• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Hints on how to find ennagram type.

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I decided to take the PST types quiz on this site to find my ennegram type and this is the results below.
The Distribution of Your Scores

Type One: 18
Type Two: 30
Type Three: 15
Type Four: 34
Type Five: 48
Type Six: 44
Type Seven: 27
Type Eight: 10
Type Nine: 32
Your probable Enneagram Type

Your main type is 5.
Considering the wings you should be a 5w6.

I am probably a 5 but not sure of the wings. I consistently test as 5w4 on other quizzes but this one gave me a 5w6. Below is the reasons why i relate to each wing of 5.

5w4
. I have a sense of creativity and artistic taste which i like to express myself with.
. I sometimes have idealisation of life in general.
. I can at times feel depressed about myself as a person and how out of touch i feel with the world.
. I have a sense for the morbid and am attracted to aesthetics of things. I like dark Gothic themes for instance.

5w6
. I have that 6 desire to be part of a group and be both successful and accepted by others.
. I am more down to earth, less melancholic and more logical than 5w4s seem to be.
. I am more about making something of myself to the world than seeking an identity.

Rouskyrie

I decided to take the PST types quiz on this site to find my ennegram type and this is the results below.
The Distribution of Your Scores

Type One: 18
Type Two: 30
Type Three: 15
Type Four: 34
Type Five: 48
Type Six: 44
Type Seven: 27
Type Eight: 10
Type Nine: 32
Your probable Enneagram Type

Your main type is 5.
Considering the wings you should be a 5w6.

I am probably a 5 but not sure of the wings. I consistently test as 5w4 on other quizzes but this one gave me a 5w6. Below is the reasons why i relate to each wing of 5.

5w4
. I have a sense of creativity and artistic taste which i like to express myself with.
. I sometimes have idealisation of life in general.
. I can at times feel depressed about myself as a person and how out of touch i feel with the world.
. I have a sense for the morbid and am attracted to aesthetics of things. I like dark Gothic themes for instance.

5w6
. I have that 6 desire to be part of a group and be both successful and accepted by others.
. I am more down to earth, less melancholic and more logical than 5w4s seem to be.
. I am more about making something of myself to the world than seeking an identity.

I think this test works well for finding your wings, (Or at least as a starting point) despite being so short: Enneagram Test - Dominant Type in Each Center with Wings | Enneagram User Guide

Identifying which of the fears guides most of your behavior is an excellent way to find your core type.

Which, for type 5 would be: The fear of being helpless and inadequate.

Justmeonhere

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
For the wings is the same thing Rouskyrie said. Are you more scared of not be accepted as an individual or to lose trust in everybody around you? The first is for four and the second is for six :)

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I think this test works well for finding your wings, (Or at least as a starting point) despite being so short: Enneagram Test - Dominant Type in Each Center with Wings | Enneagram User Guide

Identifying which of the fears guides most of your behavior is an excellent way to find your core type.

Which, for type 5 would be: The fear of being helpless and inadequate.
type 5 (5w4) first,
type 9 (9w1) second,
and type 3 (3w2) third.

For the wings is the same thing Rouskyrie said. Are you more scared of not be accepted as an individual or to lose trust in everybody around you? The first is for four and the second is for six :)

I relate more to not being accepted as a person than to lose trust.

Rouskyrie

type 5 (5w4) first,
type 9 (9w1) second,
and type 3 (3w2) third.

I relate more to not being accepted as a person than to lose trust.

Which from each of these resonates with you most?

Externalized shame: Openly displays shame. May manifest as constantly needing approval or positive feedback.
Repressed shame: Avoidance of shame. May manifest as trying to prove yourself to avoid the shame that you feel.
Internalized shame: Keeping shame to yourself. May manifest as failure to believe anyone can understand your pain.

-

Externalized anger: Openly displayed anger.
Repressed anger: Avoidance of showing anger openly, but it sometimes manifests as passive-aggressiveness.
Internalized anger: Harshly criticizing one's self. May also appear as judgmental tendencies.

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Externalized shame: Openly displays shame. May manifest as constantly needing approval or positive feedback.
Repressed shame: Avoidance of shame. May manifest as trying to prove yourself to avoid the shame that you feel.
Internalized shame: Keeping shame to yourself. May manifest as failure to believe anyone can understand your pain.

Externalized anger: Openly displayed anger.
Repressed anger: Avoidance of showing anger openly, but it sometimes manifests as passive-aggressiveness.
Internalized anger: Harshly criticizing one's self. May also appear as judgmental tendencies.

I do occasionally get bursts of externalized anger but i never repress my anger so to speak.

Rouskyrie

[MENTION=30122]Brain in a Jar[/MENTION].

As you can imagine, or maybe already know, Externalized shame correlates with type 2 and internalized anger correlates with type 1. In the results from your original post, you scored slightly higher on type 4 than type 2, but if your shame is externalized, I'd be more likely to believe that your tritype contains either 2w1 or 2w3. You scored higher for type 9 than type 1 in your results, but if your anger is internalized rather than repressed, I'd believe 1w9 to be fitting instead of 9w1.

As for your main type, I could see you being a 5w4, even without the results you posted. My apologies, though, as I'm not sure if you were looking to find your tritype, as well as your core type. If so, tritype is a matter of "What's my main strategy in the Enneagram?" then the order of the other two depend on the order in which you utilize their strategies after your core type's strategy.

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I was focusing on finding my core type but I would also like to someday find my tritype as well. I do have 2 and 9 infulences on my personality but I don't think I am a core 9 or 2 though.

Rouskyrie

I was focusing on finding my core type but I would also like to someday find my tritype as well. I do have 2 and 9 infulences on my personality but I don't think I am a core 9 or 2 though.

Here's a description of the wings:

"5w4 - Seeking Knowledge and Identity

The difference between the 4 wing and the 6 wing in Fives is like the difference between Art and Science. 4 wing brings an abstract, intuitive cast of thought, as though the Five were thinking in geometric shapes instead of words or realistic images. May be talented artistically and inhabit moods like Fours do. Combine intellectual and emotional imagination. Enjoy the realm of philosophy and beautiful constructs of thought. The marriage of mental perspective and aesthetics is the best of life for them. When more defensive may seem a little ghostly, have a whisper in their voice. Fluctuate between impersonal withdrawal and bursts of friendly caring. Can get floaty and abstract. Act like they're inside a bubble, sometimes with an air of implicit superiority. Cliché of the "absentminded professor" applies especially to Fives with this wing. Environmentally sensitive and subject at times to total overwhelm. Touchy about criticism. Can be slow to recover from traumatic events. Melancholy isolation and bleak existential depression are possible pitfalls.

5w6 - Seeking Knowledge and Security

The 6 wing brings an orientation to detail and technical knowledge, along with the tendency to think in logical sequence. Especially intellectual, far more analytical than Fives with a 4 wing. Can be loyal friends, offering strong behind-the-scenes support. Kind, patient teachers, skillful experts. May have a sense of mission and work hard. Sometimes project an aura of sensitive nerdiness and have clumsy social skills. When defensive, they can be unnerved by the expectations of others. May like people more but avoid them more. Especially sensitive to social indebtedness. Could have trouble saying "thank you." Fear of taking action, develop "information addiction" instead. Ask lots of questions but don't get around to the decision at hand. When more entranced, they develop a suspicious scrutiny of other people's motives but can also be blind followers. Misanthropic and Scrooge-like when defensive. More able to keep their feelings cut off in a constant way. Can be cold, skeptical, ironic, and disassociated. A Five's 6 wing can be phobic or counterphobic. Counterphobic 6 wing brings courage and antiauthoritarian attitudes. When defensive they may mock authority, or angrily tell others off. Tend to "push the envelope," experiment, find what the limits are."

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
"5w4 - Seeking Knowledge and Identity

The difference between the 4 wing and the 6 wing in Fives is like the difference between Art and Science. 4 wing brings an abstract, intuitive cast of thought, as though the Five were thinking in geometric shapes instead of words or realistic images. May be talented artistically and inhabit moods like Fours do. Combine intellectual and emotional imagination. Enjoy the realm of philosophy and beautiful constructs of thought. The marriage of mental perspective and aesthetics is the best of life for them. When more defensive may seem a little ghostly, have a whisper in their voice. Fluctuate between impersonal withdrawal and bursts of friendly caring. Can get floaty and abstract. Act like they're inside a bubble, sometimes with an air of implicit superiority. Cliché of the "absentminded professor" applies especially to Fives with this wing. Environmentally sensitive and subject at times to total overwhelm. Touchy about criticism. Can be slow to recover from traumatic events. Melancholy isolation and bleak existential depression are possible pitfalls.

I relate more to this description.

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Very confident of being INTP and a 5 of some sort. Many people on this thread have said I am quintessentially INTP and I relate heavily to inferior Fe. I have considered all the NP types as many people see me as a strong Ne user but INTP is by far the best fit. I do sometimes consider ENTP at times.

As for the sx/so/sp business . I have little understanding of how they work but I would say sx fits as I seek close and intimate relationships.

Rouskyrie

Very confident of being INTP and a 5 of some sort. Many people on this thread have said I am quintessentially INTP and I relate heavily to inferior Fe. I have considered all the NP types as many people see me as a strong Ne user but INTP is by far the best fit. I do sometimes consider ENTP at times.

As for the sx/so/sp business . I have little understanding of how they work but I would say sx fits as I seek close and intimate relationships.

"Social Fives focus their avarice and hoarding in the social realm, meaning that they socialize through their particular areas of expertise. Fives endeavor to master some skill or body of knowledge, and they relate to others primarily through that area of their mastery. As social types, Social Fives are more comfortable interacting with people, but their comfort is largely dependent on having a context for being in a social situation. They need a particular task or function that gives them the confidence to interact with people (for example, being the DJ at a party, or having a specific topic of discussion at a social event).They enjoy talking intensely with other people who share their (sometimes esoteric) interests—either in person or through the Internet. Social Fives feel that their expertise is what they can "bring to the table" since they make it their business to learn things that others may need. While generally quiet, Social Fives can become quite talkative if their area of knowledge becomes the topic of conversation—anything from computer expertise to trivia about movies or comic books is fair game. Less healthy Social Fives can become elitist, feeling others are too unintelligent to understand their thoughts or conversation. They can also be fiercely argumentative, losing social connections by reactively proving others' ideas inadequate.

Self-Preservation Fives are the most introverted Fives—the Fives most likely to seek long periods of privacy and solitude. The hoarding of the Five is focused in the areas of practical resources, living quarters, and personal space. Self-Pres Fives attempt to find out how few self-preservation needs they can subsist on, likely agreeing with Thoreau's statement that "A man is rich in proportion to what he can do without." They are intensely private people who seem to require few comforts, even if they have substantial personal wealth. To some degree, they enjoy the company of trusted others and enjoy sharing their knowledge with people. They can also be counted on for their sense of whimsy and oddball humor. Nonetheless, Self-Pres Fives need lots of time by themselves to regenerate their energy. Many choose to live alone, or if they are in a partnership, they require personal space (such as a study or a nook in the basement) into which others, even loved ones, will not intrude. They also tend to hoard personal effects, stockpiling their homes like castles preparing for a siege. As much as they may like and admire others, they attempt to keep their relationships few and simple, so that they can focus on what holds interest for them.

Sexual Fives focus their hoarding in the area of intimate relationships. The combination of instinct and type are at odds here: the Five defense is to withdraw, while the sexual instinct demands intimacy and connection. Most Sexual Fives live in an uneasy truce between these polar influences, but they seek to resolve this tension by slowly inviting prospective intimates into their own secret world. Sexual Fives are primarily focused in their imaginations, but they believe that most others would find their thoughts and preoccupations dark and even frightening. At the very least, they are certain that others will find them odd or eccentric. Nonetheless, they want to share their perceptions and hidden worlds and secretly hope to have a deep connection with a single soul, a mate for life, who can understand them and their sometimes bizarre views of reality. Intimacy for them entails finding someone else who will explore the surreal vistas of their inner world. They also look to their partner for some degree of help in dealing with people and the practical affairs of life. They hope that their partner will run interference for them and give them confidence to navigate the external world. If Sexual Fives are disappointed in love, they may retreat and remain unattached for long periods of time, even years."

Information on the instinctual variants can be found here: Socionics - the16types.info - Instinctual Stackings (I hope it will be of use to you).

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
"Social Fives focus their avarice and hoarding in the social realm, meaning that they socialize through their particular areas of expertise. Fives endeavor to master some skill or body of knowledge, and they relate to others primarily through that area of their mastery. As social types, Social Fives are more comfortable interacting with people, but their comfort is largely dependent on having a context for being in a social situation. They need a particular task or function that gives them the confidence to interact with people (for example, being the DJ at a party, or having a specific topic of discussion at a social event).They enjoy talking intensely with other people who share their (sometimes esoteric) interests—either in person or through the Internet. Social Fives feel that their expertise is what they can "bring to the table" since they make it their business to learn things that others may need. While generally quiet, Social Fives can become quite talkative if their area of knowledge becomes the topic of conversation—anything from computer expertise to trivia about movies or comic books is fair game. Less healthy Social Fives can become elitist, feeling others are too unintelligent to understand their thoughts or conversation. They can also be fiercely argumentative, losing social connections by reactively proving others' ideas inadequate.

This is the one I relate to most as I do need an outlet for my 5ness so to speak. I am at my best when I can share my knowledge and interests with others. I feel good when I can bring myself to the table so to speak. After that I would say sx and least I would say sp.

Rouskyrie

5w4 - xwx - xwx So/Sx/Sp. It would seem the pieces are coming together quite nicely. Especially since you mentioned the influence of 2 and 9. That leaves only finding the wings and their placements within the tritype.

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
5w4 - xwx - xwx So/Sx/Sp. It would seem the pieces are coming together quite nicely. Especially since you mentioned the influence of 2 and 9. That leaves only finding the wings and their placements within the tritype.

It is like a jigsaw I would say. It also explains why I sometimes act more like an ENTP than an INTP. For the 9 it could go ether way. I relate to 9w8 as I can get aggressive and nasty if pushed while I relate to 9w1 as I can be a perfectionist and have a strong moral code (I do not have a single Fi atom in my body so that is strange. Any F I show is Fe not Fi.). As for the 2 I would say that I lean 2w3 as I do have some 3 drive to achieve and be seen as successful and well put together.

Rouskyrie

It is like a jigsaw I would say. It also explains why I sometimes act more like an ENTP than an INTP.

Now let's take a look at 9 and 2, shall we?

9w8

"Awakened Nines with an 8 wing have a modest, steady, receptive core. They are charged by the dynamism of 8 - when focused on goals they often have great force of will. Get things done, make good leaders. May have an animal magnetism of which they are only partly aware. Can seem highly centered, take what they do seriously but remain unimpressed with themselves. 8 wing can bring a strong internal sense of direction. Relatively fearless and highly intuitive. Generally not intellectual unless they have it in their background. When more entranced, they manifest the contradictions of the two styles expressing them in sequence. Could be passively amiable like a Nine and then turn horribly blunt like an 8. One moment they are opinionated or nasty, next moment kindly and supportive. Often don't hear their voices when angry. Can have a sharp, grating edge. May be slow to anger and then explode. Or angry but don't know it; may confuse being assertive with being rude. Placidly callous - both styles support numbness. Tactless and indiscriminate and indiscreet. May be unwittingly disloyal, spilling everyone's secrets. Sexual confusion, sometimes they are driven by lust."

9w1

"Tend to have been "model children." Instinctively worked to please their parents by being virtuous, orderly, and little trouble. When awakened, they have great moral authority plus good-hearted peacemaking tendencies. Often have a sense of mission, public or private, that involves working hard for the welfare of everyone they are committed to. Principled expression of love. Desire to contribute, do little harm. May be well-liked, modest, endearing, gentle yet firm. Some have great grace and composure with bursts of spontaneity and sweetness. Elegant simplicity. When entranced, they tend to be self-neglectful. May go passively dead and operate from a dubious, fractured morality. Dutiful to what they shouldn't be. Play the good child, disappear into contexts, settle for being overlooked or just partly recognized. Passive tolerance of absurd or damaging situations. One-sided relationships where the Nine gives too much. Rationalize, minimize, tell themselves they had a great childhood, everything's fine. Placid numbness creeps over them. Intolerance of their own emotions. Gradually deaden their soul."

2w1

"This wing brings conscience and emotional containment to the basic Two style. When healthy, they act from general principles about the value of serving others. Ethics come before pride. May hold themselves to high standards. More discreet and respectful of other people's boundaries. When upset, tend to go quiet and experience strong emotions internally. More melancholy than Twos with a 3 wing. When less healthy and entranced, tend to confuse their sense of mission with self-centered needs. Go blind to their own motives; invade and dominate others. Believe their actions are perfectly justified by their ethic of helping. May repress their personal desires and focus on others as a way to avoid guilty dilemma between the rules and their inner needs. If really blind they will warp their ethics crazily to justify personal selfishness and prideful hostility."

2w3

"This wing brings Twos an extra measure of sociability and the capacity to make things happen. When healthy, can be charming, good-natured and heartfelt. Really get things done, serve effectively on projects that involve the well-being of others. Thrive on group process and are generally good communicators. Enjoy keeping several threads or projects going at once. Entranced Twos with a 3 wing can be quite emotionally competitive and controlling. 3 wing brings a double dose of vanity. Strong tendency to live in one's images. May grow brazenly deluded, preferring their glamorous, self-important scenarios to reality. Tendencies to deceit and emotional calculation. Highly manipulative. This wing is also more extroverted; dramatization of feeling in the form of hysterical snit-fits is far more possible."

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
9w1

"Tend to have been "model children." Instinctively worked to please their parents by being virtuous, orderly, and little trouble. When awakened, they have great moral authority plus good-hearted peacemaking tendencies. Often have a sense of mission, public or private, that involves working hard for the welfare of everyone they are committed to. Principled expression of love. Desire to contribute, do little harm. May be well-liked, modest, endearing, gentle yet firm. Some have great grace and composure with bursts of spontaneity and sweetness. Elegant simplicity. When entranced, they tend to be self-neglectful. May go passively dead and operate from a dubious, fractured morality. Dutiful to what they shouldn't be. Play the good child, disappear into contexts, settle for being overlooked or just partly recognized. Passive tolerance of absurd or damaging situations. One-sided relationships where the Nine gives too much. Rationalize, minimize, tell themselves they had a great childhood, everything's fine. Placid numbness creeps over them. Intolerance of their own emotions.Gradually deaden their soul."

I relate more to 9w1 but I do have the anger outbursts described in the 9w8 section. Overall I fit the "teachers pet" vibe of 9w1 more than the cool loner vibe of 9w8.

2w1

"This wing brings conscience and emotional containment to the basic Two style. When healthy, they act from general principles about the value of serving others. Ethics come before pride. May hold themselves to high standards. More discreet and respectful of other people's boundaries. When upset, tend to go quiet and experience strong emotions internally. More melancholy than Twos with a 3 wing. When less healthy and entranced, tend to confuse their sense of mission with self-centered needs. Go blind to their own motives; invade and dominate others. Believe their actions are perfectly justified by their ethic of helping. May repress their personal desires and focus on others as a way to avoid guilty dilemma between the rules and their inner needs. If really blind they will warp their ethics crazily to justify personal selfishness and prideful hostility."

I relate more to 2w1 than 2w3.

Rouskyrie

I relate more to 9w1 but I do have the anger outbursts described in the 9w8 section. Overall I fit the "teachers pet" vibe of 9w1 more than the cool loner vibe of 9w8.

I relate more to 2w1 than 2w3.

If you're looking at your tritype as being a system involving three strategies, which of the two is your "go to" after 5? In essence, this will have the most influence after 5w4.

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
If you're looking at your tritype as being a system involving three strategies, which of the two is your "go to" after 5? In essence, this will have the most influence after 5w4.

After 5w4 I would say personally that 2w1 comes before 9w1 as I am widely considered a very helpful and kind person who can at times be overly helpful.