• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

S vs N? IXTJ needing help.

WolfRayet

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so
Hello and Thank you.

For awhile now I've been confused about my type as many sources (including people) seem to have differing opinions about my MBTI type.

Up until now, I thought I was ISTJ because of my usual 16personalities result of 52-59% S (occasionally I get N). However, the extended Socionics test gave me an interesting LII (INTJ) to where I was iNtuitive by a long shot (After which I retook and got the same result). On the other traits I am fairly solid (I 75%, T 75%, J 90%).

My career reflects that of an INTJ as I am a nuclear physicist at Texas A&M.

I can agree that I am a detail oriented person which would fit with typical S.

A good friend of mine (INFJ) would say I am an S but it took him some time despite his expertise in MBTI and socio-typing. Some other MBTI amateurs I know describe me as an N or S with a divided crowd.

It is also hard to make base on as ISTJs' descriptions of "Down to Earth" attitude does not fit me all that well. INTJs' descriptions have flaws but I could believe I am INTJ or ISTJ.

Snickie

also not a cat
MBTI Type
InTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Have you tried typing by functions rather than by dichotomies?

Do some research and try to figure out which axis to which you relate more (assuming you are ITJ)
Si/Ne (ISTJ)
Ni/Se (INTJ)

Meanwhile a few questions:

How do you act when you're stressed?
What are you like when you don't recognize yourself? "I can't believe I just did that! What was I thinking?" Do you self-indulge? Do you act paranoid?

Do you tend to make judgements based on past information and past events or on your vision of the future and how you think things will or want them to turn out?

I'm also going to bring up a Socionics thing:
In the Model A, LII (INTj) values and is strong in Ti-Ne, which some people say corresponds more to MBTI's INTP (Ti-Ne). The p/j letter difference comes from the fact that in MBTI, the P/J indicates the extroverted function in the cognitive pair, and in Socionics it comes from the base (or dominant) function, which in introverts is an introverted function. That's why LII is INTj but shares functions (in name, at least) with INTP. (This is also why the last letter in Socionics was lowercase.)

Furthermore, the Socionics functions (rather, information elements) are defined somewhat differently than the Jung cognitive functions. Given the different definitions of functions and the overall different systems, it is possible to have non-matching types between systems. Like I'm SLI (ISTp / Si-Te) in Socionics but I'm 80% sure I'm INTP (Ti-Ne) in MBTI.

WolfRayet

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so
Am a very future oriented person. When I am stressed I usually can push it out and keep making progress. I do not self-indulge and I am of average paranoia. I have gone over the many aspects of the situation over the span of several hours and remain an X for the time being because some analysis of MBTI S vs N definitions have me shifted one way or the other. I took another popular MBTI test which set me at 60% N. I talked to my expert friend and he thinks I need to either permanently accept X or find a normalized MBTI definition for S and N and try to prove preference. Socionics seems to be a little more accurate than it seems as my friend has a personal account and I have several other accounts of their Socionics types to be accurate with their MBTI results (assuming they had all stable traits with MBTI results around 65%).

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
N argues conceptually, S argues about the details.

How do you argue?

I know generic, but we are taling dom Ni vs dom Si not just N or S letter

Punderstorm

Wallflower power!
MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
How do you act when stressed?

MBTI Type
*NF*
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
N argues conceptually, S argues about the details.

How do you argue?

I know generic, but we are taling dom Ni vs dom Si not just N or S letter

SF never argue. SF kick your ass instead of arguing.

IF you are an ISTJ, before kicking ass you'd probably think that ass could have been different, but as you think it is actually annoying you...
but then you think (again!) how it really seems to you, you doubt it for a while, look at the truth is the eyes. You wouldn't have need to kick it and are sorry but that isn't correct you must kick it anyway :thinking:

IF you are INTJ, you'd probably analyse why that ass is on your way, which size it is, how dirty it is, where it probably comes from, and try to avoid its way. Kick is the very last option.
For sure, you'll KNOW which ass you're kicking. And you'll make this ass understand you KNOW anyway !

Hope it is more clear for you now ;)

WolfRayet

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so
If I had to pick I would think I argue about the details and evidence more so in speaking. However, such is not true when I have written essays, reports, grant requests, speeches, and stories. I am a perfectionist and I don't stop writing and revising until it flows well. I don't know if this information is useful but in highschool, I wrote what was considered to be very strong essays and speeches by classmates and teachers.

Also, I found a good and thorough discussion on an undecided ISTJ/INTJ which talks about Ni and Si dom.

Ni-dom or Si-dom?

WolfRayet

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so
Did more research, took, and retook the Extended Socionics test offered by sociotype.com.

Result (Both times):

LIE (ENTj)

Te-Ni-Fe-Si-Fi-Se-Ti-Ne

Unlike what many predict my j/p did not change but I believe it to be due to a very strong J as indicated by repeatedly high results (90%) on MBTI tests.

I thought the E was strange but I believe that the image portion of the socio-type test pushes it from a 60%ish I toward E being that I always inadvertently chose introverted characters.

Purple INFJ

MBTI Type
INFJ
INTJs tend to be absent-minded. ISTJs tend to have an easier grip on the quotidian.

Do you tend to find it easy to deal with quotidian details? Or is it a struggle for you?

WolfRayet

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so
Thank you guys, I appreciate your input.

I have come to the conclusion that I am INTJ.

As my research progresses I find that more INFJ qualities and definitions apply to me. Also, I gathered my good friends online and they came to a consensus that I would be better classified as an N.

I Took the 16 personalities test (since I had not in a couple weeks) and INTJ-A was the result as was the result on a few other tests. And as for Socionics, I classify as ENTJ-1Te (http://http://www.sociotype.com/tests/result/est/176467).

Last edited:

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
SF never argue. SF kick your ass instead of arguing.

IF you are an ISTJ, before kicking ass you'd probably think that ass could have been different, but as you think it is actually annoying you...
but then you think (again!) how it really seems to you, you doubt it for a while, look at the truth is the eyes. You wouldn't have need to kick it and are sorry but that isn't correct you must kick it anyway :thinking:

IF you are INTJ, you'd probably analyse why that ass is on your way, which size it is, how dirty it is, where it probably comes from, and try to avoid its way. Kick is the very last option.
For sure, you'll KNOW which ass you're kicking. And you'll make this ass understand you KNOW anyway !

Hope it is more clear for you now ;)

INTJ will go into depth about what an ass is, all the different things it is likened to, conceptual analogies galore.

ISTJ will categorize and group it. Tight, flabby, peach, pear, stuck up, puckered, etc.

Its all about what direction you side step.

WolfRayet

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so
INTJ will go into depth about what an ass is, all the different things it is likened to, conceptual analogies galore.

ISTJ will categorize and group it. Tight, flabby, peach, pear, stuck up, puckered, etc.

It's all about what direction you side step.

I definitely do the first. N nation rules.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I definitely do the first. N nation rules.

Drives my ENFP GF nuts when her S side is strong. Ni can be so conceptually half ass with its analogies her S goes crazy. Then Ni uses conceptual half ass to defend its conceptual half ass its a never ending back and forth. I have to step in between when this happens and pick a path to see real world data.

For example Ni came up with a way to estimate car payments, it was off from the calculator my GF used. They went back and forth and back and forth between numbers until i got back, stepped in and said...it doesnt matter...pull credit reports, pass it to financing, run the numbers and tell me what the real numbers are. We are done arguing over hypotheticals. Was a waste of their time and frustration.

They both have a time and place.