• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Earth is Tipping Because of Climate Change

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
We're pretty much fucked.

There are very specific things that can be done, like a fairly quick transition away from fossil fuels to the existing technology (Sweden heats most of its country with garbage, and Germany has solar power even in gray areas)...as well as dramatically decreasing meat consumption, there is a PBS version of this article that links to environmental vegetarianism and veganism....there are things we can do. Scientists are telling people that they can and should do them.

Meanwhile, in America, Donald Trump.

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
There are very specific things that can be done, like a fairly quick transition away from fossil fuels to the existing technology (Sweden heats most of its country with garbage, and Germany has solar power even in gray areas)

Just some facts before we get carried away here. 83% of Sweden's electricity is due to nuclear power and hydroelectric. Sweden currently has three nuclear plants with ten nuclear reactors in commercial operation, making it the only country in the world that has more than one reactor per million inhabitants. But nuclear power remains a topic which divides political parties in Sweden. Last time I checked environmentalists opposed the nuclear option?

Do you have numbers on how much of Sweden's heat production comes from 'garbage?'

Let's not forget that its not only transportation and power generation that consumes fossil fuels. Most of the things in your house ( if you just casually glance around you) and in a Swedish home are the product of some use of fossil fuel. Indeed most of the world's practical consumption in energy ( as measured in joules) is still overwhelmingly fossil fuels.

per-capita-world-energy-by-source.png.492x0_q85_crop-smart.png

The point I'm saying is that it can't be a 'fairly quick' transition or simple because, you know, reality...

However, I agree with your enthusiasm and spirit. :peaceout:

...as well as dramatically decreasing meat consumption, there is a PBS version of this article that links to environmental vegetarianism and veganism....there are things we can do. Scientists are telling people that they can and should do them.

Yeah I haven't really looked into this argument against animal consumption but it seems interesting. I'll look into it. Thanks. :D

Meanwhile, in America, Donald Trump.

I like the dry humor here but when you think of things wrong in America the orange haired ogre is the first thing that comes to you mind?:BangHead:

Meanwhile in America, a debt-based money system crushing most of society...quantitative easing, runaway welfare spending, unsecure borders, still waging wars it can't afford... no wait, DT is the real problem. :tongue10:

Kheledon

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
We're pretty much fucked.

Not necessarily. The theory known as "Gaialogy" posits that the Earth has its own mechanisms for maintaining homeostasis.

The Gaia hypothesis is an ecological hypothesis proposing that the biosphere and the physical components of the Earth (atmosphere, cryosphere, hydrosphere and lithosphere) are closely integrated to form a complex interacting system that maintains the climatic and biogeochemical conditions on Earth in a preferred homeostasis. Originally proposed by James Lovelock as the earth feedback hypothesis, it was named the Gaia Hypothesis after the Greek supreme goddess of Earth. The hypothesis is frequently described as viewing the Earth as a single organism. Lovelock and other supporters of the idea now call it Gaia theory, regarding it as a scientific theory and not mere hypothesis, since they believe it has passed predictive tests.

Gaia Hypothesis

I don't know that I buy this hypothesis in its entirety, but it's possible that the "wobble" or "tilt" that the Earth is now experiencing is, in fact, a corrective measure designed to restore homeostasis and balance. Ultimately, this theory posits that the Earth, itself, may save us from ourselves.

:shrug:

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Not necessarily. The theory known as "Gaialogy" posits that the Earth has its own mechanisms for maintaining homeostasis.

I don't know that I buy this hypothesis in its entirety, but it's possible that the "wobble" or "tilt" that the Earth is now experiencing is, in fact, a corrective measure designed to restore homeostasis and balance. Ultimately, this theory posits that the Earth, itself, may save us from ourselves.

I've no doubt the earth will survive humanity, but I don't know if humanity will survive the effects of the changes we have at least contributed to in part.

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx

2980493-246.jpg

Kheledon

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've no doubt the earth will survive humanity, but I don't know if humanity will survive the effects of the changes we have at least contributed to in part.

Indeed. And while I am open to the idea that the Earth may, if the theory I cited is correct, restore homeostasis on its own (over a long period of time), I think it foolish for us to use Gaiaology as a basis for public policy. The Earth is warming dramatically and quickly. It would be foolish to ignore this fact and not do something about it.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Blame Luten Plunder for climate change

Indeed. And while I am open to the idea that the Earth may, if the theory I cited is correct, restore homeostasis on its own (over a long period of time), I think it foolish for us to use Gaiaology as a basis for public policy. The Earth is warming dramatically and quickly. It would be foolish to ignore this fact and not do something about it.

Generational ships? We could flee...

Masokissed

Spoiled Brat 🍒
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Das jus tha Lord tryna shake the Republicans off our planet for disbelievin' climate change.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Many a times thriving human civilizations have fallen due to changes in climate, land, nature which affected agriculture and eventually the existence of these civilizations. You might think of Pompeii when I made that point but that was a instant natural disaster.

I am thinking of Indus Valley civilization. It was one of the oldest civilizations in the world. It got destroyed due to the pattern of rivers changing over a thousand year period. The civilization scattered.

I think the same could happen to us. It's just natural. We are fucking up the world and our descendants will pay. But this time it's man made and opposed to natural.

On a side note: Nazi Germans assumed that the Aryans who came from the north defeated and drove the Indus Valley people (who are Dravidians) away and adopted the Swaztika as the triumphant symbol of the Aryans but it was weather than drove the Dravidians (non-Aryans) away and not the might of the Aryans.

Kheledon

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Generational ships? We could flee...

Quite true. We may have to do so. So far, however, we haven't found any place to go. My preference would be to preserve our home, as we are creatures of the Earth. There's no other place I'd rather live. We are designed to live on the Earth because the Earth designed us.

Cheers! :cheers:

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Quite true. We may have to do so. So far, however, we haven't found any place to go. My preference would be to preserve our home, as we are creatures of the Earth. There's no other place I'd rather live. We are designed to live on the Earth because the Earth designed us.

Cheers! :cheers:

Right, even if we find a planet very similar to Earth, we would begin to adapt and evolve to that planet's design over a long period of time.

Kheledon

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Right, even if we find a planet very similar to Earth, we would begin to adapt and evolve to that planet's design over a long period of time.

Very possibly. Of course, if that were to happen, would we still be "human" or would we morph into what would effectively be a new species, one better designed for our new home? Would it defeat the purpose of preserving humanity if our new home changed us into something entirely new and different?

My preference remains to preserve the Earth. In fact, for the benefit of the other species with which we share this gorgeous planet, I think we have a duty to protect and preserve it.