• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

2020 Democratic Party primary thread

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Naive question from a foreigner here. Why don't you just let all party members vote their candidate on the same day and be done with it? Then hold a direct election and let every citizen elegible to vote directly vote the president regardless of location. One person one vote. Done. That's how most Western democracies handle things and it seems not only simpler but fairer.

That makes too much sense. We can't have that.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Naive question from a foreigner here. Why don't you just let all party members vote their candidate on the same day and be done with it? Then hold a direct election and let every citizen elegible to vote directly vote the president regardless of location. One person one vote. Done. That's how most Western democracies handle things and it seems not only simpler but fairer.

Probably because American system was made long before modern media were invented. Therefore you need the time to tour the big country and meet the voters everywhere. However in modern times this is simply obsolete, since information travels instantly. A year and a half of election campaign is simply absurd, here official campaigns last about a month and that is it. Everyone knows in general where each party stands, plus you reduce the odds of flip-flopping throughout the saga. Not to mention that people at the beginning and the end of primaries have different set of candidates on the table, as well as different amount of info. But yes, the president is clearly a federal function and choosing the person on any other way than "popular vote country wide" is disturbing of the picture. Especially since in that case you would no longer have swing states and therefore you would have to campaign everywhere ... what is fair towards the voters. Here you have to calculate everyone if you are running for president, since the whole country is one big swing state without artificial internal divisions.

But as foreigner to foreigner: what are your thoughts on super Tuesday being on Tuesday ? Here that would be considered "rigging in your face" and that is why we vote only on Sundays. Since that way everyone has easier time getting to the voting place. Especially since in that case there are no real waiting lines, since the vote is dispersed through out the day. This is what I find much more "problematic" than electoral college, which still has certain logic to it.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
But as foreigner to foreigner: what are your thoughts on super Tuesday being on Tuesday ? Here that would be considered "rigging in your face" and that is why we vote only on Sundays. Since that way everyone has easier time getting to the voting place. Especially since in that case there are no real waiting lines, since the vote is dispersed through out the day.

Yep, same here. All elections are on sundays and the poll stations (located within walking distance) are usually open from 8 am to 6pm. I have never seen real waiting lines or people sent away. Voter participation for national elections is usually between 70 and 80% (used to be over 80% before the 1980s)

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Yep, same here. All elections are on sundays and the poll stations (located within walking distance) are usually open from 8 am to 6pm. I have never seen real waiting lines or people sent away. Voter participation for national elections is usually between 70 and 80% (used to be over 80% before the 1980s)

Yeap, super Tuesday should really be super Sunday. :D

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Were it up to me, there’d be one national primary day. It would be an official holiday and in spring. Then an official Election Day holiday again in November. It would be a fun holiday, everyone would get the day off from work, there would be food trucks and face painting and fun events outside of all the polls. It would basically be like Fourth of July with voting.

Every ballot would be a preference ballot.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I see that some really important states are coming in the next 2 weeks. Therefore if results will not be around the tie all of this will probably be over pretty soon either way. With California moved much forward it is really hard to fix lagging in the 2 person race or expect big twists. After mid March only late April seem to have something that is really delegate heavy (north-east basically), the rest of the race are just small random states.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
It would be a fun holiday, everyone would get the day off from work, there would be food trucks and face painting and fun events outside of all the polls. It would basically be like Fourth of July with voting.
Mixing fun with voting would be like mixing strawberry shortcake with shit. I realize progressives need people to go and do it and help them out, but trying to doctor up waiting in line and filling out one of those grade school pencil bubble exams as a good time......I don't know man. I'm one of those guys that likes to do boring adult shit like that on my lunch break during the work week.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Mixing fun with voting would be like mixing strawberry shortcake with shit. I realize progressives need people to go and do it and help them out, but trying to doctor up waiting in line and filling out one of those grade school pencil bubble exams as a good time......I don't know man. I'm one of those guys that likes to do boring adult shit like that on my lunch break during the work week.

Then you can go, vote, abstain from the face painting and head back to work after your lunch break.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
‘This Was a Grift’: Bloomberg Staffers Explain Campaign’s Demise | The Nation

While the campaign had ambitious quotas for things like phone calls or doors, many staffers simply faked their numbers. “Many campaign staffers—including myself—had to juke the stats in order to keep up with these impossible goals,” one explained.

While most Bloomberg campaign employees who spoke to The Nation recalled being critical of Bloomberg from the very beginning, one was more sympathetic, citing Bloomberg’s climate change policies and desire to shrink the Pentagon budget. But he remarked, “The campaign truly made me jaded. I’m never going to sell my soul again.”

While I find little funny about the political landscape, someone who voluntarily went to work for Bloomberg saying - I’m never going to sell my soul again - is hilarious.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
At least if the DNC is going to orchestrate events so that all the failed candidates lend Joe Biden all their energy to conjure of a moderate Democratic spirit bomb on Majin Bernie, we ought to at least be able to bring back the Biden memes as we prepare for 4 more years of the preserving the status quo.

EkN8Ewg.jpg

Nicodemus

I bet Trump invites Anita Hill to a debate if Joe is nominee. If the dem establishment or media goes after her, it will be shameful and unforgivable
Anita Hill is not a prop; she is a law professor. I would bet real money that there is no way in hell she accepts an invitation from Trump, a person far worse than Clarence Thomas.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Erik Prince Recruits Ex-Spies to Help Infiltrate Liberal Groups - The New York Times

Can't help anyone with the paywall but let me make this easy for you all.

This is fascism paid for and endorsed by the US government. This is why the Democratic Party is history, the GOP has already become an arm of totalitarianism. I guarantee people will wake up in a year and wonder how something like this could happen and who allowed it.

Oh and this vile motherfucker Erik Prince has control of the military - the contractors who control most of it. Just fyi. The most important piece any regime needs. Check history if you doubt that.

His sister is part of Trump's cabinet.

The people that reply to this post disagreeing are the people enabling it directly. The people that don't reply to it are enabling it indirectly.

Voting isn't going to be enough now.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
I know it's still early and she'll probably feel different about this in the future, but I didn't like that Senator Warren blamed her loss on "the glass ceiling" and misogyny. Hey lady, maybe it's not the voters; maybe it's you that was the problem.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I know it's still early and she'll probably feel different about this in the future, but I didn't like that Senator Warren blamed her loss on "the glass ceiling" and misogyny. Hey lady, maybe it's not the voters; maybeit's you that was the problem.

There is no need for that "maybe". :D

Anyway I see that Biden came to +90 with the counting of early vote or whatever was counted over the lest few days. Therefore if Bernie doesn't make something happen in the few big states that are coming through the next 10 days this is it. The GE is Biden vs. Trump.

The Cat

Offering FREE Monkey paws down at the Crossroads.
Staff member
Erik Prince Recruits Ex-Spies to Help Infiltrate Liberal Groups - The New York Times

This is fascism paid for and endorsed by the US government. This is why the Democratic Party is history, the GOP has already become an arm of totalitarianism. I guarantee people will wake up in a year and wonder how something like this could happen and who allowed it.

Oh and this vile motherfucker Erik Prince has control of the military - the contractors who control most of it. Just fyi. The most important piece any regime needs. Check history if you doubt that.

The people that reply to this post disagreeing are the people enabling it directly. The people that don't reply to it are enabling it indirectly.

Of all the comic books we could have lived in why did it have to be V for Vendetta?:(

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Don't worry. We have norms.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Don't worry. We have norms.

Yeah, let's see. Woodrow Wilson spied on opponents, jailed political opponents, used propaganda, lied to the people, FDR did all that and used the IRS on them too, LBJ went even deeper, then Nixon and the Plumbers, Reagan conducted illegal wars and Iran Contra, Clinton had the improper use of FBI files, GWB endorsed torture, and then Obama used the IRS on enemies and then used the CIA, NSA. and FBI to spy on Trump and then try a coup after he was elected, using the media as an ally and tool.

So, yes, we have norms.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Anita Hill is not a prop; she is a law professor. I would bet real money that there is no way in hell she accepts an invitation from Trump, a person far worse than Clarence Thomas.

I never said she’d accept said invitation