• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] NF Mental Health Thread

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
This is a general place to share your tips and what has worked for you when you are in a bad funk. Also resources appreciated.

I am not an NF I've been having some fierce symptoms recently and meditation has been one of the only things that begin to touch on it at the worst times. I know that is a super general tip but I am hopeful that forcing attention on my body and the present and gaining control of my thoughts will help with the specific types of distress I tend to experience.

*None of this is medical or professional advice.*

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I actually seriously resonate with that trying to be in the present thing. I think it has helped me some with my anxiety. but I still need more work on it.

Perhaps irrational but a small coping fun I developed is playdoh.

if you just need something to fidget, you can rub it around
if you need a distraction, try to build with it
it is also super cheap. XD

Saturnal Snowqueen

Solastalgia 𓍊𓋼𓍊𓋼𓍊
MBTI Type
FELV
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I think keeping busy is really is important. It's hard though, cause you get so caught up in your anxious thoughts that it is hard to get out of your head even though that's probably the most important thing. But yeah, cause of corona I had been anywhere for at least a month, so my mind's been funny places. Since nothing much new has been going on, I've realized that basically my minds' been recycling the same old thoughts(which include some bad memories). It also needs to come up with new stuff on its own, which means my mind can come up with some really deep and bizarre things. Some of that stuff includes equating forgetting homework to forgetting to feed your cat, or thinking how the world will eventually run out of new things. It's annoying and draining and it sucks out your will to do anything. But then Wednesday I finally got out for a shot, and then yesterday I went to Walmart and went to the BK drive-thru. Even though it was something simple as a shot, I went home feeling refreshed and strangely happy and energetic. There wasn't anything special about the shot itself, but just getting out and doing something different felt like a break to me. So yeah, even though I'm tempted to hide from people all day, going out and seeing the world does wonders.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Therapy and medication for me. Kind of a boring, standard answer... but yeah. Creative writing a bit/journaling has helped too

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think keeping busy is really is important. It's hard though, cause you get so caught up in your anxious thoughts that it is hard to get out of your head even though that's probably the most important thing. But yeah, cause of corona I had been anywhere for at least a month, so my mind's been funny places. Since nothing much new has been going on, I've realized that basically my minds' been recycling the same old thoughts(which include some bad memories). It also needs to come up with new stuff on its own, which means my mind can come up with some really deep and bizarre things. Some of that stuff includes equating forgetting homework to forgetting to feed your cat, or thinking how the world will eventually run out of new things. It's annoying and draining and it sucks out your will to do anything. But then Wednesday I finally got out for a shot, and then yesterday I went to Walmart and went to the BK drive-thru. Even though it was something simple as a shot, I went home feeling refreshed and strangely happy and energetic. There wasn't anything special about the shot itself, but just getting out and doing something different felt like a break to me. So yeah, even though I'm tempted to hide from people all day, going out and seeing the world does wonders.

I can relate with this. I went and bought some chicken breast from Albertsons deli... I heard putting it in the oven cooking for like 5 minutes would kill anything on it...so I did that and had my chicken and it just felt really fucking nice. Helped me regain sanity briefly. My routines are so out of whack. x.x

neko 4

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
I have schizoaffective disorder and many different ways to cope with it. Meds are important as is therapy. Some smaller, day to day things: an affirmation list really helps. Having a healthy, routine day also does.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
I don't do therapy and I hate the meds.

Prayer and persevering do me fine.

Coll

MBTI Type
INFJ
I don't do therapy and I hate the meds.

Honestly I’m not a fan of the meds since I’ve known two people I was super close with have there lives nearly destroyed. Now that could be blamed solely on the doctors but that’s the point. We are putting our literal minds in the hands of complete strangers. I just don’t have the guts to go out like that.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Honestly I’m not a fan of the meds since I’ve known two people I was super close with have there lives nearly destroyed. Now that could be blamed solely on the doctors but that’s the point. We are putting our literal minds in the hands of complete strangers. I just don’t have the guts to go out like that.

Yeah i don't like the power doctors hold.

On this forum and probably in general, you have to, for i guess legal reasons, tell people to listen to their doctors and not give any advice pertaining to medication. So even though psychiatrists don't necessarily understand mental illness that well yet, and there is plenty of controversy surrounding psych meds, we're not allowed to give too much in the way of dissenting views.

It's not in line with truth.

Coll

MBTI Type
INFJ
The city is under constant chaos and the riots are causing great stress. I have a vulnerable household and am the only one to defend us if things go crazy (break in or want not). One person is disabled and the other is going through chemo. I feel like all this pressure like I have to be the hero of the household doing everything. I’m the worst hero ever. I’m short at times and lack patience. I’m scared of going outside (to the city area). I’m exhausted and burnt out and the riots are really making this year just completely over the top. Like the pandemic wasn’t enough. I’m also totally on the fence with several hot issues and I’m really frustrated with everyone being so extreme in their views. There’s no more middle of the road people? I feel so lonely and overwhelmed lately. I can’t get into meditating. What do I do to be more apathetic or something to disconnect and not let things bother me so much?

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What do I do to be more apathetic or something to disconnect and not let things bother me so much?

Watch cartoons? :shrug:

(Sorry you’re under so much stress— while my remark is somewhat cynical & flippant, with so many things going on at once with no clear or applicable solutions in sight anytime soon, sometimes it helps to just force yourself into ‘brain-off’ mode with some generic distraction or another for awhile. Just to turn the volume down. It’s not a solution either, but neither is driving yourself crazy over it, or making yourself more vulnerable due to constantly stressing over things well beyond the scope of any one person’s control)

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah i don't like the power doctors hold.

On this forum and probably in general, you have to, for i guess legal reasons, tell people to listen to their doctors and not give any advice pertaining to medication. So even though psychiatrists don't necessarily understand mental illness that well yet, and there is plenty of controversy surrounding psych meds, we're not allowed to give too much in the way of dissenting views.

It's not in line with truth.
We do want people to listen to their doctors. This means exactly that: listen, not blindly obey. I at least hope people listen to their doctors with a critical ear, asking questions until they understand what they are being told, and objecting if something doesn't make sense. Standard practice already encourages patients to look for a second or third opinion if they are still unsure, or want additional options. Patients should not stay with a doctor in whom they don't have confidence, or who doesn't treat them with respect as an equal partner in their care. If doctors have too much power, then we patients are complicit in giving it to them. After all, we are the "customers". We need to vote with our feet, and leave doctors who are on a power trip, or otherwise not putting the best interests of their patients first.