we want answers to our problems we can find them in our past.

I don’t know if that answers it, it’s what I saw.
So many times this. The painting Si-ghs high like nothing else.

Mole

Permabanned
And amazingly paintings contain no contradictions. Contradictions are only found in diction, in words, so we get 'contra-diction'. meaning against words.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
I love this stuff, so here goes!

This painting strikes me as a representation of the place between life and death.

I see all the humanoid depictions here being one person. The two young girls are half-invisible; essentially fading away. One is focused on books, some of which show the face of a woman (her as an adult before or during the time of death), and also a plant which vaguely resembles an olive branch. These books are ablaze, soon to turn to ash just as the woman, with the olive branch representing the Ultimate Peace. The girl reading the books is reflecting on her life and seems to be doing so contentedly as opposed to frantically. This indicates that she is at ease observing her life and not clinging to her memories as they gradually fade away.

The fire is not in the fireplace, which shows that it's not a fire of function. They have no bodies to warm and there is no consistent climate because this isn't a tangible place. The scene to the right depicts life while the scene to the left depicts death, or rather the afterlife because really the whole painting depicts the process of death. The water is symbolic of life as a whole, which carries us along its currents and tides, some gentle and some raging. The death scene is riddled with icebergs; cold, unforgiving, lifeless... a barren void. The tree next to it is resting in lifeless slumber. Given its trajectory, the ship is on course to collide with the icebergs, and we all know what happens after that...

But look!

That's apparently not the end because there an ethereal balloon carrying an oasis, lush and full of life. The other young girl gazes at it calmly, holding her book of life shut behind her back. It's all behind her and she's ready. Perhaps the Leaning Tower of Pisa stands upright because it represents a reversal of the gradual decline inherent to life and the process of death; that once we pass, we stand tall again unfazed by the instability of the ground below us or our degrading structure.

The woman with the head of leaves represents many things. As half of a disembodied head, she is another depiction of the woman who is passing between life and death; no need for a body, half here and half not. Her "hair" is more a literal representation of life, yet still half-depicted. More importantly, she is looking directly at the viewer, with her eye centered in the painting, positioned next to an evening scene representing the twilight of one's life. She is forcing us all to look our destiny in the eye, and the intentional placement of her at the center of the image indicates that this is the core message.

I did not look this painting or anything about it up (or even read all the comments here) and just went with what I saw and felt, and I'm super curious to hear what the artist intended to communicate.

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This painting looks like the chaos of my mind~

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What is the idea of this painting in your opinion?
I don't know, but my first reaction to it is: it's a soapbox. The artist has some very strong and definite point he is trying to put across, and he is being at once heavy handed and obtuse about it.

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

in summation, i am not sure what it means, but there are some reactionary thoughts in my spoiler... i would have to think about it longer to settle on anything...

Metis

in summation, i am not sure what it means, but there are some reactionary thoughts in my spoiler... i would have to think about it longer to settle on anything...

I feel like the reason her clothes are invisible is that she's mentally detached from her body and clothes, which is the way I feel when I'm absorbed in thought, especially when I'm reading a book. It's about the only thing in the painting that I strongly relate to. It could mean something else, but I recognize the feeling.

Hermit of the Forest

Greetings humans • Hunting
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Perhaps it means that no matter how rich and varied your imaginings, if you never go out and really experience things or have adventures you will have only lived a half life.

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I feel like the reason her clothes are invisible is that she's mentally detached from her body and clothes, which is the way I feel when I'm absorbed in thought, especially when I'm reading a book. It's about the only thing in the painting that I strongly relate to. It could mean something else, but I recognize the feeling.

i can see that... for me detatchment has a lot to do with not wanting to be seen or interacted with... thought is often a juxtipostion of engagement and escape for me (as is memory)... a lot of what i typed in there had a bit to do with how i grew up...

Lib

Permabanned
I don't know, but my first reaction to it is: it's a soapbox. The artist has some very strong and definite point he is trying to put across, and he is being at once heavy handed and obtuse about it.
Yeah, I know. Surrealism requires imagination.

Mole

Permabanned
As we go deeper into meditation, we reach a point where all talk ceases and we can see a painting for what it is.

Mole

Permabanned
The book is dead, the God of the book is dead, and paintings have no meaning.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
There are no torsoes.

Jaq

Remember, Humanity.
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Reminds me of Dali a little bit, but less ants and melting clocks.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, I know. Surrealism requires imagination.
And people will imagine quite differently. Something just doesn't work here. It's almost as if Appia is trying too hard, as opposed to, say, Magritte where things are a bit more understated and integrated. But then interpreting art is very personal, and people will have different likes and preferences.

Lark

The book is dead, the God of the book is dead, and paintings have no meaning.

I nominate this for the most wrong Mole post of all time.

Some of the others take some beating when you think about it.