• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Adult Children Living at Home

Kas

Fabula rasa
I don't like adults living with parents statistics, people are living with parents because of many reasons.

Adults being dependent on their parents is really a problem (usually it's because problem with job), but when they make money, pay part (or all rent), cook, make loundry etc. I don't really see it as an issue.

Bilateral Entry

Internet User
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Meh...I spent a good portion of my 20's living at home, trying to settle on a career path and stick with it. Independence is nice, but so is not spending half of your paycheck on rent. Having a roommate definitely helps with the expenses though.

What career did you settle on? Which ones did you look into or try?

SpankyMcFly

Level 8 Propaganda Bot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Dayyuum. I guess the job market really is down! Bachelor's degree doesn't get you very far these days. It doesn't get you anywhere at all, in some cases. Can probs get a driving job without the bachelor's.

Yeah The Great Recession was pretty bad. I've never been out of work for more than a month and I've been working since I was 16 (I'm 44 now for context). During the recession however it took me almost a year after being laid off in 2008. The labor market is almost back to normal though from my perspective and background.

Bachelor's degrees are overrated because too many people think that merely having one is going to get you a job, and a 'decent' one at that. How quickly they learn that it's the other things about you that people who make hiring decisions look at. While potentially useful, it ultimately is just a tool.

Well at my work the driving positions are challenging because they are physically demanding, requires upper body strength and a willingness to put yourself in dangerous situations at times.

Crabs

Permabanned
What career did you settle on? Which ones did you look into or try?

I’m a bit of an entrepreneur, myself, specializing in corporate espionage. I'm also a part-time consultant of sorts, dealing with the disposal of unwanted entities as a middle-man, as well as facilitating monetary transactions.

I was pursuing a career in the CIA, but failed the polygraph miserably. I tried my hand at street magic for generous donations to pay the bills, but I couldn't disappear from the consequences of my past, so I fled to Somalia where I enjoyed a brief and modestly successful career in international piracy. Eventually, my fellow pirates realized that I wasn't a native of the country and they marooned me on a nearby island. I found a mule and was able to...uhhh...smuggle myself back into the United States. And the rest, as they say, is a mystery. Or history.

I definitely recommend taking an easier route to success though. Maybe culinary school or something.

Codex

MBTI Type
ENTJ
It is commonly due to culture/ tradition for a lot of the countries mentioned. There are even religious drives for offspring to remain in their parent's home until they are married, or even after.

I think the question is more relevant for cultures where the norm/ expectation is that a child should become an independent as of the age of 18 or older; not necessarily until they are married, and so on.