• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Help Showbread type her fiancé

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
You'd think after being in a romantic relationship with someone for almost 18 months, and knowing them for almost 4 years, I'd be able to nail down their type without help. Wrong. Sometimes the more you know someone, the harder it is to type them. Can anyone relate to that?

Anyways, fiancé. Let's call him Mac. Because he's a tech nerd and idolizes Steve Jobs (his genius and creativity, not his asshat-ness). And also because I'm using a MacBook and the word is right in front of me and I can't think of anything better.

When Mac takes an MBTI test, he generally gets ENTP. If I think about type just in terms of letters and function, ENTP makes sense for him. But, if I think about the actual personality and vibe produced by ENTP it doesn't work. If anything, he vibes kind of SJ, but he's definitely not an SJ. My best guess at this point is that he is an ENFP, who lacks some traditional ENFP markers because he was raised by an ENTJ and ISTJ. He's very sensitive, and often has very emotional responses to things, but he doesn't seem to know what to do with the feelings and sometimes finds them overwhelming. His parents are very kind and generous people, but I think they were often impatient with him so he just kind of learned that his feelings were wrong and he needed to shove them aside to please people.

One thing I'm fairly certain of is that he is an enneagram 9. He cannot tolerate people being upset with him. He kind of collapses internally and you can almost see the shame taking over. If someone he loves is upset, he does everything he can to fix it, even if it isn't his fault. Not in a 2ish manipulative love earning way though. He does not like conflict, or confrontation. He will simultaneously shove his own feelings down, while internalizing someone else's and making it his responsibility to make them happy again. This has led him to be taken advantage of by multiple emotionally needy/unhealthy people who end up disregarding his needs because he doesn't always communicate them. Both relationships ended with him essentially becoming a time bomb of resentment and pain. But even though they hurt him so deeply he was never able to bring himself to tell either of them. In fact, he will straight up lie to avoid having people get upset with him/know that he has "failed". He's just kind of severed ties with both of them over time. One was a girlfriend, the other was a closeted gay roommate who was in love with him.

One reason I am certain he is not an SJ of any kind is that he is a dreamer and an eternal optimist. He likes to lay in bed for hours on a Saturday morning and dream up different lives for himself. Not because he's discontent, but because he says he doesn't have enough lives to learn all the professions he wants to. I think his ultimate dream would be for someone to pay him to travel the world and learn every language. He loves linguistics. He's taught himself to read Russian characters, Japanese characters, some Chinese, some Welsh, and he speaks French very well. If I had let him he would have picked our honeymoon location based on what language he wanted to learn next. He also dreams of becoming a composer. He loves technically complex music and for a while wanted to compose film score. He currently works as software engineer and LOVES it. Even when he's not at work he codes for fun, teaches himself new coding languages, and is constantly reading about obscure computer science research. He started teaching himself to code when he was around 9 years old. He and his sister went to pottery painting place when they were tiny. Her plate has puppies and rainbows, his is covered in sketches of computer parts.

Other random anecdotes...

- He is incredibly detail oriented with his work, music, fonts, etc. But when it comes to practical real life logistics, he can be clueless. Things like planning a road trip so that meal times fall when passing through a city, estimating how long tasks will take and planning accordingly, prioritizing chores, etc, elude him.

- He LOVES touch. His "snuggle gauge" is always empty. In fact, I'm convinced there's a hole in the bottom because he loves touch. Kissing, holding hands, "koalaing" as he calls it (he wraps his legs around me like a koala, it's adorable). He can pretty much never get enough. He also likes be to very silly with touch and tickle me or bite my ears.

- He does not perform well under stress, in fact, he shuts down. It's not that he can't make deadlines or do hard things... He's good at both. But when you add pressure for him to perform, the fear of failing (letting someone down) kind of takes over. If he know he's made us late he panics and takes longer to do everything. He internalizes my disappointment, feels like he has failed, and goes into a cycle of shame. If he has to make a decision under stress/pressure he will start to fixate on details that don't really matter and obsess over making sure his work/choice is perfect.

- He is definitely extrovert. He never gets tired of being around people and could chat for hours. However, he doesn't draw attention to himself in a group. He loves to listen just as much as he loves to talk.

- He's painfully punny. Sometimes they're hilarious, and sometimes they're just awful. But he can't pass up the opportunity. Example of hilarious: I'm sitting in the living room and from the kitchen I hear him say in a Russian accent: "Hello there broccoli, how was being nuked?" As he pulls his leftovers out of the microwave.

- He's bad at sarcasm, and doesn't like to be teased. I don't really think there way any sarcasm in his house a child. His parents are both very straightforward. I am incredibly sassy/snarky and it used to catch him off guard, a lot. His dislike of teasing I think is due to his sensitivity to criticism. He reminds me very much of my ENFP brother in his way (actually, a lot of ways).

Okay. Ready, set, go. Ask questions. I'l probably show this to him later and let him answer some of the questions.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Does he know about function theory? Does he relate more to Fe or Fi? Te or Ti?

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You'd think after being in a romantic relationship with someone for almost 18 months, and knowing them for almost 4 years, I'd be able to nail down their type without help. Wrong. Sometimes the more you know someone, the harder it is to type them. Can anyone relate to that?

I often find it harder to type someone the more I know them. Dang those humans, being human and all... :dry: ;)

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

It's only natural!

Anyways, fiancé. Let's call him Mac. Because he's a tech nerd and idolizes Steve Jobs (his genius and creativity, not his asshat-ness). And also because I'm using a MacBook and the word is right in front of me and I can't think of anything better.

When Mac takes an MBTI test, he generally gets ENTP. If I think about type just in terms of letters and function, ENTP makes sense for him. But, if I think about the actual personality and vibe produced by ENTP it doesn't work.

Bold words: Irrelevant. When you take into consideration of his enneagram, instinct variant, socionics, and other typing systems, it would make a difference between a textbook variety ENTP versus a living, breathing ENTP who might have a different "vibe" based on other external factors.

If anything, he vibes kind of SJ, but he's definitely not an SJ. My best guess at this point is that he is an ENFP, who lacks some traditional ENFP markers because he was raised by an ENTJ and ISTJ. He's very sensitive, and often has very emotional responses to things, but he doesn't seem to know what to do with the feelings and sometimes finds them overwhelming. His parents are very kind and generous people, but I think they were often impatient with him so he just kind of learned that his feelings were wrong and he needed to shove them aside to please people.

Fi users such as the INFP and the ENFP certainly can have issues with their emotional responses, just like everybody else. The only difference I'm seeing between xNFP and your (Maybe ENTP) fiance is that the bold words suggests that his feeling is extraverted in nature (Fe) in that he can shove his emotions down in order to please other people. Fi users, when overwhelmed, are more likely to lash out and tell everybody to leave them the hell alone, and mean it. The Fi seeks soltitude to look into their own inner world of intense emotions and see where it makes sense with a situation involving themselves and someone else/something that happened.

One thing I'm fairly certain of is that he is an enneagram 9. He cannot tolerate people being upset with him. He kind of collapses internally and you can almost see the shame taking over. If someone he loves is upset, he does everything he can to fix it, even if it isn't his fault. Not in a 2ish manipulative love earning way though. He does not like conflict, or confrontation. He will simultaneously shove his own feelings down, while internalizing someone else's and making it his responsibility to make them happy again. This has led him to be taken advantage of by multiple emotionally needy/unhealthy people who end up disregarding his needs because he doesn't always communicate them. Both relationships ended with him essentially becoming a time bomb of resentment and pain. But even though they hurt him so deeply he was never able to bring himself to tell either of them. In fact, he will straight up lie to avoid having people get upset with him/know that he has "failed". He's just kind of severed ties with both of them over time. One was a girlfriend, the other was a closeted gay roommate who was in love with him.

I agree with you. 9w1 seems very likely, if we were to add wings.

One reason I am certain he is not an SJ of any kind is that he is a dreamer and an eternal optimist.

Whaaaat, SJ people can dream too! :laugh:
I'm just playing, but I understand what you mean.

He likes to lay in bed for hours on a Saturday morning and dream up different lives for himself. Not because he's discontent, but because he says he doesn't have enough lives to learn all the professions he wants to.

Sounds like Ne. Does he talk about these ideas often, out loud, with you and other people?

I think his ultimate dream would be for someone to pay him to travel the world and learn every language. He loves linguistics. He's taught himself to read Russian characters, Japanese characters, some Chinese, some Welsh, and he speaks French very well. If I had let him he would have picked our honeymoon location based on what language he wanted to learn next. He also dreams of becoming a composer. He loves technically complex music and for a while wanted to compose film score. He currently works as software engineer and LOVES it. Even when he's not at work he codes for fun, teaches himself new coding languages, and is constantly reading about obscure computer science research. He started teaching himself to code when he was around 9 years old. He and his sister went to pottery painting place when they were tiny. Her plate has puppies and rainbows, his is covered in sketches of computer parts.

That's really cool! I'm glad for him!

Other random anecdotes...

- He is incredibly detail oriented with his work, music, fonts, etc. But when it comes to practical real life logistics, he can be clueless. Things like planning a road trip so that meal times fall when passing through a city, estimating how long tasks will take and planning accordingly, prioritizing chores, etc, elude him.

Inferior Si.

- He LOVES touch. His "snuggle gauge" is always empty. In fact, I'm convinced there's a hole in the bottom because he loves touch. Kissing, holding hands, "koalaing" as he calls it (he wraps his legs around me like a koala, it's adorable). He can pretty much never get enough. He also likes be to very silly with touch and tickle me or bite my ears.

:notype: but it sounds like physical touch may be his love language.

- He does not perform well under stress, in fact, he shuts down. It's not that he can't make deadlines or do hard things... He's good at both. But when you add pressure for him to perform, the fear of failing (letting someone down) kind of takes over. If he know he's made us late he panics and takes longer to do everything. He internalizes my disappointment, feels like he has failed, and goes into a cycle of shame. If he has to make a decision under stress/pressure he will start to fixate on details that don't really matter and obsess over making sure his work/choice is perfect.

Bold words: Sooo Inferior Si, it hurts.

- He is definitely extrovert. He never gets tired of being around people and could chat for hours. However, he doesn't draw attention to himself in a group. He loves to listen just as much as he loves to talk.

What does he talk about often with these people, if you don't mind me asking? How does he react when someone says something controversial? I am a little confident that he is ENTP like you said, but ENFP is also another possibility depending on your answer to this question, lol.

- He's painfully punny. Sometimes they're hilarious, and sometimes they're just awful. But he can't pass up the opportunity. Example of hilarious: I'm sitting in the living room and from the kitchen I hear him say in a Russian accent: "Hello there broccoli, how was being nuked?" As he pulls his leftovers out of the microwave.

Ne can gather random information and love to mix/match the most random things together through very creative ideas.

- He's bad at sarcasm, and doesn't like to be teased. I don't really think there way any sarcasm in his house a child. His parents are both very straightforward. I am incredibly sassy/snarky and it used to catch him off guard, a lot. His dislike of teasing I think is due to his sensitivity to criticism. He reminds me very much of my ENFP brother in his way (actually, a lot of ways).

When you say criticism, do you mean he feels hurt when he feels incompetent, or does he feel hurt because he feels like someone doesn't like him/the way he acts?

Okay. Ready, set, go. Ask questions. I'l probably show this to him later and let him answer some of the questions.

Ne-dom, Si-dom, now all that's left is deciding whether he's Te or Ti, and if he's Fe or Fi. :shrug: