• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Does anti-intellectualism annoy you?

lostlanguage

Definitely annoying.... this question is so timely with the U.S. elections coming up. Anti-intellectualism in politics totally bothers me.

Another thing that really bothers me is when people think being aggressive/criticizing others means being an "expert" and that this trumps knowledge.

Finally for academic stuff, I used to worry I wasn't a real intellectual because half of the stuff people talked about in articles just annoyed me.

But I think you can be skeptical and independent and not in love with every intellectual idea but not against intellectualism. That's what the mind is for anyhow...

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I suspect it has always been this way and the older generation feels like they know much based on experience, while newer generations are overwhelmed with more information via technology updates than they can keep up with. I do not know if it is so much anti-intellectualism as the basic truth that there will always be more information available than one individual can process.

I think this is it, especially the bolded part.

Well they're not really going to learn much just from reading news articles. In fact you may get more stupid.

I'm not a fan of anti-intellectualism nor am I a fan of the worship of academic elites.

Sometimes the more you read, the more confusing it can get, especially when articles keep contradicting each other. If you're not very well versed in that subject, it may not always be easy to sort the wheat from the chaff.

Academic elites really bother me too. Even moreso than anti-intellectuals.

Lark

Hah, I didn't think it was that harsh.. but this and my reps say otherwise. And.. I wasn't drunk, if I was different, maybe it's because I was sober. ;)

I should have typed "when I said you were drunk or something" sorry dude, I'm not sure whether it was harsh or not just blundered in mid thread.

I've been sick and feverish a lot of the time when I've been posting.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
anti-intellectualism as a universal position is equivalent to closing your eyes, covering your ears, and singing "LA LA LA" as loud as possible. Not a good idea.

In certain contexts, if people want to revel in stupidity, that's their choice and it might be fun for them, but in contexts where the problems are serious, complex, and it requires extra effort to get accurate information, then if we aren't smart, we will destroy ourselves.

W

WhoCares

Meh! Its just people. I'm more interested in what I'm doing with my brain than what other people are doing. If intellectualism is in decline (I doubt it) then its only a mtter of time before I'm the smartest one in the room...:happy2:

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think anti-intellectualism is intellectualism in disguise since it is acting against what most people consider to be smart behavior which is basically just to act mature and do what everyone else is doing, this being contrary to the very nature of improvement and innovation so no it does not annoy me as I consider anti-intellectualism to be intelligent behavior.